49ers vs Vikings

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A Vikings win would do a LOT for our SB chances as we'd have a home Conference game and no matter how good Vikings are, Cousins will choke here.

So what are the chances of Vikings pulling out a win. On paper they seem a good match with meh QBs who can have moments of brilliance and D which will turn up or not.

49ers have averaged more than 20 points to opposition over each of the past few games.

Go Vikings?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I think the Vikings have a better shot at beating the 49ers than we do. Our offense is not built for that defense. On the other hand, the Vikings matchup well. I think the vikings have a 40% chance of winning that game coming off of the momentum from yesterday. If they do win that game, we might actually see the packers in Feb.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care either way concerning the teams in question. I would rather play at lambeau though obviously. I think too many have a skewed version of how good San Fran is because of how terribly we played there.

They are a good team, so are we, so is MN. Their Defense is good, but I think our Oline was playing with cement in their shoes that game and it showed. They're much better than they played that day.

We play better on the Oline and the game is much different. I would just rather not go back to CA if we can play at home.

The Vikings are a good team, I think their front 7 is as good as San Fran's, so we have to play stout up front and we know what we can do. If we don't, those 2 earlier wins wouldn't mean anything.

But none of it matters if we don't win this next one. Play well and I think we could crush Seattle. Limit Wilson and big plays downfield, score TD's in the redzone. We advance.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think too many have a skewed version of how good San Fran is because of how terribly we played there.

They are a good team, so are we, so is MN. Their Defense is good, but I think our Oline was playing with cement in their shoes that game and it showed. They're much better than they played that day.

Oh, they are good. Their end season run is as tough as it gets and apart from a odd loss to Falcons, they have navigated it much better than we would have, in all honesty. And they have Dee Ford and couple of starters in D returning from injury.

Even if we go back there, really don't fancy our chances there.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know they're good, I also think it's not much of a stretch they could lose to MN or to us, or to seattle.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could the Vikings go on a wild card run like our 2010 Super Bowl season? They looked good in the dome yesterday, but how are they going to do on grass?

Reaction score
I just feel like some teams match up better with some teams. I think GB matches up with MN nicely. That doesn’t mean we can lolli-gag around, but GB wins the MN matchup at Lambeau more often than not.

The 49ers present a bigger mismatch and thus GB can’t afford to make the mistakes they did last meeting (-1 takeaways) However a second meeting won’t likely be a blowout like the last one either.

Sky King

Reaction score
The closeness of the playoff games so far indicates that all of the remaining teams will be a tough out. The ones who lost would have been, too. MN vs GB NFCC game would be something special though, like the NFCC game against the Bears a few years back.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The closeness of the playoff games so far indicates that all of the remaining teams will be a tough out. The ones who lost would have been, too. MN vs GB NFCC game would be something special though, like the NFCC game against the Bears a few years back.

Is it just me or have playoff games been getting better (or at least closer if you don't like defense) over the past few years. Two OT games this past weekend and I seem to recall a few last year as well. It just seems to me that up until a couple of years ago there were many more blowout games. Especially in the early rounds. Of course I am getting old and I sometimes forget to put on pants (good luck getting that image out of your head) so maybe I am just not remembering correctly.

I would much rather play the vikings in Green Bay than travel to San Fran (as I am sure most would) but the idea of the vikings being a game away from a possible Superbowl appearance just makes me sick to my stomach. I'm pretty confident that we would beat them for a third time but there is a chance and that is the last thing I want to see.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MN vs GB NFCC game would be something special though, like the NFCC game against the Bears a few years back.
That's been more than a few years ago now.

Is it just me or have playoff games been getting better (or at least closer if you don't like defense) over the past few years.
An effect of parity perhaps? Remember when people complained about the Super Bowl always being a blowout? that's changed too.

Hopefully all those close games we played will have toughened us up. We got a lot of experience with crunch time this year. Doesn't help if we get blown out, of course.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2004, the Vikings swept us in the regular season and then came to Lambeau, only to have Moss moon the world during their triumphant three game sweep.

I'm not as confident that we could sweep them if they came to Lambeau. They would have beat the two best teams in the NFC in the Saints and 49ers. That would scare me.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A Vikings win would do a LOT for our SB chances as we'd have a home Conference game and no matter how good Vikings are, Cousins will choke here.

So what are the chances of Vikings pulling out a win. On paper they seem a good match with meh QBs who can have moments of brilliance and D which will turn up or not.

49ers have averaged more than 20 points to opposition over each of the past few games.

Go Vikings?
In 2004, the Vikings swept us in the regular season and then came to Lambeau, only to have Moss moon the world during their triumphant three game sweep.

I'm not as confident that we could sweep them if they came to Lambeau. They would have beat the two best teams in the NFC in the Saints and 49ers. That would scare me.
AGB.Actually, NO. in 2004 the Packers swept the Vikings in the regular season with two 34-31 victories both of which were miraculous walk off wins. The Vikings backed into the playoff and our putrid defense showed its stripes as they kicked our butts in the WC round.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Go Vikings?
Hate to root for the Vikings again. But if we survive somehow Sunday what would we rather have? A home game against the Vikings or a road game vs. The 9ers? The choice is obvious. If the Vikings were to pull off a second win it would make them very scary. However, the last 2 NFC championships on the road were abysmal for us. One, we got demolished. The other, we gave away. Let us just focus on what we can control at this point. And that is to come away with a victory Sunday.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I could've sworn The Packers swept The Vikings in the regular season, only for them to beat us in The playoffs.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pack swept the Vikes in 2004 and then they embarassed us at home in a choke job by our D and Brett was terrible.

We matchup well against teams that don't have a great Pass D or a dynamic TE who can play vertically. If we can make a team one dimensional, as we did in Week 16 on MNF, we can win too that way. Our chances of winning were MUCH HIGHER without Dalvin Cook.

That said, I think we would still beat them as I don't think Kirk has "it" to win the big one

I mean at the end of it, it's any given Sunday so I think most of the teams are "talented/good enough" to be where they are right now.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MN vs GB NFCC game would be something special though, like the NFCC game against the Bears a few years back.
While Mn vs us in NFC championship would be great, to me, nothing short of a SB will be better than winning the Halas Trophy in Chicago by beating the Bears! So sweet!

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
If the Vikings jump out on them early I give them a chance, if they drag their feet for 3 QTRs, they fold like a cheap suit...

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

I would be scared if the Cousins we saw Sunday is here to stay, but he ain’t gonna be no where near that on the frozen tundra. We got the queens number this year.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the vikings do win what is the over/under on people saying "it's hard to beat a team 3 times in one season"

For the record it happens more times than not. Almost 2 out of 3 times according to a Jan. 2018 article.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I said it before our 9'er game and I'll say it again ... the Pack do not match up well with the 9'ers.

I said it after our 2nd game with the Vikes and I'll say it again ... I don't want to play the Vikes again.

Ergo ... Guess we'll have to let the games play out.

Reaction score
I said it before our 9'er game and I'll say it again ... the Pack do not match up well with the 9'ers.

I said it after our 2nd game with the Vikes and I'll say it again ... I don't want to play the Vikes again.
See. I’m just the exact opposite. I welcome the Vikings with open arms. There’s no question in my mind that GB would benefit more from playing the Vikings at Lambeau verses the 49ers at Levi Stadium. While they are both tough matches, the 49ers are on a different level of difficulty than MN.

GB will have to bring their “A”game and 49ers will have to give us some help to get a win in SF this season.

That said, I’ll be much more confident IF, by Gods Grace, GB wins the next 2 regardless of who our opponent is. I’ll agree that these are all good teams that remain. GB still has the higher ceiling of any team left IMO. Thats the one thing Im not hearing any of the experts offering in their predictions.
The only question is will GB get off their plateau and hit the next level when it matters most.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts