Rodgers admits progression and tempo are his fault

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he is taking blame, but I wouldn't say that's entirely true. Maybe he wants to, he just know he can't with all of the rookie receivers. He probably has to help explain things to the rookie receivers in the huddles. If it was a veteran group like the last 4 years with Jordy and Cobb, this would be a much easier transition to pick up the tempo. Cobb's unavailability is a big reason why this offense has been well below expectations.
Good points all. I think a lot of us forget ARod is working a lot with two rookie receivers, MVS and ESB, and they’ve been producing. With Gmo and Cobb out, there are no other veteran WRs in the huddle, even Graham, while a veteran, is in his first year in this offense. Here’s hoping things start clicking, not just over the next five games, but throughout next season. Along with a young and improving D, and hopefully a new HC, the talent on this team will be given a chance to shine. I haven’t written off this season yet. At the same time I’m a realist. I don’t expect this team to be in the playoffs this year. The games are valuable, nonetheless.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

One thing I noticed while watching this play unfold and isn't mentioned at all is what happens to the offensive line during the play. 5 offensive lineman are taking on 4 Defensive lineman and are pushed back over 5 yards very quickly. Now maybe that was how they intended things to happen and an attempt at giving Rodgers a pocket to step up in. However, 2 of the DL are not contained and quickly split away and get to AR as he tries to step up.

As far as "this guy and that guy are open for AR", Graham doesn't get open until Rodgers is moving forward and as he clearly has decided to try to get the ball to Graham, he is tackled. Adams crossing route is well run, but again, by the time he is in Aaron's vision, Rodgers has felt the pocket collapse and is committed to stepping up and is in no position to try and get the ball to Davante.

I'm not saying a better result couldn't have come out of this play, but running it in slow motion makes it looks like AR had a ton of time to hit open receivers, I would say that in real time, you will see the OL get blown back very fast and AR forced into scramble mode very quickly. Maybe one might make the argument that AR just needs to stand in there and be prepared to take the hit like Brady does, but that isn't the way AR has found his success in the past.

I would also give some credit to the Vikings DL on that play, they obviously are very away of AR's tendencies to step up and when he did, boom they were there.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
On a brighter note, watch JA in another one of Fennell's clips. JA on that first play is just amazing. I actually find the second play very eye opening. In that play watch Packers S Kentrell Brice and JA. Brice does what we have seen way too many Packer secondary guys do for too long. He literally freezes and waits for the runner to come to him, not attacking at all. Had JA not been there, Brice probably whiffs on a diving tackle of a runner who has juked right by him.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1067824058799177728

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One wonders if even a potential GOAT wouldn't benefit from some better (head) coaching.

One wonders if Bart Starr would have achieved his level of immortality without some superior head coaching from Vince Lombardi.

One wonders if Tom Brady would have achieved his level of immortality without some superior head coaching from Bill Belichick.

One wonders what level of immortality AR12 would achieve playing for the NE Patriots after TB12 retires. Do you really think there would be a significant drop-off between TB12 and AR12?

A sadly disappointing gun deer season bookended by two humiliating and uninspired Packer losses.

6-9-1 on the horizon.

Shockwave

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I noticed while watching this play unfold and isn't mentioned at all is what happens to the offensive line during the play. 5 offensive lineman are taking on 4 Defensive lineman and are pushed back over 5 yards very quickly. Now maybe that was how they intended things to happen and an attempt at giving Rodgers a pocket to step up in. However, 2 of the DL are not contained and quickly split away and get to AR as he tries to step up.

As far as "this guy and that guy are open for AR", Graham doesn't get open until Rodgers is moving forward and as he clearly has decided to try to get the ball to Graham, he is tackled. Adams crossing route is well run, but again, by the time he is in Aaron's vision, Rodgers has felt the pocket collapse and is committed to stepping up and is in no position to try and get the ball to Davante.

I'm not saying a better result couldn't have come out of this play, but running it in slow motion makes it looks like AR had a ton of time to hit open receivers, I would say that in real time, you will see the OL get blown back very fast and AR forced into scramble mode very quickly. Maybe one might make the argument that AR just needs to stand in there and be prepared to take the hit like Brady does, but that isn't the way AR has found his success in the past.

I would also give some credit to the Vikings DL on that play, they obviously are very away of AR's tendencies to step up and when he did, boom they were there.
As soon as Graham starts across the field he's running by a linebacker standing still. AR is good enough to know that he is open at that point. There is no way in 3 steps the linebacker is going to start his momentum and make any sort of play on any ball to Graham if he lays it out there right now. The problem was Rodgers was looking at Smith, then looking at a hole and NOT looking at his receivers. that's a problem. He was looking to run before he even thought about looking for a receiver. He has to know Graham is going to be there quick, LOOK.

So many issues to this offense, and part of it is the offensive line, but how can people keep going with the "scheme" mantra? 2 open receivers a play not enough? There were 3 on this one and 2 fairly easy ones that would have had a first down, and if wanted to count the receiver at the bottom of the screen coming open for a big play, but Rodgers was already stepping up before he looked open. I"m not counting that one, line has to block better and longer for that. BakhT got trucked on that play.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As soon as Graham starts across the field he's running by a linebacker standing still. AR is good enough to know that he is open at that point. There is no way in 3 steps the linebacker is going to start his momentum and make any sort of play on any ball to Graham if he lays it out there right now. The problem was Rodgers was looking at Smith, then looking at a hole and NOT looking at his receivers. that's a problem. He was looking to run before he even thought about looking for a receiver. He has to know Graham is going to be there quick, LOOK.

