Boys stud and dud

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw Packers held Zeke Elliott to 62 yds on 12 attempts.

Again, stud: Mike Pettine. Well done, Coach.

Aaron Jones will become an NFL superstar in this offense before it is all said & done. 182 total yds, 4 TDs.

Fortunately we got a big lead by take-aways so they had to abandon the run. Too bad we didn't do that last week (get TOs and a lead) or we'd be 5-0.

AR will be a household name before too long. :)

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that INT was also a play where Cooper moved him nearly out his drawers. Cooper had a flat phenomenal day. Jaire was beat more than a couple...I love Jaire, but not gonna cover up he lost his jock a couple times. Dude is still our Defenses flat highest ceiling guy out there 110%!!

IMO Cooper is one of the top WRs in the game and Jaire is still rather young. This type of game will make Jaire better in the long run.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pissy? IMO he seems pleased he doesn't have to be the hero. He seems happy to me. He isn't acting like Cutler in the slightest.

Exactly. Sure he is intense and has moments where he is clearly frustrated. At the same time he is smiling and laughing a lot and continually talks about how much fun the team is. He joking around on the sidelines with coaches (along with some animated conversations).

People have their narratives built up and wont let reality change them

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO Cooper is one of the top WRs in the game and Jaire is still rather young. This type of game will make Jaire better in the long run.
How many teams expect their DB to cover Cooper by himself. Usually he gets doubled or at least help over the top. When did Savage go out and what were the results after that?

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No kidding. Over on Footballs Future where there are posters from all the teams guys were noticing Aikman's homerism big time and they didn't have a dog in the fight. Fox should NOT have Aikman doing Cowboys games. The goof just can't help himself. :p

Guys, some friendly advice. After over half a century of sports fandom, I have a rule in my house. I call it the Cosell Rule.

Any televised sporting event that begins or ends in prime time must be viewed with the sound off.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many teams expect their DB to cover Cooper by himself. Usually he gets doubled or at least help over the top. When did Savage go out and what were the results after that?
Savage went down in Q2 around 10:30 stopping Pollard 7 yd. run.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't hear them after they referred to ZSmith's early sack as a "coverage sack" when he had him practically 2 seconds after the snap of the ball on a slo-mo replay LOL. The volume went way down after that. The game was enough to watch, don't need their analysis.

GBowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I’m a huge Rodgers fan. I just don’t like how he seems to blame bad play on the receivers or coaches. He’s a hof qb. His clock management has been horrible for a couple years now. Too many delay of game penalties. Then he calls for the ball with 12 seconds left when he needs to use up time? And he’s been taking way too many sacks instead of throwing it away when it’s not there. That’s my opinion. You may not agree and I’m ok with that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That sack he took near the end of the game was a pretty smart play actually. We had a ways to go, nobody opened up, he bought time and wisely went down rather than stopping the clock. The shoutbox kind of went off on that play because nobody likes a sack, but it was probably the next best play if a long completion wasn't a sure thing.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
these takes come up every week and they get a little frustrating. Every single qb doesnt see every guy who is open. There are reads built into plays and sometimes the qb is just looking the other way. If you go back and rewatch every NFL game there will be 3-4 plays at least where a qb didnt see an open wr. Rodgers probably wasnt a stud from yesterday's game but he was far from a dud. He made some terrific passes and spread the ball around very well. The offense was without Devante and put up 34!

Man enough to admit "dud" probably was unfair to him. Better could be to say wasn't "satisfactory" however I whole heartedly admit I grade him extremely unfairly because the dude is so good...his satisfactory is better than most people's good.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That sack he took near the end of the game was a pretty smart play actually. We had a ways to go, nobody opened up, he bought time and wisely went down rather than stopping the clock. The shoutbox kind of went off on that play because nobody likes a sack, but it was probably the next best play if a long completion wasn't a sure thing.

Once snapped yes, but wasn't that also the play he snapped it with like 12 seconds on the clock??!!!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is definitely not Mike McCarthy's Green Bay Packers.

Imagine a game in which Arron Rodgers throws zero TD passes, and completes only four passes to WR's - Think Green Bay scores thirty-four points?

A defense that generates turnovers, an offense that doesn't just pay lip-service to the running game, and an efficient, competent special teams play....It's a new era in Titletown.

And I like it.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I’m a huge Rodgers fan. I just don’t like how he seems to blame bad play on the receivers or coaches. He’s a hof qb. His clock management has been horrible for a couple years now. Too many delay of game penalties. Then he calls for the ball with 12 seconds left when he needs to use up time? And he’s been taking way too many sacks instead of throwing it away when it’s not there. That’s my opinion. You may not agree and I’m ok with that.

Rodgers has been sacked just 10 times which is 18th for qbs. Only 4 of the qbs in front of him have attempted more passes. Only 3 qbs with less sacks have more attempts than Rodgers. Stats say he is not taking many sacks at all.

Your opinions are your's too have but stats dont back up your sack claim. The clock management stuff was been debated a lot. Most people probably agree with you. The "blaming" (I wouldnt use that word because rarely if ever has Rodgers actually straight up blamed someone else) bad plays on players or coaches is also one people have a lot of opinions on. I will say Brady, Manning and others have done the exact same thing

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man enough to admit "dud" probably was unfair to him. Better could be to say wasn't "satisfactory" however I whole heartedly admit I grade him extremely unfairly because the dude is so good...his satisfactory is better than most people's good.

Yeah I think that is part of the problem with Rodgers. He has set a very high bar so unless he plays a fairly flawless game we are disappointed. I think we are going to be disappointed a lot then, because with a new offense and a fairly pedestrian group of pass catchers after devante this year will have games that arent flawless. I think it ok for us all to want better and we have seen glimpses. My positives from yesterday with Rodgers is he threw some absolute darts on slants and crossing patters, and that sideline pass to Tonyan was a thing of beauty. It is all still there. We just need to it to click more. And all that said we are 4-1

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Anyone know WTF this was about? No reporter could be THAT stoned to pull this one off without totally cracking up. Rodgers response is just classic.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once snapped yes, but wasn't that also the play he snapped it with like 12 seconds on the clock??!!!
I don't know, I don't remember when they snapped it, or if the game clock was running, i assume it was.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to get AR some credit for understanding that in order to win, they were going to have to take the ball out of his hands and pound the rock. Especially with Adams out for the game and no real clear cut threat outside of him. Last year, MM would have had AR running for his life doing anything he could to win the game by himself instead of doing what it took to win, which is just owning the clock. It appears MLF and this defense are slowly getting Rodgers to a point where he knows he doesn't have to get crazy to win. He even gave sidelines the 4 when AJ run it in again. The more they do that, the more play-action and Rodgers will be effective when needed.

Za just needs to keep his hands down, but I like how chippy he is. Packers need a leader and someone who will get in someones face when needed, but isn't playing like an ****** like Burfict.

However I will say, I was ready to turn the game off in the 4th because I've seen that conservative Packers gameplan and a game that is 31-3 in the 3rd should never be a FG away from being a legit game. All the penalties, the Cowboys looking on a few drives like they were unstoppable. I had to start cooking dinner to take some of my focus off the game.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I think that is part of the problem with Rodgers. He has set a very high bar so unless he plays a fairly flawless game we are disappointed. I think we are going to be disappointed a lot then, because with a new offense and a fairly pedestrian group of pass catchers after devante this year will have games that arent flawless. I think it ok for us all to want better and we have seen glimpses. My positives from yesterday with Rodgers is he threw some absolute darts on slants and crossing patters, and that sideline pass to Tonyan was a thing of beauty. It is all still there. We just need to it to click more. And all that said we are 4-1

What you closed with mirrors what my earlier comment said, and is the SCARY thing. I'm tentatively optimistic because we've literally not played a complete game in ANY unit (maybe special teams) from the start to the finish of the games as of yet. This team's ceiling is crazy...and apparently the floor is elevated higher than we thought as well.

I'm so incredibly excited to see how this whole thing plays out.

*Oh hey forgot earlier to give a nod to Tra Carson for stepping in and doing a serviceable job.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Studs:
  • Aaron Jones: Goes without saying.
  • Aaron Rodgers: He was victimized by some drops and held the ball at times, but he made some amazing plays.
  • Elgton Jenkins: He has been a boost in the running game.
  • Super Smith Bros: These investments continue to pay off.
  • Kevin King: One pick and could have easily been two.
Duds:
  • Geronimo Allison: Three drops, if I recall correctly.
  • Blake Martinez: This guys isn't adding much to the defense.
  • Jaire Alexander: Great season on balance so far, but he got roasted yesterday.
If you want to win big in the NFL, you've got to be both lucky and good. The Packers were lucky at times yesterday (e.g. Alexander's pick on what probably should have been a Dallas touchdown) but imposed their will at times too.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Shannon Sharpe totally undresses **** Skipless....love it.

