Boys stud and dud

H

HardRightEdge

Beating a 3-1 Dallas team on the road is stud no matter how you do it.

It was the Aaron Jones show, the failed imitation of Barry Sanders notwithstanding.

Letting the Cowboys back in the game no matter how many times they shot themselves in the foot was quite dudly. That was a team effort.

After all the praise heaped upon Alexander he now knows he has more work to do.

A couple of random notes:

Jenkins and Patrick did a nice job run blocking. I'd like to know if that second direct snap play to Jones was intentional.

Redmond made some good plays at gunner.

Nice catch by Tonyan, then he goes out injured.

Rodgers needs to stop *****ing about the officiating. Maybe that sideline exchange with LaFluer might have been about LaFleur not throwing the challenge flag on what Rodgers thought was a PI non-call?

Jenkins had two holding penalties. Za' had two hands to face penalties and one roughing penalty. We like these guys but that stuff can't be a habit.

I'll have to see the snap counts but I'm pretty sure Sullivan bumped ahead of Jackson.

4-0 on turnovers is always studly. So is 4-5 in the red zone.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched the Packers beat Dallas AGAIN! They own them. How any of you are *****ing about this win is beyond me. They got Jones involved to the max, they were running the screen game for the first time in a long time and they finally have a back that is quick and elusive. When a back can turn what looks to be a loss into a solid gain, he is special. I scream at the tv as much as anybody but I must say that I like what appears to be a bend but don't break attitude by the defense. As far as Rodgers goes, I think his big numbers games are going to be few and far between. If he has big numbers that usually means they are playing from behind. Just check Prescotts numbers today - huge but still an L. Can't wait to hear Skip Bayless tomorrow.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud: MLF How many first time HC start out 4-1? I can't think of many in the modern era.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are 4-1 with a first-time head coach, which is almost un-heard of. Patience, young Grasshopper.
lol...this old locust is 65.

the reason i say all the coaches is the O can't get first downs after halftime, and then the D goes into press/man coverage, single high, when the boys have abandoned the run and are looking for big plays...which they got. baffling.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

They got Jones involved to the max, they were running the screen game for the first time in a long time and they finally have a back that is quick and elusive.
It has not been for lack of trying. Jones was going nowhere against CHI, DEN or PHI on 13, 10 and 13 carries. How many times do you beat your head against the wall? Hot hand early? Feed him the ball.

TEXPAC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs = The entire team!!!

Duds = The Cowgirls!!!!

The one was sweet and the Pack is starting to look AWESOME!

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be drunk.
Hell yeah, but that's true. First half was just awesome and second was a car crash.

Jaire missed the tackle on the TD. Neither Smith's got anywhere on second half so they don't make the list.

In fact I downed an entire pint after the game to slow down my heart.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That second half was NOT fun to watch, it was excruciating.

Duds:
Skip Bayless. I know exactly what he's going to say tomorrow:

"Aaron Rodgers is lucky he had Aaron Jones to save the game for him.
They should have called a penalty on GB's last interception.
Can't believe Brett Maher missed that field goal, or Dallas would have won, they had all the momentum. Meanwhile, Mason Crossbar made two of the flukiest looking field goals I have ever seen back in 2017.
Ezekiel Elliott hasn't been the same since returning from holdout."

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You did? Without All-22 footage you saw these open receivers?

Your agenda is so obvious I’ve gotta laugh
when the replays were shown. take the throwaway in the 3rd qtr i think. kumerow was wide open, in the middle of the field, after crossing the path of allison (maybe), but rodgers held it and ended up throwing it away. that one sticks out...but i'd have to rewatch and start writing things down.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when the replays were shown. take the throwaway in the 3rd qtr i think. kumerow was wide open, in the middle of the field, after crossing the path of allison (maybe), but rodgers held it and ended up throwing it away. that one sticks out...but i'd have to rewatch and start writing things down.

Weird. You only remember one play?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is def a trash "Studs and Duds" list

but really the only dud I'd put is Alexander.. Kid is gonna be good, he just had a tough game against an elite player. We do need Jamaal Williams as that potential goal line "hammer" tho

Cooper can make seasoned veteran corners and safeties look ridiculous. That one long pass Cooper got over Alexander was almost impossible to defend.

H

HardRightEdge

Duds:

Can't believe Brett Maher missed that field goal, or Dallas would have won, they had all the momentum. Meanwhile, Mason Crossbar made two of the flukiest looking field goals I have ever seen back in 2017.
I have no idea what Bayless will say, nor will I unless I stumble across it here. In any case I could care less what he has to say nor should anybody else. He's just another hack.

However, I would observe that Dallas kicking the FG and playing for the onside kick (or scoring a TD and then playing for the on-side kick) has a very low probability of success. The KO rule change eliminating the running start has dropped on-side kick success to very low levels.

In 2017 the success rate was 13 out of 60, 21.7%. The long term average was around 15%. Those are prohibitive odds but offer a plausible chance. With the rule change in 2018, success dropped to 4 of 53 for a 7.5% success rate. Odds of success are now miniscule, close to the 5.9% odds of missing an extra point kick last season.

I think the NFL should allow the running start in the last two minutes of the game to revitalize the on-side kick, an exciting play at the end of close games. They won't do that of course. It's been another nail in the coffin of special teams play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched the Packers beat Dallas AGAIN! They own them. How any of you are *****ing about this win is beyond me. They got Jones involved to the max, they were running the screen game for the first time in a long time and they finally have a back that is quick and elusive. When a back can turn what looks to be a loss into a solid gain, he is special. I scream at the tv as much as anybody but I must say that I like what appears to be a bend but don't break attitude by the defense. As far as Rodgers goes, I think his big numbers games are going to be few and far between. If he has big numbers that usually means they are playing from behind. Just check Prescotts numbers today - huge but still an L. Can't wait to hear Skip Bayless tomorrow.

I was pleased that MLF kept running the ball in the second half even if it wasn't working consistently. In the 4th Q Jones got some yards on the ground that kept drives alive to eat up the clock and allow us to score FGs. That kept it a 2+ score game.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol...this old locust is 65.

the reason i say all the coaches is the O can't get first downs after halftime, and then the D goes into man coverage, single high, when the boys have abandoned the run and are looking for big plays...which they got. baffling.

LOL this old lady is 65 too. :laugh:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Duds:

Why anyone watches Skip Clueless' show is a mystery to me. I wouldn't watch that moron if his show was the only thing on the air. :p

H

HardRightEdge

King should have been flagged on that INT later in the game. He was mugging the WR there.
That's debateable. The receiver was running into him as much as visa versa. We don't know what defensive holding or pass interference is anymore. Nobody does. So how can we judge?

GBowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ was awesome today.
Missed the first half, but I was pleased to see the d respond to last week’s collapse.
Putting up 34 in big D is good
Duds: **** poor play on first and goal..AGAIN
we have a fullback, use him down there. Remember Kuhn? Almost a sure thing on the goal line.
MLF gets too conservative, similar to MM of old
Pettine called off the dogs with a lead, that is going to lose games
Rodgers needs to quit *****ing and start playing. He’s starting to remind me of Jay Cutler. It’s always somebody else’s fault. He screwed up plenty today.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Defense isn't good enough. Offense needs another legit weapon at receiver.

The record says 4-1. But this isn't a legit SB contender like KC or NE.

A lot of people have jumped on this, so I will just comment to say that I mostly agree.

The defense needs to be stouter against the run for those games in which the offense doesn't get a lead early.

Having receivers running free like Cooper was today is a problem in the long term.

They do probably need a receiver for the long term.

I would not put this team on the same level as New England or Kansas City... yet.

I do think the defensive issues can be addressed and a receiver can be acquired. 4-1 while they work at it is pretty darn nice!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's debateable. The receiver was running into him as much as visa versa. We don't know what defensive holding or pass interference is anymore. Nobody does. So how can we judge?
Yeah, that seems to be the case. I just think the challenging these "judgement" calls has done nothing to improve the situation. Man, the refs seemed to take over the game today. That happens way to much these days. I can't stand how they have to have a group session that takes way too long. One thing to improve that would be if the refs would stop throwing flags merely in support of their colleagues.