So many issues to this offense, and part of it is the offensive line, but how can people keep going with the "scheme" mantra? 2 open receivers a play not enough? There were 3 on this one and 2 fairly easy ones that would have had a first down, and if wanted to count the receiver at the bottom of the screen coming open for a big play, but Rodgers was already stepping up before he looked open. I"m not counting that one, line has to block better and longer for that. BakhT got trucked on that play.
Agreed that Rodgers eyes were on Smith too long, but can you blame him? I really think the guy has become shell shocked about getting hit and its effecting his play. That isn't me saying its OK, just saying I understand why he is playing like he is. Like we both said, improve the OL play and get Rodgers staying in the pocket longer and those issues can go away. If that doesn't work, get him immediately rolling out and getting rid of the ball faster. I also agree with you, in this situation, there was nothing wrong with the play called, but the OL and Rodgers both didn't execute it correctly. We can all preach all we want about Rodgers needs to see things better, get rid of the ball faster, etc. but until he trusts his OL, which I think he doesn't, we will see a lot more plays like this.

Another problem I see that has developed is the snap. No longer do we see quick huddles and quick snaps (unless AR thinks he can get a penalty). Almost every play, he gets set to take a snap with around 10 seconds on the play clock, does what ever he does with his reads, audibles and snap counts for 9 seconds and then calls for the ball. To me, this gives the defense a huge advantage, they know when the play is going to start.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if the guards can get upgraded next year, i believe you will see a completely different AR minus happy feet. packers tend to use sidelines for passing, and leave middle stuff very limited, that due to interior pressure. you can bet other teams see this tendency and cheat to the sideline routes...next thing you know nobodys getting open. Offense will takeoff next year but you must draft 1-2 guys early...and a free agent. look at andrew luck i thought he was done...now his OL fixed...watch out.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One wonders if even a potential GOAT wouldn't benefit from some better (head) coaching.

One wonders if Bart Starr would have achieved his level of immortality without some superior head coaching from Vince Lombardi.

One wonders if Tom Brady would have achieved his level of immortality without some superior head coaching from Bill Belichick.

One wonders what level of immortality AR12 would achieve playing for the NE Patriots after TB12 retires. Do you really think there would be a significant drop-off between TB12 and AR12?

A sadly disappointing gun deer season bookended by two humiliating and uninspired Packer losses.

6-9-1 on the horizon.

Shockwave
Do you write poems? I'd be interested in buying a bundle

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a different note, I saw this stat: https://twitter.com/GrahamBarfield/status/1067857790046072832?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1067857790046072832&ref_url=https://bleacherreport.com/green-bay-packers

Since I am not a native speaker of the English language, I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what "throwing outside the numbers" means. Apparently we aren't doing it too well

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

the numbers that run down the middle of the field. we throw a lot of passes between those numbers and the sidelines...to our own detriment. almost nothing in the middle...where the underneath stuff is...where te's, rb's, and slot guys should be making their living, where the ball doesn't have to be held for 3+ seconds, where wow-type throws aren't needed, where 3rd and 5 should be near automatic. ridiculous. smh

CHECK THIS OUT...
https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/confessions-of-a-polluted-mindset-a-packers-brain-drain-709

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
On a different note, I saw this stat: https://twitter.com/GrahamBarfield/status/1067857790046072832?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1067857790046072832&ref_url=https://bleacherreport.com/green-bay-packers

Since I am not a native speaker of the English language, I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what "throwing outside the numbers" means. Apparently we aren't doing it too well
If you look at the field, there are numbers on both sides of it. Throwing "outside" of those numbers is what is meant or between those numbers and the sidelines. The article doesn't necessarily say that the Rodgers isn't good at it, it just says that he does it a lot more than others. It's also sometimes a sign of poor pass blocking or a QB that is trying to avoid an interception.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol, I am an idiot, I figured it was a proverb of some sorts. Thanks for clarifying guys.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
lol, I am an idiot, I figured it was a proverb of some sorts. Thanks for clarifying guys.
Nahhhh.....you aren't an idiot at all, its just a football expression. It can be confused with "The QB hit him right between the numbers", which means that the pass was right in the players chest.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

and this is how that BS gets propagated. he makes the statement that Rodgers is basically avoiding the middle of the field, something some of us have noticed since early this season, and then follows it up with his

"
The league average is 39%. Stunning lack of creativity in #Packers offense:"

Statement, which is such ********. there were 3 open receivers in the above play, 2 in the middle which were both 1st down passes. No creativity because he never threw the ball there? What a horsehit statement. And these guys say it over and over and over and over until people think it's true.

Our offensive issues seem obvious to me.
#1 injured QB to start the year
#2 decreased/no practice time
#3 interior line pressure, need to upgrade at least 1 guard position
#4 loss of all experienced pass catchers besides Adams in this offense.

that has all precipitated to what we have today. Those are the nuts and bolts. that is what needs to be fixed. That is the hardwork that needs to be done. everything else is a symptom. the happy feet, the errant throws, the missing receivers, the lack of execution for this offense. The rest is internet and talking head fodder to keep you clicking and talking. Whatever coach is here, those are the things that need to be fixed. I don't care if they call the same plays or different, it's not going to matter if 1-4 aren't worked thru and fixed.