Rodgers admits progression and tempo are his fault

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

Yup, and its kind of surprising that it took AR and the Packers this long to notice it or maybe they are just now acknowledging something they and most of us knew already?

I guarantee the Packers knew about it. It's more difficult changing a bad habit though.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he is taking blame, but I wouldn't say that's entirely true. Maybe he wants to, he just know he can't with all of the rookie receivers. He probably has to help explain things to the rookie receivers in the huddles. If it was a veteran group like the last 4 years with Jordy and Cobb, this would be a much easier transition to pick up the tempo. Cobb's unavailability is a big reason why this offense has been well below expectations.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he is taking blame, but I wouldn't say that's entirely true. Maybe he wants to, he just know he can't with all of the rookie receivers. He probably has to help explain things to the rookie receivers in the huddles. If it was a veteran group like the last 4 years with Jordy and Cobb, this would be a much easier transition to pick up the tempo. Cobb's unavailability is a big reason why this offense has been well below expectations.
The problem with this is this has been a problem for a few years now, not just this year. I'm glad to see Rodgers owning up to it. The question now is will MM do the same? Probably not, but I guess it doesn't matter anymore as he will/should be gone after the season.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also liked the article Nagler posted in the comments. Pretty much confirms what I already believed. I'm glad someone else did the research on it. I would like to see an updated version of this stat though as the article was written in mid October.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yup, and its kind of surprising that it took AR and the Packers this long to notice it or maybe they are just now acknowledging something they and most of us knew already?

Rodgers said: "Pay me millions and I'll admit to anything even though it's not true."
I feel Rodgers, like the every NFL Team, is a puppet to the al-mighty NFL cuz that's who's holding the check book.
Years back it use to be the teams. now it's the NFL first then the Packers.

Personally I think there's a lot more going on up there in GB that we will never hear about.

H

HardRightEdge

There's a lot to unpack in that 39 seconds and I find Nagler's conclusion, eliminate the wasted timeouts, the least of it. And frankly, in the "what's wrong with Rodgers now" equation, using timeouts before crunch time is hardly some new development.

Let's break this down a little bit:

1) Disjointed with the personnel but gotta get it to the open guy and trust the progression

That's easier said than done. I'm reminded of one throw to MVS in the Seattle game where Rodgers threw to the zone gap smack in the middle of the field, but MVS ran through it instead of sitting down. It was incomplete, but those are the kinds of not-on-the-same-page throws that can get you interceptions. If you're going to work the progression and throw it to the open guy, you have to trust that at the time you release the ball the you have confidence that the receiver is going to arrive at it's intended destination. You don't just snap your fingers and make it happen. If you take a shot with an element of uncertainty, the ball is going where the defender can't get it while hoping your guy is on the same page and will make any needed adjustment. That seems to be where we're at with the rookie receivers and Graham as well. Rookie receivers, no matter where they are drafted, are rarely highly productive. It takes a receiver time to develop mentally and/or physically along with developing QB chemistry which applies to a new vet as well. Rodgers missing a lot of practice time in the first half of the season has not helped matters.

Some in these pages have observed that Rodgers one INT along with the numerous throwaways is an indication that he's become too cautious and should take more risks. The tone of this clip suggests he's going to do that. I wouldn't be so sure he will. It sounds more like a disire than a mandate, and is dependent on his teammates stepping it. A receiver zigging when the ball is zagging, ending a pick, will not be looked upon any more kindly now than in the past.

2) Play faster with energy and tempo

Sure, wasting timeouts shouldn't happen, but if it's 3rd. and 2 and the personnel or the defensive alignment are mismatched, expect a timeout as we have seen repeatedly lo these many years. This is hardly unique in Green Bay, by the way. What he's talking about is just that...energy and tempo. Imply urgency, focus and flow if you like from those comments. Don't lollygag and let the guys overthink things. But if you have to change the call and/or move guys around, you gotta do what you gotta do.

If for this game, together with trusting the progression, energy and tempo means getting the ball out faster with fewer extended plays, that's probably a good idea against this MIN defense that has a good deal of bend-don't-break in it, expecially if you can move the chains on first and second down. They also give up a fairly high number of first downs on the ground.

3) I want to be perfect.

Don't we all. I'm sure Rodgers has seen some things on tape that he could have done better. But if the message is, "I need to be perfect to win", that's not going to cut it because nobody ever is. It's aspirational not some kind of concrete objective.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Wait, I thought Rodgers never takes any of the blame? ;)
He uncharacteristically took none of he blame in those early season comments laying blame on the playcalling, etc. He took a lot of heat for that, and rightly so, and not necessarily because he was wrong about what was in fact wrong. He's the leader, so he has to put some of the blame on his own shoulders whether that's justifed or not because to do otherwise is not constructive. It's just the way it is.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm certain they noticed, every play is reviewed, discussed, and every player graded. It was obvious to fans (well most fans) that ARs play had slipped.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm certain they noticed, every play is reviewed, discussed, and every player graded. It was obvious to fans (well most fans) that ARs play had slipped.
True. The bum knee, limited practices, playing with rookie receivers, and not quite a chemical bond with the new TE pretty much accounts for all the slippage.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True. The bum knee, limited practices, playing with rookie receivers, and not quite a chemical bond with the new TE pretty much accounts for all the slippage.
Good points. The knee, if he cant plant normally, could be causing the inaccuracy and underthrows.

H

HardRightEdge

Good points. The knee, if he cant plant normally, could be causing the inaccuracy and underthrows.
Being 3% below his career completion percentage is accounted for in this season's excess of throwaways. To me, the key difference is he's not as quick and slippery moving around and out of the pocket...more sacks and throwaways. And then there's the trust with the receivers in general, and their effectiveness in the scramble plays. I believe his deep throw accuracy has been better this year than in 2016.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being 3% below his career completion percentage is accounted for in this season's excess of throwaways. To me, the key difference is he's not as quick and slippery moving around and out of the pocket...more sacks and throwaways. And then there's the trust with the receivers in general, and their effectiveness in the scramble plays. I believe his deep throw accuracy has been better this year than in 2016.
Statistically Kyler Fackrell is as good as Kahlil Mack getting sacks.

Not sure if I am biased, but my eye test says AR is not throwing the ball as well as he has in the past. You brought up great reasons this may be issues beyond his control. But I'm not sure there isnt something more. Maybe his attitude- he does sound different in interviews. Friends who have spoken with him recently reported a different experience than those that met him a few years ago. Maybe caught him on a bad day? Who knows.

D

Deleted member 6794

Let's see - 12.7 cap hit, five games averaging about 5 catches for 50 yards...

There's no doubt Cobb hasn't performed up to his contract but in addition the offense hasn't being any better with him on the field this season.

Mack has a total of 37 pressure compared to Fackrell's 11 though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think his point was stats don't tell the entire story.

But Cobb has basically 2 games he played healthy One was pretty good and the other was very poor with drops and a fumble. and then he got hurt in practice and he's been MIA since. I doubt we see much of him this year again and he won't be here next year. But this offense would be helped a lot by someone, anyone, converting 2,3 more third down plays in a game, because that is going to result in a lot more plays than just those extended drives

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mack has a total of 37 pressure compared to Fackrell's 11 though.
You are correct. I not sure about the snap count though, but I bet Mack played more snaps. Therefore Fackrell is better at sacks given he has had fewer opportunities. But overall, Mack is probably a better player than Fackrell.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I'm not sure there isnt something more. Maybe his attitude- he does sound different in interviews. Friends who have spoken with him recently reported a different experience than those that met him a few years ago. Maybe caught him on a bad day? Who knows.
Something is clearly bothering him. You barely see him crack a smile on the field anymore, when he used to smile routinely.
It's not just a bad day, he's having a bad season (emotionally anyway, I'm not taking about his play here).
Maybe it's the pressure from the big contract, the realization that he isn't going to catch Brady, dealing with a losing record, the annoyance of nagging injuries, who knows what it is?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are correct. I not sure about the snap count though, but I bet Mack played more snaps. Therefore Fackrell is better at sacks given he has had fewer opportunities. But overall, Mack is probably a better player than Fackrell.

Mack is probably a better player than fackrell? Probably? If that's true let's trade fackrell as soon as we can. We should be able to get a first and a 3rd for him.
I do wanna apologize to fackrell I didn't think he had it but he's proven that he certainly does. Hes become a legitimate pass rushing threat as a part time player. I would guess that he's definitely been more efficient in getting his 8 sacks than Mack has. But would anyone rather have fackrell over Mack? I guess at their current salaries and the draft capital that it took to aquire them, yes. Wow how things can change so quickly

H

HardRightEdge

But I'm not sure there isnt something more. Maybe his attitude- he does sound different in interviews. Friends who have spoken with him recently reported a different experience than those that met him a few years ago. Maybe caught him on a bad day? Who knows.
He does seem down in the mouth. No "relax", no run the table talk. He drolly referred to getting Kumerow on the field as a potential "galvanizing moment". The comment is telling, however, in that he is looking for that certain intangiible spark that can elevate a team from grinding every week to a "we can beat anybody anywhere" collective attitude. There may be contract pressure; there may be crankiness in that he cannot do everything he wants to do with the injury; back to back injury seasons might be instilling a sense of football mortality. But none of that matters if you can get to a point where you know you can win and win the right way.

There's no point in faking it with happy talk. You have to keep grinding until you find that missing something that "galvanizes" the team.

Today is the last best chance to find that spark, beating a rival and playoff contender on the road.

H

HardRightEdge

Not sure if I am biased, but my eye test says AR is not throwing the ball as well as he has in the past. You brought up great reasons this may be issues beyond his control. But I'm not sure there isnt something more. Maybe his attitude- he does sound different in interviews. Friends who have spoken with him recently reported a different experience than those that met him a few years ago. Maybe caught him on a bad day? Who knows.
Fackrell played like Mack for one game, his next best game not even a pale imitation, and not much impact otherwise. Putting Fackrell and Mack in the same sentence assumes some extremely bright light just went on. I'd hold off on that. :whistling:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Have to wonder sometimes that prior to signing his new contract, Rodgers competitive and performance motivations were at their highest ever and pushed him even higher. Once that contract was signed, whether consciously (I doubt) or subconsciously Aaron let up on the gas pedal a bit and said "I'm set and whatever happens, happens". Toss in the knee injury and that was just more water on Aaron's burning fire.

Again, I am not saying Aaron is intentionally playing with less fire than he once did, but getting a guaranteed $100M slid your way, could cause even a competitive guy like Aaron to coast a bit.