Martellus Bennett Recent similar threads merged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Just an observation, but why were three threads about Martellus Bennett being cut moved into a thread titled "Martellus Bennett". Could we at least have a thread title that lets viewers know exactly what has happened, and where to go to discuss it?

For those that came on here already knowing of the move, it's not that big of a deal. But for those who aren't previously aware, I feel as if we could have this content in a thread with a more appropriate title.

I merged them first of all because we have a sticky telling everyone to look for previous threads before starting a thread. One was started just about a week ago on Martellus Bennett. Then after the news broke today a spate of new threads all went up on the same subject, most including some mention of the injury in addition to his being cut. What would you suggest is a more appropriate title?

Edit; I changed it to reflect the threads were merged, but if you have a better title, I'm all ears.

Reaction score
I’m not surprised at this and actually kind of glad. He hadn’t earned the respect of this team and he’s not nearly lived up to his contract.
I learned a valuable lesson and I hope Ted did also. The grass isn’t always greener and continuity at the position accounts for something.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Great, more fuel for the anti FA signing crowd! :coffee:

Let's just keep developing that awesome draft talent TT consistently finds!

At least now we might get to see Kendricks on those 1-3 yard routes that Hundley is being given to run.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I merged them first of all because we have a sticky telling everyone to look for previous threads before starting a thread. One was started just about a week ago on Martellus Bennett. Then after the news broke today a spate of new threads all went up on the same subject, most including some mention of the injury in addition to his being cut. What would you suggest is a more appropriate title?

Edit; I changed it to reflect the threads were merged, but if you have a better title, I'm all ears.
"Martellus Bennett has been cut by the Packers"

"The Packers have released Martellus Bennett"

The thread title "Martellus Bennett" doesn't tell anyone anything. For those who are viewing as non members for instance that might be viewing the thread for the very first time, they would open the thread and read two pages worth of content, without knowing that Bennett has been released by the team.

I understand consolidating multiple threads discussing Bennett being released by the team, but why consolidate into a thread that's more than a week old with lots of previous posts that have nothing to do with the release of Bennett?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
"Martellus Bennett has been cut by the Packers"

"The Packers have released Martellus Bennett"

The thread title "Martellus Bennett" doesn't tell anyone anything. For those who are viewing as non members for instance that might be viewing the thread for the very first time, they would open the thread and read two pages worth of content, without knowing that Bennett has been released by the team.

I understand consolidating multiple threads discussing Bennett being released by the team, but why consolidate into a thread that's more than a week old with lots of previous posts that have nothing to do with the release of Bennett?

Only four threads were merged. Three on the release were merged with one on his desire to retire and injury. As all threads go; there are lots of posts that don't always go with the topic of the OP.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great, more fuel for the anti FA signing crowd! :coffee:

Let's just keep developing that awesome draft talent TT consistently finds!

At least now we might get to see Kendricks on those 1-3 yard routes that Hundley is being given to run.
Nobody is an anti FA person. They, if they're anything like me, grow extremely tired of acting like it guarantees anything. Trust me, I'd much rather Bennett had been a bigger man and decided he would be the catalyst that would bring this team to the post season. Step up and be the big body 5 yards in front of Hundley knowing he's going to get smacked time and time again, and still do it for 5 yards at a time all the way to the endzone and get this team to where Rodgers coming back might be meaningful.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Nobody is an anti FA person. They, if they're anything like me, grow extremely tired of acting like it guarantees anything. Trust me, I'd much rather Bennett had been a bigger man and decided he would be the catalyst that would bring this team to the post season. Step up and be the big body 5 yards in front of Hundley knowing he's going to get smacked time and time again, and still do it for 5 yards at a time all the way to the endzone and get this team to where Rodgers coming back might be meaningful.
Unfortunately, the only way Rodgers comes back is if it would be meaningful, and right now that's highly doubtful.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the only way Rodgers comes back is if it would be meaningful, and right now that's highly doubtful.
at this point i'm just hoping the team doesn't quit and they can put together a few wins. Actually i just care they win this weekend. I'll think about the rest later

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Nobody? Come on, every year around FA time, except maybe this year, those nobodies are defending TT and saying "signing FA's isn't worth it, chances are they will bust..." Mark my words, Bennett will now be that example those nobodies use.

Nothing is a guarantee, not a FA or a draft pick, but you do need to build a more solid team top to bottom then the one that the Packers currently have and I really don't have that much confidence in TT's draft and develop MO.

Plain and simple, Bennett will be remembered as a bust of a FA signing. I don't think because of a lack of talent, I think he was a steal in that regards, but he was a bust because of something unpredictable, he gave up. Hopefully those nobodies and TT (or Wolf) remember that and it doesn't dissuade them from wanting to sign future FA's, players that this team is going to need in 2018 to compete.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure Ted is fully aware of what FA is and means. Signing your own guys is the same. Sometimes they can't stay healthy, Bulaga. Sometimes you find and develop and absolute star and invest in him and he has his career ended. Sometimes that happens 2-3 times.

It's football. I'm sure ted knows this and like always, when a person they think can help this team is available for money that makes sense, they will sign him and the rest they won't. We had more signings this year and they all were like they always were. Guys who made sense for a sensible price. I don't see that changing

PackerinATL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at this point i'm just hoping the team doesn't quit and they can put together a few wins. Actually i just care they win this weekend. I'll think about the rest later
I think anyone who has watched the past couple games has seen a drop off in...shall we say "enthusiasm" while playing the game. It is what it is.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think anyone who has watched the past couple games has seen a drop off in...shall we say "enthusiasm" while playing the game. It is what it is.
A team that has quit doesn't make a goal line stand late in the game down 3 possessions . And though the Lions were probably playing off, the offense didn't quit on a drive to make a meaningless score either. They weren't that good, but they haven't quit either

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just your usual dooms dayers... we got Slow growth, when we needed fast. That's about it.

But besides losing bulaga and now Bennett. We have some healthy players coming back. Seeing Burnett, king back out there, sure helped... the lions just played well, got some calls too. But most importantly, Stafford was dropping some great passes in there... can't deny that.

All in all, I think we have a much better chance at winning a couple here soon, as many here would speculate. Hundley was looking better once McCarthy opened up the play book a bit. Adams dropped that big one...
Montgomery coming back. Kendricks looking good. Oline "healthy" and will hopefully find some consistency... I could see us putting up some offense...

This season is not lost.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think i read burnett is out again with a groin injury

PackerinATL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a couple observations from the past couple games (and no I'm not a doom and gloom guy) - 1) the defense has played uninspired the past two games mainly due to the fact they have the burden of needing to hold a team to somewhere around 13 points to have a chance to win. That is extremely taxing on a really good defense much less one that is in the bottom 1/4 of the league. 2) when you have a coach that is so unconfident in his QB that he prefers BH to throw the ball 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage instead of 5 yards past the line of scrimmage, that speaks volumes. It also sends the defense a message that we are trying to scrap until the end...keep it close.

There's no magician stepping in to save the season. Realistically we have a chance to go 7-9. I'm not saying I like this, but again...it is what it is.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was sorry to see Cook go. He and Rodgers were just starting to click in the playoffs last year. That said, when he left I was pleased that TT signed somebody who was as good or better on paper. But that was on paper. Bennett had some crucial drops and turned out not to be a difference maker. Unfortunate. Character matters.

I hope this doesn't dissuade TT from the FA market, though, because the Packers need to acquire at least one proven veteran cornerback to shore up the pass defense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm sure Ted is fully aware of what FA is and means. Signing your own guys is the same. Sometimes they can't stay healthy, Bulaga. Sometimes you find and develop and absolute star and invest in him and he has his career ended. Sometimes that happens 2-3 times.

It's football. I'm sure ted knows this and like always, when a person they think can help this team is available for money that makes sense, they will sign him and the rest they won't. We had more signings this year and they all were like they always were. Guys who made sense for a sensible price. I don't see that changing

LOL Mondio, you say that a lot "TT knows what he is doing and he is aware".....of course he is aware and knows how to run a team. But if you are going to use that argument to try and trump anyones comments about what they would do or like to see done different, why are any of us here?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand every move and every signing was a risk, and perhaps Martellus wasn't nearly as forthcoming immediately as he should have been about his plans to retire anyway before any of this happens and TT wouldn't have guessed about this.

Nonetheless, this is really really looking bad on his part to have let Cook walk and seen this circus going on at TE to add onto the Rodgers injury.

One thing good though, I've been wanting to see more of Kendricks and now it's his turn to step up. If he does, TT's decision to let Cook walk may be salvaged after all.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL Mondio, you say that a lot "TT knows what he is doing and he is aware".....of course he is aware and knows how to run a team. But if you are going to use that argument to try and trump anyones comments about what they would do or like to see done different, why are any of us here?
sometimes I wonder why we are here. I made a statement and as usual you the point is dismissed to find a reason to argue. Do you think Ted Thompson doesn't know what Free Agency is? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he does, considering he has used and even before that he was hired in some pretty high up capacities on a couple different NFL football teams. I'm guessing he didn't get there by not knowing what's involved? but maybe i'm crazy. So can we just agree that he does know what it is and is aware of it?

Since we're all in agreement on that, my statement was, this year was really no different than any other year other than the numbers and I'd say the numbers leaving dictated he use it more. But he didn't go out and make any crazy purchases, rentals, leases or signings. They were guys that could help for contracts that made sense. Even with the Martellus cluster, nothing is killing us with the cap because it blew up on us. My statement was that whatever happens with Martellus isn't really going to change his approach one way or the other to FA, as I don't think it's ever changed. If you disagree, that's fine, the say so. But I think he signed Bennett knowing full well the risks, he's been doing it a long time.

I'm not using Ted's all knowing prowess and mastery of the unknown to trump anyone's argument. I used my observation that this year has been like almost every other year other than the numbers and our roster departures dictated that more than anything. Also guys like Dial and Brooks becoming available because of a scheme change on another team. Seemed fortuitous at the time, but I don't think Brooks has played in more than 2 games has he? people were excited by the people Ted picked up, me included, but in the end, they all fit his MO. I don't think it's changing

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are we arguing about Bennett signing, when the real point of grievance should be letting Cook leave (despite ARs comments)?

Now we have Haywards, Hyde and Cook having stellar seasons after we let them go.

It's not like we are getting any value in FA...but we are letting go of value.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are we arguing about Bennett signing, when the real point of grievance should be letting Cook leave (despite ARs comments)?

Now we have Haywards, Hyde and Cook having stellar seasons after we let them go.

It's not like we are getting any value in FA...but we are letting go of value.
Funny how the classic argument around here has always been that Thompson should get no credit for resigning his own players, and that signing another team's free agent is inherently better. Yet now.... doing exactly that makes him an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts