Slot Options- Who will take over?

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I seriously hope your right but i see a lack of PLAYMAKER'S and GAME CHANGERS on the offensive side.

Bulage has proven he can't play healthy.

Aaron Jones has also proven he cant stay healthy.

I don't like our depth at either of these spots.

After Adams our receiving corp is a bunch of 3's and 4's IMO. Nothing too get excited about. An injury to Adams would have this offense dead in the water.

I just think to spend over 100 million dollars on the defense in free agency on top of drafting defense high every year and relying on a bunch of late round draft picks and UDFA's on offense is INSANE. It goes against every rational approach to put top tier talent around your best player.

I will add that I do believe there are some players in the draft that can remedy some of the problems on offense and give us a shot. Well see if Gute can get those guys.
You seem to use staying healthy as your criteria for not being "crap". Aaron Rodgers has not been able to stay healthy of late either. Is Aaron crap like you claim Bulaga and Aaron Jones are? All 3 are very good players and even trying to imply they are "crap" is completely ridiculous and I think you know that.

I also don't agree with your opinion of the WR group. I do think at least one WR will be added in the draft, but I don't put high expectations on rookie WR's. I feel good about the WR's now and if a rookie is able to step in and make a impact this season then that would be icing on the cake.

I have full confidence in Gute running our draft and I know that high quality players will be added to a already high quality roster.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You seem to use staying healthy as your criteria for not being "crap". Aaron Rodgers has not been able to stay healthy of late either. Is Aaron crap like you claim Bulaga and Aaron Jones are? All 3 are very good players and even trying to imply they are "crap" is completely ridiculous and I think you know that.

I also don't agree with your opinion of the WR group. I do think at least one WR will be added in the draft, but I don't put high expectations on rookie WR's. I feel good about the WR's now and if a rookie is able to step in and make a impact this season then that would be icing on the cake.

I have full confidence in Gute running our draft and I know that high quality players will be added to a already high quality roster.

Part of being good or great is the capability of staying healthy. If a player can't stay healhty and can't play what value is is he to his team sitting on the bench?

Your optimism is great but the reality is the Packer offense is not set up for success over the course of a 16 game schedule. It will once again come down to JAG's trying to be playmakers and Rodgers trying to play at a all time elite level to compensate for lack of GAME CHANGERS.

They have failed to support Rodgers with the adequate talent around him and it will be painfully visable this coming season. Like it or not.

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Part of being good or great is the capability of staying healthy. If a player can't stay healhty and can't play what value is is he to his team sitting on the bench?

Your optimism is great but the reality is the Packer offense is not set up for success over the course of a 16 game schedule. It will once again come down to JAG's trying to be playmakers and Rodgers trying to play at a all time elite level to compensate for lack of GAME CHANGERS.

They have failed to support Rodgers with the adequate talent around him and it will be painfully visable this coming season. Like it or not.
Ok, so you just said Rodgers isn't "good or great" because he hasn't been able to stay healthy the last couple years. Bulaga, Aaron Jones, and Aaron Rodgers all are "crap". Cool story bruh.

Your opinions on the Packers mean nothing to me, as I'm sure mine mean nothing to you. We will see who is right about the roster. I have a feeling you will be eating a lot of crow this season.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS's and Adams' rookie seasons are nearly indistinguishable statistically.

If Adams had a very good rookie season, then MVS must have just had an excellent rookie season! Future looks bright!
To be fair, wasn't Adams our third wide receiver that entire season? MVS was called upon as our 2nd option for most of last season and we really saw him struggling for moments. I'm not sure whether MVS's season is as clear of an indicator that he will become a stud at WR as Adams's was

PS: Sorry for responding on older posts, I couldn't enter the website for some reason the last 5 days.

Reaction score
I liked what I saw at WR as far as believing 1-2 of the 3 we drafted could develop into a solid role behind Adams and may even give G Mo a run for his money by the last quarter of 2019.
Having one of the 2-3 top college Slot receiver options available through the draft would make me feel much better about our group as a whole. But what hurts is there will be some really good value there starting late round 2 early round 3. We don’t need to get jumpy if Parris gets picked before us because there are several guys I think will develop relatively quickly if the board doesn’t necessarily fall perfectly to us.
I’d actually rather see us ideally get a blue chip OT before WR. Our running game and passing game all improve with the best OT. We need to be thinking big picture. We could start them at OG and then sub them in year 1. We could come out looking mighty strong on O line to start day 1 If we shift personnel. Guys like Spriggs n McCray would be scrapping for a PT role. I still think Spriggs can play OG he’s a very strong man and he could add 15 pounds like Bak did and still be the quickest guy on that line.

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not sold on on offense. I don’t see a tru receiving threat outside of Adams. They need another guy to emerge as a variable threat so teams don’t put all the focus on Adams. I’ve said 100 times I’m all for giving up a third or going even as high as a 2nd to try to acquire AJ Green or TY Hilton.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its been "Crap" for basically two years now other then a spurt early in 2017 so i don't know how someone can be called clueless for calling it what it is.

Yes, we'll see what they do in the draft but i'm not holding my breath.

There are many reasons for not as good as normal offense the past couple years. Personally, I think it was bad game plans, coaching and injuries. And I think Gute has spent the money wisely. If he would have gorged on a w/o; it would have been a mistake.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked what I saw at WR as far as believing 1-2 of the 3 we drafted could develop into a solid role behind Adams and may even give G Mo a run for his money by the last quarter of 2019.
Having one of the 2-3 top college Slot receiver options available through the draft would make me feel much better about our group as a whole. But what hurts is there will be some really good value there starting late round 2 early round 3. We don’t need to get jumpy if Parris gets picked before us because there are several guys I think will develop relatively quickly if the board doesn’t necessarily fall perfectly to us.
I’d actually rather see us ideally get a blue chip OT before WR. Our running game and passing game all improve with the best OT. We need to be thinking big picture. We could start them at OG and then sub them in year 1. We could come out looking mighty strong on O line to start day 1 If we shift personnel. Guys like Spriggs n McCray would be scrapping for a PT role. I still think Spriggs can play OG he’s a very strong man and he could add 15 pounds like Bak did and still be the quickest guy on that line.
I would have agreed but then you talked about Spriggs. I think it wishful thinking that he will be worth a damn. But I guess with a new coach...maybe.

Reaction score
I would have agreed but then you talked about Spriggs. I think it wishful thinking that he will be worth a damn. But I guess with a new coach...maybe.
Like many OT coming declaring for the draft, they get projected at OG for a host of reasons at the next level. Spriggs was projected to be successful at OG and he added to that by being one of the top all around OL at the combine in speed and power. We traded several picks for Spriggs for a reason, but then we tried to force him at OT. Like you, I’m nearly done with that project. He’s still on the cheap contract wise and we should give him an opportunity to fight for a spot at OG.
We have everything to gain and little to lose, but wouldn’t it be an unfortunate situation if he never gets an opportunity to play at a high level even after trading multiple players away to acquire him. He’s extremely athletic for his size but it’s clear that he’s a square peg being forced into a round hole and that’s what we’re experiencing as spectators.

You don’t force a great Bass player to learn Lead Guitar. Rudy Sarzo would’ve been horrible playing the Crazy Train Lead. Let Randy Rhoads be Randy and let Rudy be Rudy.

Last edited:

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Like many OT coming declaring for the draft, they get projected at OG for a host of reasons at the next level. Spriggs was projected to be successful at OG and he added to that by being one of the top all around OL at the combine in speed and power. We traded several picks for Spriggs for a reason, but then we tried to force him at OT. Like you, I’m nearly done with that project. He’s still on the cheap contract wise and we should give him an opportunity to fight for a spot at OG.
We have everything to gain and little to lose, but wouldn’t it be an unfortunate situation if he never gets an opportunity to play at a high level even after trading multiple players away to acquire him. He’s extremely athletic for his size but it’s clear that he’s a square peg being forced into a round hole and that’s what we’re experiencing as spectators.

You don’t force a great Bass player to learn Lead Guitar. Rudy Sarzo would’ve been horrible playing the Crazy Train Lead. Let Randy Rhoads be Randy and let Rudy be Rudy.
Bob Daisley actually played bass on 'Crazy Train' on the 'Blizzard of Ozz' album, not Rudy Sarzo.

On the OG, OT thing. The Packers value versatile OL that can play multiple positions on the line. I loved the Billy Turner signing and the fact he can play anywhere on the OL except center makes him that much more valueable. I think he will win the starting RG spot this season, but I could also see him taking over for Bulaga at RT in 2020.

D

Deleted member 6794

Technically the Patriots top receivers were White (4th), Edelman, Gronk (2nd) and Gordon (originally supp draft 2nd, acquired for conditional 5th).

White and Gronk aren't receivers and Gordon wasn't available for the playoffs.

Davis being the botton of the group, but will have a chance of making the roster again if no kick/punt returner stands out in camp.

Hopefully the Packers will be able to find a returner offering value on either defense or offense as well so they can finally move on from Davis.

I just think to spend over 100 million dollars on the defense in free agency on top of drafting defense high every year and relying on a bunch of late round draft picks and UDFA's on offense is INSANE.

I fully expect the Packers to have a draft heavily featuring players on offense this year.

To be fair, wasn't Adams our third wide receiver that entire season? MVS was called upon as our 2nd option for most of last season and we really saw him struggling for moments. I'm not sure whether MVS's season is as clear of an indicator that he will become a stud at WR as Adams's was.

I don't expect MVS to develop into an elite receiver like Adams but his rookie season proved that he has the potential to become a productive player in the league.

I’ve said 100 times I’m all for giving up a third or going even as high as a 2nd to try to acquire AJ Green or TY Hilton.

The Packers don't have enough cap space to trade for either Green or Hilton.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something out of left field.....

....Ty Montgomery for near minimum if still available post a draft that doesn't see us fill slot... ?

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hollywood Brown would be ideal if he falls to us at 30. He is a tireless worker and would be able to help this season. As a Sooner fan, I am being a bit of a homer but the fact is the kid can flat out play. He is the definition of

Of the existing guys, I like Kumerow. He doesn't exactly look like the prototypical slot guy but he is crafty and would prove a tough cover on the inside. I know he doesn't have a long track record of success but he just seems to have a little something something. He has a knack for getting open and clearly has the trust of 12 which goes a long way. I am really looking forward to what Jake can do with a full OS under his belt and a head full of confidence.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not sold on on offense. I don’t see a tru receiving threat outside of Adams. They need another guy to emerge as a variable threat so teams don’t put all the focus on Adams. I’ve said 100 times I’m all for giving up a third or going even as high as a 2nd to try to acquire AJ Green or TY Hilton.

I have always been a fan of AJ and for as much praise and love he gets, part of me thinks he is still a bit underrated because he has had Dalton his whole career. I would not be surprised to see him move this year as soon as it is clear the Bengals aren't going to be winners again. But I also wouldn't be too surprised to see him pull a Fitz and be dedicated to the team that drafted him. Seems to be the kind of guy he is.

As we are throwing out surprises, I ALSO won't be surprised if he ends up on the Patriots somehow. I don't think the Packers have the room to afford his contract though, nor does he play slot to make him a viable option.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hollywood Brown would be ideal if he falls to us at 30. He is a tireless worker and would be able to help this season. As a Sooner fan, I am being a bit of a homer but the fact is the kid can flat out play. He is the definition of

Of the existing guys, I like Kumerow. He doesn't exactly look like the prototypical slot guy but he is crafty and would prove a tough cover on the inside. I know he doesn't have a long track record of success but he just seems to have a little something something. He has a knack for getting open and clearly has the trust of 12 which goes a long way. I am really looking forward to what Jake can do with a full OS under his belt and a head full of confidence.

Jake didn't line up there much but I have said I sense he and EQ of the guys on the roster now seem to fit the role possibly the best. Kumerow is driven like few are, and that alone is needed across the slot GRIT.

EQ I think while size seems large for a slot guy has the breaks to make it work....i still hope we get a true slot in draft, but also look for one of these two to line up there more and more.

D

Deleted member 6794

Something out of left field.....

....Ty Montgomery for near minimum if still available post a draft that doesn't see us fill slot... ?

Montgomery hasn't lined up in the slot a lot either. The Packers should definitely pass on him after he wasn't able to follow instructions which led to his release.

That increases the "Bring former Packers back" counter to five :rolleyes:

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score

definition of?

I think both Brown's come into play for the Packers at #30. That being said, I think I'd rather draft the best remaining receiving weapon at #44 if guys like Risner and Lindstrom are still on the board late in the first.

Technically White and Gronk are indeed receivers. But they are not wide receivers.
Hahaha, come on Captain, surely you can appreciate some nitpicking given that you are the best of the bunch in it on the forum?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...I’d actually rather see us ideally get a blue chip OT before WR. Our running game and passing game all improve with the best OT. We need to be thinking big picture. We could start them at OG and then sub them in year 1. We could come out looking mighty strong on O line to start day 1 If we shift personnel. Guys like Spriggs n McCray would be scrapping for a PT role. I still think Spriggs can play OG he’s a very strong man and he could add 15 pounds like Bak did and still be the quickest guy on that line.
Spriggs gained 20+ lbs last offseason and is over 320 lbs. His problem is staying healthy and on the field. Don't disagree that a high pick should be for an OT capable of either LT or RT and immediately servicable at OG.

IF a day 2 WR is taken I REALLY hope it's a guy who can return punts and play 20 snaps/game in the slot.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like what I have been reading about AJ Brown. A little big for the slot (but not much) and quick. Assuming we draft an OT first; then taking him with the 2nd pick would not be bad. Otherwise we need to go OT with the 2nd pick. Don't know if he will last to the 2nd round pick. jmo I would like to see Kumrow keep catching the ball and getting open. If he can unnerve the defenders from the slot position; ?? Am a bit afraid of the Oklahoma kid's size.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montgomery hasn't lined up in the slot a lot either. The Packers should definitely pass on him after he wasn't able to follow instructions which led to his release.

That increases the "Bring former Packers back" counter to five :rolleyes:

To be honest the post was more troll than true thought...you smelled it out! LOL

Members online

Latest posts