The game vs the Patriots

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion this will be the game that tells us if we're truly contenders or merely pretenders. The weather is going to only get colder, and despite our amazing talent and on-field demolition of other teams as of late (which I suspect will continue against teams like the Vikings, Bucs, Falcons and probably the Bills) the Patriots are an entirely different demon.

I'm so tired of hearing from other fans that we're softer than we appear, we only beat weak teams, etc. I think we have the emerging defense and the high powered offense to beat anyone in the NFL right now, especially at Lambeau, and against a very tough Patriots team I expect it to at least be a close game. I'm banking on a win, but if nothing else the game should be close. If we lose by 7 points or more, I just don't see how we can be the contender in the playoffs that we appear to be right now.

I'm more optimistic than anything; my faith in this team is strong and I think we're firing on all cylinders to this point. Our run game could be a little better but I'm not too worried about that as long as our defense keeps playing the way they have been and Rodgers keeps his current tempo. If we beat the Patriots, the critics will finally shut up and that's what I'm hoping for most.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have the emerging defense and the high powered offense to beat anyone in the NFL right now, especially at Lambeau, and against a very tough Patriots team I expect it to at least be a close game.
This is why I feel good about this game. It's at Lambeau.
Only thing that feels bad is because it's against a team that was caught cheating.
I don't trust them and am thinking that maybe they still cheat.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only thing that feels bad is because it's against a team that was caught cheating.

I need to see the Pack shut down a very good QB before I'll feel great about a game like that. I'd pick them to win but I wouldn't bet the house on that one.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm feeling a lot better about this game than I was pre-bye week. Watched NE dismantle the Colts last night and the only thing about their team that "scares me" is Gronk... that guy plays "angry". He also plays like a punk, throwing DB's around well out of bounds. Would LOVE to see one of our Safeties drill him early in the game and set the tone that we won't take that crap.

OP
OP
Brandon

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots surprise me every year. I mean, I can't remember a season where they've had a losing record. They get so much flack for being washed up and a has-been team, but that's only because they aren't the dynasty they once were. They continue to play at a high level without very many big names, I mean who the hell is Jonas Gray? And Lafell is their only WR I can think of at the top of my head besides their little hybrid guys like Edleman.

It just impresses me that they keep on winning even when they bring in so many new names and lose bigger names. In the NFL chemistry is huge, and to have Brady capable of getting that chemistry in order so swiftly is just amazing to me. But I stand by my stance; they need to go down at Lambeau. It will be difficult for me to have high hopes for this Green Bay team if they aren't up for a battle against them on our own turf.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NE is a big test. They will face elite qb's in the playoffs so facing Brady will tell a lot about how far the Pack may go. In the mean time it time to start thinking about putting another whopping on the Queens!!!!!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots surprise me every year. I mean, I can't remember a season where they've had a losing record. They get so much flack for being washed up and a has-been team, but that's only because they aren't the dynasty they once were. They continue to play at a high level without very many big names, I mean who the hell is Jonas Gray? And Lafell is their only WR I can think of at the top of my head besides their little hybrid guys like Edleman.

It just impresses me that they keep on winning even when they bring in so many new names and lose bigger names. In the NFL chemistry is huge, and to have Brady capable of getting that chemistry in order so swiftly is just amazing to me. But I stand by my stance; they need to go down at Lambeau. It will be difficult for me to have high hopes for this Green Bay team if they aren't up for a battle against them on our own turf.

Last .500 season, '99. Last losing season, 5-11 in '00. Since then, no losing season, three SB wins and two "good grief, did you see that catch?" SB losses to the Giants.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Isn't it about time to let this go? How much help was the film, how long ago, and which team wouldn't fudge a bit if they thought they could get away with it.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't it about time to let this go? How much help was the film, how long ago, and which team wouldn't fudge a bit if they thought they could get away with it.
There is just something about cheaters that push my buttons and dissolves all ideas of trusting them ever again.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Once a cheater always a cheater. Look at the 'Taints. Really feel that Packers/Patriots could be a super bowl, and I am really hoping its Rodgers and his offense against Brady's and his offense, no injuries to either team, to see how the Packers do.

