Stud n duds Rams

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They put 32 points on the best defense in football in a game where Rodgers missed what could have been a huge TD, the refs decided to just end an offensive drive on the Rams' behalf, and they ended up taking a knee to end the game while on the door step.

LaFleur and Hackett's plan was excellent. Rodgers was truly vintage in making plays when the 1st/2nd reads weren't there, and the offensive line was fantastic! There were several instances of the Rams disguising coverage well enough to make Rodgers hold it, and he just about always had time. Add to that, they were awesome in the running game. If I only had one game ball to give for today, it's them.

Pettine's game plan was pretty wretched, and he was allowing an injured Goff to carve him up in the cold. But he adjusted nicely. So I guess he gets a "st-dud."

Jalen Ramsey is soft. I do not remember the last time I saw a guy so eager to avoid contact. That's two 1st round picks and a 100M contract running around out there and he won't tackle. Yeesh.

Pass catchers not named Adams accounted for 14 catches for 230 yards and a score.

They will need to find a new ST Coordinator in the offseason.

I fully expect Super Bowl victory #5.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said

And it should been that blow out..as you stated the over throws ended drives

Thank You. The thing is I don't know that I would really feel any better about it right now had it been that blow out. Aside from maybe the final score, IMO this was a blowout. The Titans game may have been better but I watched that game on my phone and couldn't get the same feeling like I did this game on the hi def big screen.

My grumbling with the 3rd Qtr is at times it seems habitual that the Packers can jump out to a great first half but just seem to unravel late in the 2nd Qtr and it bleeds over into the nasty 3rd Qtr when the D seems to get complacent and the offense out of sync, which gave life to a team the Packers were ready to blow out the building, it’s just a noticeable pattern that follows to many games, I agree with you that if the Packers can play a good as they did today and tweak a few things the Lombardi trophy will return home to GB

I can see that and in some games I think that feeling was warranted. I just don't think it was today. Given some of those past performances, I can see why one might have gotten that feeling as the game unfolded today as well but certainly after the game I don't think it is a legitimate complaint.

They put 32 points on the best defense in football in a game where Rodgers missed what could have been a huge TD, the refs decided to just end an offensive drive on the Rams' behalf, and they ended up taking a knee to end the game while on the door step.

LaFleur and Hackett's plan was excellent. Rodgers was truly vintage in making plays when the 1st/2nd reads weren't there, and the offensive line was fantastic! There were several instances of the Rams disguising coverage well enough to make Rodgers hold it, and he just about always had time. Add to that, they were awesome in the running game. If I only had one game ball to give for today, it's them.

Pettine's game plan was pretty wretched, and he was allowing an injured Goff to carve him up in the cold. But he adjusted nicely. So I guess he gets a "st-dud."

Jalen Ramsey is soft. I do not remember the last time I saw a guy so eager to avoid contact. That's two 1st round picks and a 100M contract running around out there and he won't tackle. Yeesh.

Pass catchers not named Adams accounted for 14 catches for 230 yards and a score.

They will need to find a new ST Coordinator in the offseason.

I fully expect this Super Bowl #5.

I almost wish there had been another minute on the clock. It would have been nice to see Williams run one in or Jones knock back another one but I'm not greedy, I'll take it as it is.

I agree 100% on the O-line. The Rams #1D was not a factor. Not only did we put up 32 points but nearly 500 yards as well.

Anybody who watched this game and doesn't think we can beat any team remaining is simply not being honest with themselves.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers are 14-3, hosting the NFCCG for the first time since the 2007 season and probably most important, they are pretty damn healthy. I like our chances against any of the 4 teams left.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I almost wish there had been another minute on the clock. It would have been nice to see Williams run one in or Jones knock back another one but I'm not greedy, I'll take it as it is.

I agree 100% on the O-line. The Rams #1D was not a factor. Not only did we put up 32 points but nearly 500 yards as well.

Anybody who watched this game and doesn't think we can beat any team remaining is simply not being honest with themselves.

I feared the Rams matchup more than anyone left in the field. That's why I felt like if they won today, they'd win it all.

Now, as we all know-- I'm dumb. So maybe the Rams matchup was not as bad as I thought. But today can't be anything but a terrific sign that the Packers offense will drop 30+ on anyone they face.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Seeing a lot of post-game stuff from the commentariat about how the Packers defense is super frustrating to watch, but often looks really good in the final analysis. I feel that. There were times today when I was disgusted with the approach. And yet the final totals were really healthy.

I wonder if this is just the 2021 fan experience when it comes to defense, or if it's particularly unique to the way Pettine's defenses play.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Seeing a lot of post-game stuff from the commentariat about how the Packers defense is super frustrating to watch, but often looks really good in the final analysis. I feel that. There were times today when I was disgusted with the approach. And yet the final totals were really healthy.

I wonder if this is just the 2021 fan experience when it comes to defense, or if it's particularly unique to the way Pettine's defenses play.
Broadcast said something like since week 13, Def gives up around 17.4 points per game. And if im off by a few 10ths of a point let it go..

Point is this Def has stepped up and I think it is all about Barnes and being the green helmet wearer

Last edited:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O-Line and all 3 backs (besides the Dillon fumble) were fantastic

That Lazard drop was shades of James Jones in the Super Bowl. I almost passed out because I jumped up so fast when he caught the TD.

This team can do it.

I hope Dillon is gonna be ok.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think people are making too much out of the 3rd quarter of this game. Offensively we had two bad series in a row in the second half but my feeling is that the second series, the one with the 2 overthrows and the drop by Lazard were kind of a screw it lets see what we can do type series. First off all three of those bad plays, the overrthrows and the drop were plays that would likely be made 8 out of 10 times and had they been made we would not even be talking about how the Rams made it close. I also think if they had come out and played that second series like they had the previous series and the first half they would have run the ball down the Rams throats and scored and again we wouldn't be talking about how the Rams made it close.

Defensively we never had two bad series in a row. If they scored, which teams do on occasion, we shut them down the next series. The Rams never built momentum that we didn't stop on the next drive. The Rams never scored on consecutive drives which is something I think you have to do if you wan to claim you have gained the momentum. If you paid any attention to the shout box you would have thought the Rams were scoring on every play on every series. They didn't and IMO they never really did make it close.

There was a period of about 7 minutes following Akers TD and the Rams punt on their next possession that I started to feel just a little uncomfortable. That TD and the fact they stopped us on our next drive was as close as I came the entire game to thinking that it might not be as easy as we made it look so far. Not so much that I was worried but until our D made that stop it was a concern. After that punt I was pretty confident that we would pull it out.

People will look for things to complain about and today they had to look really hard to find something. They expect the offense to score on every drive and they expect the defense to keep the opposing team from scoring on every drive. That simply does not happen. No, it wasn't a 40 point blowout that everyone wanted. We may have left a few points on the field through a few mistakes and we may have let them get a few points that we feel they probably shouldn't have gotten but it was a good solid beat down of a very good football team. I never really felt like the Rams were in this game.

Some will say we can't play like that against so and so and expect to win but you know what? If the Packers play like they did today I really like our chances against anybody.

We were fortunate AR wasn't intercepted a couple of times tonight.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Broadcast said something like since week 13, Def gives up around 13.4 points per game. And if im off by a few 10ths of a point let it go..

Point is this Def has stepped up and I think it is all about Barnes and being the green helmet wearer

I fear Barnes might have to wear a club from here on out.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know why you guys took offense to it. It really isn't that outlandish of a statement. When his career is over Donald might very well go down as the best defensive player ever
not everything is about statistics.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not everything is about statistics.

No it isnt. And where did I imply it was?

Its not an outlandish claim. Donald really is that good. You can disagree and still say you think White and Taylor are better. Thats fine and fair. It still really isn't an outlandish statement to say Donald very well might be better

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No it isnt. And where did I imply it was?

Its not an outlandish claim. Donald really is that good. You can disagree and still say you think White and Taylor are better. Thats fine and fair. It still really isn't an outlandish statement to say Donald very well might be better
After having watched all 3 players play.... yeah it is “outlandish”. Neither of us can hope to change the other's mind, so as far as I’m concerned there’s not much else to say about it.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS had a great game. Way more effective on short passes than I can remember.
The oline was amazing. And this was without Bahk. Incredible really
Rodgers had 4 or 5 passes that he would want back - missed a td in the first drive, u derthrew devante so he only got 20 or so instead of 50, two terrible throws before halftime, and the mvs miss. But on a few of those he came back and made an incredible throw right after. There have been times he seems to let his emotions get the best of him but today he bounced back really well.
Our running is as good as I can remember with it's depth and creativity. If Jones leaves I will miss his burst and effort.
Tonyan wasn't just scoring tds today.
2019 draft keeps looking better and better with Gary, Savage and Jenkins.

D

Deleted member 6794

My grumbling with the 3rd Qtr is at times it seems habitual that the Packers can jump out to a great first half but just seem to unravel late in the 2nd Qtr and it bleeds over into the nasty 3rd Qtr when the D seems to get complacent and the offense out of sync, which gave life to a team the Packers were ready to blow out the building, it’s just a noticeable pattern that follows to many games, I agree with you that if the Packers can play a good as they did today and tweak a few things the Lombardi trophy will return home to GB

For the record, the Packers are ranked fourth in the league in points scored and eighth in scoring margin in the third quarter this season.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
whole team of studs last night, the Ol was magnificent, but I think Jenkins gets a super stud for the way he handled Donald, he was a non-factor all night.

obviously a couple of poor moments, AR overthrow to MVS, EQSB & Laz drops, poor long snap, but i think in the overall context of the game, just wee disappointments.

mini stud for me is that next weeks game, unless it gets changed, is at a suitable time for me

D

Deleted member 6794

mini stud for me is that next weeks game, unless it gets changed, is at a suitable time for me

It's guaranteed that the NFC Championship game starts at 3:05 pm ET next Sunday.

Don't complain about late games though, they start an hour later for me ;)

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's guaranteed that the NFC Championship game starts at 3:05 pm ET next Sunday.

Don't complain about late games though, they start an hour later for me ;)

I hate SNF & MNF games, and quite a few of our playoff games over the years seem to have been night games, so just happy that it looks to be not a big deal next week

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud... Pam Oliver for finding more to drink than me during the game.

edit... on a more serious note... this is the second game i’ve noticed that she didn’t seem ok... truly hope she does not have some kind of medical issue.
I noticed that about her last night, another game this year when I saw her too. But I remember it from a couple years ago as well with her on the sidelines. When I first noticed it, the puffiness and the face made me think medical. but they were all cold games too. so who knows.

D

Deleted member 6794

I hate SNF & MNF games, and quite a few of our playoff games over the years seem to have been night games, so just happy that it looks to be not a big deal next week

Yeah, I'm happy the NFCCG will be played early as well. I understand the Packers playing in a lot of night games is an indication that they feature a good team but it's getting tougher every year to deal with it on Mondays ;)

Members online

Latest posts