Studs n duds Giants

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: Kevin King - had a gimme pick and one nice break up, thats it, got burned repeatedly and what is with standing 8 yds off the LOS...Pettine is a larger problem as I do think King should bump at the line, but he is still getting beat.

Offenses are obviously picking on King. He still looks lost, running the wrong way, arriving late...etc.

MVS - He's slowly donning a 1 trick pony label. I believe he drew Janoris Jenkins all game but still he should have come up with SOMETHING.

For all of his speed he is not getting open and appears to be running poor routes.

Billy Turner/ Linsley - Im sorry but inside right of this oline is less than avg

The oline in general has been **** poor. Bak is in the top of the league in penalties. Bulaga is made of fragile china. The guards and the center are turnstyles in the passing game and have been getting stoned in the running game. This group really concerns me in regards to our playoff chances.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: Return units and the staff
I remember the announcers mentioning that our punt return yardage for the year was -11. Holy Moly!!! That's must be the worst all time for a Packers team!

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary. Our highest pick in several years and he's contributed nothing. Blown pick. Costly blown pick. Maybe he'll get better, but a high first rounder should not be a 'project.' Note to Gute: don't do that again.
I agree. Gary got in the game and the next thing I see is him holding his ankle. The guy was an injury concern in college, right?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree. Gary got in the game and the next thing I see is him holding his ankle. The guy was an injury concern in college, right?

Yep! Everyone said "draft this guy and you're going to be disappointed because he's had shoulder issues and so he's going to turn his ankle." Should have seen it coming.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember the announcers mentioning that our punt return yardage for the year was -11. Holy Moly!!! That's must be the worst all time for a Packers team!

It is the worst all time for ANY team.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep! Everyone said "draft this guy and you're going to be disappointed because he's had shoulder issues and so he's going to turn his ankle." Should have seen it coming.
I hope he can be productive, but he may also be injury prone. Ankle/shoulder whatever the hell else has kept him off the field. Z is out there playing his tail off and Gary is a no show.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Show me a DB that's afraid to get beat deep and I'll show you Kevin King. I give him credit for being able to stay on the field and he has had some good moments. He has also had some glaringly bad moments. Now he just needs to improve his performance overall.

Because of all the games he's missed he is really just a rookie out there if you think about it. Yes, let's hope he continues to improve.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I hope he can be productive, but he may also be injury prone. Ankle/shoulder whatever the hell else has kept him off the field. Z is out there playing his tail off and Gary is a no show.

Gary hasn't lived up to his stock yet, and he may not ever do so. It's too early to say.

But to act as though he's injury prone because his ankle got rolled is silly. That could literally happen to any player.

He missed like 4 games at Michigan. That's it.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary hasn't lived up to his stock yet, and he may not ever do so. It's too early to say.

But to act as though he's injury prone because his ankle got rolled is silly. That could literally happen to any player.

He missed like 4 games at Michigan. That's it.

I know a lot of folks are unhappy that Gary isn't seeing a lot of action but he is behind Z. Smith on the depth chart, right? If so I can't imagine Pettine and the LB coach would take Smith out and insert Gary instead.

D

Deleted member 6794

Clark -- I wish we had one or two more of him

That would be awesome but unfortunately completely unrealistic.

Defense's inability to get off the field. Giving up too many 9 yard completions on 3rd and 8. Soft coverage basically conceding the first down on several occasions. Part of this is Martinez' inability to cover. Some of it is scheme.

The Packers defense is the fourth best in the league in allowing a first down on third and seven or more yards at only 19.4%.

Happy to see Crosby getting some love, especially after most of this forum was calling for him to get cut in August.

Gutekunst should have spent the money saved by going with a kicker on a rookie deal on upgrading the inside linebacker position. The Packers would be a better team because of it.

Yup, throw the Giants in the AFC and depending on which division their in honestly they're in Playoff contention.

The Giants are 2-10 in the worst division in football. They wouldn't have made the playoffs in the AFC either.

The oline in general has been **** poor. Bak is in the top of the league in penalties. Bulaga is made of fragile china. The guards and the center are turnstyles in the passing game and have been getting stoned in the running game. This group really concerns me in regards to our playoff chances.

While the offensive line has struggled to protect Rodgers as well as open up holes for the running backs they haven't been as bad as you claim.

Just to point out how terrible the Packers have been on punt returns this season, since 1983 there has only been a single team with less than 100 punt return yards per season (2015 Chargers - 84) and they were significantly better than the 2019 Packers.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I know a lot of folks are unhappy that Gary isn't seeing a lot of action but he is behind Z. Smith on the depth chart, right? If so I can't imagine Pettine and the LB coach would take Smith out and insert Gary instead.
Gary was drafted as a project...it was to get him going slowly... they assumed the def would be at worse average.. so had time to bring him along..

Next year his plying should double

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Because of all the games he's missed he is really just a rookie out there if you think about it. Yes, let's hope he continues to improve.
King is scapegoat.. he isn't as bad as people think.. he is 3rd year but as you said almost a rookie.. but has started 22 games.. so a 2nd year player..takes over 3 years to get comfortable unless really good..

D

Deleted member 6794

Gary was drafted as a project...it was to get him going slowly... they assumed the def would be at worse average.. so had time to bring him along..

Next year his plying should double

In my opinion it's not the right approach to spend the 12th overall pick on a project, especially with Rodgers getting up there in age.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion it's not the right approach to spend the 12th overall pick on a project, especially with Rodgers getting up there in age.

I tend to agree, but is easier to do now after the fact. The Smiths brought in and Fackrell still on the line up would have made me want a guy I know instantly contributes....imagine getting an actual starting WR there and Savage still later in the 1st...Marquise Brown was there....shoot even Deebo was...or we go Fant and the Jace pick changes.

H

HardRightEdge

King is scapegoat.. he isn't as bad as people think.. he is 3rd year but as you said almost a rookie.. but has started 22 games.. so a 2nd year player..takes over 3 years to get comfortable unless really good..
He's not a bad player. He just makes a bad play or two per game, usually on double moves.

There's good news. Tuning into the last 20 minutes of the SEA-MIN game, I was treated to some bad football, two really bad blown coverages and a deep throw PI.

Reaction score
Come on now Mike. Did you see the game last week?

We are fortunate to be a 9-3 team.
Truthfully we’re a 9-3 team playing 7-5 ball. We need to tighten up down the stretch.
Happy to see Crosby getting some love, especially after most of this forum was calling for him to get cut in August.
It’s great to see him overcoming that tough adversity. He’s a good man who’s proven to be very involved in helping others in the community. It’s ok to help yourself sometimes and statistically he’s doing that big time.
He’s our “X” factor. I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see him win us a playoff game this year. He’s very focused right now. We need to continue praying for his family.

Reaction score
I'm not gonna list a player as a stud when they play up to expectations (not above) a week after the **** the bed sorry.
A specific past performance should not dictate a thread about a specific game. A poster can list a player as a “dud” one week and a “stud” the next.

it’s my Opinion, but Aaron’s performance definitely wasn’t so bad you had to call out a poster who tried to give him accolades, just because you’re sore about your expectations not being met from a previous contest.

btw, an interesting tidbit. Rodgers performance last Sunday has him approaching another record. He broke the top 5 QBs (surpasses Marino) in NFL history for total 4 TD passing games (22) He’s not even close to being done yet. Brett Favre.. you’re next
Brett Favre (23)
Tom Brady (27)
Drew Brees (31)
Peyton Manning (35)

Not too shabby for a “washed up” QB (sarcasm)

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts