Boys stud and dud

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy you were replying to wasn't talking about not seeing open receivers. He was talking about Rodgers' several underthrown balls yesterday.
Read further. He talks about not throwing to throwing to an open Allison. He talked about both

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Aaron Jones. Was the complete package in this game. Personally, I'd skip the taunting. You never know when the zebras are going to call it.

Crosby. Saved a TD and made his kicks. Can we please just always kick it out of the endzone? No confidence in our coverage team. If you do a great job covering the kick four out of five times but blow it on the fifth and give up a long return or even a TD you still come out behind on the deal. Better to start the opponent at the 25.

Scott. What a terrific weapon.

I won't go into all the others, Smiths, etc. Generally concur with most of the comment here.

On Jaire Alexander: yes, he got toasted repeatedly. Once or twice he slipped, a little bad luck, and a lot of credit to Cooper for his play. But I fault the scheme, primarily. Looked like single safety with a huge lead.

I hate it when a defense shifts to a soft zone and concedes a lot of underneath stuff, nursing a small lead and hoping to run out the clock. However, when you're up three scores (or more!) with about 20 minutes left in the game that is when you really should go to a soft zone, concede the underneath stuff, wait for the opposing quarterback to make a bad throw to kill a drive.

The one thing you should try to avoid at all costs is giving up big chucks of yardage thereby allowing quick scores. Especially on the road, against a decent opponent. In other words, yes, this was the time to play a semi-prevent defense.

By the Cowboys last series Pettine finally got around to it. He should have started two series earlier.

One final impression: Rodgers is throwing the ball better this year. He's more accurate, and he looks more comfortable. I think his injuries really affected him last year, and obviously the very stale McCarthy scheme affected him, too.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully agree with you on how the officials are handling this and I really don't have too much of a problem with the way its going, its still in its infancy. I think what they are evolving towards is exactly what you said, only reversing egregious calls. Meanwhile, the coaches are learning this process too and I am guessing most if not all have or will figure out that challenging PI calls/non-calls aren't really a smart thing to do, unless it is a very obvious miss on the refs part.

I believe the NFL is becoming ever-more litigious, to the detriment of the game. It's increasingly tedious to watch NFL football, knowing that a good 20+ minutes of it will be spent watching referees huddle, referees watching replays, referees explaining, etc.

And, quite often, still getting it wrong.

H

HardRightEdge

Rodgers was amazing on that Tonyan catch. He can still be every bit the assassin.
Yeah, but that was a stumbling touch pass. The peeps want frozen ropes in tight spaces even if that means more drops and more picks.

The 4th. quarter throw up the seam to Allison, the one where Rodgers wanted the PI call, was into tight coverage and under the safety, not exactly risk free. He was trying to exploit the DB having his back to the play. The throw was more chilled than frozen, but there isn't much call to throw the ball harder than that.

I'm not convinced this is a matter of "can" and not more a matter of "want to". Taking something off the ball gives the receiver more time to adjust.

Back to the Tonyan toss, of course no sooner do I comment on Rodgers' off-and-on accuracy on touch passes than he doesn't miss one all day, this one or the screens. Perhaps he might have been able to rifle that Tonyan thrown in which case it would have bounced off the DBs back. That would not have been helpful.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate it when a defense shifts to a soft zone and concedes a lot of underneath stuff, nursing a small lead and hoping to run out the clock. However, when you're up three scores (or more!) with about 20 minutes left in the game that is when you really should go to a soft zone, concede the underneath stuff, wait for the opposing quarterback to make a bad throw to kill a drive.

The one thing you should try to avoid at all costs is giving up big chucks of yardage thereby allowing quick scores. Especially on the road, against a decent opponent. In other words, yes, this was the time to play a semi-prevent defense.
By the Cowboys last series Pettine finally got around to it. He should have started two series earlier.
yup...but i'd say late 3rd qtr. make dallas eat up their own clock instead of giving up quick points.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
studs: all the energy the green bay cheerleaders brought to the game that encouraged our fans excitement to cheer for their green bay packers! ladies and gentle, introducing you to the 2019/2020 green bay cheerleaders! *claps*
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a pretty studly stat i heard a while ago...the Packers allowed zero completions on 3rd down.
Yep, and held DAL to 2-8 on 3rd down overall, 25% conversion rate. Not bad.

Also, after 12 and 17 yd rushes by Zeke in 1st quarter, held him to 33 yds on his remaining 10 carries.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the NFL is becoming ever-more litigious, to the detriment of the game. It's increasingly tedious to watch NFL football, knowing that a good 20+ minutes of it will be spent watching referees huddle, referees watching replays, referees explaining, etc.

And, quite often, still getting it wrong.
If they are going to do all of this ****, I would prefer they just get it right. No excuses for the numerous blown calls.

Reaction score
Just saw Packers held Zeke Elliott to 62 yds on 12 attempts.

Again, stud: Mike Pettine. Well done, Coach.

Aaron Jones will become an NFL superstar in this offense before it is all said & done. 182 total yds, 4 TDs.
That was a great game for AJ. You know that when you see him tying Middleton and Taylor for most TDs in a game (4) by a RB. That goes waaaaaaay back. We saw some moderate improvement run blocking by our OL, which was what ultimately burned the clock. I liked the Good control of the game clock is a crafty way to win a game and is the equivalent of points when you’re ahead by multiple scores. We did enough to win on Offense.

Ultimately though, it was our D who won the day with 3 INT and a couple more that could’ve been picked.

I guess if you DIDN’T see improvement there, I could attempt re-sending what occurred in brail.
Do they have a “Brail” Iphone App or something? Lol

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had already credited those you spoke of. Was simply making a point that our run D held up compared to what they had done previously.

I saw the game just fine bud. Maybe you forgot Zeke had runs of 12 and 17 yds in Q1?

So, the Packers run D held Zeke Elliott to 33 yds on his remaining 10 carries... through 3 quarters of football in DAL. Excuse me?

Did you really try and take and away runs in order to try and make his running average fit your point? lol

If you can watch this game and think the run defense was improved more power to ya.... I question your eye sight but more power to ya

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaire had a phenomenal INT. Cannot call him a dud for missing on two receptions.

Are you ever critical of anything Packers?

Jaire got beat like he stole something all day and just how the hell is an interception where he got beat on the route and the WR flat out bungles the catch to the point where the ball bounces 5 yards behind him to where Alexander was considered phenomenal?

He was bad yesterday.... Its ok to say it

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you really try and take and away runs in order to try and make his running average fit your point? lol

If you can watch this game and think the run defense was improved more power to ya.... I question your eye sight but more power to ya
What IS YOUR PROBLEM????

Merely illustrating that your comments on how awful our run D was, in actuality, were incorrect. You don't like it? TOO BAD! TAKE AWAY HIS FIRST TWO RUSHES AND ZEKE HAD 33 yds on 10 carries, the $90,000,000 man!!!

ALSO, give me a ****ing break with your "he got beat" BS. IF YOU REALLY WATCH, it was a **** POOR THROW by Dak Prescott. Jaire adjusted to it and snagged it. Didn't hear 1 soul complain about Jaire's PD on 3rd and 4 either...

Really, show me ONE TOP CB who hasn't had their jocks handed to them on occasion. ONE. Wake up, CBs don't have short memories for nothing. Also, we lost Savage for a good portion of that game, negating any over the top help.

Are you new to this, Ryder? Not trying to bust your balls man, but wow. A lot went into what went wrong for Jaire Alexander yesterday, and, I can see what that was perfectly fine. I just don't choose to ***** about it, understanding that the very best CBs get beat, on occasion, and have their bad days, on occasion. Doesn't make Jaire a "dud" yesterday, and that is MY TAKE ON IT. You are certainly welcome to your own take. He made great plays, as did Amari Cooper and Dak Prescott. No one can beat the perfect throw. That is a maxim for a reason.