H

HardRightEdge

I think the review and coaching challenges of pass interference this year is just another botched decision and overreaction by the NFL to the Super Bowl fiasco. It should be done away with. They won't overturn even obvious interference calls anyway. Today's game ran over 3.5 hours. It's getting painful to watch NFL with all the flags, reviews and discussions.
The PI problem begins with the lack of consistency on the field. In these last two games, whether reviewed or not, the Packers have been both victimized and advantaged by poor PI calls and non-calls. It's understandable in many cases when viewed in real time speed. However, it does appear the booth officials/NY don't want to overturn unless it cannot be avoided; they're not looking to make the best call. It would seem they just want the review process in their back pocket for something so egregious they have no choice.

The irony is that they might not have overruled the non-PI call in the Super Bowl applying what we've seen of current practice. Lets recap. Here are the videos of the infamous play:

After looking at it from the various angles several times, answer the question, "Where is the ball relative to the receiver when contact is made? You have to create a composite in your mind of the side angle and the rear angle. The ball is up on the receiver on contact, nearly in line with his shoulders. The rear angle shows the ball is high, hard and outside. It is plausible to say the ball in uncatchable? I'd say so. Is PI indisputable? I'd say not. Is the alleged PI on this play more clear than the non-call of the MVS play in the Philly game that was not overturned? I'd say not. Was the PI call against MVS in the Dallas game more worthy of a call than the MVS non-call in the Philly game? I'd say not.

As for the herky jerky flow of the games that go on interminably, I personally avoid it using the DVR. Last night I paused the Packer game during stoppages, the fliped to the Braves/Cards game and fast forwarded that to balls put in play or late counts with runners in scoring position, then paused that and went back to the Packer game. I don't know how anybody with season tickets or watching on TV in a group can stand this stuff. I guess more beers, some conversation, or doing whatever it is people do when they are staring at their phone might take care of the problem. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
does appear the booth officials/NY don't want to overturn unless it cannot be avoided; they're not looking to make the best call. It would seem they just want the review process in their back pocket for something so egregious they have no choice.

I fully agree with you on how the officials are handling this and I really don't have too much of a problem with the way its going, its still in its infancy. I think what they are evolving towards is exactly what you said, only reversing egregious calls. Meanwhile, the coaches are learning this process too and I am guessing most if not all have or will figure out that challenging PI calls/non-calls aren't really a smart thing to do, unless it is a very obvious miss on the refs part.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I fully agree with you on how the officials are handling this and I really don't have too much of a problem with the way its going, its still in its infancy. I think what they are evolving towards is exactly what you said, only reversing egregious calls. Meanwhile, the coaches are learning this process too and I am guessing most if not all have or will figure out that challenging PI calls/non-calls aren't really a smart thing to do, unless it is a very obvious miss on the refs part.

I have a different theory. I think Al Riveron knows this rule is a disaster and he's counseling his officials against its use. I think he wants to kill the rule.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that INT was also a play where Cooper moved him nearly out his drawers. Cooper had a flat phenomenal day. Jaire was beat more than a couple...I love Jaire, but not gonna cover up he lost his jock a couple times. Dude is still our Defenses flat highest ceiling guy out there 110%!!

That INT was a result of Jaire being at the wrong place at the right time. If he hadn't been burned, he wouldn't have had the pick.

Every single qb doesnt see every guy who is open. There are reads built into plays and sometimes the qb is just looking the other way. If you go back and rewatch every NFL game there will be 3-4 plays at least where a qb didnt see an open wr.

The guy you were replying to wasn't talking about not seeing open receivers. He was talking about Rodgers' several underthrown balls yesterday.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone know WTF this was about? No reporter could be THAT stoned to pull this one off without totally cracking up. Rodgers response is just classic.
it's a radio sports-talk station here in dallas. they have a guy that will crash pressers and act like an old timey sports guy you'd hear on the radio way back in the day. it's a very entertaining station. they've won best sports-talk station in the nation 3 times.

scoops callahan...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts