Boys stud and dud

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you watched the Chiefs or are you just buying into the media hype? Their defense is worse than last year! Terrible run D giving up over 6 yards a carry.

Chiefs just lost at home to Indy.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea what Bayless will say, nor will I unless I stumble across it here. In any case I could care less what he has to say nor should anybody else. He's just another hack.

However, I would observe that Dallas kicking the FG and playing for the onside kick (or scoring a TD and then playing for the on-side kick) has a very low probability of success. The KO rule change eliminating the running start has dropped on-side kick success to very low levels.

In 2017 the success rate was 13 out of 60, 21.7%. The long term average was around 15%. Those are prohibitive odds but offer a plausible chance. With the rule change in 2018, success dropped to 4 of 53 for a 7.5% success rate. Odds of success are now miniscule, close to the 5.9% odds of missing an extra point kick last season.

I think the NFL should allow the running start in the last two minutes of the game to revitalize the on-side kick, an exciting play at the end of close games. They won't do that of course. It's been another nail in the coffin of special teams play.

I think the review and coaching challenges of pass interference this year is just another botched decision and overreaction by the NFL to the Super Bowl fiasco. It should be done away with. They won't overturn even obvious interference calls anyway. Today's game ran over 3.5 hours. It's getting painful to watch NFL with all the flags, reviews and discussions.

Reaction score
This is a team with a very solid defense who gets worn down in the second half because they have a very bad second half offense. Again they do absolutely hardly anything in the entire second half on that side of the ball and it almost cost us. It is hard for the defense to be in the field all the time.
Absolutely Not so and just to the contrary of what you said. GB won the clock differential by a total of :14 minutes of game-clock.
The Offense carried the clock for just shy of :37 minutes. That means the Defense was only on the field for :23 minutes of game clock. This was an absolute Offensive domination of the the game clock, which directly resulted in a 2 score Win.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
Aaron Jones -what a weapon, his quickness is amazing
Lucas Patrick held up
Z- Relentless pass rush
Jenkins - nice job in his second start. Kid will be good!
DUDS
Alexander - Picked on and torched the whole game. Was downright aweful.
Josh Jackson ' He's never in position to make a play. Slow feet.Getting to the point where he's entering bust territory.
Wr's they needed to step up and were AWOL. Packers don't have a no 2 WR. Its clear.

Being an Iowa fan, I saw a lot of Josh Jackson. He's a real good zone defender against college competition. That doesn't translate to the NFL. Hated when they drafted him.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being an Iowa fan, I saw a lot of Josh Jackson. He's a real good zone defender against college competition. That doesn't translate to the NFL. Hated when they drafted him.
I honestly feel he will learn press man coverage without much trouble, and his inherent instincts translate very well to Safety if need be. In time, I think Josh Jackson will prove to be a steal.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Jenkins and Patrick did a nice job run blocking. I'd like to know if that second direct snap play to Jones was intentional.
I think it was a bad snap, that was just well planned and played. The next snap saw Jones lined up equally as close to Rodgers, "just in case".

Redmond made some good plays at gunner.

He made a lot of nice plays on defense as well. He is a guy you want to have to rely on when injuries start taking their toll.

when the replays were shown. take the throwaway in the 3rd qtr i think. kumerow was wide open, in the middle of the field, after crossing the path of allison (maybe), but rodgers held it and ended up throwing it away. that one sticks out...but i'd have to rewatch and start writing things down.

Come on man? Sounds like you have an agenda with this post? You do not like Aaron Rodgers, just fess up!

Weird. You only remember one play?
SPOT on!

STUD: A few have pointed it out, but I have to reiterate, Graham not only caught all 3 passes thrown at him, but he actually made some nice blocks on several plays.

DUD: Me having to watch the game well after it was over and getting a text from a friend at around 6:30 that read "How about that game ending field goal? As I was watching Dallas catch up, I couldn't help but think we missed one to win it.

Last edited:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw Packers held Zeke Elliott to 62 yds on 12 attempts.

Again, stud: Mike Pettine. Well done, Coach.

Aaron Jones will become an NFL superstar in this offense before it is all said & done. 182 total yds, 4 TDs.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw Packers held Zeke Elliott to 62 yds on 12 attempts.

Again, stud: Mike Pettine. Well done, Coach.

Congratulating Pettine for Garrett only feeding Zeke 12 times? It was over 5 yards/carry, which is not good.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Did you see what DAL did through 4 weeks? What GB did through 4 weeks in run D?

Credit where credit is due bud.
I guess if you DIDN’T see improvement there, I could attempt re-sending what occurred in brail.

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Did you see what DAL did through 4 weeks? What GB did through 4 weeks in run D?

Credit where credit is due bud.
I guess if you DIDN’T see improvement there, I could attempt re-sending what occurred in brail.

If your going to give credit then give credit to the offense for jumping out early and the D for comming up with some timely TOs and sacks which forced Dallas to largely abandon the run not because it wasn't working but because they needed to throw to have any chance of catching up.

If you think there was improvement in the run D please go and watch the game again. They were still running right through our D and it was the scoreboard (not the defense) that forced them to stop.

Fozastuta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These 2nd half performances are a concern, but I'd rather be 4-1 with things to work on than 1-4 and the season practically over. I seen this year as a transitional year, so to of beat the Bears, Vikings, Broncos and the Cowboys you have to happy.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
As Packer fans we should feel pretty confident. 5 weeks ago if you would have told me the packers would be 4-1, I would not have believed you. The team has shown flashes in every phase of the game:
"The packers can't run the ball"- Aaron Jones rushes for 120 yards and 4 TDs (leads the league in TDs)
"The packers can't stop the run"- Holds Zeke to 62 yards
"Aaron Rodgers is washed up"- Has only thrown 6 TDs to 1 INT, but is 4-1 against 4 playoff contenders
- Now, they have not hit every phase each game yet, but it is a reality. This is a legitimate superbowl contending team at the moment. Enjoy it packer fans, we have not said that in about 3 years.

Studs:
- Mason Crosby- Saved a TD on kick off, got hurt, then went ahead and made all of his kicks.
- Aaron Jones- Obvious
-Oline- Potentially the best offensive line we have seen in years. No Corey Lindsey? Next man up. Love the way this unit has been playing. Need to get a handle on the penalities, but I will take a 10 yard hold over a 10 yard sack anyday.
-Smith brothers, Amos, Sullivan, King
-Tra Carson- Signed off the practice squad and caught 4/4 passes. Was not an impact player by any means, but Jones needed a break from time to time. He did his job better than expected.

Duds:
- Jaire got blown up yesterday
- Kick off- Every team in the NFL has a chance to score on us with the way the gunners get pushed outside on every kickoff
- GMO- Catch the football

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't think of any clear cut duds. BUT I will say STUD goes to the team and coaching staff. This team is taking on an identity of being able to adapt and change. Last coaching staff would not have changed the game plan when Adams was ruled out and I believe it would have been a loss.(as it was when Jordy was out for the year) I love the way this offense uses the same formation several times in a row,but you may see 3 different plays run out of it. The coaching staff is only going to get better along with the team.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If your going to give credit then give credit to the offense for jumping out early and the D for comming up with some timely TOs and sacks which forced Dallas to largely abandon the run not because it wasn't working but because they needed to throw to have any chance of catching up.

If you think there was improvement in the run D please go and watch the game again. They were still running right through our D and it was the scoreboard (not the defense) that forced them to stop.

I had already credited those you spoke of. Was simply making a point that our run D held up compared to what they had done previously.

I saw the game just fine bud. Maybe you forgot Zeke had runs of 12 and 17 yds in Q1?

So, the Packers run D held Zeke Elliott to 33 yds on his remaining 10 carries... through 3 quarters of football in DAL. Excuse me?

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
STUD - Elgton Jenkins
*honorable mention - Jimmy Graham's Blocking...honest to God dude was blocking and times well!

Studs - Aaron Jones, Graham overall, Za'Darius (although...I didn't like the constant "injury" and back up later like a soccer guy), Redmond - dude was everywhere and nearly had a pick (called back).
*Honorable mentioned Lucas Patrick - struggled at times, but against a good D he held it down when Linsley went out for the most part.

Duds - I struggle to say Jaire, but I think we have to. To me this is a HUGE growth game for him. He was far to antsy and was jumping first moves from easily the best route runner he's lined up against this year IMO. I also will say Aaron. Again he flat missed open options at times and under/over threw. I did like some of the shorter ***** and flats he hit when nothing was there...so much nicer to gain 2 or 3 than sack due to holding it too long.

As for the receivers, I swear folks if Aaron had made good throws or he and MVS connect on the one he under threw him deep (MVS had that guy SCORCHED!!!) very quickly the lines of the game spell out very differently for them. Gmo was far too amped up, first change took off without the ball and you could clearly tell AR from that play really wasn't looking at him (dude was wide open for a crossing route that would have taken him into the endzone).

There was growth out of the group, there will be when you line up without your #1. We cannot expect mountains to move immediately. We went into Dallas, beat arguably the best team we've faced yet as many would say (best running back) and won. Still have much to work on and harp on in practice, but won.

4-1, and still a lot left before our ceiling I'LL TAKE THAT EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK AND TWICE ON SUNDAY!

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaire had a phenomenal INT. Cannot call him a dud for missing on two receptions.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaire had a phenomenal INT. Cannot call him a dud for missing on two receptions.

Let's not forget that INT was also a play where Cooper moved him nearly out his drawers. Cooper had a flat phenomenal day. Jaire was beat more than a couple...I love Jaire, but not gonna cover up he lost his jock a couple times. Dude is still our Defenses flat highest ceiling guy out there 110%!!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaire got turned around more than once, this was a game he needs to learn from

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with most of what you said especially about how bad they seem to be inside the 3 yard line. It seemed to me that they were just holding on in the second half, trying to withstand the Dallas onslaught. I will always believe in the old saying that "prevent defense only prevents you from winning" - Hard to disagree with your assessment of Rodgers but let's hope to God that he doesn't quit caring like Cutler did. Rodgers definitely seems to have a bur up his ***. Never, ever seems happy. Even when he does smile it seems fake. Lots of cash, nice girlfriend, plays in football heaven - what is there to be pissy about?

Pissy? IMO he seems pleased he doesn't have to be the hero. He seems happy to me. He isn't acting like Cutler in the slightest.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: Aikman going full homer, saying he "hates to say it" but the late hit on Rodgers was legit. Clown.

No kidding. Over on Footballs Future where there are posters from all the teams guys were noticing Aikman's homerism big time and they didn't have a dog in the fight. Fox should NOT have Aikman doing Cowboys games. The goof just can't help himself. :p

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also will say Aaron. Again he flat missed open options at times and under/over threw. I did like some of the shorter ***** and flats he hit when nothing was there...so much nicer to gain 2 or 3 than sack due to holding it too long.

As for the receivers, I swear folks if Aaron had made good throws or he and MVS connect on the one he under threw him deep (MVS had that guy SCORCHED!!!) very quickly the lines of the game spell out very differently for them. Gmo was far too amped up, first change took off without the ball and you could clearly tell AR from that play really wasn't looking at him (dude was wide open for a crossing route that would have taken him into the endzone).

these takes come up every week and they get a little frustrating. Every single qb doesnt see every guy who is open. There are reads built into plays and sometimes the qb is just looking the other way. If you go back and rewatch every NFL game there will be 3-4 plays at least where a qb didnt see an open wr. Rodgers probably wasnt a stud from yesterday's game but he was far from a dud. He made some terrific passes and spread the ball around very well. The offense was without Devante and put up 34!

Last edited:

Latest posts