OP
OP
Brandon

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheating is never good, especially in a game where sportsmanship is paramount. That being said it's still a business, and you're always going to have businessmen that go by the book and those that find glitches and take advantage of those glitches. I personally don't see the honor in cheating, ESPECIALLY when you're a dominant team to begin with like the Patriots are. But the past is the past.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I have faith in the pack to beat the pats. Maybe no 50+ point back alley beat down, but a win none the less. Brady is just as savvy as Arod and a master of his trade, BUT he is not mobile and has poor luck against decent/good pass rushing teams. This is their achilles heal. If we keep the heat on he wont be able to find gronk/edelman. Their D dont scare me much. Arod is like a surgeon and will dissect them like lab rats.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are very capable of winning this game, but it really comes down to the defense. The Pats defense is solid, they won't be a pushover like the Bears or Eagles were. Unfortunately our defense has shown zero ability to slow down top QB's in recent years, so I'm not sold on them holding Brady under 40.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers are very capable of winning this game, but it really comes down to the defense. The Pats defense is solid, they won't be a pushover like the Bears or Eagles were. Unfortunately our defense has shown zero ability to slow down top QB's in recent years, so I'm not sold on them holding Brady under 40.

The Patriots defense is nothing special IMO, I expect the Packers being able to score on them (not 50 though). We'll see if the defense is finally capable of stopping a top QB with Matthews playing inside.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots are scary, scary good. They have beat some serious teams and done it on the road, unlike the Packers. You just can't deny that.

Brady is in a zone. The only other QB in the NFL who is at or above his level right now is Rodgers. But make no mistake, Brady is capable of having a monster day on any given Sunday. Sure, we're crushing teams too, but Brady ain't no Jay Cutler or *************, and relying on turnovers to be the difference against the Patriots is a bad, bad idea.

Patriots have a very balanced offense. Their run game is clearly better than what the Packers have right now, and when you have Brady behind center, it means you can't tee off on him.

Their defense is good enough. Darrell Revis has been to them what Julius Peppers has been to the Packers. He's a leader that's lifted their ****-poor secondary from last year into something much better. And they just stuffed Indy's run on Sunday.

Gronkowski is nearly uncover able. He and JJ Watt are playing absolutely lights out. Sure, he can be a serious a-hole but the guy is unbelievable. Brandon LaFell has also played pretty well for them. Nelson-Cobb is a fantastic duo, but man, who the hell is going to slow down Gronk?

Yes I think the Packers have a significant chance to beat them at Lambeau assuming that everything stays on track next week against Minny, but let's not be silly in talking the Pats down like they're overrated.

And as for the Bill's Belicheating, come on really, that was how long ago??

D

Deleted member 6794

The Patriots are scary, scary good. They have beat some serious teams and done it on the road. You just can't deny that.

Brady is in a zone. The only other QB in the NFL who is at or above his level right now is Rodgers. But make no mistake, Brady is capable of having a monster day on any given Sunday. Sure, we're crushing teams too, but Brady ain't no Jay Cutler or *************, and relying on turnovers to be the difference against the Patriots is a bad, bad idea.

Patriots have a very balanced offense. Their run game is clearly better than what the Packers have right now, and when you have Brady behind center, it means you can't tee off on him.

Their defense is good enough. Darrell Revis has been to them what Julius Peppers has been to the Packers. He's a leader that's lifted their ****-poor secondary from last year into something much better. And they just stuffed Indy's run on Sunday.

Gronkowski is nearly uncover able. He and JJ Watt are playing absolutely lights out. Sure, he can be a serious a-hole but the guy is unbelievable. Brandon LaFell has also played pretty well for them. Nelson-Cobb is a fantastic duo, but man, who the hell is going to slow down Gronk?

Yes I think the Packers have a significant chance to beat them at Lambeau assuming that everything stays on track next week against Minny, but let's not be silly in talking the Pats down like they're overrated.

And as for the Bill's Belicheating, come on really, that was how long ago??

The Patriots offense is scary good, no doubt about that. I expect that game to be a pretty close, high scoring game. Let's hope the Packers will be able to pull a statement win in that one.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, remind me never to make a mistake around you guys. :)
Mistakes we can handle. Cheating is not a mistake. It's a deliberate decision by someone to break the rules. That said, I don't like Belichik for that reason and a few others, but I immensely respect Bob Kraft, Brady, and the organization as a whole.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pats game will definitely tell us what this team is made out of. Blowing out the Bears and Mark Sanchez doesn't mean much. Also blowing them out means they abandon the run, so all this talk the last 2 weeks of the Packers rushing D getting better has no validity.

This will be the first time Rodgers has ever started against the Patriots, so will be interesting to see how he does. (I remember he did play against them when he was backing up Favre, and he didn't do well at all.)

Sky King

Reaction score
The Pats game will definitely tell us what this team is made out of. Blowing out the Bears and Mark Sanchez doesn't mean much. Also blowing them out means they abandon the run, so all this talk the last 2 weeks of the Packers rushing D getting better has no validity.

This will be the first time Rodgers has ever started against the Patriots, so will be interesting to see how he does. (I remember he did play against them when he was backing up Favre, and he didn't do well at all.)
Good memory. Rodgers broke his foot after replacing Favre in the Pats blowout.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2669503

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

That just means you are young. For years I can't remember them having a winning record.

Reaction score
IMO beating the Patriots hinges on the performance of the front 7. The offense is going to do their thing, but we have to be physical at the line of scrimmage. No giving up 200 yards to some guy named Jonas Gray. As great as Tom Brady is, he gets noticeably rattled when you get in his face and pressure him. Even if so he'll make adjustments and start throwing quick screens and slants, we have to make the quick tackles and be sharp in the open field, otherwise guys like Edelman and amendola will have big days. This one is all on the D, it'll be a great test

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score

After we beat down the Bears a lot of the headlines were that the Bears collapsed and that their head coach should be fired etc. Then, they came out and won the week after. The Eagles were 7-2 when we played them and many were on the Mark Sanchez bandwagon calling him better than Nick Foles after his come from behind victory over the Panthers. We put the beat down on them and suddenly Mark Sanchez is back to old Mark. I think the Packers deserve more credit for both wins.

As far as OP saying this will tell him about our team I disagree to a point. I don't see this game meaning anymore or less than any other game, certainly not more than the rest of the season as a whole. This team is 7-3 with some wins over quality opponents, (MIA, PHI) as well as some losses against them, (SEA,NO). This is a team with a great quarterback and a defense on the rise and whatever happens during that game, I don't think it should mean more than the accumulation of what we've seen throughout the season, and to a smaller extent since they've come off the bye.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
In my opinion this will be the game that tells us if we're truly contenders or merely pretenders. The weather is going to only get colder, and despite our amazing talent and on-field demolition of other teams as of late (which I suspect will continue against teams like the Vikings, Bucs, Falcons and probably the Bills) the Patriots are an entirely different demon.

I'm so tired of hearing from other fans that we're softer than we appear, we only beat weak teams, etc. I think we have the emerging defense and the high powered offense to beat anyone in the NFL right now, especially at Lambeau, and against a very tough Patriots team I expect it to at least be a close game. I'm banking on a win, but if nothing else the game should be close. If we lose by 7 points or more, I just don't see how we can be the contender in the playoffs that we appear to be right now.

I'm more optimistic than anything; my faith in this team is strong and I think we're firing on all cylinders to this point. Our run game could be a little better but I'm not too worried about that as long as our defense keeps playing the way they have been and Rodgers keeps his current tempo. If we beat the Patriots, the critics will finally shut up and that's what I'm hoping for most.

Until the Eagles victory we did not have any noteworthy wins against winning teams.
Miami? We barely won that game.

Now on the other hand the BEAT DOWN we put in Philly was kind of a statement.
That one win in my opinion was worth beating the Bears 10 times.

As for firing on all cylinders, Pack is on a roll.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts