Slot Options- Who will take over?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I thought this was a good breakdown of current options on the team, as to who might assume the slot position at WR. Obviously, the Packers could try and draft a guy to take it over, but I just wouldn't have a lot of confidence in a rookie.

After going through the article and all the options, I can see EQ taking over the spot. I actually liked the idea of Adams, but just think he is way too valuable outside.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-post-randall-cobb-slot-options-301

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
From the players we currently have?

EQSB.

Considering where the cap is and how long a WR takes to get into a groove, I think our starter at slot will come from the current group.

Maybe a guy like Marquis Brown could contribute as a rookie and due to his Lisfranc injury might be available with the 30th pick, but because of that injury and just the rawness of a rookie, I doubt he would be ready this season.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't understand the graham thing (from that article). why have him go against nickel-corners, from the slot, when he could be going against linebackers from TE? if slow, lumbering, jason whiten can be a first down machine why can't a faster, more athletic, graham?

Caya

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought this was a good breakdown of current options on the team, as to who might assume the slot position at WR. Obviously, the Packers could try and draft a guy to take it over, but I just wouldn't have a lot of confidence in a rookie.

After going through the article and all the options, I can see EQ taking over the spot. I actually liked the idea of Adams, but just think he is way too valuable outside.

I would be fine with a few rookies. Hunter Renfrow is one. Also, Andy Isabella

D

Deleted member 6794

i don't understand the graham thing (from that article). why have him go against nickel-corners, from the slot, when he could be going against linebackers from TE? if slow, lumbering, jason whiten can be a first down machine why can't a faster, more athletic, graham?

Actually Graham lined up more often as a slot receiver than at tight end last season.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is either Eq or Kumerow will become the guy. Kumerow has looked good there with what limited opportunity he had last year. Maybe one of the young guys blossoms into the role... Kupp was a large slot WR for LaFleur in LA so we may not necessarily need the small, shifty type WR to fill this role.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is either Eq or Kumerow will become the guy. Kumerow has looked good there with what limited opportunity he had last year. Maybe one of the young guys blossoms into the role... Kupp was a large slot WR for LaFleur in LA so we may not necessarily need the small, shifty type WR to fill this role.

The more I read about Kumerow, the more it seems that he may be the guy. I believe about a month ago, Rodgers sang his praises. Running all the routes, contested catches, holding on to the ball.

Regardless of his position on the field, it doesn't seem like Rodgers gives out high praise out to the media everyday. I expect Kumerow to have a little break through season.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think we will find out during the draft just how comfortable the Packers are with their current WR group. Given that they didn't seem to be pursing any, that we heard about, in Free Agency and they let Cobb walk for $5M, I am guessing they feel pretty good about the position.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we will find out during the draft just how comfortable the Packers are with their current WR group. Given that they didn't seem to be pursing any, that we heard about, in Free Agency and they let Cobb walk for $5M, I am guessing they feel pretty good about the position.
or they don't and are going to draft one at 12. saw a mock yesterday that got them taking d.k. metcalf.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or they don't and are going to draft one at 12. saw a mock yesterday that got them taking d.k. metcalf.

The dude can only do two things...well three...run fast, jump and work out. His route tree is literally a vertical from everyone I've read and is expected to merely be a jump ball guy. He wasn't even his college's best reciever but his freak nature body and measurables have people ooogling about him.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The dude can only do two things...well three...run fast, jump and work out. His route tree is literally a vertical from everyone I've read and is expected to merely be a jump ball guy. He wasn't even his college's best reciever but his freak nature body and measurables have people ooogling about him.
i'm just showing a mock that had us taking a wr. i'm not advocating him. don't know anything about him. supposedly he's the #1 wr in many mocks.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His 40 was legit for DK, but he did a 7.3 something 3 cone. Leading many to think he won't be more than a deep ball guy.

Isabella still ran a 4.31 (i think) and his 3 cone was 6.95. Apparently, he's 5'9" tiny and has issues with false starts though.

Deebo Samuel would be my selection if we draft someone... 5'11" 215, ran a 4.48, his 3 cone was 7.03.

To put it this way, the 3 cone drill for Edelman was 6.62, he ran a 4.52 40. I think the 3 cone is a better measurement of these shifty guys.

Randall Cobb ran a 7.08 3 cone.

Jake Kumerow ran a 6.9 3-cone. he's 6'5".

Cooper Kupp ran a 6.75... wow for 6'2".

Geronimo Allison ran a 7.40 3-cone, lol. No way he'll be our slot receiver.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
His 40 was legit for DK, but he did a 7.3 something 3 cone. Leading many to think he won't be more than a deep ball guy.

Isabella still ran a 4.31 (i think) and his 3 cone was 6.95. Apparently, he's 5'9" tiny and has issues with false starts though.

Deebo Samuel would be my selection if we draft someone... 5'11" 215, ran a 4.48, his 3 cone was 7.03.

To put it this way, the 3 cone drill for Edelman was 6.62, he ran a 4.52 40. I think the 3 cone is a better measurement of these shifty guys.

Randall Cobb ran a 7.08 3 cone.

Jake Kumerow ran a 6.9 3-cone. he's 6'5".

Cooper Kupp ran a 6.75... wow for 6'2".

Geronimo Allison ran a 7.40 3-cone, lol. No way he'll be our slot receiver.

Not sure how Parris Campbell isn't among those names. He is more talented then all those guys.

He didn't need to run the 3 cone.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure how Parris Campbell isn't among those names. He is more talented then all those guys.

He didn't need to run the 3 cone.

You're right, Parris would be a good option too. He was omitted as I was searching for fastest 3 cone time, and he didn't run it.... Not sure why. He did have the fastest short shuttle. I'd have to look into the relevance of that... Also had a 4.31 40.

I think he's projected to go late first or early 2nd.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You know, I never really gave the idea much thought that one of them could move into the position. Probably because no one else really brought it up. I still think WR is a need but if they think someone can step into the role it opens up the options. They don't have to focus on the slot position.

D

Deleted member 6794

My guess is either Eq or Kumerow will become the guy. Kumerow has looked good there with what limited opportunity he had last year. Maybe one of the young guys blossoms into the role...

Kumerow didn't have a single target while lined up in the slot last season.

wouldn't surprise me. it makes no sense.

Actually Graham lined up in the slot more often than at tight end while with the Saints as well.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You're right, Parris would be a good option too. He was omitted as I was searching for fastest 3 cone time, and he didn't run it.... Not sure why. He did have the fastest short shuttle. I'd have to look into the relevance of that... Also had a 4.31 40.

I think he's projected to go late first or early 2nd.

He didn't need to run the 3 cone so he chose not too. He posted 4.31 with the best shuttle time and has tons of tape BLOWING BY top end competition.

What is so amazing about Parris is you see his speed on tape. He is one of a very elite few that translates his speed and quickness on field at such a BLAZING LEVEL.

Members online

Latest posts