I mean, hey, we are all in this together as Packers fans. I'm generally pretty positive, but, I know what I see, and for a long while a lot was not working. Things are starting to come together this year. I'm still concerned with OT depth, or lack thereof, and would not mind a legit WR addition. Personally, I think the OT depth is more important.

Speaking of OL, and STUDS, how about Lucas Patrick stepping up and crushing it in place of Linsley who suffered the concussion? Brilliant play by Patrick.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a great game for AJ. You know that when you see him tying Middleton and Taylor for most TDs in a game (4) by a RB. That goes waaaaaaay back. We saw some moderate improvement run blocking by our OL, which was what ultimately burned the clock. Good control of the game clock is a crafty way to win a game and is the equivalent of points when you’re ahead by multiple scores. We did enough to win on Offense. Ultimately though, it was our D who won the day with 3 INT and a couple more that could’ve been picked. They essentially get credit for some of those 34 points we scored.

Do they have a “Brail” Iphone App or something? Lol
They must be referring only to rushing TDs because Hornung scored 5 TDs in one game.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What IS YOUR PROBLEM????

Merely illustrating your comments on how awful our run D was, in actuality, was incorrect. You don't like it? TOO BAD! TAKE AWAY HIS FIRST TWO RUSHES AND ZEKE HAD 33 yds on 10 carries, the $90,000,000 man!!!

ALSO, give me a ******* break with your "he got beat" BS. IF YOU REALLY WATCH, it was a **** POOR THROW by Dak Prescott. Jaire adjusted to it and snagged it.

No you are cherry picking and taking away runs to suit your narrative. You can do that in every damn game if you want. The run D wasnt good. You don't get to remove runs to try and "prove" it was

And yes Alexander got beat. The throw was slightly behind Cooper but calling it a **** poor throw is either hyperbole or just not understanding what a bad throw actually looks like. The ball bounced off him and what should of still been a routine catch (a catch that if he makes he very likely takes it either into the endzone or inside the 5) ended up luckily in the area 5 yards away from him where Jaire had rallied too in a effort to try and keep Cooper out of the endzone.

Saying it was a phenomenal play or that "he adjusted to the a throw" is just dumb and shows an inability to be critical even in the most obvious of situations. He got flat out beat and got extremely lucky.

Alexander got abused all day. He had a bad game. It happens. He'll bounce back and be his lock down self I have no doubt. Doesnt change the point that he was pretty damn horrible yesterday

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listen to yourself.... ha. WOW. I clearly referenced our run D games 1-4 vs. what they did yesterday, and if you cannot see it was improved, then that sucks to be you.

https://www.packers.com/video/packers-cb-jaire-alexander-brings-in-tipped-pass-for-int

LAUGHABLE. It was a HORRIBLE throw behind Cooper by Dak Prescott, one that Cooper could barely get a hand on, tipping it to Jaire who adjusted for the pick. I was mistaken in that Jaire did have over the top help on that one from Savage, further taking away from your point... he had decent coverage on one of the top WRs in the NFL (Ranked #6 by Football Outsiders) on that particular play.

And, seriously, dude, please tell me how "Alexander got abused all day" with 3 PDs and 1 INT?

Sure, he gave up big plays. No doubt. 23, 46, 24, 11, 12, 27, 53 yd receptions to Amari Cooper. Yes. I did see that. Jaire also had significant stops via PD/INT. It's like you're saying he did nothing but get abused, which is incorrect.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
As a team, the Cowboys ran 21 times for 122 yards, for a total of 5.8 YPC.

The running defense was not terrible on every play, but it was terrible at times and bad overall.

The difference this week was that the Packers built a lead and the Cowboys needed to pass in order to catch up. On a per carry basis, the run defense was actually just as bad as it was against the Eagles.

The difference is that the Packers gifted the Eagles three easy drives in the first half (long KO return, KO out of bounds, and fumble deep in GB's end), which allowed them to build a lead and stick to the run.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No you are cherry picking and taking away runs to suit your narrative. You can do that in every damn game if you want. The run D wasnt good. You don't get to remove runs to try and "prove" it was

And yes Alexander got beat. The throw was slightly behind Cooper but calling it a **** poor throw is either hyperbole or just not understanding what a bad throw actually looks like. The ball bounced off him and what should of still been a routine catch (a catch that if he makes he very likely takes it either into the endzone or inside the 5) ended up luckily in the area 5 yards away from him where Jaire had rallied too in a effort to try and keep Cooper out of the endzone.

Saying it was a phenomenal play or that "he adjusted to the a throw" is just dumb and shows an inability to be critical even in the most obvious of situations. He got flat out beat and got extremely lucky.

Alexander got abused all day. He had a bad game. It happens. He'll bounce back and be his lock down self I have no doubt. Doesnt change the point that he was pretty damn horrible yesterday
I gave the agree for your analysis of Alexander’s lucky interception. I don’t really agree about the run game. No I would not just randomly take away Elliott’s two best runs to make a point,however, since these were literally his first two....
There is a difference. It seems to me that the defense adjusted either schematically and/ or perhaps just mentally, and pretty much shut Elliott down after that.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TAKE AWAY HIS FIRST TWO RUSHES AND ZEKE HAD 33 yds on 10 carries, the $90,000,000 man!!!

Seen this comment so many times this season. Alright, let's just take away every single big rush and big pass play we've given up. We have the best defense in the league!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listen to yourself.... ha. WOW. I clearly referenced our run D games 1-4 vs. what they did yesterday, and if you cannot see it was improved, then that sucks to be you.

https://www.packers.com/video/packers-cb-jaire-alexander-brings-in-tipped-pass-for-int

LAUGHABLE. It was a HORRIBLE throw behind Cooper by Dak Prescott, one that Cooper could barely get a hand on, tipping it to Jaire who adjusted for the pick. I was mistaken in that Jaire did have over the top help on that one from Savage, further taking away from your point... he had decent coverage on one of the top WRs in the NFL (Ranked #6 by Football Outsiders) on that particular play.

And, seriously, dude, please tell me how "Alexander got abused all day" with 3 PDs and 1 INT?
Calling it a horrible throw does not somehow make Alexander better. He was out of position and got lucky... that’s awesome for the Packers. Alexander is typically a great player. He is young and was not great yesterday.... That’s not the end of the world.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Alexander certainly got worked over. There's no other way to describe it. He's a fantastic young player, but it was a rough day at the yard.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a team, the Cowboys ran 21 times for 122 yards, for a total of 5.8 YPC.

The running defense was not terrible on every play, but it was terrible at times and bad overall.

The difference this week was that the Packers built a lead and the Cowboys needed to pass in order to catch up. On a per carry basis, the run defense was actually just as bad as it was against the Eagles.

The difference is that the Packers gifted the Eagles three easy drives in the first half (long KO return, KO out of bounds, and fumble deep in GB's end), which allowed them to build a lead and stick to the run.
I agree with this actually.... my post above is more about whether removing Elliott’s first two runs is appropriate or not and whether it says anything about the overall run game. I actually think you are correct that the Packers early lead is actually the determinate factor.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Uncle.

Just merely wanting to point out Jaire was not a complete dud, and that our run D held all DAL RBs to 95 yds rushing total on 17 attempts. Prescott added 27 on 4 rushes/scrambles.

We allowed CHI RBs to 35 yds on 12 att, MIN RBs to 181 yds on 25 att, DEN RBs to 144 yds on 36 att, and PHI RBs to 163 yds on 27 att...

I believe our run game showed improvement. Yes, score ran up and DAL attempts dropped. I did say Jaire had a bad day, just not a complete dud. I agree, he got toasted plenty.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts