Martellus Bennett Recent similar threads merged

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Typical. Get a top 5 pick. Get TT and Capers out of town. Bring in John Dorsey to load the roster up and we will still have a chance to get a couple Super Bowls.

Otherwise this puppy is headed to purgatory.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
We really should of kept Jared Cook then. TT now has Egg on his face. Failed to resign Jared Cook. Goes and gets Martellus "Paddlehands" Bennett and hes going to retire at the end of the season. Now we got to Draft a new TE.

As he is retiring does his money still count against the Cap next year?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as I know , any signing bonus or up front money counts, salary would go away.

But he hasn't t retired, I don't doubt his word, but until they aren't here they're just words.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
He was expecting to be competing for a Super Bowl ring. That's all changed. Now he is saddled on a mediocre roster with the direction of the team uncertain. Good time to bail.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that confirms that we should have kept Jared Cook. Rodgers was asking for him to be resigned. I give TT credit for trying with Bennett, but it looks like it will probably be for naught. We're going to be looking for a tight end again next year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that confirms that we should have kept Jared Cook. Rodgers was asking for him to be resigned. I give TT credit for trying with Bennett, but it looks like it will probably be for naught. We're going to be looking for a tight end again next year.
For as bad as everyone says Bennett has been, he's having about the same year that Cook is having. His hands haven't been what they need to be, or he'd be having a slightly better one. But his blocking, outside of 1 game, has been very good and his presence has been noticeable in other aspects of the game. I'll still never forget the big body going inside and 3 defenders crashing down leaving a relatively unknown weapon in Jordy Nelson wide freaking open in the endzone for a TD. Bennett has had an effect on this offense, whether he has 8 catches a game or not.

what happens after this year happens after this year. Players say lots of things, especially the Bennett brothers. Marty has always been the less dramatic of the 2, but he's not immune to their propensity to just say things. But he also seems like a guy that does what he wants. I'd say he's probably serious, but as they say, we'll see.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes there is a partial refund of the SB if a player retires. Depends on the contract terms. At worst there is a $4.2m cap hit if there is no clawback provision.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they should just ask him to retire now and pay him for the year. his heart isn't in it which means the effort won't be in it either. kinda feel he retired during camp. no need for a farewell tour. lol

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GOOD...Cut him now!! We can get on with life and he can sail off to retirement early...Big Waste of money!!! Thanks Ted.....

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Singing him hasn't worked out as much as we've liked.

It was almost universally praised at the time as he was considered an upgrade over Cook.

This how free agency typically works out though for teams.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Singing him hasn't worked out as much as we've liked.

It was almost universally praised at the time as he was considered an upgrade over Cook.

This how free agency typically works out though for teams.
I'm the reason for the word "almost."

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I said at the time I would have preferred Cook over Bennett, but the signing of Bennett was a respectable move that I was okay with.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bennett would still be better for this team than Cook.

We have absolutely needed his blocking this year, and that's something Cook would not have delivered on.

Anybody trashing TT for this is just doing it to trash on TT. It was a good signing that pretty much everybody thought was a good signing. He's been a disappointment in the catching game, but has still been good overall. I think some of you have forgotten that blocking matters even though you can't see it on a box score.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For as bad as everyone says Bennett has been, he's having about the same year that Cook is having.
My point wasn't really that Cook is better than Bennett, it's that if he's retiring we might have been better off keeping Cook. Rodgers wanted to keep him. We may have not have gotten out of Dallas with a win last year if not for him.

Their strengths are different, so it's really hard to compare them. Bennett is known more for his blocking, Cook for his receiving. I do think Bennett drops too many balls though.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We really should of kept Jared Cook then. TT now has Egg on his face. Failed to resign Jared Cook. Goes and gets Martellus "Paddlehands" Bennett and hes going to retire at the end of the season. Now we got to Draft a new TE.

We still have two pretty good TEs besides Bennett.
Hope he finishes strong, and changes his mind.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
This is the best news I have heard since Rodgers went down. This would open up some serious cap and we can be relieved we won’t see balls being dropped on 75% of his targets.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GOOD...Cut him now!! We can get on with life and he can sail off to retirement early...Big Waste of money!!! Thanks Ted.....

Sorry. but it was pretty unanimous on this board that signing Bennett was a great move at the time. Armchair G.M.'s with 20/20 hindsight are a dime a dozen. Having said that, TT has GOT to spend a top pick on a good tight end with speed. Hope one is available in this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts