The game vs the Patriots

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, until the Eagles victory, we did not have any noteworthy wins against winning teams. Miami? We barely won that game.

Now on the other hand the BEAT DOWN we put in Philly was kind of a statement. That one win in my opinion was worth beating the Bears 10 times.

As for firing on all cylinders, Pack is on a roll.

The Eagles game was also a game I was going to use to tell all we want to know about our team. The problem is Foles was out so to me, it's not an accurate measure. That blowout told the Eagles where they were at a lot more than it told us anything. The fact we are able to blow out teams seems to be a given. Blowing out the Eagles with Foles as their QB would of really been something noteworthy against a winning team. To that effect, I don't look on that game as the statement is would of been.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
The Eagles game was also a game I was going to use to tell all we want to know about our team. The problem is Foles was out so to me, it's not an accurate measure. That blowout told the Eagles where they were at a lot more than it told us anything. The fact we are able to blow out teams seems to be a given. Blowing out the Eagles with Foles as their QB would of really been something noteworthy against a winning team. To that effect, I don't look on that game as the statement is would of been.

Sanchez just flat out sucks. Plus he wears a barrette. Weirdo.

Beat Minnesota. I hope they don't get cocky on this game.

Then we think about NE. (Thank goodness we have them at home.)

Then win the last game of the season.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope our team shuts down Gronk so that we can shut up the media about him as well as shutting him down to win the game.

Last edited:

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
I really hope our team shuts down Gronk so that we can shut up the media about him.
Gronk is a beast.

Covering Tight Ends and RB's are an area of concern for the Pack.

If that concern forces the D to bring up their secondary to cover the flats, it could be problematic.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope our team shuts down Gronk so that we can shut up the media about him as well as shutting him down to win the game.

Gronk is having an unreal season and I seriously doubt the Packers can contain him. He's the JJ Watt of the offense this year, he's MVP material, I'm not sure who is playing better. Look how much better Brady is playing with him in the lineup. The guy is virtually uncover able and should be in the discussion for offensive player of the year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Gronk is having an unreal season and I seriously doubt the Packers can contain him. He's the JJ Watt of the offense this year, he's MVP material, I'm not sure who is playing better. Look how much better Brady is playing with him in the lineup. The guy is virtually uncover able and should be in the discussion for offensive player of the year.

There's no doubt Gronkowski is having a good season but considering him as the MVP is a little far-fetched IMO. The only category he leads all TEs is receiving yards.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt Gronkowski is having a good season but considering him as the MVP is a little far-fetched IMO. The only category he leads all TEs is receiving yards.
Seems like every week a new candidate is added to the list and the one who gets added is someone who the NFL media is gushing over.
Don't be surprised if the leading Raiders player gets added. Or maybe Justin Tuck for making the penalty saving timeout.

H

HardRightEdge

To me the key element in this game is how the Matthews-in-the-middle formula stands up against Brady/Belichick.

If Brady solves it, and gets those solutions on tape, the revitalized defense must be called into question yet again.

Is the new Mathews role the special sauce this defense needs, in the way Woodson's box CB/S/LB hybrid role was the special sauce that stood the test of a couple of seasons? Or has it been a success based on it's novelty, so far tested only against the mistake-prone Cutler and the limited Sanchez?

For the long haul, this might be more important than the W or L.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Brady isnt exactly what i'd call elite anymore. He is a cardboard box now standing in the pocket. A small breeze knocks him over these days. His WR's outside of Gronk all suck and have hard times getting open. The Patriots fold when a defense shows any semblance of a pass rush.

Their run game however is better than its been in years past. Im more worried about their run game than Brady and the pass game honestly.

Their defense is very vulnerable too.

I see us scoring big on them.

H

HardRightEdge

Tom Brady isnt exactly what i'd call elite anymore. He is a cardboard box now standing in the pocket. A small breeze knocks him over these days. His WR's outside of Gronk all suck and have hard times getting open. The Patriots fold when a defense shows any semblance of a pass rush.

Their run game however is better than its been in years past. Im more worried about their run game than Brady and the pass game honestly.

Their defense is very vulnerable too.

I see us scoring big on them.
You characterization of Brady is as a sitting duck in the pocket has been oft stated over the last 14 years and has been consistently wrong. Having never been fleet of foot, he's always had escapability in the pocket. Having watched two of NE's last three games (Denver, Detroit), as well as the Buffalo game, I see no diminishment in his skills.

You're right about the WRs. Belichick has made a conscious decision to avoid spending much in the way of cap or picks on wideouts for several years now. And the ones he does put out on the field, mostly cheap free agents, don't stick around very long.

The offensive scheme has morphed into playing mostly 9 on 9 between the numbers with the wideouts serving mostly to occupy cornerbacks, mixing run with a TE/slot receiver/tailback (or whatever you want to call Edelman) centric pass game. I don't think Brandon LaFell strikes fear in anybody's heart, and evidence would indicate he's not supposed to.

The first half of the Detroit game was a clinic in Belichick-ball of recent years. Short slants, short crosses, zone sit- downs and seams, short outs, swing passes, bubble screens, everything including the kitchen sink in the short passing game. NE had 24 points on the board before Brady threw down the field.

The clear intent is to neutralize the pass rush with quick-release passes, attacking the back 5 in the middle of the field.

And be forewarned, if you come to the game without a pass rush, Brady is still quite capable of going down the field. Or if you come to the game unable to stop the ground game, Belichick is content to run it down your throat all day. There's a lot of patience and a lot of take-what-they-give-you in this offense.

Like it or not, it's working.

As far as scoring on these guys, Revis is back to All Pro shutdown corner mode, and Browner's no slouch either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
The last 7 weeks.. Tom Brady has a 120 passer rating (current rating of 102), averaging four TDs a game, 350 yards a game, 26 TDs to just 3 picks, 69 Completion percentage, top end in 3rd down conversions, connected with 9 different receivers, averaging 40.3 points a game, and beating teams on average of a least 17 points despite the opposing teams record. This past game vs the league's best defense he had over 350 yards passing, 2 TDs, 1 pick (off of a hold on Gronk), a passer rating of 94 and manufactured 34 points..Weapons Rob Gronkowski (game's best offensive weapon), Julian Edelman (elite slot receiver), Brandon LaFell, Tim Wright (7 TDs the last 7 weeks), Shane Vereen out of the backfield and Danny Amendola (converted some big 3rd down conversions) have been a plenty in weaponry.. additionally, the running backfield of Jonas Gray and LeGarrette Blount present a power run game that dominates between the tackles, outside and in the trenches... and Gronk was quiet this game. Defensively, under the direction of Bill Belichick with Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner on the outside, have been dominant

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
If you recall, the Pack has been known to have some trouble with Tight Ends.

I'm interested to see what the Vegas line is on this game.

This game concerns me...

H

HardRightEdge

The last 7 weeks.. Tom Brady has a 120 passer rating (current rating of 102), averaging four TDs a game, 350 yards a game, 26 TDs to just 3 picks, 69 Completion percentage, top end in 3rd down conversions, connected with 9 different receivers, averaging 40.3 points a game, and beating teams on average of a least 17 points despite the opposing teams record. This past game vs the league's best defense he had over 350 yards passing, 2 TDs, 1 pick (off of a hold on Gronk), a passer rating of 94 and manufactured 34 points..Weapons Rob Gronkowski (game's best offensive weapon), Julian Edelman (elite slot receiver), Brandon LaFell, Tim Wright (7 TDs the last 7 weeks), Shane Vereen out of the backfield and Danny Amendola (converted some big 3rd down conversions) have been a plenty in weaponry.. additionally, the running backfield of Jonas Gray and LeGarrette Blount present a power run game that dominates between the tackles, outside and in the trenches... and Gronk was quiet this game. Defensively, under the direction of Bill Belichick with Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner on the outside, have been dominant
If that's not enough, Brady's been sacked only 6 times during this 7 game winning streak with some good pass rushing opponents mixed in.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Games like this can go either way any given day. I bet GB wins this game more than we lose it.
We should have Perry back next week to give the LBs some extra beef. Everyone else seems healthy.

Im speculating Davante Adams will have a big game on the big stage. With Nelson scrapping out a honest living against revis. And Lacy making a impression this week.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense is instrumental in this game. They have to find a way to slow Brady down, and maybe force a turnover. If Brady can put 34 points up on the best defense in the league, I only imagine what he will do to us.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
The defense is instrumental in this game. They have to find a way to slow Brady down, and maybe force a turnover. If Brady can put 34 points up on the best defense in the league, I only imagine what he will do to us.
On paper, overall, we faced a better defense in Minnesota today then we will next week against the Pats.

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2014/REG13
Disclaimer: I'm sure they have not yet factored in today's and Monday night's games.

Members online

Latest posts