Studs n duds Vikings

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like our two young linebackers more than Martinez. I think they need to be coached up some. Especially Barnes, for learning when and where to hit a hole. And I don't have much confidence in our coaches to show the way.

Honestly anyone watching our games that believes it is the ILB play that is hurting us I personally feel is delusional. We are losing in the trenches up front, edges are not being held and holes are being blown open.

Joe C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds
D, but RUN D especially
penalties and refs( a couple inconsistent PI calls)

Inbetween
Couple of ESB drops, but couple of good catches

Studs
AR
DA
rest of O generally ok, can't think of anything really good or bad from them
The fix could come in the form of trades for the Jets Quinnen Williams and the Texans for Will Fuller. Those moves would shore up both the run defense and the receiver position. You’d have to finagle with the budget. I think it’d be worth it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly anyone watching our games that believes it is the ILB play that is hurting us I personally feel is delusional. We are losing in the trenches up front, edges are not being held and holes are being blown open.
So the linebackers should be able to fill those holes. I did not say the ILBs were hurting us. I like our young ILBs. I just think some coaching would help. And I don't have much confidence in our D coaches. One tries to figure out how to help where one can. Since our D line gets blown up consistently; the inside linebackers need to come up and make the tackle.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, there were a couple of times when you could have run a Mack truck thru some of the holes Cook had yesterday. :eek:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fix could come in the form of trades for the Jets Quinnen Williams and the Texans for Will Fuller. Those moves would shore up both the run defense and the receiver position. You’d have to finagle with the budget. I think it’d be worth it.

Do we have the cap space to make these moves?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we have the cap space to make these moves?

They would definitely need to make some moves in the form of trading players on the roster, along with contract renegotiations. But like the old saying (Mondio?) go big or go home.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another problem for the linebackers may be? that Pettine is putting them in coverage even though we are getting thrashed by the running game. A possibility. A few steps back can make a difference.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I like our two young linebackers more than Martinez. I think they need to be coached up some. Especially Barnes, for learning when and where to hit a hole. And I don't have much confidence in our coaches to show the way.

I like the potential...of our 2 young LB's. I agree with you that it goes beyond the players, as it did with Martinez. We saw this with Capers, people were blaming the individual parts and not the guy(s) who is in charge of bringing them all together.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m so glad they didn’t resign Martinez he padded stats and 95 percent of the time making tackles 13 yards down the field.. he never made plays a few charity picks here and there tho lol Barnes and Martin are useful but it still makes me sick when they could have taken Patrick Queen.. all these players turning to be pro bowlers who they could have had. Tj watt... t white.. and they get stuck with king..

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes it’s because we have Lowry and Lancaster as our DEs and they blow.. like I said before and I’ll say it again they Are back up material players. Stick two sand bags out there in their place and that would stop the run better..

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the linebackers should be able to fill those holes. I did not say the ILBs were hurting us. I like our young ILBs. I just think some coaching would help. And I don't have much confidence in our D coaches. One tries to figure out how to help where one can. Since our D line gets blown up consistently; the inside linebackers need to come up and make the tackle.

I didn't mean you specifically were, but can see how it seemed like that since I shared my thoughts in line with replying to yours. Apologies if it seemed as such.

Yes it’s because we have Lowry and Lancaster as our DEs and they blow.. like I said before and I’ll say it again they Are back up material players. Stick two sand bags out there in their place and that would stop the run better..

Lowry at one time seemed very much at minimum a solid #2 for a team at DE....just never continued to progress IMO. Lancaster is merely a guy no one wants for more than depth snaps. Keke is illustrating potential and is still VERY young.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These 2 young ILB's have already replaced Blake and then some. Our biggest problem is up front. Lancaster was at least serviceable. Lowry is on a 2 year decline and I don't think clark is back to 100%, but even so, can't have 2 guys next to you not holding their own and expect to look good. our OLB's have been a liability in the run game and glaringly so at times.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair our organization chose to have pass rushers not all around or run stuffing OLBs when we signed the Smiths. Preston does better, but Z is not a guy that strikes fear into offense's run plans at all. We simply are not built presently to do well against the run IMO.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know, but they need to be able to do a little more, or it's all for naught. Just hope they make a mistake isn't a good defensive strategy IMO.

anyway, Cook is good, but our defense made him look better. They're not as bad as they looked yesterday, but this happens to them too often.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cook had a lot of yards after contact, and a lot of big holes to run through where he gained a lot of yards without even being touched. If I'm not mistaken, he wasn't so much as touched on three of his touchdowns. I could have ran for a hundred yards yesterday.
Also, 11 more missed tackles yesterday. that makes 63 for the season. We are literally the worst tackling team in the NFL.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen PFF and several other sites that track such things but I can't vouch for their accuracy. tynimillers just added one I hadn't seen before. No matter which of these sites is accurate, the bottom line is not good.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why we ever kept these 2 and didn't upgrade that position is ALL on Gutey IMO. :tdown:

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why we ever kept these 2 and didn't upgrade that position is ALL on Gutey IMO. :tdown:
I have teammates in semi pro football that are better... i mean realistically not but you catch my drift

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
To be fair our organization chose to have pass rushers not all around or run stuffing OLBs when we signed the Smiths. Preston does better, but Z is not a guy that strikes fear into offense's run plans at all. We simply are not built presently to do well against the run IMO.

They aren't well-equipped, personnel wise, to handle this particular offense, but that can't excuse this level of ineptitude every time they face it.

I do not think that Pettine is a stupid coach. I've routinely defended him against the more emotional reactions around here, but there is a real criticism that he just can't seem to manage against the scheme that the Packers themselves run.

And that's a problem, because the Vikings run it, the Rams run it, and the 49ers run it. So you've got a team in the division and teams around the conference that seem to have a trump card on the Packers.

Yesterday, the Vikings put up 34 for 173 on the ground.

Week one, they put up 18 for 100 (excluding Cousins' yardage)-- so the efficiency was there, but they couldn't take advantage because the offense was creating a lead.

I think that's the best shot they've got at a solution here: adding a piece at the deadline and using their offense to create leads so that teams can't just grind it out.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In other news I just saw that apparently Green Bay made a new offer for will fuller. No details yet.
Has been said that they are asking for a 2-3 round pick and a late round. Apparently gutekunst is at the 4th round pick. Take it with a grain of salt
But the beat writer for the Texans is pretty credible and has good sources.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have to find a way to make something happen though. you can just give up long drive after long drive after long drive hoping for a mistake by the opponent and even when they do make one putting them into 3rd and long, you give it up anyway.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In other news I just saw that apparently Green Bay made a new offer for will fuller. No details yet.
Has been said that they are asking for a 2-3 round pick and a late round. Apparently gutekunst is at the 4th round pick. Take it with a grain of salt
But the beat writer for the Texans is pretty credible and has good sources.

Can they throw in a DL player too? After the game yesterday, besides hating the loss, I also thought "well if Gute only makes one move before the Trade deadline, this has now taken some of the focus off the need at WR and put it directly on the DL". I guess we will see what happens in the next 16 hrs. I'm not holding my breath.

To be quite honest, Gute shouldn't be making a move that only has this year in mind. I don't really think that the Packers are just 1-2 players away from winning a Super Bowl. 1 or 2 players should improve them, but hopefully not at the expense of the future. With the cap situation being what it will be in 2021, Gute has to navigate any move he makes now not to be a "shove of chips all in for 2020" type of move.

Few Packer fan would like it and I doubt he does it, but he could even go the opposite direction and see that this team really is short some key parts. How would fans react if he got an offer of a first round pick for Aaron Jones?

EDIT: Now that I look at Fuller's contract, I would be a bit hesitant on the trade. He is in his final year of his rookie deal. What would it take to resign him?

Last edited: