Slot Options- Who will take over?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he slides that far I would not be against the pick. I think Hollywood Brown could do damage in the slot or at times play outside. My only concern on him is he is a bit frail. I worry about injuries with him. He is injured right now. I don't see him ever being a lot bigger and if he does try to add bulk it could take away from his best traits.

My dream first 3 picks for the Pack:

#12 Josh Allen

#30 T.J. Hockenson

#44 Ed Oliver

Not happening, so moving on...

My more realistic(Actually may happen) Top 3 picks for the Pack. I would be nearly as happy with these 3 as my dream 3:

#12 T.J. Hockenson

#30 Brian Burns

#44 Juan Thornhill

I am quite concerned about Jax at #7, Detroit at #8 or Denver at #10 taking Hock. I would do cartwheels if he falls to us at 12. Brian Burns, it is also going to take some luck to get him at #30, but it's possible. Juan Thornhill can be a elite FS in the NFL. Elite cover skills. He is the guy we have been dreaming about to play center-field. Pairing him with Amos would give us one of the best safety combos in the league.

I’d grab Hockenson in a New York minute if he’s there at #12. Asssuming he’s not, who do you take? Too early for Fant? Probably. Better value at Edge. And Irv Smith Jr, the 3rd best TE in the draft, may be there in round two. Not ideal. Like the Thornhill pick in round 2. Would solve a lot of problems in the secondary. Not crazy about moving Jackson to S. They need a real solution there with a real S.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amos is a FS but can play SS. Paying him that kind of money indicates they expect him to play free. Clark will be 5th. year optioned or signed. As for the rest, two drafts and a year of player development lie ahead before 2020.

Filling those positions with average players is not going to get it done. Gutekunst needs to get some impact players out of this draft and the next.
Agree with your last statement. Need a minimum of one impact player from the #12 pick. Maybe get lucky at #30 with a guy like Fant. I didn’t know Amos played mostly at FS, I thought he was a box guy. That’s good to know, cause they need a center fielder. Looks like they got him. Still need a S with one of their first three picks, probably round 2.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love Ed Oliver.

Devin Bush > Devin White
Hey Janis, do you take Oliver over White if they’re both there at #12? Tough call, well, at least for me it would be. Seems like forever since the Pack has had a real LB, inside or out. CMIII was great, until he wasn’t.......

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Janis, do you take Oliver over White if they’re both there at #12? Tough call, well, at least for me it would be. Seems like forever since the Pack has had a real LB, inside or out. CMIII was great, until he wasn’t.......

My take is you cover the position that you don't have a true starter with first (as in take White or Bush). We have starters along the D-line and may add Mo there too.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My take is you cover the position that you don't have a true starter with first (as in take White or Bush). We have starters along the D-line and may add Mo there too.
Agreed. The DL pick would be a luxury (Oliver) but the greater need is to put an impact player next to Martinez (White or Bush). Thanks for the reply.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought this was a good breakdown of current options on the team, as to who might assume the slot position at WR. Obviously, the Packers could try and draft a guy to take it over, but I just wouldn't have a lot of confidence in a rookie.

After going through the article and all the options, I can see EQ taking over the spot. I actually liked the idea of Adams, but just think he is way too valuable outside.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-post-randall-cobb-slot-options-301
I’m still hoping for a FA and was sorry to not get Beasley. I’ve seen EQSB mentioned but think he’s too tall, and therefore too valuable, to put in the slot. I’d rather have him on the perimeter. Then again, maybe that creates a nice mismatch on the inside. And with Allison and MVS playing well, they could afford to move EQSB to the slot, selectively.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Easily Oliver.

For one, I think Devin Bush is better than White. I'd still take Oliver over Bush though.

A pass rushing iDL is immensely important. Look at the top LB's in the league. They obviously matter, but their impact on leading teams to wins is limited. Draft guys who can get to the QB.

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’d grab Hockenson in a New York minute if he’s there at #12. Asssuming he’s not, who do you take? Too early for Fant? Probably. Better value at Edge. And Irv Smith Jr, the 3rd best TE in the draft, may be there in round two. Not ideal. Like the Thornhill pick in round 2. Would solve a lot of problems in the secondary. Not crazy about moving Jackson to S. They need a real solution there with a real S.
I don't like Fant even close to as much as I like Hockenson. Fant would be a colossal reach at 12. I probably wouldn't even take him at 30. He doesn't come down with contested catches a lot. In college he was able to get seperation, but in the pros he will have defenders all over him and he has too many drops when contested. Fant also is a horrible blocker. I am just not real high on him at all. If Hock isn't available at #12 I go for Ed Oliver. If Oliver is gone then I go D.K. Metcalf at #12.

And yes, I love Thornhill. True FS and a great center-fielder. He is so good you could play him at CB and feel good about it.(Was a CB at one time) He would be a joy to have at FS after what we have been through the last couple years at FS. I can already picture he and Amos playing together and it would be perhaps the best safety tandem in the league quite quickly.

Reaction score
However, the real question is how we got on the topic of Spriggs in a slot receiver thread. ;)
That was in response to picking at WR day 1, if you note the part you didn’t quote. I’d rather go OT. We have guys that are athletic enough to convert but we can’t afford to draft a receiver if an equally great OT is there.
I do appreciate the video though that was pretty darn intriguing. Thank You, good research. If we don’t get the top Slot guy there is some pretty talented guys likely all the way into round 3-4. I’m keeping my eye on Terry McLaurin, he’s a very solid product behind Campbell at OSU.

BTW. I did some research of my own about a year ago and the average height at OG in the NFL is a smidge from 6’5”. I remember it being like 6’4.75 so let’s just call it what it is.. 6’5”

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I pray his size allows him to fall to us. The kid is absolutely electric with the ball in his hands and as tough as they come. He played through an injury last season that would've caused many-a-guy to sit. He could certainly stand to add a few more LB's but that wouldn't influence my taking him one bit. The kid isn't much smaller than his cousin, Antonio, and is a straight up playmaker deluxe. The kid produced like AB while at OU without all the crap 84 brings with him...

Drafting a 168 pound receiver in the 1st round is how GM's get FIRED!

Reaction score
Agree with your last statement. Need a minimum of one impact player from the #12 pick. Maybe get lucky at #30 with a guy like Fant. I didn’t know Amos played mostly at FS, I thought he was a box guy. That’s good to know, cause they need a center fielder. Looks like they got him. Still need a S with one of their first three picks, probably round 2.
We don’t need luck. We need to be wheeling and dealing. If we put our mind to it there’s a very good chance we can have 2 players inside the top #20 overall using #12 and #30. The most we would give up is a mid rounder. There’s a wealth of day 1 starter potential type talent between 15-#20 overall.

We can still trade up a bit with #44 or #75 also. That’s an area it’s not nearly as costly if someone slips a round (#45 to #65) a half round (#25 to #35) or so on our focus board.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We don’t need luck. We need to be wheeling and dealing. If we put our mind to it there’s a 75% chance we can have 2 players inside the top #20 overall using #12 and #30. The most we would give up is a mid rounder.

Yes, some wheeling and dealing needs to be done but the right players need to he targeted. This passive approach of just letting guys fall to us has to stop.

They need to go after and manipulate the board to get the RIGHT GUYS. They have the firepower to make it work.

Reaction score
Yes, some wheeling and dealing needs to be done but the right players need to he targeted. This passive approach of just letting guys fall to us has to stop.

They need to go after and manipulate the board to get the RIGHT GUYS. They have the firepower to make it work.
The player we value around mid 20’s slipping several picks into round 2 would be a good place to be aggressive. Let’s get back in front of those Lions round 2.
I’m not opposed to trading back to 15-17 range, then packaging those resources with #44 to pick inside the top #32 a third time.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
OT, WR, RB.
Then hit the Defense hard day 2-3

That scenario would be a breath of fresh air as the Packers are three years late already re-loading this offense.

OL Chris Lindstrom
WR Parris Campbell
RB Justce Hill

Not neccessarrily in that order. Would have me smiling

Reaction score
That scenario would be a breath of fresh air as the Packers are three years late already re-loading this offense.

OL Chris Lindstrom
WR Parris Campbell
RB Justce Hill

That’s a very doable deal actually.
Then Id trade into the 4th a third time and go
#75 Safety
#114 DT
#118 ILB
#125 OG
(Again, not necessarily that order)

Then finish
CB
K etc..

Last edited:

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

OL Chris Lindstrom
WR Parris Campbell
RB Justce Hill

Interesting choices. Who do you take at #12? Not many people would touch any of those players with a top 15 pick.

You are entitled to your opinion though.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Drafting a 168 pound receiver in the 1st round is how GM's get FIRED!

I think you are referring to the discussion about A.J. Brown? If you are, I see him listed at 226 lbs at the combine?

Not to **** you off, but I would take him at 30 over Pariss. I think Brown is the better receiver of the 2 in that he will catch more contested balls and while he isn't quite as fast as Campbell, he is a better route runner. My biggest "knock" on Campbell is that a lot of his yards came with uncontested catches and after the catch. While YAC is awesome, I'm not 100% sure he will be able to duplicate that in the NFL against much better and faster players.

Now if Brown is off the board and Pariss is available at #45, I'm in.

Edit: Just realized you may be referring to Marquise Brown and not A.J. Brown. If that was the case.....my apologies. Definitely 2 different WR's!

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are referring to the discussion about A.J. Brown? If you are, I see him listed at 226 lbs at the combine?

Not to **** you off, but I would take him at 30 over Pariss. I think Brown is the better receiver of the 2 in that he will catch more contested balls and while he isn't quite as fast as Campbell, he is a better route runner. My biggest "knock" on Campbell is that a lot of his yards came with uncontested catches and after the catch. While YAC is awesome, I'm not 100% sure he will be able to duplicate that in the NFL against much better and faster players.

Campbell had a ADOT of 4.5 yards, fwiw. That's RB territory.

I like AJ Brown a lot. Also think Hakeem Butler is WR1.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Elsewhere I did a little write-up on Penny Hart, a crafty small slot who can break ankles at the top of his route and who can return punts. This is the kind of guy I'd expect the Packers to draft if they were looking for strictly a twitchy slot without outside versatility if they were of a mind to go small. That's probably day 3.
I thought this was a good breakdown of current options on the team, as to who might assume the slot position at WR. Obviously, the Packers could try and draft a guy to take it over, but I just wouldn't have a lot of confidence in a rookie.

After going through the article and all the options, I can see EQ taking over the spot. I actually liked the idea of Adams, but just think he is way too valuable outside.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-post-randall-cobb-slot-options-301
Great read. Football is all about finding mismatches for your best playmakers and I think not having a “prototypical slot” does just that. We are loaded with bigs that can run and can present mismatches so we are fine not drafting a WR in the first. This draft is deep at the position and talent will be there in the 3rd and 4th. The article touched on LaFleur having plenty of 2 back sets in his system so maybe a playmaking back trumps WR. I’d even go as far as saying Irv Smith Jr. is a better fit as an H-Back in a 21 personnel than a Hockenson or Fant so I wouldn’t be surprised if he was our pick at #30.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Edit: Just realized you may be referring to Marquise Brown and not A.J. Brown. If that was the case.....my apologies. Definitely 2 different WR's!

Marquise Brown.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Interesting choices. Who do you take at #12? Not many people would touch any of those players with a top 15 pick.

You are entitled to your opinion though.

I want them to trade back from 12 and then trade up multiple times later on.

If they have to pick at 12 then it comes down to who drops.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

As far as AJ Brown im not interested at all. At 6'0 235 that might be a problem in the NFL. He is basically a 4.5 guy with average jumps. This guy could have a "TY Montgomery Problem" being able to be a real effective WR. He just isn't TWITCHY enough for me to spend a high pick. I'd rather go Harmon later out of NCSU if were gonna go for another posession type receiever with no deep speed.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I want them to trade back from 12 and then trade up multiple times later on.

If they have to pick at 12 then it comes down to who drops.
??? Isn't that kind of the way most of the first few rounds work? If someone the Packers thought would go in the first 8 picks drops to #12, wouldn't they be wise to stay pat and take them? Or if a guy they had going between #10-#20 is still sitting there at #30, wouldn't he be considered high value?

I get the notion of sitting in the wings and hoping to swoop back in, trade down and grab a guy that is now considered high value, but that also takes finding a trade partner and potentially giving up 2-3 picks to pull it off.

I like the fact that the Packers have 2 first round picks, it definitely gives them some flexibility with the top 20 or so guys. If teams reach and grab QB's and OT's early, this should allow the Packers to get a #1 guy at certain positions with their #12 pick and potentially a #1 or #2 player at his position with their 30th pick.

But yes.....if the Packers are seeing 4+ guys they like equally as the #12 pick approaches, trade back 3-5 spots and pick up another pick in the 3rd round.

Even though it didn't go so well with Kevin King, I do love that #33 pick if the Packers can get it again. Gives the Packer staff a ton of time "on the clock" to really go over everyone available before making that pick or trading back again.

Seems like most draft pick trades happen during the draft, teams want to see how things are taking shape and if the guys they have at the top of their boards for each position are there or not there. So really hard to predict what strategy is best, trade up or down, until things start taking shape.

Last edited: