Slot Options- Who will take over?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Elsewhere I did a little write-up on Penny Hart, a crafty small slot who can break ankles at the top of his route and who can return punts. This is the kind of guy I'd expect the Packers to draft if they were looking for strictly a twitchy slot without outside versatility if they were of a mind to go small. That's probably day 3.

DAY 3 ON OFFENSE. That's Exactly why we are in the situation we are in now.

Packers used to have an elite offense back in the day. Back when they drafted talented offensive weapons earlier then day 3. Now our offense DOESN'T SCARE ANYONE.

The front office has been playing it like there smarter then everyone else and it's backfired.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Well Campbell wouldn't be my first choice if were looking for a slot receiver to block. That is the one thing I don't think he does well

You are selling your own guy short on that according to this article. Apparently, he worked on his blocking game last season and did quiet well. :) I also recognize the source of this article. ;)

I think the biggest thing that excites me about Campbell is the potential YAC he is capable of. While I don't expect him to be running quite so freely in the NFL, as he seemed to be allowed at the college level, I do think he is that guy that has the potential to make the defense respect the quick dump offs to him and if they blink, he may be off and running a deeper route up the middle of the field.

https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-football/parris-campbell-ohio-state-nfl-draft-buckeyes/

Reaction score
I’m liking Terry Mclaurin, Campbell’s Co-pilot. If we’re fortunate enough for him to get into 3rd round comp- early day 3, he’s someone I’d be very happy to see get picked by GB. He’s an example of the solid depth of class of 2019 at WR. He averaged 20 yards a catch last year on a good sample size.

Of course, this is more of a contingency plan.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

DAY 3 ON OFFENSE. That's Exactly why we are in the situation we are in now.

Packers used to have an elite offense back in the day. Back when they drafted talented offensive weapons earlier then day 3. Now our offense DOESN'T SCARE ANYONE.

The front office has been playing it like there smarter then everyone else and it's backfired.
I expect an OT taken high, preferably a guy who can play OG in year 1 before taking over for Bulaga. A Day 2 running back is a possibility especially with Jones durability at issue. Knee sprains tend to follow knee sprains. If you're going to run the ball more which seems to be a LaFleur interest, you need 3 who can take meaningful snaps when injuries strike. And running the ball doesn't work very well if the defense can't keep games close.

So, that could be 2 of the top 4 picks going to the O. There are still holes on D while Clark, Daniels and Martinez are heading to free agency after the season with a tight cap situation for 2020. More offense down the board.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I expect an OT taken high, preferably a guy who can play OG in year 1 before taking over for Bulaga. A Day 2 running back is a possibility especially with Jones durability at issue. Knee sprains tend to follow knee sprains. If you're going to run the ball more which seems to be a LaFleur interest, you need 3 who can take meaningful snaps when injuries strike. And running the ball doesn't work very well if the defense can't keep games close.

So, that could be 2 of the top 4 picks going to the O. There are still holes on D while Clark, Daniels and Martinez are heading to free agency after the season with a tight cap situation for 2020. More offense down the board.

Packers will no doubt exercise the 5th year option on Clark this Spring, I doubt he is going anywhere for 2 years. However, I would agree with your sentiment and say that the Packers might be going DL in one of their first 4 picks.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You are selling your own guy short on that according to this article. Apparently, he worked on his blocking game last season and did quiet well. :) I also recognize the source of this article. ;)

I think the biggest thing that excites me about Campbell is the potential YAC he is capable of. While I don't expect him to be running quite so freely in the NFL, as he seemed to be allowed at the college level, I do think he is that guy that has the potential to make the defense respect the quick dump offs to him and if they blink, he may be off and running a deeper route up the middle of the field.

https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-football/parris-campbell-ohio-state-nfl-draft-buckeyes/

That's the beautiful thing about Campbell. He IMPROVED EVERY SEASON which is exactly what you want to see in a projection type player.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not what I said. Whoever your top 3 receivers, or 4 receivers in 4-wide, happen to be can alternate in the slot based on the play call and matchups. For example, would you find the idea of MVS motioning to the slot to run a go route against a 4.6 strong safety unappealing? I don't. How about Adams out of the slot running one of these money slants he runs? He does that, you know.

Moore is also a wild card. If he can get his stuff together he's the definition of a big slot, quite twitchy, big, strong. He might get worked into the mix.

There are a lot of possibilities that don't involve a water bug slot.
definitely and i get all that and i love wr movement (which is only an intermittent thing). my reaction wasn't at you personally though but at the continued realization that our wr corp is so...(i'll be kind) unsettled. it's adams and a bunch of guys. it's going to be a long season if...someone doesn't make a big jump at #2 or a real #2 isn't in their draft, if someone doesn't take a strangle hold on the #3, if they don't make a serious effort at throwing to the backs, and... if rodgers can't get past his trust issues.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

If we trade back I like the scenario below. DL gets the shaft this year. Need to re-sign Wilkerson and go D-Tackle next year. Montro Adams is a guy they need to get more out of. Of course they could go DL with one of the OL picks I made too.

#15 Cody Ford OL Oklahoma
#30 Parris Campbell WR/Slot OSU
#44 Chris Lindstrom G Boston Coll
#75 Justice Hill RB OSU
#76 Germaine Pratt ILB NCSU
#114 Jace Sternberger TE Texas A&M
#118 Mike Bell S Fresno State

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's the beautiful thing about Campbell. He IMPROVED EVERY SEASON which is exactly what you want to see in a projection type player.
Only thing he didn't improve in (statistically) was his rushing. Which isn't a big deal to me, I'm not that big of a fan of jet sweep type of runs in the NFL.

I also am trying to wrap my head around the fact that he was playing in a very high powered offense at OSU, with a QB that may go top 10 and a RB tandem that gained over 2000 yds. Campbell is definitely a great physical prospect, but he may not have instant success in the NFL just because of that, he is going to have to improve his route running and ball skills quite a bit to thrive.

After watching some highlights, I think I figured out my slight issue with PC....most of what he accomplishes is with his feet, which isn't a bad thing, but very few contested or difficult catches in his highlight reel.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Only thing he didn't improve in (statistically) was his rushing. Which isn't a big deal to me, I'm not that big of a fan of jet sweep type of runs in the NFL.

I also am trying to wrap my head around the fact that he was playing in a very high powered offense at OSU, with a QB that may go top 10 and a RB tandem that gained over 2000 yds. Campbell is definitely a great physical prospect, but he may not have instant success in the NFL just because of that, he is going to have to improve his route running and ball skills quite a bit to thrive.

After watching some highlights, I think I figured out my slight issue with PC....most of what he accomplishes is with his feet, which isn't a bad thing, but very few contested or difficult catches in his highlight reel.

He was the BEST skilled player on a team loaded with them. That's the guy I want. The fact that he was able to put up the numbers he did with so many other weapons speaks volume.

They literally had 4 skilled guys that will most likely make an NFL rostet. Parris is the cream of the crop. Exactly what we need in this Packer offense to get it HUMMING again.

Adams had Derek Carr in college and it worked out well for Adams in the NFL so I have zero worry of that being a risk with Campbell.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
definitely and i get all that and i love wr movement (which is only an intermittent thing). my reaction wasn't at you personally though but at the continued realization that our wr corp is so...(i'll be kind) unsettled. it's adams and a bunch of guys. it's going to be a long season if...someone doesn't make a big jump at #2 or a real #2 isn't in their draft, if someone doesn't take a strangle hold on the #3, if they don't make a serious effort at throwing to the backs, and... if rodgers can't get past his trust issues.

It just simply can't be ignored any longer and i i believe Gute has a plan via the draft.

H

HardRightEdge

Packers will no doubt exercise the 5th year option on Clark this Spring, I doubt he is going anywhere for 2 years. However, I would agree with your sentiment and say that the Packers might be going DL in one of their first 4 picks.
The point being that Clark's cap number under that option will be $8 mil or something north. And I wouldn't assume the option is the way to go instead of a long term deal. Lop that off the avialable cap space which is already tight. Regardless of whether it is the option or a long term deal, Daniels will either be unaffordable if he plays to expectations or he doesn't and you don't want him. Either way, he'll need to be replaced and this is a good draft to do it while also having some needed depth at the position now.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

definitely and i get all that and i love wr movement (which is only an intermittent thing). my reaction wasn't at you personally though but at the continued realization that our wr corp is so...(i'll be kind) unsettled. it's adams and a bunch of guys. it's going to be a long season if...someone doesn't make a big jump at #2 or a real #2 isn't in their draft, if someone doesn't take a strangle hold on the #3, if they don't make a serious effort at throwing to the backs, and... if rodgers can't get past his trust isfsues.
Rookie WRs are notoriously unproductive, particularly these days in transitioning to pro style offenses. If we put on our "win now" caps, which I suppose we must after these FA contracts, picking a guy to be your #2 is likely not going to work out very well in 2019.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Rookie WRs are notoriously unproductive, particularly these days in transitioning to pro style offenses. If we put on our "win now" caps, which I suppose we must after these FA contracts, picking a guy to be your #2 is likely not going to work out very well in 2019.

I am not so certain of that. The last time the Packers spent a top pick on a receiver(Adams) he had a really good rookie season. He also showed up and was a big part of wins against New England and Dallas in the playoffs. We probably don't win those games without Adams.

We haven't brought in anything close to him since. These younger guys are a Fairy Tale.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
What we are going through and getting ready to endure is years of nelglecting and basically abusing the talent level at the WR position.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not so certain of that. The last time the Packers spent a top pick on a receiver(Adams) he had a really good rookie season. He also showed up and was a big part of wins against New England and Dallas in the playoffs. We probably don't win those games without Adams.

We haven't brought in anything close to him since. These younger guys are a Fairy Tale.

Davante had 450 yards and three touchdowns his rookie season. While he did have memorable performances against those teams, that's not really a "really good rookie season". The Patriots were shutting down all first and second receivers that year and everyone knew going in the key to winning was feeding Adams (or anyone not Jordy or Cobb) with targets. He got 11 targets. Davante took some time to season in this offense that's for sure.

Reaction score
What we are going through and getting ready to endure is years of nelglecting and basically abusing the talent level at the WR position.
The moves made so far speak to a high probability Gute goes Offense twice this draft before day 3. There’s no question he has to recognize the imbalance of draft resources going back a decade.
If we added up the last ten years of draft resources representing O and D in draft points? It would be absolutely shocking how we’ve ignored this Offense.

My belief is last year he somewhat purposely disregarded it because he had a DC who was implementing a new system. This year it’ll be more balanced and next year he’ll go O heavy.

I still wouldn’t count Gute completely out in the FA or trade for a WR aspect. Time is on his side now and patience is incredibly hard but good things come to those who wait. He’s on a tight budge, but we’re not done being crafty. He’s letting the pie cool before he cuts a slice or burns his lip digging in too early.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Davante had 450 yards and three touchdowns his rookie season. While he did have memorable performances against those teams, that's not really a "really good rookie season". The Patriots were shutting down all first and second receivers that year and everyone knew going in the key to winning was feeding Adams (or anyone not Jordy or Cobb) with targets. He got 11 targets. Davante took some time to season in this offense that's for sure.

Agreed and if I remember correctly, there were a lot of people in this forum calling him "paddle hands" and thought he was a busted pick.

I wouldn't be angry if the Packers used their #45 pick on one of the top 5 WR's, but I don't see any WR in this draft that I would take with a top 15 pick and would even hesitate at #30, especially if most of them are still on the board.

I don't think any WR that they select will put up big numbers in 2019 for the Packers. Find one that can contribute on Special teams returning the ball and work him into the offense over the next 1-2 years. If that guy happens to be Campbell (at #45), awesome.

Reaction score
Agreed and if I remember correctly, there were a lot of people in this forum calling him "paddle hands" and thought he was a busted pick.

I wouldn't be angry if the Packers used their #45 pick on one of the top 5 WR's, but I don't see any WR in this draft that I would take with a top 15 pick and would even hesitate at #30, especially if most of them are still on the board.

I don't think any WR that they select will put up big numbers in 2019 for the Packers. Find one that can contribute on Special teams returning the ball and work him into the offense over the next 1-2 years. If that guy happens to be Campbell (at #45), awesome.
I remember being at the home opener in 2014. We played the Jets and nobody really knew much about Adams. We got off to a terrible start the first quarter and I remember a young Davante showing flashes of his potential by picking up a couple of key first downs that game. While he didn’t light the stats, He totally looked the part and in a way.. MVS kinda reminds me of that confidence for a rookie.

MVS earned the right to work 100% with our first team and push G Mo. I believe either 2019 or 2020 he’ll be become a bonafied Off ball type WR. He has the raw speed to be sent in motion and he can cause problems for the average #2 CB who doesn’t get a chance to press him off the LOS.

That still leaves a ? At Slot. I’m not opposed (like I’m the GM or something :whistling:) to have a Camp and Preseason competition between EQ and an OSU draftee. If we don’t bring in a Vet, 2nd or 3rd round we need to find an answer. These 2 fit the bill, but can they become a Law?
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...ay-two-targets-parris-campbell-terry-mclaurin

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

He flashed a lot his rookie year but that's fine. You guys can play all these tricks on yourselves that Allison, MVS, St Brown are gonna emerge and be some big special deal. When the balloon pops on this offense and we can't score on the Bears or Vikings or keep up with the Rams and Saints there won't be much left to blame but the foolish approach the Packers have gone about building this offense.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The moves made so far speak to a high probability Gute goes Offense twice this draft before day 3. There’s no question he has to recognize the imbalance of draft resources going back a decade.
If we added up the last ten years of draft resources representing O and D in draft points? It would be absolutely shocking how we’ve ignored this Offense.

My belief is last year he somewhat purposely disregarded it because he had a DC who was implementing a new system. This year it’ll be more balanced and next year he’ll go O heavy.

I still wouldn’t count Gute completely out in the FA or trade for a WR aspect. Time is on his side now and patience is incredibly hard but good things come to those who wait. He’s on a tight budge, but we’re not done being crafty. He’s letting the pie cool before he cuts a slice or burns his lip digging in too early.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it.
We will learn a lot about Gute this draft. I believe the FA was a setup. He’s gonna do something unconventional this season, That’s been his MO.
Don’t be surprised if he doubles down at OL/OL Or OL/WR or OL/RB Or OL/TE, not necessarily in that order. I’m not saying necessarily with the first 2 selections... but early.
He may even get aggressive with pick #30 or #44 and package into the first round to nail 3 day one selections or move up earlier?

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We will learn a lot about Gute this draft. I believe the FA was a setup. He’s gonna do something unconventional this season, That’s been his MO.
Don’t be surprised if he doubles down at OL/OL Or OL/WR or OL/RB Or OL/TE, not necessarily in that order. I’m not saying necessarily with the first 2 selections... but early.
He may even get aggressive with pick #30 or #44 and package into the first round to nail 3 day one selections or move up earlier?

They need to do something because right now it's a crap offense.

Yes, they need to strike early and often on the offensive side of the ball. The players are there and just have to go get them.

My fear is there gonna trick themselves into thinking they are a couple pieces away from building a dominant defense(which it's never been) and get lured into continuing to go down that rabbit hole.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts