Stud n duds Rams

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I fear Barnes might have to wear a club from here on out.
He's the whipping boy? I don't know. I thought he played pretty well, even in the run game.
I just re watched him on dvr...

I dont think he had a great game but I would say a c+ maybe b

His guys did catch some in front of him..one play in particular one of his team mates (dont recall, maybe a line backer) picked him out of a play and he looked like he was beat horribly

running plays he was there..what i did notice was he goes to the run if its coming close to him and he doesnt try to avoid any contact.

Ramsey on other hand, avoids contact all the time it seems

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think people are making too much out of the 3rd quarter of this game. Offensively we had two bad series in a row in the second half but my feeling is that the second series, the one with the 2 overthrows and the drop by Lazard were kind of a screw it lets see what we can do type series. First off all three of those bad plays, the overrthrows and the drop were plays that would likely be made 8 out of 10 times and had they been made we would not even be talking about how the Rams made it close. I also think if they had come out and played that second series like they had the previous series and the first half they would have run the ball down the Rams throats and scored and again we wouldn't be talking about how the Rams made it close.

Defensively we never had two bad series in a row. If they scored, which teams do on occasion, we shut them down the next series. The Rams never built momentum that we didn't stop on the next drive. The Rams never scored on consecutive drives which is something I think you have to do if you wan to claim you have gained the momentum. If you paid any attention to the shout box you would have thought the Rams were scoring on every play on every series. They didn't and IMO they never really did make it close.

There was a period of about 7 minutes following Akers TD and the Rams punt on their next possession that I started to feel just a little uncomfortable. That TD and the fact they stopped us on our next drive was as close as I came the entire game to thinking that it might not be as easy as we made it look so far. Not so much that I was worried but until our D made that stop it was a concern. After that punt I was pretty confident that we would pull it out.

People will look for things to complain about and today they had to look really hard to find something. They expect the offense to score on every drive and they expect the defense to keep the opposing team from scoring on every drive. That simply does not happen. No, it wasn't a 40 point blowout that everyone wanted. We may have left a few points on the field through a few mistakes and we may have let them get a few points that we feel they probably shouldn't have gotten but it was a good solid beat down of a very good football team. I never really felt like the Rams were in this game.

Some will say we can't play like that against so and so and expect to win but you know what? If the Packers play like they did today I really like our chances against anybody.
It's expecting perfection, i'm guilty of it. They were dominating this game. No ways around it. The Rams had some passes and a couple runs, but for the most part were held in check and the offense stopped themselves. The Rams D didn't do much to slow them down.

When the game got to within 7, it still could have easily been a 17 point game. It seems this team misses some pretty routine plays 4-5 times a game that prevent them from just stomping teams. The better the opponent the more those misses can hurt you. When they kill drives or result in 3 instead of 6 etc, this team has been mostly good enough to overcome, but it gets more difficult with each level.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just re watched him on dvr...

I dont think he had a great game but I would say a c+ maybe b

His guys did catch some in front of him..one play in particular one of his team mates (dont recall, maybe a line backer) picked him out of a play and he looked like he was beat horribly

running plays he was there..what i did notice was he goes to the run if its coming close to him and he doesnt try to avoid any contact.

Ramsey on other hand, avoids contact all the time it seems
I think he regularly is in that c+ to B range, which for an NFL DB is good. To me anyway. If you have an absolute A+ on the other side, a B is pretty good on the other. I think we're seeing having decent ILB is what we're missing. When Barnes is able to get in, and he's not great, but he's at least solid, the defense looks so much better.

I don't know if they shift schematically or what, but even in game, there seems to be a noticeable difference when Barnes is in or not. King is what he is, and he's not bad.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think he regularly is in that c+ to B range, which for an NFL DB is good. To me anyway. If you have an absolute A+ on the other side, a B is pretty good on the other. I think we're seeing having decent ILB is what we're missing. When Barnes is able to get in, and he's not great, but he's at least solid, the defense looks so much better.

I don't know if they shift schematically or what, but even in game, there seems to be a noticeable difference when Barnes is in or not. King is what he is, and he's not bad.

From listening to people barnes has more football iq and can process the info faster..

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing a lot of post-game stuff from the commentariat about how the Packers defense is super frustrating to watch, but often looks really good in the final analysis. I feel that. There were times today when I was disgusted with the approach. And yet the final totals were really healthy.

I wonder if this is just the 2021 fan experience when it comes to defense, or if it's particularly unique to the way Pettine's defenses play.

Bend but don't break can be frustrating to watch but it does work.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Bend but don't break can be frustrating to watch but it does work.

I would say "its supposed to work", since we have all lived through some of the times that it didn't. I am more worried about our defense against teams that decide to go into hurry up mode. We saw that work successfully yesterday, as well as in some other games this season. Pettine needs to prepare them better for that.

Something I really liked yesterday and in previous games about the offense. MLF has stayed aggressive with a lead and not just tried to protect the ball, run the clock and totally make his defense win the game. That kind of offensive strategy is going to work much better with the "bend but don't break" defense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He's the whipping boy? I don't know. I thought he played pretty well, even in the run game.

I barely noticed King yesterday, which is usually a good sign.

I will say that Pettine needs to put a few "Alexander tackling highlights" up during the next class session for the Secondary. This guy just knows how to tackle. King, Sullivan, Savage and even Amos at times seem to just launch themselves too often, shoulder first at a ball carriers legs. Jaire on the other hand, squares up and wraps his arms around the guy.

Will be interesting to see what they do with Jaire and his upcoming 2nd contract. No doubt they will exercise the 5th year option on him this offseason, but will they sign him to a large mega deal at some point next year to bypass it?

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF system doesn't have different speeds honestly, sure a few big shots can be called but unlike a lot of other offensive schemes his system to the defense looks exactly the same if were pounding out minutes with our RBs, looking purely for short routes or big throws. It is one of the most intensely beautiful and efficient offenses to watch when clicking.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were fortunate AR wasn't intercepted a couple of times tonight.
I imagine you are talking about those two consecutive plays in the end zone at the end of the half. I think Aaron was kind of saying that he is not nearly as concerned about throwing a pick as he is about winning the game. There was was a lot more to win than to lose in those situations, so he just let it fly. imho

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't been able to listen to all post game interviews. Did anyone hint at Dillon or Barnes injuries at all??

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
For the record, the Packers are ranked fourth in the league in points scored and eighth in scoring margin in the third quarter this season.
Their is not a problem with the Packers scoring point stats, the issue is the consistent late 2nd and 3rd Qtr slides which could effect a games outcomes, the Rams had the #1 D,also with pts scored but in the end it was it was their inconsistency that did them in, their 6 seed proved that, with the Packers if they don’t put up 30+ points to keep the lead those 2 Qtrs IMOA, puts more pressure on the Offense, when the defense can’t make plays

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Haven't been able to listen to all post game interviews. Did anyone hint at Dillon or Barnes injuries at all??

I listened to a report after the game. Obviously Barnes came back into the game with a big club, so hoping whatever he did, won't keep him from playing. They think Dillon had a "quad injury", so who knows how long that will keep him out. They also mentioned that Jared Veldheer has shown symptoms of COVID, so that will prevent him from being eligible to play on Sunday.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I laughed a little, Donald obviously didn’t like being handled and came at him a little cheaply and Jenkins made him look like a little brother having a fit when he got under his shoulder pads. So Donald went to the face mask.

saw him throwing elbows at someone after a play later in the game too.
He was crying at the end of the game which was classic

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
They put 32 points on the best defense in football in a game where Rodgers missed what could have been a huge TD, the refs decided to just end an offensive drive on the Rams' behalf, and they ended up taking a knee to end the game while on the door step.

LaFleur and Hackett's plan was excellent. Rodgers was truly vintage in making plays when the 1st/2nd reads weren't there, and the offensive line was fantastic! There were several instances of the Rams disguising coverage well enough to make Rodgers hold it, and he just about always had time. Add to that, they were awesome in the running game. If I only had one game ball to give for today, it's them.

Pettine's game plan was pretty wretched, and he was allowing an injured Goff to carve him up in the cold. But he adjusted nicely. So I guess he gets a "st-dud."

Jalen Ramsey is soft. I do not remember the last time I saw a guy so eager to avoid contact. That's two 1st round picks and a 100M contract running around out there and he won't tackle. Yeesh.

Pass catchers not named Adams accounted for 14 catches for 230 yards and a score.

They will need to find a new ST Coordinator in the offseason.

I fully expect Super Bowl victory #5.
There isn't nearly enough praise for the plan on offense. LaFleur and his staff coached their ***** off.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There isn't nearly enough praise for the plan on offense. LaFleur and his staff coached their ***** off.

I think Packer fans have seen it, especially this season. I finally heard a ton of praise heaped on him yesterday by the media, some before the game, but more after. Always helps when you beat/outcoach your former Boss too.

Along with that Praise of MLF, I think Gute deserves quite a bit of credit too.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs -

Elgton Jenkins - frustrated the beast. Huge contributions on controlling a bonafide force.

Lazard - broke the game open when it was in the balance and made a great catch and adjustment as the throw was a little low. He dropped a killer, but made amends.

Jones - busted off a run and read really well, he is such a valuable tool and versatile

Williams - I think the plan was to include Dillon in the run game quite a bit, and when hurt, Williams came in and ran with confidence.

MVS - made a beautiful hand catch on a high ball that really helped the offense continue its momentum.

Gary and Clark - these two played their butts off and got really nice push when it counted.

Jaire Alexander - this guy is a specimen and fun to watch, he is perfecting his craft of showing what a complete corner in this league is. Huge part of this team's success

Adams - moving and shifting him around gave Ramsey fits, and you gotta love the swagger Devante has.

Tonyon - he was jacked for this game and it paid off, the little things he adds and his growth is exceptional.

Barnes - busted hand? wrap it up and get me back out there...serious player that is developing and will be short 1 paw for what is next but plays well in keeping contain and guessing correctly - huge upgrade from Martinez.

Duds: Special teams - in a close affair this could come and bite.

Aikman - Donald better than Reggie White? You sir, are on drugs..Reggie is by far the best defensive lineman in the history of the nfl. If you put Donald up against Reggie, Mr. White would've tossed him like a rag doll - brute force and strength wins over quickness and finesse. Jenkins nor any OL in the league could handle Reggie one on one, FACT.

All in all, HERE WE GO. I think this team is hungry and the sky is the limit with the talent and depth on both sides of the ball. They will be an extremely tough out if Pettine stays out of his zone idiocy. Bring on BRADY!!!

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Barnes has to continue with the club, it won't affect him as much as it did pass rushers like Clay and Nick Perry.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Barnes has to continue with the club, it won't affect him as much as it did pass rushers like Clay and Nick Perry.

You could be right, but I would lean the other way and say that it might effect his game more? Perry and Clay's primary job was to get in on the QB and disrupt/tackle him, I think that is easier to do with a club on your hand than what Barnes job is, tacking/covering RB's, TE's and WR's. Would have been a tough interception yesterday on that one play, but with a club on, almost impossible.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could be right, but I would lean the other way and say that it might effect his game more? Perry and Clay's primary job was to get in on the QB and disrupt/tackle him, I think that is easier to do with a club on your hand than what Barnes job is, tacking/covering RB's, TE's and WR's. Would have been a tough interception yesterday on that one play, but with a club on, almost impossible.
Agreed.... he had one play last night ... where he had an outside shot at an interception but with the club it was pretty much impossible.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O-line Players of the Game. Just dominated that Rams defensive line.

Duds are special teams once again.

Couldn't agree more. Against the #1 defense, there were No sacks and Aaron was barely touched. I did feel for Donald.

Everyone stepped up to the plate and helped this team win. I loved ML's play-calling. I was glad to see that they gave Lazard a second chance and he made the most of it.

Although you would not call the defense great, I thought they played well and did what they needed to do. It's so good to see them playing aggresively and not doing the old bend don't break scheme.

As far as ST. They didn't hurt us except for the messed up point after. At this point I think that's all you can ask for.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
All this talk about Aaron Donald got me thinking about Khalil Mack. He doesn't seem to be as big of a force as he once was, at least not in the few Bear games that I have watched this past year. Maybe things would have turned out different and he would have been the glue of the Packers defense, but Im glad we didn't give up what it would have taken to get him. Not to mention if we thought we were in cap hell now, he will be a
$26.646 M cap hit for the Bears in 2021. With $37.4M of dead cap still on the books.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm happy the NFCCG will be played early as well. I understand the Packers playing in a lot of night games is an indication that they feature a good team but it's getting tougher every year to deal with it on Mondays ;)
I thought Europeans get enough vacation time to take half the year off? Burn some on Mondays instead of all summer.

Members online

Latest posts