Boys stud and dud

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree. Uncle.

Just merely wanting to point out Jaire was not a complete dud, and that our run D held all DAL RBs to 95 yds rushing total on 17 attempts. Prescott added 27 on 4 rushes/scrambles.

We allowed CHI RBs to 35 yds on 12 att, MIN RBs to 181 yds on 25 att, DEN RBs to 144 yds on 36 att, and PHI RBs to 163 yds on 27 att...

I believe our run game showed improvement. Yes, score ran up and DAL attempts dropped. I did say Jaire had a bad day, just not a complete dud. I agree, he got toasted plenty.

Haven't checked these RB only numbers, but I'll take you at your word.

By YPC, that's 2.9 vs Chicago (great), 7.24 vs Minny (terrible), 4.0 vs Denver (solid), 6.0 vs Philly (bad), and 5.6 vs Dallas (Bad).

Going by total rushing yardage isn't the best way to assess the run defense, as the game script prevented Dallas from running as much as they would have if the game had been closer. When they did run, how successful were they? Answer: almost as successful as the Eagles on a per carry basis.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I know that. Just pulled all the gamebooks to add up the totals. Personally, I don't much like to include QB runs in rushing totals. That's just my thing.

Man, difficult to get the right words on this, other than the gameplan, and the execution, along with the TOs, allowed for the Packers to not suffer at the hands of Zeke Elliott. Also, we somehow were not crushed by Jason Witten. I might be even more surprised by that. No question the quick scoring in Q1 and Q3 helped force DAL to throw.

Zeke with 60 something yds rushing is something I think no one expected.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cooper ran for 226 yards in 11 carries. Even for the Gallup TD, he brushed past Jaire who could not hold on. No shame admitting this was brutal on Jaire. He's still a top player, but man just not yesterday.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense worries me a bit. The turnovers are great, but there are going to be games where the opposing QB is careful with the ball and doesn't turn it over. In those games, they can't give up all this yardage.

Me too. The defense seems to play bend but dont break all the time. I am fine with it because I dont care how many yards they give the other team as long as they dont allow many points. it kinda feels like a Dom Capers defense with depending on the Turnovers so heavily. If the TOs dont come(Eagles game) , the defense has a tough time stopping the points. Same thing in the 2nd half vs the Cowboys. Dak and the refs made sure that there wont be any TOs, and Alexander kicking the fumbled ball right back into Austins hands lol, and then the points came in quickly.
Maybe it was the injuries rolling in and Alexander having the worst day ever but its quite interesting to see this.

Studs:
Aaron Jones- insane game, nothing left to say
OL especially Jenkins and Bulaga - both playing on a elite level and I love it. Packers only need to fix the RG and they are having an OL with Top 3 potential
Jimmy Graham- he had a really good game with some nice blocks, which was kinda suprising. I hope that he keeps it up cuz then he is worth the money.
Coaching staff- The gameplan worked really well and I gotta give credit to it. MLF planned perfectly without Adams.

Duds:
WRs- sucked that no one of them stepped up because that was the perfect game to do so. MVS and AR cant get on the same page, which killed so many drives and possible big plays. If both can get on one page, we are in for some magic. Gmo was really bad and dropped 2,3 passes. AGAIN. Sad that he doesnt show any development. The rest did not have many snaps and catches and that tells alot. I am not ready to give up on them because they are all young and talented but at some point they have to deliver.
Alexander- got smoked by Cooper all day. His worst game in his young career but he will get over and be dominant again.
Refs- no words for that game. way too many nitpicky flags on both sides. I dont think I have seen a worse officiated game.

Reaction score
Once snapped yes, but wasn't that also the play he snapped it with like 12 seconds on the clock??!!!
No but close, it was on the very next play where we handed off to Jones, who wisely stayed in bounds to churn the clock.

That INT was a result of Jaire being at the wrong place at the right time. If he hadn't been burned, he wouldn't have had the pick.
I guess no one is immune to having a bad day. It’s possible there are several receivers out there that are just talented enough to exploit a good CB. This is even more of a compliment to Amari Cooper, he played lights out Sunday.

Reaction score
I just realized upon reviewing the game that it was Chandon Sullivan who high pointed and tipped the ball in the Endzone away from the receiver. It led to another huge play.
Sullivan single handily caused not 1... but 2 INT!

I was so glad we didn’t cut him after a strong preseason performance. The way he moves, he reminds me of a young Sam Shields (albeit not the long speed) Just the way he shadows receivers. He’s obviously very adept at both studying the QB body language and has a good nose for the ball. It’s not surprising he holds the INT record and pass breakup records for Georgia State. He showed off his 40.5 vertical Sunday.

If Josh Jackson doesn’t improve markedly and soon, I’d love to see this kid get his chance.

Last edited:

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is definitely not Mike McCarthy's Green Bay Packers.

Imagine a game in which Arron Rodgers throws zero TD passes, and completes only four passes to WR's - Think Green Bay scores thirty-four points?

A defense that generates turnovers, an offense that doesn't just pay lip-service to the running game, and an efficient, competent special teams play....It's a new era in Titletown.

And I like it.

Just listen to Aaron's interview after the game. He mentioned that his statistics weren't good. He said something to the affect, "I've had my statistics since I've been playing. I just want to win." He said that Jones had the 'hot hand' and they needed to be running.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just listen to Aaron's interview after the game. He mentioned that his statistics weren't good. He said something to the affect, "I've had my statistics since I've been playing. I just want to win." He said that Jones had the 'hot hand' and they needed to be running.
He also said that he felt that he had personally played a good game.... that’s good enough for me.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
They must be referring only to rushing TDs because Hornung scored 5 TDs in one game.
Only thing I can think of.
Also, after 12 and 17 yd rushes by Zeke in 1st quarter, held him to 33 yds on his remaining 10 carries.
21 yards on the last 2 rushes with 13 seconds left at the end of the first half. Packers were playing prevent to keep Dallas out of range for a half ending big play.

Refs- no words for that game. way too many nitpicky flags on both sides. I dont think I have seen a worse officiated game.
You need to watch more games.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
They must be referring only to rushing TDs because Hornung scored 5 TDs in one game.
And got upstaged by Gale Sayers who scored 6 touchdowns against the 49ers on the same afternoon.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Aaron Jones - Is Jones the #1 Aaron in GB right now?
Aaron Rodgers - For a highly competitive guy who detests not playing lights out, I absolutely LOVE how Rodgers was motivating his teammates. I did not see any of the eyerolling, and he was standing on the sideline motivating his teammates who walked off after scoring FG's. Furthermore he was efficient when he needed to. Shame on Cowherd for taking Aaron's postgame comments out of context, they were not about MM at all. I think many posters here don't like people being critical because they have the feeling that whatever Arod does, he is going to get flamed for it anyway. And I can see a little more clear why they believe that now.
Kevin King - Boy how I hope that this guy can remain healthy.
Bryan Bulaga - Dito, he's been playing great. I completely take back my words that we should've cut him, we NEED him.
The Smiths' Super Sack Show - Ray Lewis will hear of them fast enough if he hasn't yet.
Elgton Jenkins - Seems to have a bright future ahead of him.

Duds:
Jaire Alexander - Got to put my man JA here. Love his attitude, but he is not always going to keep the top receivers in check.
2nd half offense / defense - I don't know what it is with the 2nd half but we got to be able to continue rolling as an O, and not be as conservative as a D.
Referees - Just a very messy game all around
minidud Bakhtiari - minidud for Bakh here, he's being penalized a lot this season.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone know WTF this was about? No reporter could be THAT stoned to pull this one off without totally cracking up. Rodgers response is just classic.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Evidently this reporter's shtick is to ask questions like it is the 1920's. lol

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully agree with you on how the officials are handling this and I really don't have too much of a problem with the way its going, its still in its infancy. I think what they are evolving towards is exactly what you said, only reversing egregious calls. Meanwhile, the coaches are learning this process too and I am guessing most if not all have or will figure out that challenging PI calls/non-calls aren't really a smart thing to do, unless it is a very obvious miss on the refs part.

I suspect the reason they are handling these calls they way they have so far this season is they never really wanted to go in this direction but were almost forced to because of that terrible missed call in the playoffs last season. They might be thinking if they make it practically impossible for these types of calls to be changed by not changing them even when they should coaches, owners, players and fans will give up and things will go back to where they were a year ago. :tdown:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but that was a stumbling touch pass. The peeps want frozen ropes in tight spaces even if that means more drops and more picks.

The 4th. quarter throw up the seam to Allison, the one where Rodgers wanted the PI call, was into tight coverage and under the safety, not exactly risk free. He was trying to exploit the DB having his back to the play. The throw was more chilled than frozen, but there isn't much call to throw the ball harder than that.

I'm not convinced this is a matter of "can" and not more a matter of "want to". Taking something off the ball gives the receiver more time to adjust.

Back to the Tonyan toss, of course no sooner do I comment on Rodgers' off-and-on accuracy on touch passes than he doesn't miss one all day, this one or the screens. Perhaps he might have been able to rifle that Tonyan thrown in which case it would have bounced off the DBs back. That would not have been helpful.

Any news about Tonyan's hip injury?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any news about Tonyan's hip injury?
havne't heard anything, but I hope he's back this week. Just when I think they get him involved early that maybe they're going to start using him more, makes a great play and is out with an injury. I really think this guy has the skills to be pretty good.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calling it a horrible throw does not somehow make Alexander better. He was out of position and got lucky... that’s awesome for the Packers. Alexander is typically a great player. He is young and was not great yesterday.... That’s not the end of the world.

Plus he will learn from this. Cooper can give veteran DBs fits.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only thing I can think of.
21 yards on the last 2 rushes with 13 seconds left at the end of the first half. Packers were playing prevent to keep Dallas out of range for a half ending big play.

You need to watch more games.

Yes, officiating in all of the games is less than stellar. Fans of every team are complaining.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I suspect the reason they are handling these calls they way they have so far this season is they never really wanted to go in this direction but were almost forced to because of that terrible missed call in the playoffs last season. They might be thinking if they make it practically impossible for these types of calls to be changed by not changing them even when they should coaches, owners, players and fans will give up and things will go back to where they were a year ago. :tdown:

Could be, but I think that this is going to go a lot like the way of the "catch rule" and the "roughing the passer rule". It is new, so its going to take some stumbling through it to fully figure it out and during that time, people are going to complain. I'm not saying that they will ever get it right, but coaches, officials and New York will finally settle on what seems to work the best for the rule and the NFL.

Now what I wish would happen and maybe this would help some fans stomach the apparent slow down of the game, is a coordinated effort between the NFL and the Networks. When there is a challenge, go right to a commercial break and use that commercial break in place of the "normal" one that would happen between the next change in possessions. There are potential and effective ways to speed up the flow of the game, that Television slowed down a long time ago, just have to think outside the box a bit to do it.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw Packers held Zeke Elliott to 62 yds on 12 attempts.

Again, stud: Mike Pettine. Well done, Coach.

Aaron Jones will become an NFL superstar in this offense before it is all said & done. 182 total yds, 4 TDs.

Lol give me a break. They abandoned the run because the got down by a lot so early. Zeke was well on his way to over 100 yds bro. Lol calm down

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol give me a break. They abandoned the run because the got down by a lot so early. Zeke was well on his way to over 100 yds bro. Lol calm down
Dude, you’re late to that party. I already admitted that was the case. Go ahead and start nipping my ankles in another thread.

Members online

No members online now.