Michael Clark and other training camp tidbits

H

HardRightEdge

Not sure if this was posted already:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/spor...-vents-sloppy-play-young-receivers/928385002/

If you've run out of free jsonline looks, using your browser's incognito function will get you there.

Saying Rodgers favors Allison, Yancy and Kumerow at this point is an understatement.

"Rodgers then drew a line in the sand. He made clear which young receivers have earned his favor: Geronimo Allison, DeAngelo Yancey and Jake Kumerow. 'Everybody else,'' Rodgers said, 'was kind of **** poor.'

Evidently, the young guys in question couldn't run the routes drawn out on cards in a scout team session. This wake up call better have the desired affect.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
EQ might have been the exception to what Rodgers was saying, he seems to be the one Rookie WR that may be progressing faster than the other 2. I keep seeing things like this about him:

Tom Silverstein
✔@TomSilverstein 1:07 PM - Aug 7, 2018

Equanimeous St. Brown is starting to flash. He’s catching everything and really using his length around the sideline. Rodgers seems more willing to throw to him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
EQ might have been the exception to what Rodgers was saying, he seems to be the one Rookie WR that may be progressing faster than the other 2. I keep seeing things like this about him:

Tom Silverstein
✔@TomSilverstein 1:07 PM - Aug 7, 2018

Equanimeous St. Brown is starting to flash. He’s catching everything and really using his length around the sideline. Rodgers seems more willing to throw to him.

I’ve heard that he’s coming on, but I’ve heard the same thing about Valdes-Scantling. It’s possible that they are both progressing, but had a bad practice. Or maybe everyone on scout team has been ******* it regularly, but because Rodgers was actually QB’ing that unit for once, he noticed and took issue. In any case, I like the accountability.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’ve heard that he’s coming on, but I’ve heard the same thing about Valdes-Scantling. It’s possible that they are both progressing, but had a bad practice. Or maybe everyone on scout team has been ******* it regularly, but because Rodgers was actually QB’ing that unit for once, he noticed and took issue. In any case, I like the accountability.

Definitely a steep learning curve for rookie WR's and I can see some thinking AR was wrong for being "too ******* them", but that is the kind of fire a young professional needs lit under their ***. These guys are top dogs coming out of college, time to earn their stripes.

I'm anxious to see them all in action tomorrow night, with the first 3 spots in the WR depth chart all but gone and Davis probably due to his special teams play having a firm grip on the #4 spot, there is going to be some really healthy competition for those remaining 2-3 spots. With Graham's ability to play like a WR, the Packers may choose to only carry 6 WR's, so that would mean at least one of those rookies probably doesn't make the 53.

H

HardRightEdge

Or maybe everyone on scout team has been ******* it regularly, but because Rodgers was actually QB’ing that unit for once, he noticed and took issue. In any case, I like the accountability.
As noted in the article, Rodgers has run scout team sessions for several years, I'd presume prior to preseason games where he's not scheduled to play such as this one. Evidently this receiver crew was uniquely lackadaisical in his experience. Of course we like the accountability. We would prefer that it not be required in such a pointed and blanket fashion.

Anyway, let the games begin. Beware of second half flashes playing against 3rd. and 4th. stringers, many of whom will never take an NFL snap.

Last edited by a moderator:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll admit ignorance. Who is the receiver's coach? Does he ever say anything? What is Edgar Bennett doing now?

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kumerow making a roster in his 2nd or 3d try wouldn't be a shocker. He played for a small in state program, a good one, but still very small and limited by collegiate football standards. The knowledge and experience gap between a DI and DIII player are pretty big. Taking a couple seasons on a practice squad and then impressing enough to make a roster isn't unheard of. GB's Billy Schroeder took a similar path out of UW LaX before finally latching on and having a fairly successful career as a WR in the NFL. If this kid keeps catching the ball like they're reporting he's doing, it's going to be hard to cut him.

You referencing a guy who played for us in the 90s alludes to how rare it is :D

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve heard a lot about st brown, some on mvs, a lot on Kumerow, some on yancey but haven’t heard much of anything on Moore aside from like the first day or two of camp. I wonder how he’s doin

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it is, most guys on a PS stay there a year maybe 2 and make it or don't. The fact that he's in year 3 and doing what he's supposed to do and catching what he's supposed to catch shouldn't be viewed as something odd considering the path he came from. Most small school guys don't get those looks because most small school guys were there because they lacked something that would have gotten them noticed and at a DI school in the first place. BUT it takes small school guys time to develop if they do have what it takes. It's not surprising that he's doing well or that if he keeps it up, he makes a roster. If he can't do this in all 4 preseason games, he's not going to make the 53. If he does and the others don't really pick it up, he'll be sticking around.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kumerow making a roster in his 2nd or 3d try wouldn't be a shocker. He played for a small in state program, a good one, but still very small and limited by collegiate football standards. The knowledge and experience gap between a DI and DIII player are pretty big. Taking a couple seasons on a practice squad and then impressing enough to make a roster isn't unheard of.

Not sure if this was posted before, but here goes...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...strated-young-receivers-effort-level-practice

"I was telling Jake the other day, I watched a play that he was in on, he ran a certain route, he was open on the route. I wasn't the quarterback, we came back three practices later, same call, same coverage, same player -- him -- running the route, and he wasn't expecting the ball," Rodgers said. "I said, 'Hey, I watched that rep three days ago. I saw this play and I reminded myself at the time, if we had that opportunity again, where to go with the football.' I said, 'When you're out there, I'm coming your way.' I have confidence in him. He's in the right spot all the time, he makes contested catches, finishes the right way. He practices like a pro.

That's a gold plated confidence boost and a wake up kick up the backside for the rest. I'd say Geronimo, Yancey and Kumerow are well ahead of the rest.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
**** poor isn't going to get it done
It’s hard to understand. These guys should need no motivation to be showing their best. And it’s rare that ARod disses a position group like this. Let’s hope that provides the wake up call these guys need. Jake Kumerow could easily take a roster spot with the way he’s playing. This is head scratching stuff.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kumerow making a roster in his 2nd or 3d try wouldn't be a shocker. He played for a small in state program, a good one, but still very small and limited by collegiate football standards. The knowledge and experience gap between a DI and DIII player are pretty big. Taking a couple seasons on a practice squad and then impressing enough to make a roster isn't unheard of. GB's Billy Schroeder took a similar path out of UW LaX before finally latching on and having a fairly successful career as a WR in the NFL. If this kid keeps catching the ball like they're reporting he's doing, it's going to be hard to cut him.
And especially with the “**** poor” play of the young draftees.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't figure why people are so down on Geronimo.

Probably for the same reason those people can't figure out why people are so up on him. What has he done to deserve either?

You can google “Geronimo Allison tweets” and find them in an article. Should be the first link. Suffice it to say, he was very clear and explicit regarding his opinions of women.

Wow, I had not seen those before. To give him the benefit of the doubt I'm trying to think of even a passable reason for these tweets but to be honest I'm having a difficult time coming up with any. As Dantes said, they make it hard to root for him.

I'm not telling you or anyone else how to feel about him based on those, but if you're wondering where the anti-Geronimo sentiment comes from, I think that's a big part of the answer.

I was not aware of them prior to just now but they certainly don't make me feel any better about him. I'm not going to say I hope he gets cut because I am aware now but there is a part of me that really hopes the other receiver can beat him out.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s hard to understand. These guys should need no motivation to be showing their best. And it’s rare that ARod disses a position group like this. Let’s hope that provides the wake up call these guys need. Jake Kumerow could easily take a roster spot with the way he’s playing. This is head scratching stuff.

These are 20 & 21 year old kids. It's not that surprising to find out that 5th & 6th round wide receivers might not be able to remember professional terminology and routes after only a few weeks of practicing. They might very well be showing their best and this might be it. There's a reason that receivers generally transition slowly in the NFL; just running fast and catching the ball doesn't mean much if you don't know exactly the route you need to run and the various ways that route might change based on the defense. It's a little unreasonable to assume these guys are going to be practicing like professionals in their first off season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

How soon people forget about the DIII Prodigy Jeff Janis ;)

These are 20 & 21 year old kids. It's not that surprising to find out that 5th & 6th round wide receivers might not be able to remember professional terminology and routes after only a few weeks of practicing. They might very well be showing their best and this might be it. There's a reason that receivers generally transition slowly in the NFL; just running fast and catching the ball doesn't mean much if you don't know exactly the route you need to run and the various ways that route might change based on the defense. It's a little unreasonable to assume these guys are going to be practicing like professionals in their first off season.

The good news about EQ is he is a very intelligent guy, as well as a student of the game. The bad news, he has been known to have the accompanying ego of a bright person as well as that of a great athlete. That could make or break him in the NFL, where he is nothing but a late round pick fighting for his professional life.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, I had not seen those before. To give him the benefit of the doubt I'm trying to think of even a passable reason for these tweets but to be honest I'm having a difficult time coming up with any. As Dantes said, they make it hard to root for him.
Do you need more than a tween college kid? I suspect most here would have done things they are ashamed of when young.

They are despicable tweets, no question. But I'd give him the benefit of doubt that he matures and changes for the better.

bgrice91

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, I looked him up. But what does “Figures” mean? Am I supposed to have done something wrong because I wasn’t familiar with this particular horrible twitter feed?

I was just wondering if you felt the same way about him as you do Allison but it's cool I already have my answer

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Getting dissed by Rodgers is pretty rare though, and I believe they’re being asked to run one route, spelled out for them in advance. Don’t get me wrong, I want them to succeed, and maybe this is just Rofgers’ wayof saying, “I expect more from you guys becasue it gets a lot harder from here.” Looking forward to how they progress through camp and the preseason. I thought EQ played particularly well Saturday night, but have my eyes on Moore as the most likely to make the 53.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Do you need more than a tween college kid? I suspect most here would have done things they are ashamed of when young.

They are despicable tweets, no question. But I'd give him the benefit of doubt that he matures and changes for the better.

As long as GMO doesn't become our next President, I can forget about it....oh wait a minute......:rolleyes:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The good news about EQ is he is a very intelligent guy, as well as a student of the game. The bad news, he has been known to have the accompanying ego of a bright person as well as that of a great athlete. That could make or break him in the NFL, where he is nothing but a late round pick fighting for his professional life.
I thought EQ played well Sat. night. As for arrogance, well my guess is that will take care of itself as competition heats up.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree. Getting dissed by Rodgers is pretty rare though, and I believe they’re being asked to run one route, spelled out for them in advance. Don’t get me wrong, I want them to succeed, and maybe this is just Rofgers’ wayof saying, “I expect more from you guys becasue it gets a lot harder from here.” Looking forward to how they progress through camp and the preseason. I thought EQ played particularly well Saturday night, but have my eyes on Moore as the most likely to make the 53.

Actually, this is nothing new from #12. He has been known to get in his teammates grills and let them know what they are or aren't doing correctly. He is the Captain and the hub of the team, I have no problems with that as long as its justified and constructive.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I thought EQ played well Sat. night. As for arrogance, well my guess is that will take care of itself as competition heats up.

Could be he changes his ways. I love the guy, don't get me wrong. He could go down as one of the steals of the draft. However, there was a reason he was still available at #207 in the 6th round. Most point to not for lack of talent, but he and his father were not really the easiest people to work with while he was at Notre Dame. They had their own philosophy on workouts and drills and given the nature of college football, that was probably tolerated due to his and his younger brothers (future recruit targets) talent levels. That won't fly in the NFL, hopefully he knows that and is a smart enough guy to go with the flow.

H

HardRightEdge

There are certainly many, many more Jeff Janises than Adam Theilens or even Billy Schroeders. That said, how about we watch Kumerow play this preseason and see what he's got?