Studs n duds Giants

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Show me a DB that's afraid to get beat deep and I'll show you Kevin King. I give him credit for being able to stay on the field and he has had some good moments. He has also had some glaringly bad moments. Now he just needs to improve his performance overall.

He has had his bad games but I thought overall he looked pretty good today. Of course the Gmen were without their best WRs but this kind of game can do wonders for King's confidence if nothing else.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: The coaches.

Why can't they get this team fired up every game.
This is not a 9-3 team it should be 12-0.
There's to much talent on this team to coach a see-saw season.

Come on now Mike. Did you see the game last week?

We are fortunate to be a 9-3 team.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: Return units and the staff not putting Lazard in as the FULL TIME #2 wr. He’s clearly better than MVS and Allison. Kevin King cannot play man to man.he will get a gift int every now and then...but more time than not he will give up catches.

Stud: Crosby

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: The coaches.

Why can't they get this team fired up every game.
This is not a 9-3 team it should be 12-0.
There's to much talent on this team to coach a see-saw season.
Did you really just refer to 9-3 as a "see-saw season"?

I'm not sure you know what that means

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think overall it was a very steady professional game we played. O played reasonably well with a couple of big plays, and a couple of mistakes, and the D was very similar. the type of game we needed after last week, and hope to continue against the skins & bears to build up a bit of momentum and positivity going into the vikings game.

just realised the vikings game is MNF, dammit

Dayooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Team as a whole STUD. They are an excellent second echelon team, but they are not capable of playing with the big boys

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread is light when we win from a team which we are supposed to destroy. It isn't as light if we beat a quality opponent.

Good opponent or bad, win or a loss, there are players who play good and players who play bad.

Did you really just refer to 9-3 as a "see-saw season"?

I'm not sure you know what that means
Well, there has been 3x as much seeing as sawing . . .

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
J. Williams -- he always plays hard. Got the yards after contact.
Lazard -- got open and hung onto the ball. Should be the #2.
M. Lewis -- not targeted often, but gets it done when he is.
Crosby -- consummate professional
Clark -- I wish we had one or two more of him
Z. Smith
Rodgers -- 4TDs and no INT in tough conditions.

Duds:
Still not liking the play calls/audibles to long throws on 2nd and long and 3rd and long. Prefer to move the chains. It worked a few times against a poor secondary, but hasn't and won't against a good defense.

Defense's inability to get off the field. Giving up too many 9 yard completions on 3rd and 8. Soft coverage basically conceding the first down on several occasions. Part of this is Martinez' inability to cover. Some of it is scheme.

Gary. Our highest pick in several years and he's contributed nothing. Blown pick. Costly blown pick. Maybe he'll get better, but a high first rounder should not be a 'project.' Note to Gute: don't do that again.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it is the Giants, team needed a game like this. Would like to see another one next week. Need to clean up on defense for when a real offense shows up.

Happy to see Crosby getting some love, especially after most of this forum was calling for him to get cut in August.

H

HardRightEdge

This was an unsual game in the criticality of 4th. down conversions.

The Giants stayed in the game with 3-3 in the first half on short yardage (after being pretty bad at it this season), scoring 10 pints on the extended drives. That's like 10 points off turnovers.

Then, 17-13, 3rd. quarter, 4:24, 4th. and 10 at the Giants 35: Rodgers to Allison, first down.

For my money, that was the most studly play of the season to date. Failing that is like a turnover and a momentum swing. The Packers sieze control, go on to score the TD, take a two score lead, Jones starts pressing into a couple of INTs, and the game gets out of hand.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Happy to see Crosby getting some love, especially after most of this forum was calling for him to get cut in August.

To be fair many felt this way for the return on the money, I don't think anyone logically dislikes Mason and are mad to see him having a heck of a year. I love the guy, but I was and still am in the boat of moving on from him may be best for the team.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was an unsual game in the criticality of 4th. down conversions.

The Giants stayed in the game with 3-3 in the first half on short yardage (after being pretty bad at it this season), scoring 10 pints on the extended drives. That's like 10 points off turnovers.

Then, 17-13, 3rd. quarter, 4:24, 4th. and 10 at the Giants 35: Rodgers to Allison, first down.

For my money, that was the most studly play of the season to date. Failing that is like a turnover and a momentum swing. The Packers sieze control, go on to score the TD, take a two score lead, Jones starts pressing into a couple of INTs, and the game gets out of hand.

Fourth downs were critical. One of the problems with playing lousy teams late in the season is they have nothing much to lose. So they can go for it on fourth down pretty much anywhere on the field. Defense needs to hold for four downs, not just three.

We'll see that against the Redskins, too. Defense needs to have a mindset that the fourth down plays are essentially turnover opportunities. Getting the stop on fourth is equal to recovering a fumble, and probably better than an INT in terms of field position. And far superior to forcing a punt. So, yes, you have to play four downs instead of three, but doing it successfully is a big deal.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Beating Daniel Jones is no great feat, but I will say that his season long QB Rating is 84, and yesterday it was 49, his season low.

H

HardRightEdge

Fourth downs were critical. One of the problems with playing lousy teams late in the season is they have nothing much to lose.
My pregame breakdown concluded that what seperated the Giants from 0.500 teams were their negative turnover differential and and their poor 4th. down conversion rate on a league leading number of tries. 0.500 teams are not pushovers.

So, in the first half they convert the 3rd. downs, give up the one pick, with that equating to +1 on turnovers in the first half, staying in the game. Now they're looking a bit better than a 0.500 team on this given Sunday.

In the second half, the Packers convert that big 4th. down, the Giants fail on their one try, and the Packers get 2 picks. Discounting the Giant's failed 4th. down in garbage time, call it +3 turnover equivalent in the second half, winning going away.

In any case, the Packers remained true to their identity:

+3 on actual turnovers (call it -3 points on 4th. down conversions)
Offense: 3 for 3 TDs in the red zone
Defense: 1 for 3 TDs in the red zone (or 1 for 2 excluding garbage time)

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Beating Daniel Jones is no great feat, but I will say that his season long QB Rating is 84, and yesterday it was 49, his season low.
Also - I haven't fact checked this, but LaFleur said that the Giants have been within one score in the 4th quarter in each of its last 7 games entering Sunday. They aren't a great team, but it would appear that they are hanging tough.

In those conditions, we'll take an 18 point win for sure.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
stud: beating a team that won 2 games all season!
dud: beating a team that won 2 games all season!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has the potential to be a pretty good QB I think. Turned the ball over like most young QB's, but he looks to be able to throw the ball pretty well.

H

HardRightEdge

Also - I haven't fact checked this, but LaFleur said that the Giants have been within one score in the 4th quarter in each of its last 7 games entering Sunday. They aren't a great team, but it would appear that they are hanging tough.

In those conditions, we'll take an 18 point win for sure.
The Giants are like the Broncos...more competitive than their record would indicate.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, throw the Giants in the AFC and depending on which division their in honestly they're in Playoff contention.

H

HardRightEdge

Yup, throw the Giants in the AFC and depending on which division their in honestly they're in Playoff contention.
I wouldn't go that far. It's a rare rookie QB who doesn't need a year to learn how to win providing he ever learns it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far. It's a rare rookie QB who doesn't need a year to learn how to win providing he ever learns it.

The Steelers with a 4th string QB are in. The AFC very top sided heavy...it may be stretch but not that far what I claimed.