The game vs the Patriots

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yeah I guess going into Indy and beating them at home by 22 wouldn't make you a believer.. and they actually had the number 1 rated offense heading into that game.. but ok

Well if you think it's going to be easy sledding like going into Indy against there garbage secondary and defense then you might be in for a big shocker. Roethlisberger looked unstoppable against Indy.

ewwwwwwww. Indy. So scary.

nlferts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if you think it's going to be easy sledding like going into Indy against there garbage secondary and defense then you might be in for a big shocker. Roethlisberger looked unstoppable against Indy.

ewwwwwwww. Indy. So scary.
The Colts are the biggest pretenders in the league in my opinion. That lack an impressive win of any type (the Bengals really aren't that great so the Ravens might be their best win of the year...and c'mon) and their stats are inflated by cupcake opponents that they've played a majority of the year. Not much to be impressed about in my eyes.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The Colts are the biggest pretenders in the league in my opinion. That lack an impressive win of any type (the Bengals really aren't that great so the Ravens might be their best win of the year...and c'mon) and their stats are inflated by cupcake opponents that they've played a majority of the year. Not much to be impressed about in my eyes.

Yeah the Eagles went into Indy and beat em.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are an idiot... LeGarrette Blount, have you seen what he did with New England last season? ... Have you seen Vereen out of the backfield receiving? Did you watch Jonas Gray vs the Colts? Look up Edelman's production, especially on 3rd downs.. hell, look up his yards period..

Dude...anyone that gets cut midseason is not a great player. Yeah, he was stupid and left a game early, but anyone good could do that without being cut. Blount does not compare at all to Lacy.

nlferts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude...anyone that gets cut midseason is not a great player. Yeah, he was stupid and left a game early, but anyone good could do that without being cut. Blount does not compare at all to Lacy.

Again, just he's just a Patriots fan trying to troll on a Packers forum. No real Green Bay fan (or anyone that even casually watches the NFL) would EVER try to argue that Blount is better than Lacy.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, this is the measuring stick game. If we beat New England, this team is capable of beating anyone in the league this season. I could definitely see this getting into a shootout given our offenses, but the Patriots aren't invincible. Both of their losses this season (Miami and Kansas City) came on the road and they're due for a mediocre game given the tear they've been on recently like we had today. Not saying it'll happen against us, but hopefully we get Perry back next week and the defense can do something to not let Gronk tear them a new one and can do enough to keep it close.

Obviously, even a L, it's an out of conference match-up, and even at 8-4 running the table in December is not out of the question given very winnable games against Tampa Bay, Atlanta, and a scrappy Buffalo squad on the road before getting Detroit in W17. 12-4 puts us in a good spot for a first round bye in the NFC, but a win over NE next week would give us a bit more breathing room for a December run imo.

nlferts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, this is the measuring stick game. If we beat New England, this team is capable of beating anyone in the league this season. I could definitely see this getting into a shootout given our offenses, but the Patriots aren't invincible. Both of their losses this season (Miami and Kansas City) came on the road and they're due for a mediocre game given the tear they've been on recently like we had today. Not saying it'll happen against us, but hopefully we get Perry back next week and the defense can do something to not let Gronk tear them a new one and can do enough to keep it close.

Obviously, even a L, it's an out of conference match-up, and even at 8-4 running the table in December is not out of the question given very winnable games against Tampa Bay, Atlanta, and a scrappy Buffalo squad on the road before getting Detroit in W17. 12-4 puts us in a good spot for a first round bye in the NFC, but a win over NE next week would give us a bit more breathing room for a December run imo.

Given our schedule, and the schedules of Arizona and Seattle, I'd say we have the greatest likelihood of grabbing that top seed. I think owning that tie breaker against Philly is also really going to come in handy down the stretch.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, since we're all talking about the Patriots already, I have a few observations and opinions after today's games:

I'm not sold on this Packer defense. Improved? Yes. Good enough not to get shredded by the Patriots against whom they cannot rely on turnovers? Questionable. When the Packers took the 10-point lead late on a good drive, the defense could not stop Bridgewater from marching the Vikings down the field for a score and a 2-point conversion, bringing them to within 3. Blown coverages throughout the game.

A reversion back to some bad habits. Too many long balls from Rodgers in this game rather than being patient.

A great game from Lacy. Not only is he a great runner, but a real receiving threat. We will need him to do that next week to keep the Pats' offense off the field.

Clay's gimpy groin and the absence of Nick Perry were significant.

Stubby is clueless about challenges. Somebody take the damn red flag out of his hand.

More mental mistakes from the Packers than I've seen for a while. Stupid penalties killing drives, blown coverages.

If the Packers are going to beat the Patriots they'll have to play their very best. Against the Lions' pass rush Brady hardly got touched. He was throwing quick passes all day and only late did the Lions' defense start to get to him. On the other hand, the Pats pass rush was on Stafford all day long. The Packers' OL is better than Detroit's, but Rodgers and MM are going to have a smart game plan going in to keep the Pats' defense off balance.

Unfortunately, if I were to pick the coach who will come up with a good game plan to attack the others' defense, McCarthy is no Belichick. Patriots' game plan to take away Detroit's pass rush with a 5 wide-out quick passing game worked perfectly.

I don't see this defense stopping NE. They won't get to Brady. He's hardly been sacked at all in the last 6 games. That means the Packers have to match the Pats point-for-point, which will be somewhere in the 30s i'm sure. The Packers certainly can do that, but somewhere along the line this defense will have to make some stops and that what worries me.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, since we're all talking about the Patriots already, I have a few observations and opinions after today's games:

I'm not sold on this Packer defense. Improved? Yes. Good enough not to get shredded by the Patriots against whom they cannot rely on turnovers? Questionable. When the Packers took the 10-point lead late on a good drive, the defense could not stop Bridgewater from marching the Vikings down the field for a score and a 2-point conversion, bringing them to within 3. Blown coverages throughout the game.

A reversion back to some bad habits. Too many long balls from Rodgers in this game rather than being patient.

A great game from Lacy. Not only is he a great runner, but a real receiving threat. We will need him to do that next week to keep the Pats' offense off the field.

Stubby is clueless about challenges. Somebody take the damn red flag out of his hand.

More mental mistakes from the Packers than I've seen for a while. Stupid penalties killing drives, blown coverages.

If the Packers are going to beat the Patriots they'll have to play their very best. Against the Lions' pass rush Brady hardly got touched. He was throwing quick passes all day and only late did the Lions' defense start to get to him. On the other hand, the Pats pass rush was on Stafford all day long. The Packers' OL is better than Detroit's, but Rodgers and MM are going to have a smart game plan going in to keep the Pats' defense off balance.

Unfortunately, if I were to pick the coach who will come up with a good game plan to attack the others' defense, McCarthy is no Belichick. Patriots' game plan to take away Detroit's pass rush with a 5 wide-out quick passing game worked perfectly.

I don't see this defense stopping NE. They won't get to Brady. He's hardly been sacked at all in the last 6 games. That means the Packers have to match the Pats point-for-point, which will be somewhere in the 30s i'm sure. The Packers certainly can do that, but somewhere along the line this defense will have to make some stops and that what worries me.

The guy in charge of the best offenses in the league for years, and the best the Packers have ever had clearly knows how to attack a defense.

nlferts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You make some good points, but I feel like you may be looking to much into the Minnesota game. Clearly Green Bay was looking ahead and wasn't playing their best and still came out with a road win against an underrated Minnesota team. Other than Minnesota's last drive, Green Bay's defense was actually very good.

It's also important to remember we are a much better team at home. Our defense shut down one of the best rushing attacks in the league (Philly) and I like our odds of doing the same to New England. Kansas City beat New England by stuffing the run, pressuring the QB, and running the ball with Charles. Those are the keys to beating New England and we are more than capable of doing just that.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't feel great about this game. I think Brady and Rodgers more or less are equal, there is no significant advantage there. We might have a slight advantage in Lacy and the WR's, but it's mostly negligible. The Patriots always take a bunch of nobodies and make them effective players. On special teams, I would give the Patriots a slight edge. Edleman is a top returner, and Gostowski has been one of the top kickers in football for years.

What worries me is the disparity in the two defenses. In their current win steak, the Patriots defense has not given up more than 25 points. Revis will limit whoever he covers(Nelson/Cobb), so someone else needs to step up. I'm looking at you Davante Adams. I think the Patriots defense is underrated, and will be able to stop our offense at points in time.

Our defense, on the other hand, I have a hard time seeing stopping Brady. Brady just put 34 points up on the best defense in football. And the best two quarterbacks we have faced this year(Wilson and Brees) have put up 36 and 44 points on us. I have a hard time imagining that we will hold them to less than 30 points. And it will be difficult to force turnovers. Brady has only 6 picks on the year. And the one thing the Patriots have never done under Bill Belichick is beat themselves. We will have to beat them.

It'll be a close game. I can't imagine us blowing them out, and Rodgers has not lost by more than one possession at home since 2009. But I'm calling it Patriots 36 Packers 31.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You make some good points, but I feel like you may be looking to much into the Minnesota game. Clearly Green Bay was looking ahead and wasn't playing their best and still came out with a road win against an underrated Minnesota team. Other than Minnesota's last drive, Green Bay's defense was actually very good.

It's also important to remember we are a much better team at home. Our defense shut down one of the best rushing attacks in the league (Philly) and I like our odds of doing the same to New England. Kansas City beat New England by stuffing the run, pressuring the QB, and running the ball with Charles. Those are the keys to beating New England and we are more than capable of doing just that.

The game against KC was a long, long time ago and since then the Patriots have played lights out. I don't think GB was looking ahead, I just think Minn came to play and the Packers were not playing their best. I can't share your optimism about this defense against the Patriots. They've been shredding everyone's defense with the run and the pass. Look what they did to Detroit today. No pressure on Brady, none. I fully expect that the Packers will have to score in the high 30's to win this game.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't feel great about this game. I think Brady and Rodgers more or less are equal, there is no significant advantage there. We might have a slight advantage in Lacy and the WR's, but it's mostly negligible. The Patriots always take a bunch of nobodies and make them effective players. On special teams, I would give the Patriots a slight edge. Edleman is a top returner, and Gostowski has been one of the top kickers in football for years.

What worries me is the disparity in the two defenses. In their current win steak, the Patriots defense has not given up more than 25 points. Revis will limit whoever he covers(Nelson/Cobb), so someone else needs to step up. I'm looking at you Davante Adams. I think the Patriots defense is underrated, and will be able to stop our offense at points in time.

Our defense, on the other hand, I have a hard time seeing stopping Brady. Brady just put 34 points up on the best defense in football. And the best two quarterbacks we have faced this year(Wilson and Brees) have put up 36 and 44 points on us. I have a hard time imagining that we will hold them to less than 30 points. And it will be difficult to force turnovers. Brady has only 6 picks on the year. And the one thing the Patriots have never done under Bill Belichick is beat themselves. We will have to beat them.

It'll be a close game. I can't imagine us blowing them out, and Rodgers has not lost by more than one possession at home since 2009. But I'm calling it Patriots 36 Packers 31.

I'm afraid I have to agree. Patriots' defense has been better than the Packers, as has their STs, and that will probably make the difference. I give the edge to the Pats in this game despite the Packers home-field advantage, which makes it an almost 50-50 game.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I honestly don't think it was that the Packers were looking ahead. The Vikings have a solid defense that matches up well against the Packers offense, and I didn't see the Packers scoring more than 25-30 points on the Vikings this game. Didn't surprise me one bit that it was close.

It got lost in the fact that the we blew out the Vikings earlier this year, but the offense did not play spectacularly that game either. Turnovers did them in. The offense had to put the ball six times that game, and much of the offensive success came from having a short field.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm afraid I have to agree. Patriots' defense has been better than the Packers, as has their STs, and that will probably make the difference. I give the edge to the Pats in this game despite the Packers home-field advantage, which makes it an almost 50-50 game.

Agreed. Until this defense slows down a top QB(Which it has never done) I won't be sold on it. Sure, they can go out and dominate Ponder, Sanchez, Cutler, Stafford(They did well against him in the loss) and all of these other below average to above average QB's but it means nothing if you can't stop the big boys.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matchups make fights and we match up well with NE on D. Gronks going to go off on us yes but with our CBs vrs their WRs we can play man on them on the outside while bringing down Burnett to help on Gronk to help limit him.

They have a good line n Brady gets rid of it quick but our problem isnt getting pressure. Its QBs that side step it and run for 15 yards

Their running backs arent special no matter what anyone says and with Clay on the inside we've done a solid job against the run. Well be fine on D.

Their D actually matchs up well with us also except for the fact without Mayo theres a good chance Lacey has another big game. If he does look for Adams/Cobb to abuse their nickle corner.

This is going to be a tough one and im just hoping the naysayers will stop the whole "well they havent beat an elite qb" mantra. Theres like 3 elite QBs in the league, we got one n the other 2 play in the AFC. Chances are limited against them.

Packers 31
Patriots 27

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score

I'd like to remind everyone that Minnesota has a better ranked Defense than New England and even on a mediocre day, we were able to do the job against it.

NE has allowed 277 points this year. Minnesota has allowed 244.

Minnesota has a better D than New England.

Better Pass D and better Run D. We won on what we all agree was a lackluster showing by our passing Offense.

We contain Gronk :eek:, do a reasonable job on the run :cool:and get a little pressure on Brady:sneaky: and this is doable even though it will be an uphill battle.

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patriots pass rush is average. Their run D is solid though and their pass D is what I'd call above average. Their Safety's are both mediocre but Revis and Browner are a nice CB tandem. Their LB's outside of Collins are awful against the pass.

We'll score on NE.

searmh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think onoy a spanking by NE will make me reconsider our SB asperations. If we dont walk away with a win, which i think is definately on with out offence and an improved D then a tight loss will say alot about this team. NE are flying and have a great QB and coach, if we can keep them close then we can versus any team in this league.

I think this game will be real doozy

LITP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi All,

Patriots fan here! Just looking for some football chat- not here for smack talk or any of that other cr*p.

Looking forward to the game Sunday - I think it is quite easily the toughest game left on the Patriots schedule - and I would have said that prior to the Broncos game.

Earlier in the year or so I would have given Rodgers my vote as the best QB in the game - now Brady has made that conversation interesting again.

Rodgers is quite something to watch - a true pocket passer who isn't limited by being ONLY a pocket passer - decent at scrambling and extending plays he is a tough guy to scheme against.

The Patriots D may have flown under the radar a little bit this year after all the preseason hype surrounding Revis and Browner ans then the inconsistent start - I feel that they have finally shaken off the Mayo injury (defensive QB) and are now operating as consistently high a level as I have seen in 10 years.

Having a chess piece like Revis means we can take a teams top weapon and severely limit their impact on the game - this week I think that'll be Jordy Nelson (who is having a fantastic year).

Patriots rarely get to play Green Bay (which is a shame as I find them one of the teams I can root for in the league) - hard to imagine this will be the first time Rodgers and Brady get to go head-to-head - should be a classic.

I think the Patriots will try to grind the GB defense down with the power running game - perhaps using an extra O-lineman at blocking TE again - just like the Colts game.

NHPatsFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pats fan here, and as a fan this is the last game that truly scares the crap out of me.

That said I just wanted chime in regarding my team.
1st our Pass D was ranked #1 till we faced Denver and manning threw for 400 yards in a blow out loss where they got only 21 points, also luck thee for a ton yards in Indy but again only 20 points. So what I am saying is this lowered their ranking even though IMO was two of their best games.
2nd if the team has a weakness on D IMO again it's the run D, they been gashed before the last time by the Jets. (Which was the pats trap game before this stretch of tough teams.)

On Offense the o line playing very well right now and a main reason for the o up tick. I also think you guys are under estimating Edelman and LaFell both are doing very well add in Gronk who is almost unstoppable and Wright as the TD catching TE and they have a decent passing attack. As for running, it's by committee do to injury to Ridley but Blount was impressive last week running for 77 yds and 2 TDs. ( on only 11 carries or maybe 12) against the best run D in the league.

Now win or lose I want just one thing afterwards, that's for GB to destroy the Lions!! Talk about sore losers. (One head butts our center on a FG try at like 1:50 left in the game and their center dives at a rookie lineman in at scrub times knees on a kneel down play by their QB and says that's for the last TD!! Well tell your buddy not to head butt and we wouldn't have!

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Hi All,

Patriots fan here! Just looking for some football chat- not here for smack talk or any of that other cr*p.

Looking forward to the game Sunday - I think it is quite easily the toughest game left on the Patriots schedule - and I would have said that prior to the Broncos game.

Earlier in the year or so I would have given Rodgers my vote as the best QB in the game - now Brady has made that conversation interesting again.

Rodgers is quite something to watch - a true pocket passer who isn't limited by being ONLY a pocket passer - decent at scrambling and extending plays he is a tough guy to scheme against.

The Patriots D may have flown under the radar a little bit this year after all the preseason hype surrounding Revis and Browner ans then the inconsistent start - I feel that they have finally shaken off the Mayo injury (defensive QB) and are now operating as consistently high a level as I have seen in 10 years.

Having a chess piece like Revis means we can take a teams top weapon and severely limit their impact on the game - this week I think that'll be Jordy Nelson (who is having a fantastic year).

Patriots rarely get to play Green Bay (which is a shame as I find them one of the teams I can root for in the league) - hard to imagine this will be the first time Rodgers and Brady get to go head-to-head - should be a classic.

I think the Patriots will try to grind the GB defense down with the power running game - perhaps using an extra O-lineman at blocking TE again - just like the Colts game.

Hey, LITP and welcome to our little forum.

As I told a Vikes fan just yesterday, it's always a pleasure to meet a classy fan of another team.

Brady has been doing it right for a long time. Not to mention Belechick, who I think is the best coach in the NFL, bar none. He manages to get the absolute most out of role-players.

He is the Darth Vader :ninja:of the NFL. lol

For me, keys to the game will be containing Gronk (you ain't gonna' stop that big goofy kid.:)) and sound Defense with maybe a bit of pressure on Brady.
Tight Ends can be problematic for us at times... (Don't tell Belechick that.) :eek:

Pats fan here, and as a fan this is the last game that truly scares the crap out of me.

That said I just wanted chime in regarding my team.
1st our Pass D was ranked #1 till we faced Denver and manning threw for 400 yards in a blow out loss where they got only 21 points, also luck thee for a ton yards in Indy but again only 20 points. So what I am saying is this lowered their ranking even though IMO was two of their best games.
2nd if the team has a weakness on D IMO again it's the run D, they been gashed before the last time by the Jets. (Which was the pats trap game before this stretch of tough teams.)

On Offense the o line playing very well right now and a main reason for the o up tick. I also think you guys are under estimating Edelman and LaFell both are doing very well add in Gronk who is almost unstoppable and Wright as the TD catching TE and they have a decent passing attack. As for running, it's by committee do to injury to Ridley but Blount was impressive last week running for 77 yds and 2 TDs. ( on only 11 carries or maybe 12) against the best run D in the league.

Now win or lose I want just one thing afterwards, that's for GB to destroy the Lions!! Talk about sore losers. (One head butts our center on a FG try at like 1:50 left in the game and their center dives at a rookie lineman in at scrub times knees on a kneel down play by their QB and says that's for the last TD!! Well tell your buddy not to head butt and we wouldn't have!

Welcome, NHPatsFan,

I hope they fine that Raiola who cut block Moore. Since he admitted as much after the game, I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL levied a fine his way. He deserves it. Unfortunately, it is the kind of thing we have seen from Detroit over the years. Trust me on that since we see these guys twice a year and hear about em' all the time. Suh used to be their prime offender but he seems to have cooled his jets lately. Perhaps he has matured.

Sunday's game should be one for the books and I'm looking forward to it in a nervous sort of way. :whistling:

Again, welcome and may the best team win a good, hard fought, CLEAN game.

:tup:

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like our DBS against their Wrs but Gronk has to be doubled every single play. The New England tightends make that pass game go as their Wrs are average at best.

Peppers and Clay have to play like mad men as Brady is a stiff but he does slide around to avoid sacks with the best of them. I'd honestly move peppers to DT on some downs and have him rush up the middle and use Clay and Perry off the edges . I don't see us blitzing as much this game so the d line has to get pressure.

They will put browner on Jordy and try to get physical with Jordy with safety help over the top and revis will shadow Cobb I guarantee it. Look for this matchup . Aaron has to attack revis and the tightends have to be a factor in the passing game along with Adams. Could we see Janis this game and go four wide?

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
I like our DBS against their Wrs but Gronk has to be doubled every single play. The New England tightends make that pass game go as their Wrs are average at best.

Peppers and Clay have to play like mad men as Brady is a stiff but he does slide around to avoid sacks with the best of them. I'd honestly move peppers to DT on some downs and have him rush up the middle and use Clay and Perry off the edges . I don't see us blitzing as much this game so the d line has to get pressure.

They will put browner on Jordy and try to get physical with Jordy with safety help over the top and revis will shadow Cobb I guarantee it. Look for this matchup . Aaron has to attack revis and the tightends have to be a factor in the passing game along with Adams. Could we see Janis this game and go four wide?

I agree that it would surprise me if we blitzed a lot since Gronk is going to have to be accounted for on EVERY play. Focus will be the key on that and Darth Vader is working on ways to take advantage of that scenario, you can bet.

I think they will have to give nearly the same amount of attention to Nelson and Cobb. Can they do it? It's something Belechick has on his mind today, I'm sure.

I think our WR corp can expect some very physical play off the LOS.

To be quite honest, I'm not crazy about our TE group. Has there been some interesting flashes this year from them? Sure. But to me, it's an unproven lot. God, I miss Chmura. And I know how sad that is. :D

Reaction score
This is an exciting and epic battle between 2 teams who hold their own key to a win or loss. Both have the elements to dictate their future.
If this were the Super Bowl on neutral ground.. New England would be a 8 point favorite. Like most GB fans I'm uneasy about this one. The reality is its December in Green Bay and ,thank The Lord, GB is coming in healthy off a close win. We must be cognicent that this game puts us in position for the #1 NFC seed with a win (see Arizonas schedule) but more importantly we would be arguably the NFC favorite going forward.
'm quite sure I'm not the only who sees we need to shore up some deficiencies on the Defense. That won't happen in 1 week.
My conclusion is this.. Our offense will need to carry us. To me that involves getting Lacy involved in short dump passes, ball control, extra TE sets to consolidate pocket protection while offering AR the short dump to Quarless etc... Yards after the short catch will be one key. Limiting penalties MUST be a priority for GB. Taking advantage of a single middle safety by throwing down n out into single coverage ( not down an in like we did this week into congestion)
I'm not happy to say this.. But I have it at 34-30 Pats. We will need to be firing on all cylinders and all phases. Shields up Scotty.
Let's rock this ship

Members online

Latest posts