Martellus Bennett Recent similar threads merged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Funny how the classic argument around here has always been that Thompson should get no credit for resigning his own players, and that signing another team's free agent is inherently better. Yet now.... doing exactly that makes him an idiot.

Well said, those are the kinds of statements that make sense lol

and Mondio, I agree with you on a lot of things in principle. But just because someone says TT messed up with this or that, I for one am not calling the guy a total buffoon, just pointing out where I would have gone with it and why. Trust me, I don't know 1/10000th of what TT knows and if I was a GM, even the Cleveland Browns would be lining up to kick my teams ***.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said, those are the kinds of statements that make sense lol

and Mondio, I agree with you on a lot of things in principle. But just because someone says TT messed up with this or that, I for one am not calling the guy a total buffoon, just pointing out where I would have gone with it and why. Trust me, I don't know 1/10000th of what TT knows and if I was a GM, even the Cleveland Browns would be lining up to kick my teams ***.
don't agree with me too much, someone has to keep this place a little spicy LOL

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny how the classic argument around here has always been that Thompson should get no credit for resigning his own players, and that signing another team's free agent is inherently better. Yet now.... doing exactly that makes him an idiot.

Classic arguments are really not relevant here. Going by past 2-3 years, we've let go of a 'decent' players who went on to have 'very good' seasons almost immediately. And none of the FA signings have worked.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Classic arguments are really not relevant here. Going by past 2-3 years, we've let go of a 'decent' players who went on to have 'very good' seasons almost immediately. And none of the FA signings have worked.
I'd say it was extremely relevant. The point is not everything works out the way you would like it to. I just don't understand why pointing out things in hindsight makes certain people think they could have done a better job. We have argued the Hayward situation ad nauseum.... Cook worked out as a free agent... it would have been nice if we could have kept him. Hyde is playing safety ..... we don't need another safety...

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And these are almost all defensive players you're talking about here. Shouldn't that be the final proof that Capers is the problem?

D

Deleted member 6794

The Patriots have brought back Martellus Bennett to New England.

D

Deleted member 6794

The difference between Ted and New England is when New England goes after free agents, they get them at bargains. Ted has thrown too much money for Peppers, Bennett, and maybe even Woodson (bear in mind at the time he had very few offers. I know I know, in hindsight it was an all time great move but talk to Packer fans in 2006 and ask them if they felt like he was overpaid). I think Ted gets desperate at times maybe just for him to send a message to fans, 'see, I do go after free agents'.

While I definitely don't agree with every move by Thompson it's ridiculous to suggest he has consistently overpaid for free agents. Both Peppers and Woodson definitely outperformed their contracts in Green Bay.

If I were Rodgers I'd opt out of my contract at the end of the year and sign somewhere else where they have a competent GM that can build a Super Bowl contender that only needs a quarterback like Denver.

Fortunately there's no way Rodgers can opt out of his contract with the Packers.

Realistically we have a chance to go 7-9. I'm not saying I like this, but again...it is what it is.

Realistically I'm not convinced the Packers are going to beat the Browns in week 14.

I'd say it was extremely relevant. The point is not everything works out the way you would like it to. I just don't understand why pointing out things in hindsight makes certain people think they could have done a better job.

Unfortunately most moves, be that in the draft, free agency or deciding to let the team's own players walk away, Thompson has made over the past few years haven't worked out. That's why overall the roster completely lacks talent.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I definitely don't agree with every move by Thompson it's ridiculous to suggest he has consistently overpaid for free agents. Both Peppers and Woodson definitely outperformed their contracts in Green Bay.

Fortunately there's no way Rodgers can opt out of his contract with the Packers.

Realistically I'm not convinced the Packers are going to beat the Browns in week 14.

Unfortunately most moves, be that in the draft, free agency or deciding to let the team's own players walk away, Thompson has made over the past few years haven't worked out. That's why overall the roster completely lacks talent.
You keep making that claim as if it were a fact that the roster lacks talent .... it is an opinion which I disagree with.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots have brought back Martellus Bennett to New England.

We are off the hook for his remaining base salary this year, but still on the hook for the entirety of his signing bonus, correct?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are off the hook for his remaining base salary this year, but still on the hook for the entirety of his signing bonus, correct?

You are Correct. Man, lol I told y'all he quit on the Packers. Once Rodgers went down he was done. Smh I have lost ALL respect for The dude haha but I can't even be mad at him. Green Bay isn't going anywhere

D

Deleted member 6794

You keep making that claim as if it were a fact that the roster lacks talent .... it is an opinion which I disagree with.

Did you watch the last three games since Rodgers was lost for the season??? In my opinion it's ridiculous for someone to argue the Packers don't lack overall talent after the way they performed during that stretch.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect within the next 24 hours Bennett will be badmouthing the Packers and his shoulder will have miraculously healed and will be good to go Sunday night against the Broncos, reawakening his love of the game and continuing his career for three more years.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
don't know what would be more fitting for him, to drop the game winner to go to the super bowl? blow out a knee? watch everything all apart around them after Tom Brady goes down so he can quit on them too?

What a punk. can't even express what a POS of a man I think he is right now. I feel dirty for ever defending him. Not much I despise more than quitters, and that he is.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are Correct. Man, lol I told y'all he quit on the Packers. Once Rodgers went down he was done. Smh I have lost ALL respect for The dude haha but I can't even be mad at him. Green Bay isn't going anywhere
There's a reason why this alleged great talent has been with five teams in his ten year career.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now we have a clear image of who he is. He doesn't want to take a team to the next level, he just wants to be at a place where he can win and be productive without that type of pressure on him.

Cook excited us about having a quality TE, Bennett signed a big contract with us, and he realized that he would need to be a focal point if this team were to go anywhere, instead of a role player. That was too much pressure for him, leading to all of the drops. He learned a thing or two about the talent in GB, as many are, and without a coach to inspire him or anyone else, he wanted nothing to do with this team.

That's my theory.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you watch the last three games since Rodgers was lost for the season??? In my opinion it's ridiculous for someone to argue the Packers don't lack overall talent after the way they performed during that stretch.
This has been discussed in many threads over the last few days .... I'm not going to repeat every argument all over again... suffice it to say that there are many reasons to explain bad play.. a lack of talent is certainly not the only one ... despite your attempt to characterize your opinion as fact.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll probably do better back in New England, but I say good riddance anyway. The Packers are going nowhere this year with or without him, and he was clearly not likely to help us going forward.

Maybe we can draft Troy Fumagalli to fill the hole.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
This has been discussed in many threads over the last few days .... I'm not going to repeat every argument all over again... suffice it to say that there are many reasons to explain bad play.. a lack of talent is certainly not the only one ... despite your attempt to characterize your opinion as fact.
I'm not sure why it's so difficult for people to admit that our team simply isn't as talented as some of you initially claimed.

D

Deleted member 6794

Whatever, the Packers have looked like possibly the worst the team in the league since Rodgers, who has been covering up for a ton of shortcomings in the past, went down yet there are still Thompson supporters not being able to admit the roster lacks overall talent. :rolleyes:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm not sure why it's so difficult for people to admit that our team simply isn't as talented as some of you initially claimed.

Because they will protect Thompson until the end and firmly believe he can do no wrong. It can't be his fault. This team may finish 4-12 and I'm convinced people will still try to make excuses for him and point the finger in a different direction.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever, the Packers have looked like possibly the worst the team in the league since Rodgers, who has been covering up for a ton of shortcomings in the past, went down yet there are still Thompson supporters not being able to admit the roster lacks overall talent. :rolleyes:
For what it's worth I'm hoping Thompson retires this year... I just don't agree that the roster has no talent... I would be very interested to see what this defense could do under a new coordinator. I think the offense has some very good players right now as well.. the current QB may very well be the worst in the league however.

D

Deleted member 6794

I just don't agree that the roster has no talent... I would be very interested to see what this defense could do under a new coordinator. I think the offense has some very good players right now as well.. the current QB may very well be the worst in the league however.

Don't put any words in my mouth, I repeatedly said the overall roster lacks talent. Compared to other teams that has been pretty obvious over the past three games. Hundley definitely has been a disappointment so far but I'm not convinced any other quarterback in the league aside of Rodgers could lead this team to a winning season.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding Bennett quitting.... he didn't exactly show up for the 5 games that Rodgers played in.

Status
Not open for further replies.