Michael Clark and other training camp tidbits

D

Deleted member 6794

In addition the Packers signed WRs Adonis Jennings and Kyle Lewis while placing G Cole Madison on the reserve/did not report list as he's attending to a personal matter.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well scratch off one long shot I was excited to see this year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That is a bummer. Like most thought, Clark was no doubt a long shot, especially with 3 draft picks being used on WR's. But man, I love his size and ability to get up above everyone and catch that ball!

Goes to show you, there is more to football than just the physical side of it.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition the Packers signed WRs Adonis Jennings and Kyle Lewis
Kyle Lewis is an interesting prospect. Sorts like a De'Anthony Thomas/Curtis Samuel type player. Could land on Practice squad or knock it out the park on special teams/return ability. Sucks that Clark is contemplating retirement, it was great to see a big body reciever for the packs. but oh well, probably the new WRs with similar builds+experience scared him off.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
He saw the writting on the wall. No way was he gonna make it with all these studs we have at WR.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really?
Clark was one of the guys I was looking forward to seeing compete. He may have been beat out for a spot on the roster. But practice squad, or some other team maybe would pick the packers left overs up...
Reminds me of when I quit college to buy a bus and travel the country to follow the grateful dead... aka quit college and go home to get busted for weed, and get a job doing manual labor...

Seemed like a good idea at the time.... lol

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good riddance to bad rubbish. I wasn't so high on Clark, and had I been in BG's position I would have definitely addressed the WR position through the draft to make sure we got some much needed help.

So on the flipside, I didn't scout Jennings or Lewis, I would have hoped this would have been more of a singular move. I don't think any undrafted WRs are worth kicking the tires on more than what we drafted already. I can't see them being only camp bodies as we're already overloaded as it is.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good riddance to bad rubbish. I wasn't so high on Clark, and had I been in BG's position I would have definitely addressed the WR position through the draft to make sure we got some much needed help.

So on the flipside, I didn't scout Jennings or Lewis, I would have hoped this would have been more of a singular move. I don't think any undrafted WRs are worth kicking the tires on more than what we drafted already. I can't see them being only camp bodies as we're already overloaded as it is.
Bad rubbish? What makes him bad rubbish?

D

Deleted member 6794

Kyle Lewis is an interesting prospect. Sorts like a De'Anthony Thomas/Curtis Samuel type player. Could land on Practice squad or knock it out the park on special teams/return ability.

In my opinion there's no reason to get excited about the return ability of Lewis as he only averaged 20.3 yards on 48 kick returns while not returning a single punt playing four seasons in the FCS.

He saw the writting on the wall. No way was he gonna make it with all these studs we have at WR.

The depth at wide receiver is currently a huge question mark. While a long shot Clark might have had a chance to make the roster.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

why was he bad rubbish? Did I miss something? He was a long shot, a tall intriguing long shot. out of all those guys they brought in last year, to me he was the only one that remotely flashed anything. Even got bumped up near the end and made a few nice plays. No reason to think he was going to be Julio Jones, but he was clearly athletic enough to be helpful and after only 1 year of college and 1 year of PS play, experience could have definitely made him into something.

But maybe he just doesn't like football enough to dedicate the next decade of his life to it? some people don't, but why does that make him rubbish? While we didn't take a WR high in the draft, I think we drafted 3 great prospects. not that I think all 3 will be super stars, but I think odds are those guys are going to push each other and at least 1 of them will become something for us. Physically and athletically they are all very promising guys, but that only gets you this far. Now the work starts and we'll see who emerges.

JohnnyBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a bummer. I know he was a long shot, but I really liked some of the athleticism he displayed last year. He was so raw though that maybe getting bumped down the depth chart with the 3 rookies was enough to let him realize how much work he had to do.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

We are always "overloaded" at WR to start camp. However, I wouldn't say we are overloaded in anything but bodies. The talent level is totally unproven once you remove Adams and Cobb from the list.

Oh sure, Rodgers can make average talent look a bit better, but if either Adams or Cobb go down for any period of time, the passing game might be in trouble. If people remember when Jordy went down in 2015 or Cobb and/or Adams missed time, how long did it take Rodgers and his receivers to get in sync?

The Packers are either going to need one or 2 of the following things to happen for the passing game to continue to be why they win:
  1. Adams and Cobb remain relatively healthy.
  2. Allison improves quite a bit.
  3. 1-2 Rookies or carry over WR's jump right in and play well.
  4. Sign a proven vet FA WR sooner than later so he has time to get in sync with AR.
Personally, I would rather see #4 happen, since #1-3 are all unknowns at this point and if one of those scenarios happen, along with signing a vet WR, even better. The Packers have the best QB in the NFL, but if he isn't on the same page as his WR's and/or they aren't that talented, you loose the most effective part of the Packer offense. Make sure he has enough weapons and don't wait until October to discover he doesn't.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are always "overloaded" at WR to start camp. However, I wouldn't say we are overloaded in anything but bodies. The talent level is totally unproven once you remove Adams and Cobb from the list.

Oh sure, Rodgers can make average talent look a bit better, but if either Adams or Cobb go down for any period of time, the passing game might be in trouble. If people remember when Jordy went down in 2015 or Cobb and/or Adams missed time, how long did it take Rodgers and his receivers to get in sync?

The Packers are either going to need one or 2 of the following things to happen for the passing game to continue to be why they win:
  4. Sign a proven vet FA WR sooner than later so he has time to get in sync with AR.
Personally, I would rather see #4 happen, since #1-3 are all unknowns at this point and if one of those scenarios happen, along with signing a vet WR, even better. The Packers have the best QB in the NFL, but if he isn't on the same page as his WR's and/or they aren't that talented, you loose the most effective part of the Packer offense. Make sure he has enough weapons and don't wait until October to discover he doesn't.
5. Cobb plays up to his contract.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

While I most certainly share your concerns with the WR's group, a healthy and productive Jimmy Graham is a game changer. I think he's the biggest threat we've had at the TE position since the Finley days. He should be able to make things easier/open up opportunities on the outside for some of the unprovens.

Right now, I'm trusting/hoping that BGK is leaving one in the chamber if a quick plan B is needed.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would think that Clark’s decision is more about not wanting to play football than about all the rookie wide receivers. Even if he got cut due to the depth, there are 31 other teams.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sounds like the play of the day goes to Trevor Davis. I already like his chances at the roster due to PR skills. If he starts making a play here or there on offense, you can lock that up.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Cobb’s foot seems fine.

Taylor’s ankle is evidently nagging him.

King, Williams, House, Clinton-Dix, and Brice is your first look as a starting nickel.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
McCarthy willing to straight up say that he’s confident that Perry and Bulaga will both be ready for wk 1. I was not expecting confidence on the latter.

He won’t say what’s up with Madison, just that they were surprised by it. That’s not encouraging.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
J.K. Scott’s first set (6) of punts against the rush average about 55 yard and 4.4 seconds of hang time. That’ll do.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Fackrell gets the first look as Perry’s replacement. I doubt that will last. Probably just a seniority thing. I’m just following on Twitter, but so far all I’ve heard is that AR drew him offsides.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kevin king sounds like a standout defender so far, play of the day leaping over Kendricks to intercept Rodgers

Members online

Latest posts