49ers vs Vikings

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I think a few of us here just thought that Minnesota would put up a tougher fight than they did today. I know I had them for the upset today. I don't think he meant any harm by it.
Oh I don't think he did either. I just don't see Green Bay going out there and doing any better. IF they win tomorrow.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Who knows right now no one on the Vikes wants their QB as their Cousin
Oh this game is not on Cousins. Not by a longshot. There are many to blame. From the O-line that leaked like a sieve, well the last time they played that bad? The home game against the Packers. To the defense who could stop a RB from getting 5 yards per attempt.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Oh I don't think he did either. I just don't see Green Bay going out there and doing any better. IF they win tomorrow.
I wouldn’t count out GB everyone love the wonder kids in Baltimore and they were overall favs to win SB and they were beaten by 1 key piece D Henry so if the Packers can stay focused and stick to what got us to a #2 seed we can pull this off

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Oh this game is not on Cousins. Not by a longshot. There are many to blame. From the O-line that leaked like a sieve, well the last time they played that bad? The home game against the Packers. To the defense who could stop a RB from getting 5 yards per attempt.
I would agree not all on Cousins but he did look like Phillip Rivers in the pocket and he could have run for some key first downs and missed it, probably would not have made any dif anyway

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta protect Rodgers when we play em. The SF linebackers looked faster than Cook. That would be the 15 yard dash in pads running latterly.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh ye of little faith. You make it sound like they are the boogie man. You've seen that San Fran has been had before at their home. Even if by chance we do end up going back there, I think the odds of us being destroyed like last time is unlikely. We'll definitely put up a better fight next time, and it wouldn't surprise me if we won.

Don't get me wrong, I believe we would in fact do much better the second time around than the first. These games seem to have a way of yielding very different results in such circumstances for sure. But, having said that I just got the feeling we'd be coming up on the short end of the stick in a close one out there in Santa Clara.

Well whatever happens I can put the blame on New Orleans. They screwed us by losing last week.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, MN's OL is bad. They made our front D line look like a bunch of All-Pros. I had a feeling it was gonna be a long game for Cousins and company against SF.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Jackson had 508 yards by himself and lost. What's your point? What did the Packers have the last time? Rodgers was 104 before he was pulled wasn't' it?

My point is that the Vikings offense got its collective butt handed to it. I thought that was obvious.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Cousins wasn't *the* problem last night, but he was a problem.

I recall a number of errant passes even when he wasn't under duress.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cousins wasn't *the* problem last night, but he was a problem.

I recall a number of errant passes even when he wasn't under duress.

Cousins did not look good at all. When the play action game is take away he becomes very pedestrian. Their online was bad. Cousins was bad. Cook couldn't do anything. The run d wasnt great. It was an all around bad game.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers simply just got whipped up front on both sides of the ball against SF last time out. The encouraging thing is that we know they can perform better than what we saw.

It would be a monumental task to go there and win next week, but not impossible by any stretch. In 2015, the Packers got beat pretty similarly against the Arizona Cardinals, but were able to get them to overtime that year in the playoffs.

The line is fine in the NFL. Doesn’t take much to go from competitive, to getting wiped out.

Take care of Seattle first. But if it comes down to it, the Packers will have a shot at them.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Against SF, I think you have to match their intensity. All of them are really hyped. So that means giving 100% on every play to beat the man you have. Never let down. Especially after a bad play or getting beat often.Seattle was able to do that. But Pack Attack is right. Seattle first.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I would agree not all on Cousins but he did look like Phillip Rivers in the pocket and he could have run for some key first downs and missed it, probably would not have made any dif anyway
What pocket? In order for there to be a pocket, the O-line has to slow the D-line down. He maybe had 5 pockets all game. Tell us, what was the problem the Packers had when they played them? I mean 104 yards from Rodgers? That's less than Cousins had.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could literally read 2 posts prior and see what the issue was

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
What pocket? In order for there to be a pocket, the O-line has to slow the D-line down. He maybe had 5 pockets all game. Tell us, what was the problem the Packers had when they played them? I mean 104 yards from Rodgers? That's less than Cousins had.
You must not have read my post closely when I said he stayed in the pocket to long YES like Rodgers did when we played the 49ers, and I did not put all of this on Cousins, I said he did have opportunities to run for first downs and did not, yes Rodgers is guilty of this too but I was not watching Rodgers playing the 49ers on Saturday it was the Vikings and this was my 2cents

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings got clobbered.

49ers are seriously scary.

Not ashamed to admit we looked very good defensively yesterday. The bye definitely helped us on that side of the ball. Especially getting key guys back like Ford, Tartt, and Alexander.

Offensively though, Jimmy still scares the crap out of me. Too many brain farts with his decision-making. That int to Kendricks was just horrendous. That could have put them right back in the game if our defense doesn't hold them to a FG there. He will be the catalyst of our downfall this post-season....I truly believe that.

And I'm NOT totally down on him...not at all. But he doesn't know what he doesn't know. Hasn't played enough high-stakes, pressure-filled football to know when to leave 'Gunslinger Jimmy' in his hip pocket. I mean Baker Mayfield has more career starts than Jimmy...let that sink in for a second. He'll be infinitely better down the road. I just need him to play much smarter right now, while we have this defense that we have, playing at a elite level.

I'm definitely rooting for you guys today because frankly, you're the better match up for us. Not trying to be a **** or anything...it is what it is. Doesn't mean we're guarantee to win if we meet again...far from it. NOTHING is easy about beating A-Rod twice in one year. And I'm sure your team will have extra motivation and incentive. It will be a tough, hard-fought game regardless. Its for the freakin' SB....all bets are off in this scenario.

But Wilson just has our number. Even with less talent, he seems to always make our games competitive and my heart can't take another nail-biter with the Hawks....still recovering from the last one. So I hope you beat the brakes off 'em and we get to do this again, Part Duex....good luck.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if Seattles "success" against the 9er's is just a divisional thing or what, but looking at the teams I don't know how they are. I thought MN would be a tougher matchup than Seattle would be. They have 3 legitimate passing targets with 2 having very real deep threat potential and they have a RB that can break a big play now and again. Of course they don't have a very good Oline. Well Seattle doesn't have a RB, they have 2 decent passing targets and a poor Oline.

The vikings have a good defense, not great on the back half, but stout up front and in the middle layer. Seattle has good linebackers and ? I don't know how they do it, but the seem to.

That said, I think we should do very well against the Seahawks as long as we play a clean game. I'd definitely rather take our shot against the 49er's than watch someone else do it again :)

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if Seattles "success" against the 9er's is just a divisional thing or what,

It is because as we saw the Arizona Cardinals also played them tough this year and the Rams in the second meeting took em down to the wire. Timing is everything too though, and whoever gets these guys next week is going to have to bring the A game in Santa Clara.

The thing is Rodgers is 5 years older than Cousins and has had to come back from way more injuries. At this stage in the game, probably going to need to amass way more talent around him on this offense than he has in order to get one more Lombardi. Hence why we perhaps came into that first game a bit overmatched.

Cousins also isn't playing under a rookie HC or a first year offensive system, and he was given an ultimatum by Spielman to win a SB within 3 years. Thus far, he's failed to uphold his end of the bargain.

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if Seattles "success" against the 9er's is just a divisional thing or what, but looking at the teams I don't know how they are. I thought MN would be a tougher matchup than Seattle would be. They have 3 legitimate passing targets with 2 having very real deep threat potential and they have a RB that can break a big play now and again. Of course they don't have a very good Oline. Well Seattle doesn't have a RB, they have 2 decent passing targets and a poor Oline.

The vikings have a good defense, not great on the back half, but stout up front and in the middle layer. Seattle has good linebackers and ? I don't know how they do it, but the seem to.

That said, I think we should do very well against the Seahawks as long as we play a clean game. I'd definitely rather take our shot against the 49er's than watch someone else do it again :)

Yeah I thought the Vikes would give us all kinds of problems defensively. Their just so stout up the middle with their safeties and Jimmy practically lives between the hashes. They have two great coverage 'backers and two stud ends. We've had problems in pass-pro all year, especially with edge defenders so I thought it was a bad match-up. But our run game came back to life with Person back in the line-up and that inside zone is a monster when its clicking....and it was.

As for Seattle, its much more about Wilson as a individual than them as a whole. He's just slippery af and him extending plays with his feet is never going to end well for any defense. Our defense in particular, is built on the D-Line getting to the QB. Pocket QBs like Cousins are really sitting ducks if we're healthy and playing well. But mobile QBs who can change launch points and buy time are going to always make some plays and keep the game close. Kyler Murray gave us fits as well. Either that or you have to really utilize the short passing game and get the ball out quick. Brees and Ryan laid the blueprint for this mode of attack.

So its really just about Wilson. Nothing about them besides maybe Metcalf jumps out at you on film. Wilson is just able to make plays, in and around the pocket that most QBs simply can't. And its those off-script plays that accounts for a lot of their chunk yardage. Your D-Line just has to play disciplined. The Smith Bros MUST still hunt...but be disciplined in their rush lanes. ALWAYS keep Wilson in front of you. You have to rush in levels. If you rush past him, its over. When he leaves the pocket, break yourself down and secure the tackle. You lunge at him and its a missed tackle waiting to happen. You have to tackle him like he's Eric Metcalf...not a QB.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The quick passing game seems to be the 49ers weakness...and consistently....

Look at what Brees and the Saints did to that "vaunted 49ers D" LOL... And the Saints are the definition of a short to mid range designed passing offense

Kirk Cousins isn't any good and it showed again yesterday. Take away Cook, take away any Play Action Threate for Cousins...and he basically is inefficient.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you keep deflecting by bringing up the Packers?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts