Slot Options- Who will take over?

D

Deleted member 6794

Spriggs gained 20+ lbs last offseason and is over 320 lbs. His problem is staying healthy and on the field. Don't disagree that a high pick should be for an OT capable of either LT or RT and immediately servicable at OG.

Spriggs problem has been that he hasn't performed up to expectations by any means.

I’m still hoping for a FA and was sorry to not get Beasley. I’ve seen EQSB mentioned but think he’s too tall, and therefore too valuable, to put in the slot. I’d rather have him on the perimeter. Then again, maybe that creates a nice mismatch on the inside. And with Allison and MVS playing well, they could afford to move EQSB to the slot, selectively.

The Packers need to add a slot receiver this offseason. With the team having limited cap space the draft is the way to go.

OT, WR, RB.
Then hit the Defense hard day 2-3

I'm absolutely fine with the Packers drafting offense early this year but don't feel the need to add a running back over the first two days.

The article touched on LaFleur having plenty of 2 back sets in his system so maybe a playmaking back trumps WR.

I highly doubt LaFleur will use as many two back sets in Green Bay with Rodgers being the starting quarterback.

Even though it didn't go so well with Kevin King, I do love that #33 pick if the Packers can get it again. Gives the Packer staff a ton of time "on the clock" to really go over everyone available before making that pick or trading back again.

In my opinion having the 32nd pick is significanty better as it allows teams to use the fifth year option in case a player performs up to or exceeds expectations.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs plays at an acceptable to pretty decent level 90% of the time. It's those other ones he looks like he doesn't even belong on a practice squad let alone on an NFL field that are the problem. When he gets beat, it's badly. To me he either doesn't trust his feet, so he's predetermining a lot of his set ups. And when he guess right, he looks just fine. Or maybe he has good reason not to trust him and they just aren't that good. Before I thought it was because of his lack of strength he had to overcommit to getting position at the snap and that would leave him vulnerable to someone quick coming back inside with a straight shot to the QB.

But he gained a bunch of weight, strength doesn't seem to be the issue. larry said he had great feet, but maybe they're only great when he guesses right on where to be and aren't good enough to feel a player out and go where he needs to be. Or maybe he's just slow in putting it all together? in the end it's still the same. He's vulnerable more than a handful of plays where they set him up one way and go back inside with a straight line to the QB, and that's bad.

so he's probably too slow to play in the slot

Last edited:

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs problem has been that he hasn't performed up to expectations by any means.

The Packers need to add a slot receiver this offseason. With the team having limited cap space the draft is the way to go.

I'm absolutely fine with the Packers drafting offense early this year but don't feel the need to add a running back over the first two days.

I highly doubt LaFleur will use as many two back sets in Green Bay with Rodgers being the starting quarterback.

In my opinion having the 32nd pick is significanty better as it allows teams to use the fifth year option in case a player performs up to or exceeds expectations.
I understand that LaFleur will be willing to change his system to fit his personnel but his lineage suggests he’ll pound the rock and let Rodgers create magic thru play action. He’s historically been part of teams that employed zone schemes with 2 back sets at a higher percentage than the rest of the league. LaFleur needs to establish the run and use our backs in creative ways to take pressure off Rodgers.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with you on Ed Oliver. I think he is the closest thing to Aaron Donald in this draft. Devin White, I have only seen play like 3 games, so I can't give a educated opinion on him. Pettine uses a DB a lot in place of one of the ILB's so many times Martinez is the lone ILB on the field. I am hoping that Oren Burks takes a jump up in his 2nd season and makes a great impact at ILB next to Blake. I think the 2nd season in Pettine's D will be a positive for a lot of these guys.

You're new here aren't you? :D:D

Interesting choices. Who do you take at #12? Not many people would touch any of those players with a top 15 pick.

You are entitled to your opinion though.

I guess I have my answer to my first question. ;);)

Just kidding man. Welcome to the group. Looks like you will add some valuable discussion.

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You're new here aren't you? :D:D

I guess I have my answer to my first question. ;);)

Just kidding man. Welcome to the group. Looks like you will add some valuable discussion.
Thanks for the welcome:tup:

I didn't know I had to add value though. I hate expectations:eek::D

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You should have capitalized “is” for effect.

Look at all that ****ing value I just added!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome:tup:

I didn't know I had to add value though. I hate expectations:eek::D

At first glance that might seem like a lot of pressure put on you, but look around, value added can just be in the form of entertaining the rest of us with really crazy ideas.

