Geronimo has a "pretty big" injury, may need surgery

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not good but a great opportunity for one or several of the young WRs to keep improving. This probably hurts Geronimo more than the Packers

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not good for Geronimo but on the plus side for the pack, we get more MVS and a little more EQ.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think MVS has cemented his spot in the rotation. It's EQS and Moore who will benefit from this.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moore sucks stone hands mvs and st brown all the way

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People once said much the same about Davante. Not a perfect comparison but still. Give Moore a little time. Hopefully he can improve his catching.

H

HardRightEdge

People once said much the same about Davante. Not a perfect comparison but still. Give Moore a little time. Hopefully he can improve his catching.
Yeah, I wouldn't quit on Moore quite yet. MVS is already a more valuable asset than Allison, and more snaps now means faster development. I'd never wish an injury on anybody, but from a team perspective losing Allison is minor unless there's another WR injury.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many times has Jmon even been targeted in the reg season? I remember him catching the only pass he was thrown.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't think so. MvS hasn't surpassed Gmo.

How? GMo is a possession receiver. He can't stretch the field like MVS. Sure he has AR's trust and has made plays but by next year teams will no longer be able to double Adams with MVS' development. GMo doesn't command that kind of respect.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This might be one of those "Silver Linings" moving forward for the Packers. I have been impressed by MVS and think Saint Brown is not that far behind. Both will continue to see more playing time. The other part of the silver lining, if the Packers want Allison back in GB for 2019 and beyond (his rookie contract is up after this season), I think he will come at a far cheaper price. Sucks for GMO but I think possible a win for the Packers. They could also reactive Kumerow now off the IR.

H

HardRightEdge

How many times has Jmon even been targeted in the reg season? I remember him catching the only pass he was thrown.
That was his only target, 10 yards. That's a 108.3 passer rating when targeted! ;) He did bobble that catch, though.

Seriously, I don't expect to see much of Moore this year unless there are more WR injuries. If and when the Packers are eliminated from the playoffs we should see him get a dose of snaps and targets to get a better handle on where he's at. They did the same with Michael Clark, for example, and a few others at the end last year.

H

HardRightEdge

This might be one of those "Silver Linings" moving forward for the Packers. I have been impressed by MVS and think Saint Brown is not that far behind. Both will continue to see more playing time. The other part of the silver lining, if the Packers want Allison back in GB for 2019 and beyond (his rookie contract is up after this season), I think he will come at a far cheaper price. Sucks for GMO but I think possible a win for the Packers. They could also reactive Kumerow now off the IR.
Allison will be a restricted free agent.

If he'd not been injured, at the high end they'd go with the second round tender. That means they could match any deal he gets elsewhere or decline to match and get a 2nd. round pick.. If there were no takers, which there wouldn't be at the cost of a 2nd. round pick, the Packers would pay him the mandatory second round tender salary. It was $2.9 mil for 2018 plus a bump in line with the % of the 2019 salary cap bump.

Now, assuming this is a serious injury, if they tender him at all I'd expect it to be under the right of first refusal option. In that case, the Packers have the option to match other offers. However, if they decline to match, there is no draft pick compensation. If there are no takers, the Packers would pay him 2018's $1.9 mil + the 2019 bump.

So, the difference between the high and low scenarios is about $1 mil for 2019, not a big difference.

Brice is also restricted under the same terms.

Patrick, Whitehead, McCray, Carson, Gilbert, Tonyan, Kumerow and Lancaster are exclusive rights free agents. They cannot negotiate with other teams. As the name suggests, the Packers hold exclusive rights. Clearly the team has a lot of leverage. I think it was the Broncos who paid their starting center from the previous year $700,000 under this provision.

All of the other free agents are unrestricted. They are free to sign anywhere. Of course, draft pick compensation is subject to the vagaries of the league pool's value determinations and offsets.

These various FA designations are taken from spotrac.com. I can't guarantee they are entirely accurate but I have no reason to believe they are not.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Don't think so. MvS hasn't surpassed Gmo.

Valdez-Scantling has been targeted 27 times over the past four games, catching 15 passes for 317 yards (21.1 average). While he's a different type of receiver than Allison I would have expected him to get more looks going forward even without Allison getting injured.

Allison will be a restricted free agent.

If he'd not been injured, at the high end they'd go with the second round tender. That means they could match any deal he gets elsewhere or decline to match and get a 2nd. round pick.. If there were no takers, which there wouldn't be at the cost of a 2nd. round pick, the Packers would pay him the mandatory second round tender salary. It was $2.9 mil for 2018 plus a bump in line with the % of the 2019 salary cap bump.

Now, assuming this is a serious injury, if they tender him at all I'd expect it to be under the right of first refusal option. In that case, the Packers have the option to match other offers. However, if they decline to match, there is no draft pick compensation. If there are no takers, the Packers would pay him 2018's $1.9 mil + the 2019 bump.

So, the difference between the high and low scenarios is about $1 mil for 2019, not a big difference.

The Packers could not tender Allison at all trying to re-sign him to a cheaper deal. They would risk losing him to another team in that case though.