Official Packers vs Cowboys

D

Deleted member 6794

We really were only not competitive in the Denver game. All the others we were a play or two short.

The Packers trailed the Panthers by 23 in the fourth quarter before Carolina stopped competing. They have had stretches were they weren't competitive during stretches in other games as well.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say the Pack should start the Dallas game with a hail mary pass. That is our most effective offensive play.
We have the fumbleruski into the endzone play as well. After seeing Cobb recover that Starks fumble in the endzone, I turned to Mrs. El Guapo and said that might be the only way we score tonight. The hail mary was the perfect bookend.

For 50 out of 60 minutes, our offense was attrocious last night. I give the o-line a bit of a pass but the receivers generally don't even try their hardest. I'm almost wondering if there is a rift between QB and WRs. Even during his post-game interview, R-Richards said that he never felt compelled to try harder as the losses piled up.

I want Dix and Peppers to get into a fight again. I also wish Tom Brady was barking at each Packers player right now.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hail Mary and fumblerooski. I guess we did install some new plays huh? roflmao

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A ton of radio shows and even TV networks are run by homers. I live in CT, and I listen in on some sports radio, and it's just laughable how hard they ride the Patriots.

I'm not mad at Skip for being a Cowboys fan, even though he seems to be a Pats fan they way he GUSHES over them and his mancrush Tom Brady. It's the fact that he takes an unbelievable amount of shots at Aaron and the Packers. It's absolutely ridiculous to watch, he's essentially a paid troll.

Funny thing is, he was gushing over Aaron last season, even calling him his favorite QB. It's just annoying as hell.

I'm not mad at any of these homers either, but they're not supposed to have favorites, or they at least should not be making that info known to the public...they are supposed to be objective and that's impossible to do if they have their favorite teams...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Skip guy does exactly what he's paid to do and he can have a favorite. He's an inflammatory, report nothing, no accountability, loud mouthed hack. Just like all the talk shows, sports or no sports, politics or no politics. These people exist only get make people emotional, because it keeps them coming back.

Reaction score
For the 1st time in years..Although I'm an optimist I also have a healthy degree skepticism about our Offense. They scored last night on a Hail Mary and on a redzone turnover. That was 50% of points production.
I think MM had it partly wrong.. He said we need to develop our running game so it would open play action pass. So yesterday, we repeatedly ran early and often in a futile attempt to reconcile away from our passing deficiencies.
What I see is that we need to emphasize our passing game consistency to open up our running game. Defenses are not respecting AR right now and they're showing it by being overly aggressive at the line which is seen by the full press man to man coverage. The best way to relieve full press is to successfully and repeatedly challenge the 1 on 1 match-ups downfield. Play calling needs to change in accordance with the Defensive posture. Yes, I'll say it, individuals do need to win their battles, but part of that solution comes from the training of experienced Receiver coaching, analysis of failures and corrective measures to respond to them. I don't think it's any revelation that we have more success with our passing game involving RBs in the short game (thank you Edgar)
The routes downfield are soft in general and don't create any separation.
LOS screens are too slow developing. Our success of late is 5 yard dumps and YAC on those short plays

Last edited:

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate the idea of "momentum". I don't believe players will somehow play harder because something good happened on a previous play or in a previous game. I think I hate the idea of "fans cheering somehow makes players play harder".

With that being said, maybe this miraculous, ridiculous win turns the team around. Maybe the low-point experienced in Seattle earlier in the (calendar) year will be replaced in the minds of players with the feeling of joy from last night's win?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You all are nuts. I'm a Cowboy's fan, and I'm going to be there first hand to watch the Packers wipe the field with them. It won't even be close. You have no idea how bad the Cowboys are playing.

Well, I think both our fanbases, because of how this year has played out, have had to lower expectations game to game, it's just been one of those times. In most years past, yeah I'd say this game would be a sure thing, but when your team loses to a bad 1-7 team at home that they haven't lost to there in 24 years, you can see why the expectations would change.

Now that being said, it blows my mind how our division is what it is right now ...

I mean, Minny goes on the road to open the season, loses to arguably the worst team in the NFC and one of the worst in football in general, and loses badly. Yet they go on to be 8-3 at this point in the season, just ridiculous. On our side, I don't know how you go to 6-0, drop 3 terrible stink bombs including one to that awful Lions team at home, win by 17 in Minny, go back home lose to the bad Bears on a big night, then go on the road and just look like utter crap for almost the entire game against those same Lions, and then come up with that big old miracle like that.

This is one of those years you just have no explanation for, so that is why we just don't call this game before the snap.

That being said, the Packer within me says we got this, but this game has to be played for a reason.

Reaction score
We are 1 or 2 injury free games away from getting back a slew of Offensive players. We are truly banged up and No games are gonna be easy this year because other teams are now convinced they are better than us and we're wounded.
IF we beat Dallas,even at home, this is a monumental step because then we should conceivably go into Arizona at 10-4 and relatively healthy on the injury teeter totter with momentum.
It's gonna take everything we can muster just to pull out either a 10-6 or 11-5 record and a home game or 2. I would like nothing more (except getting our Lombardi back) than to beat MN down to a pulp 3 times this year.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the team that played in the second half of yesterday's game shows up this should result in a blowout.
That's a huge "if". And even if they show up, they have to stick around for the whole game. It seems players on this team are pretty comfortable turning it on when they have to instead of turning it on before they have to. I'd rather MM go nuts in the post game speech about playing 1/2 or 1/4 a game instead of praising the "heart" of a team that was lucky to win.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll ride this wave of emotion going forward and beat Dallas by 2-3 TD's at Lambeau. I think this Detroit win can possibly be a springboard for us.

Its simple folks. There are "turning points" during a season both positive and negative. We just hit the positive and I fully believe that there is a *CHANCE* that this miracle win can springboard us and wake the team up from this 4-5 game slumber that we have been in.

As much as I hope you are right, and I believe you are, I can't help but thinking the viking game should have done the same thing. At least they played a good game in that one. This one wasn't much different than our 4 losses. The outcome was just different.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had posted in chat after the game that AR acted as if the weight of the world was off his shoulders after the win.Winning helps heal wounds both mental and physical and I think they are prime for a run to the Super Bowl. Winning games ugly may be their MO,but they have shown through adversity there is no quit in them

I agree except they won in Minnesota and they played a much better game against a much better team. If that didn't do the trick I'm not sure last nights win will either. Maybe it just didn't take the first time around.

The good news: the Pack have ten days to rest, recover and plan for the game.

The bad news: they had lots of prep time for Denver, too, and they laid an egg.

The good news: Dallas is not as good as Denver and this game will be at home.

The bad news: Chicago is also not as good as Denver and the Packers lost to them at home.

The good news: players and coaches should be at DEFCON5 for every single remaining game after nearly blowing their chances at the post-season coming from a 6-0 start.

It may be counter intuitive but defcon 5 is actually the least critical situation. I'd hope they would be at level 2 at the very least.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe this miraculous, ridiculous win turns the team around.
Why? They won with a 1 in a hundred play against a team they should have put away in the first half. What they likely learned is that they can win without playing good football for 3 quarters. That's not helpful, imo. Hopefully MM thinks the same way, but his presser after the game suggests otherwise.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a huge "if". And even if they show up, they have to stick around for the whole game. It seems players on this team are pretty comfortable turning it on when they have to instead of turning it on before they have to. I'd rather MM go nuts in the post game speech about playing 1/2 or 1/4 a game instead of praising the "heart" of a team that was lucky to win.

Why? They won with a 1 in a hundred play against a team they should have put away in the first half. What they likely learned is that they can win without playing good football for 3 quarters. That's not helpful, imo. Hopefully MM thinks the same way, but his presser after the game suggests otherwise.

This concerns me as well. What I seem to be hearing is the same old "stay the course" blather that belies any hopes for changes. The Offense tried a few things differently against Detroit, but again they went away from the run, threw repeatedly to Davante Adams, and playing schoolyard ball in the 2nd half when AR basically took matters in his own hands.

The offensive scheme still looks predictable and ineffective to me.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I hate the idea of "momentum". I don't believe players will somehow play harder because something good happened on a previous play or in a previous game. I think I hate the idea of "fans cheering somehow makes players play harder".

With that being said, maybe this miraculous, ridiculous win turns the team around. Maybe the low-point experienced in Seattle earlier in the (calendar) year will be replaced in the minds of players with the feeling of joy from last night's win?

When good things happen in a game, do you think that can give a player or players more confidence?

Players have stated how important fans cheering give them an emotional lift..I heard Leroy Butler mention it on wssp out of Milwaukee about a month back.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When good things happen in a game, do you think that can give a player or players more confidence?

Players have stated how important fans cheering give them an emotional lift..I heard Leroy Butler mention it on wssp out of Milwaukee about a month back.

I don't know; I never heard the fans when on the field during a game, just what was going on on the field and coaches yelling from the sidelines.
Then again I never played in front of 75,000 plus fans, so I'll take their word for it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know; I never heard the fans when on the field during a game, just what was going on on the field and coaches yelling from the sidelines.
Then again I never played in front of 75,000 plus fans, so I'll take their word for it.
When I was in college, I was in the band. I also lived off campus all 4 years. Several of my roommates were football players. (For 2 years, my neighbors were female cheerleaders but that's another tale.) When I asked them about this, they said, yes they heard the crowd and the band and they did draw energy from it. Timeouts would refresh the spirit as well as the body.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I was in college, I was in the band. I also lived off campus all 4 years. Several of my roommates were football players. (For 2 years, my neighbors were female cheerleaders but that's another tale.) When I asked them about this, they said, yes they heard the crowd and the band and they did draw energy from it. Timeouts would refresh the spirit as well as the body.

Good enough, although in the case of pros I'm a bit more skeptical of how much the fans and their support mean to them. Good PR is important to players and the league. To laugh and say they couldn't care less about the fans and their cheering wouldn't fly to well.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Confidence? Bringing the team together? I'm not sure how or why or if the win will help. Just hoping it does in some way.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No. I don't think a "good play" or "fans cheering hard" has a lasting affect. It might pump a team up for the next play, but I believe it gets forgotten soon after. Plus, there is not quantifiable evidence that it affects anything.

It's like fighting in hockey or hitting a batter in baseball. The "pump up" affect is temporary.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are 1 or 2 injury free games away from getting back a slew of Offensive players. We are truly banged up
Check out the injury list on the Patriots. Belichek seems to demand--and get--good performances from the subs year after year.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. I don't think a "good play" or "fans cheering hard" has a lasting affect. It might pump a team up for the next play, but I believe it gets forgotten soon after. Plus, there is not quantifiable evidence that it affects anything.

It's like fighting in hockey or hitting a batter in baseball. The "pump up" affect is temporary.

It might not give them a long lasting effect with a one play. But I think it becomes a snowball effect, just like losing becomes contagious.
One great play can cause this team to come out great the next game and not get behind how they have the past few games, getting ahead, means they can run the ball more, which means it gives the Oline confidence, which can then start blocking better, giving arod more confidence in the blocking, and so on. Before you know it. It can become a team that "gets hot".

Members online

Latest posts