Reaction score
At first glance that might seem like a lot of pressure put on you, but look around, value added can just be in the form of entertaining the rest of us with really crazy ideas.
You just leave that up to me.
I heard Spriggs beat Richard Rodgers times on most agility drills. Wouldn’t he be hard to take down after the catch! :roflmao:

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You just leave that up to me.
I heard Spriggs beat Richard Rodgers times on most agility drills. Wouldn’t he be hard to take down after the catch! :roflmao:
now you may be saying that with tongue in cheek, but why not. some of these big guys, or even a Clay in his prime would have been hard to stop while being a ball carrier, I'm more surprised that there's not a few more of those kinds of trick plays used by some teams

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
now you may be saying that with tongue in cheek, but why not. some of these big guys, or even a Clay in his prime would have been hard to stop while being a ball carrier, I'm more surprised that there's not a few more of those kinds of trick plays used by some teams
because they don't carry the ball often. I wonder what the fumble rate is for a lineman carrying the ball is? anyway, your RB's and even some WR's are so much better at both running and ball security i wouldn't take much time out of practice for trick plays either. There's a reason big lineman are lineman

D

Deleted member 6794

Spriggs plays at an acceptable to pretty decent level 90% of the time. It's those other ones he looks like he doesn't even belong on a practice squad let alone on an NFL field that are the problem. When he gets beat, it's badly.

Unfortunately those bad plays result in the Packers not trusting him to protect Rodgers.

I understand that LaFleur will be willing to change his system to fit his personnel but his lineage suggests he’ll pound the rock and let Rodgers create magic thru play action. He’s historically been part of teams that employed zone schemes with 2 back sets at a higher percentage than the rest of the league. LaFleur needs to establish the run and use our backs in creative ways to take pressure off Rodgers.

You have to realize that LaFleur never had a chance to work with a talented quarterback like Rodgers though. I fully expect the offense to be centered around #12 once again.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the value scale in here is relative to the rest of us though. We set a low bar, you'll be fine

In fact, Mondio here is the low bar.

there ain't no bar low enough that someone can't get under it.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

but I prefer this one

Although if i had my choice I'd take this one

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still extremely undecided upon at what round I'd start considering him personally (DEFINITELY NOT 1st OR 2nd)....but Hunter Renfrow, between his grit, his amazing hands and size makes me think he could very well come out and swing at the slot spot and hit. Haven't seen him discussed much but arguably if he is there in the 4th and we draft him I'm not gonna be shocked.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm still extremely undecided upon at what round I'd start considering him personally (DEFINITELY NOT 1st OR 2nd)....but Hunter Renfrow, between his grit, his amazing hands and size makes me think he could very well come out and swing at the slot spot and hit. Haven't seen him discussed much but arguably if he is there in the 4th and we draft him I'm not gonna be shocked.

Hunter is one of those guys that you look at and say "nahhhhh, no way, isn't big enough and is too slow to make it in the NFL". Then you watch him on tape and also notice that he had 17 catches, 180 yards and 4 touchdowns in two title games against Alabama and you start to believe he could be pretty good. All that said, if the Packers haven't drafted a slot guy by the 4th round, I would be on board with getting him as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hunter is one of those guys that you look at and say "nahhhhh, no way, isn't big enough and is too slow to make it in the NFL". Then you watch him on tape and also notice that he had 17 catches, 180 yards and 4 touchdowns in two title games against Alabama and you start to believe he could be pretty good. All that said, if the Packers haven't drafted a slot guy by the 4th round, I would be on board with getting him as well.

Couldn't have described him better.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I thought it would be fun to revisit this thread since this seems to be what’s happening and I’m not right often so I’m going to gloat when I can

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To continue with this, I could see Jones splitting out and playing from the slot a bit.

Could even have him, and Dillon in the same formation. Just run the dang jet sweeps with Jones, like they did with Ervin.

I expect we'll see a lot of 2 WR sets, not a lot of 3. Deguara and Sterny will be on the field, a lot.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to revisit this thread since this seems to be what’s happening and I’m not right often so I’m going to gloat when I can

While we are tooting our own horns :whistling: I noticed my post above yours about Hunter Renfrow and how the Packers should grab him if he is still around in the 4th. Well the Raiders got him one pick ahead of the Packers (Kingsley Keke) in the 5th and despite missing 4 games with a broke rib and punctured lung, Hunter had a pretty decent year for a 5th round rookie (49 catches, 605 yds and 4 TD's).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While we are tooting our own horns :whistling: I noticed my post above yours about Hunter Renfrow and how the Packers should grab him if he is still around in the 4th. Well the Raiders got him one pick ahead of the Packers (Kingsley Keke) in the 5th and despite missing 4 games with a broke rib and punctured lung, Hunter had a pretty decent year for a 5th round rookie (49 catches, 605 yds and 4 TD's).

Oh my word yes! I remember a few of us pulling some serious heat for our desire to grab Renfrow if there Day 3. Dude just is a football player, plain and simple.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oh my word yes! I remember a few of us pulling some serious heat for our desire to grab Renfrow if there Day 3. Dude just is a football player, plain and simple.

Yup and had he been in this last super deep WR draft, he would have been available in the 7th round and Gute still would have passed on him. :roflmao:

Speaking of 4th rounders. Gute traded away both of his 4th rounders to move up to get Savage last year and his only 4th rounder this year to get Love. Is there a pattern? Maybe he remember his first draft and picking J'Mon Moore in the 4th?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup and had he been in this last super deep WR draft, he would have been available in the 7th round and Gute still would have passed on him. :roflmao:

Honestly the type of guy Renfrow is I argue is similar to why I love Deguara. Does his job, every attribute of it...albeit without flash.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts