Stud n duds Rams

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's expecting perfection, i'm guilty of it. They were dominating this game. No ways around it. The Rams had some passes and a couple runs, but for the most part were held in check and the offense stopped themselves. The Rams D didn't do much to slow them down.

When the game got to within 7, it still could have easily been a 17 point game. It seems this team misses some pretty routine plays 4-5 times a game that prevent them from just stomping teams. The better the opponent the more those misses can hurt you. When they kill drives or result in 3 instead of 6 etc, this team has been mostly good enough to overcome, but it gets more difficult with each level.

I thought Rodgers was a little off last night, atleast by his standards. He was off target to MVS in the end zone on the first drive and he obviously missed a big one with MVS all alone. We get those plays back and the one to Lazard that was dropped and it easily could have been 49-18 Packers. Honestly I wasnt concerned about this Rams team, they had strengths but for the most part it was matched up against areas where we are also strong as a team. What I would be afraid of right now is a top flight Edge tandem matched up against Turner and Wagner.

I would say "its supposed to work", since we have all lived through some of the times that it didn't. I am more worried about our defense against teams that decide to go into hurry up mode. We saw that work successfully yesterday, as well as in some other games this season. Pettine needs to prepare them better for that.

Something I really liked yesterday and in previous games about the offense. MLF has stayed aggressive with a lead and not just tried to protect the ball, run the clock and totally make his defense win the game. That kind of offensive strategy is going to work much better with the "bend but don't break" defense.

Personally I'm not a fan of that style of defense, but you are basically playing the percentages. Avoid giving up the big plays and quick scores and force an offense to execute. Besides, sooner or later guys like Alexander, Savage, Amos, Clark of Z will make a play to force a punting situation.

I will say this much, our defense does look like a different and tougher unit when Gary is out there in lieu of Preston. Gary just looks like a juvenile King Kong out there, his pursuit angles aren't always right and he doesnt have the best edge discipline or read and react ability but his ability to just physically beat his man shows up whenever he's out there. Playing in limited time Gary had 1.5 sacks last night and basically blew up their offense on two drives.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Personally I'm not a fan of that style of defense, but you are basically playing the percentages. Avoid giving up the big plays and quick scores and force an offense to execute. Besides, sooner or later guys like Alexander, Savage, Amos, Clark of Z will make a play to force a punting situation.

I have never really liked that style of defense, unless you have an offense that can really back it up, which I believe we do. I also think if your defense can force a turnover here or there, you have an almost unbeatable team.

The 2 areas where I think we can really improve:
  1. Special Teams: This goes without saying. As many have pointed out, I can see a situation that special teams cost us a game. Besides Crosby, special teams will probably never win us again.
  2. Forcing Turnovers: Although the Packers are 7th in the NFL with a +7 in the turnover differential, that is because Rodgers and the offense have been awesome at not turning the ball over. Ranking 1st in the fewest turnovers (11), while ranking 26th in takeaways (18). I don't think this is just "luck" either, I think much of it is coached, especially creating fumbles.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
What plays in particular this game makes king the worse?
Lol you really made me go back and watch the game, and mind you I was in and out of paying attention because I was working but here are a few:

-2nd quarter 2:42 min to go, Akers up the gut, King could not shed a block by Van Jefferson, gain of 12
- 2nd quarter 1:15 to go, Akers runs left, King isn’t even looking at the ball- getting chippy with Van Jefferson, who was owning him every snap in the run game ; next snap it was a pass to Woods, thank god Goff didn’t see King blow coverage and leave 81 wide open in the end zone
- 3rd quarter 12 min to go, Akers run left, king goes to tackle...no one, next two plays he did have good press coverage on Woods though
-3rd quarter 7:29, playing about 10 yards off of Jefferson, easy 5 yard gain off of a terrible throw, next play Woods on a screen, he did OK but gave up the first
-3rd quarter 5;15 20ish yard pass to Jefferson against King in press coverage (you lose what happens in the TV version but looks like King was playing 5 yards off through the middle of the field)
- 3rd quarter 2:30, missed tackle on Akers he gets the first down
-Not going to put the two point conversion on him
-4th 13:20 asking is playing off Jefferson in press coverage and then misses the tackle - 8 yard gain, next play Woods pushes him off the ball within 5 and gets the first
-4th quarter 12:00 min to go Akers running left, King literally ran away from the play.
All the notes I had from the in/out of attention I was paying.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Zach Kruse really nailed some of these observations. Many of them are mentioned here, but I think a nice summary of the game. Glad to see he pointed out the good things Preston Smith did. Preston seems to have become the whipping boy in this forum. Is he overpaid? Yeah, but I don't think he is Nick Perry "bad/overpaid". He is an expensive luxury at this point.

Notes, observations from rewatching Packers’ playoff win over Rams (usatoday.com)

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Special Teams with issues snapping ball in a closer game those pts could had been a big factor.
I agree. The snapper got Crosby hurt as a result of that lousy snap. The rest of the team played well. However, Defense got soft on some drives and receiver drops are still haunting us.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never really liked that style of defense, unless you have an offense that can really back it up, which I believe we do. I also think if your defense can force a turnover here or there, you have an almost unbeatable team.

The 2 areas where I think we can really improve:
  1. Special Teams: This goes without saying. As many have pointed out, I can see a situation that special teams cost us a game. Besides Crosby, special teams will probably never win us again.
  2. Forcing Turnovers: Although the Packers are 7th in the NFL with a +7 in the turnover differential, that is because Rodgers and the offense have been awesome at not turning the ball over. Ranking 1st in the fewest turnovers (11), while ranking 26th in takeaways (18). I don't think this is just "luck" either, I think much of it is coached, especially creating fumbles.

Id be curious as to our per game rate of impact plays after Clarke, who was slowed by a groin injury, started playing at an impact level again.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zach Kruse really nailed some of these observations. Many of them are mentioned here, but I think a nice summary of the game. Glad to see he pointed out the good things Preston Smith did. Preston seems to have become the whipping boy in this forum. Is he overpaid? Yeah, but I don't think he is Nick Perry "bad/overpaid". He is an expensive luxury at this point.

Notes, observations from rewatching Packers’ playoff win over Rams (usatoday.com)

I think Preston is a good all around player, but personally i like Gary more at the position right now. Even if the defense has to play more vanilla with him out there, when hes not beating his man hes pushing him right back into the quarterbacks lap and i think that that extra disruption is worth the tradeoff.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think Preston is a good all around player, but personally i like Gary more at the position right now. Even if the defense has to play more vanilla with him out there, when hes not beating his man hes pushing him right back into the quarterbacks lap and i think that that extra disruption is worth the tradeoff.
At this point of the season, I have no problem giving up a touch of athleticism and zeal for Preston's veteran savvy. Let the kid in when you get to set the hounds loose.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were fortunate AR wasn't intercepted a couple of times tonight.

Also there was a potential lost fumble.

MVS had a good game, but based on his pattern the whole season, he'll go missing the next 2 games. Hope he breaks that pattern.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought Europeans get enough vacation time to take half the year off? Burn some on Mondays instead of all summer.
Worked for an Italian based company..

The ones here in Wisconsin that came over from italy followed their laws.

One guy for honeymoon?? Got 2 weeks just from Italian government on top of the 4 weeks company gave on top of his 4 weeks he had for vacation

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The reward a defensive coordinator gets for getting molly whopped in a playoff game? Get a head coaching gig. The Chargers have hired Staley as their next head coach.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
The Packers Oline gave up 0 sacks against a defense that has sacked the opposing QB 58 times (league high). The Packers Dline sacked the Rams 4 times against an Oline that has only given up 33 sacks all season (6th in the league). The game is won in the trenches and the Packers Oline and Dline cannot be under estimated in this game.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of people have seen this already, but the Rams had allowed one play all season of 50+ years, and then they allowed three of them on Saturday in one game.

Additionally, the Packers had 32 points on 9 drives, or 3.55 points per drive. That is actually significantly better than their season long average of 3.08, and 3.08 PPD on a season is the 3rd best all time.

This was against the Rams, who allowed a league low 1.47 points per drive.

And this was despite the fact that one of the 9 drives was the 29 second FG drive, where a lot of teams would have just kneeled and gone to half, and another was the clock killer to end it, where they didn't score on purpose. Take those out of the equation and you're talking about 4.14 points per drive.

I'm convinced people don't realize how special this team is.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of people have seen this already, but the Rams had allowed one play all season of 50+ years, and then they allowed three of them on Saturday in one game.

Additionally, the Packers had 32 points on 9 drives, or 3.55 points per drive. That is actually significantly better than their season long average of 3.08, and 3.08 PPD on a season is the 3rd best all time.

This was against the Rams, who allowed a league low 1.47 points per drive.

And this was despite the fact that one of the 9 drives was the 29 second FG drive, where a lot of teams would have just kneeled and gone to half, and another was the clock killer to end it, where they didn't score on purpose. Take those out of the equation and you're talking about 4.14 points per drive.

I'm convinced people don't realize how special this team is.
We’re on a good roll. Team is very confident. Perfect progression through this season. NOW is the time!

D

Deleted member 6794

Their is not a problem with the Packers scoring point stats, the issue is the consistent late 2nd and 3rd Qtr slides which could effect a games outcomes.

What you're actually saying is that despite the facts proving you wrong you don't care about it and rather trust your gut feeling.

I thought Europeans get enough vacation time to take half the year off? Burn some on Mondays instead of all summer.

Five weeks of vacation time. It's not half the year but better than what Americans are used to.