Rodgers admits progression and tempo are his fault

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to wonder sometimes that prior to signing his new contract, Rodgers competitive and performance motivations were at their highest ever and pushed him even higher. Once that contract was signed, whether consciously (I doubt) or subconsciously Aaron let up on the gas pedal a bit and said "I'm set and whatever happens, happens". Toss in the knee injury and that was just more water on Aaron's burning fire.

Again, I am not saying Aaron is intentionally playing with less fire than he once did, but getting a guaranteed $100M slid your way, could cause even a competitive guy like Aaron to coast a bit.
While that is certainly possible, I really doubt it has much of an effect where he is concerned. While I have no way of proving it, I just don’t think the money past a certain point is what drives Rodgers. I do think he is highly emotional and it effects his play on the field. I won’t pretend to know what is bothering him, but there are many possibilities. The Packers current record is certainly not all his fault, but he is also definitely not playing up to his usual standards, and he knows it. That alone will add to his mood.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guarantee the Packers knew about it. It's more difficult changing a bad habit though.
yup...and his talk is cheap. he's got to actually do it. he's got to get the ball out quick, throw to guys whether they're "trusted" or not, prioritize moving the chains over big plays, and do his part in not abandoning the running game. the defense will appreciate it.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, I am not saying Aaron is intentionally playing with less fire than he once did, but getting a guaranteed $100M slid your way, could cause even a competitive guy like Aaron to coast a bit.
He certainly wouldn't be the first player to sign a big contract and have his play fall off. Although it's not like he's playing horribly.
But maybe he realized there was no way he was catching Brady now, so he might as well go for the big money. Not a bad reward.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yup...and his talk is cheap. he's got to actually do it. he's got to get the ball out quick, throw to guys whether they're "trusted" or not, prioritize moving the chains over big plays, and do his part in not abandoning the running game. the defense will appreciate it.
yup. was just talk.

Kj32kid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Admittedly....he's playing like . I understand our starters aren't there as per usual. But that has never mattered for AR before. He just looks off. Maybe the receivers just aren't getting open....lotta young bloods out there.
Right on que, wide open on 2 and 1, short.. Thrn wide open Adams, for a td and over throws

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM has done some awful timeout management though. Tonight ... Well obviously on that one series the refs should have had the play clock stopped as the ball was being set, but still ... He's not had a firm grip on when to call them this season.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
MM has done some awful timeout management though. Tonight ... Well obviously on that one series the refs should have had the play clock stopped as the ball was being set, but still ... He's not had a firm grip on when to call them this season.
According to ref on telecast it was right.

They spotted ball at 27 sec mark

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

MM's use of the timeouts at the end of the first half is classically SO BAD! Almost gave the Vikings 3 points tonight, but they missed the FG. For some reason MM thinks he has an awesome defense that is going to stop every team during that 2 minutes and give AR the chance to pull off another halftime miracle. When all he is doing is conserving the clock for the opposing team to march down and score. Tie game Mike, be happy and realize your defense isn't that great!

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how much the change at qb coach affected Rodgers play. I remember reports of him being pretty chapped when Van Pelt was let go.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking about Rodgers current attitude, one of the commentators last night called him "pouty" on the post game show.

Did you see the video with Rodgers talking about what the Packers have to do now to get into the playoffs? Where he says "We need to go to Chicago, beat them. Go to New York, beat them"? He runs down the list of the entire rest of the season. Thing is, I'm not even sure he believed it - that we would win all those games.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
clearly not...but late in the game they only had 42 yards of offense to that point in the 2nd half.
Second week in a row they only scored three points in the second half.
McCarthy's not good at making adjustments.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
MM's use of the timeouts at the end of the first half is classically SO BAD! Almost gave the Vikings 3 points tonight, but they missed the FG. For some reason MM thinks he has an awesome defense that is going to stop every team during that 2 minutes and give AR the chance to pull off another halftime miracle. When all he is doing is conserving the clock for the opposing team to march down and score. Tie game Mike, be happy and realize your defense isn't that great!

If you are going to RED X (Title Town USA) this, please tell me exactly how MM using 2 timeouts at the end of the first half last night did not help the Vikings.

While I am fine using a time out after you stop a team on 3rd down, so that you save some clock for Rodgers to try and do something, way too many times MM has employed that same strategy and it has backfired with the defense not making the required stop and as a result, the other team is suddenly moving down the field.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see - 12.7 cap hit, five games averaging about 5 catches for 50 yards...
Yikes is his cap hit 12.7mm? I knew it was high but that’s crazy.

Well, next year, I’m guessing Cobb, CMIII, and Perry will be gone. I add Perry becasue he is 1) injured, a lot, and 2) was way overpaid at his last contract. Will that add $30mm plus to cap space? I mean, these guys aren’t producing anyway. Don’t know what the FA market looks like. Desperately need help at S and ER - and probably O-line. Thankfully, Gluten hasn’t been afraid to go to FA. It comes down to who is available, and at what price. I’m not in favor of overpaying in FA. We’ve already done that with our own guys (Cobb/Perry).

Truth is there aren’t a ton of holes on this team, a rebuild is not necessary. Getting the HC decision right will be critical and the first order of business. Even though a lot of us are wringing our hands over this season, there is a fair amount of talent already in place.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to wonder sometimes that prior to signing his new contract, Rodgers competitive and performance motivations were at their highest ever and pushed him even higher. Once that contract was signed, whether consciously (I doubt) or subconsciously Aaron let up on the gas pedal a bit and said "I'm set and whatever happens, happens". Toss in the knee injury and that was just more water on Aaron's burning fire.

That’s been one of my concerns in chasing FAs. Give them huge amounts of guaranteed money, esssentially paying for past performance. That’s not always true, just a risk.

That said, I don’t think ARod is built to coast. He’s too competitive and too proud. He certainly shoulders his share of the blame for this disaster of a season, but I question his execution over his effort.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fackrell played like Mack for one game, his next best game not even a pale imitation, and not much impact otherwise. Putting Fackrell and Mack in the same sentence assumes some extremely bright light just went on. I'd hold off on that. :whistling:
Ummm, yeah. Fackrell is no Khalil Mack. Nobody is.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yikes is his cap hit 12.7mm? I knew it was high but that’s crazy.

Well, next year, I’m guessing Cobb, CMIII, and Perry will be gone. I add Perry becasue he is 1) injured, a lot, and 2) was way overpaid at his last contract. Will that add $30mm plus to cap space? I mean, these guys aren’t producing anyway. Don’t know what the FA market looks like. Desperately need help at S and ER - and probably O-line. Thankfully, Gluten hasn’t been afraid to go to FA. It comes down to who is available, and at what price. I’m not in favor of overpaying in FA. We’ve already done that with our own guys (Cobb/Perry).

Truth is there aren’t a ton of holes on this team, a rebuild is not necessary. Getting the HC decision right will be critical and the first order of business. Even though a lot of us are wringing our hands over this season, there is a fair amount of talent already in place.

Have a hard time reconciling the two bold. Help at safety (2), EDGE (2), and OL (2?3?4?) plus, I'd at least add one at ILB and WR (who else but Adams has a track record?). That's like 9 of the starting 22 positions that need help. Obviously, lots of subjectivity involved, but I'm concerned about the talent level.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Have a hard time reconciling the two bold. Help at safety (2), EDGE (2), and OL (2?3?4?) plus, I'd at least add one at ILB and WR (who else but Adams has a track record?). That's like 9 of the starting 22 positions that need help. Obviously, lots of subjectivity involved, but I'm concerned about the talent level.

I think he may have really meant they need help at "ER", since this current team seems to be on life support!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wins/loses is not a qb stat.
A lot of people don't believe that, however.
In any case, I think it's fair to bring it up, because the quarterback has such a large influence on the failure or success of a team.
Plus, if you give a QB credit when the team wins, he has to also bear some responsibility for the losses.

I'm more perturbed that the Packers have lost 7 road games this year, 8 in a row, and 9 of the last 10, going back to last year.
What kind of team goes 1-9 on the road?
Meanwhile, I heard that the Steelers road record under Ben Roethlisberger the last several years is 14-2-1. Quite a contrast.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wins/loses is not a qb stat.
It's still a factor. I'm not blaming this on AR but his drop in form gets brushed under other team deficiencies. He has acknowledged his errors but sadly none was fixed in Vikings game.