Panthers studs n duds

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Special teams narrowly avoided another blocked punt.

Get a new punter already.

That nearly blocked punt was a result of 3rd round pick Oren Burks completely whiffing on blocking his man. What an utter disappointment and failure Burks has been!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
To follow up on what I said last night about the Panthers and losing close, here are their 10 losses this year:

1. LV: -4
  2. @TB: -14
  3. CHI: -7
  4. @NO: -3
  5. ATL: -8
  6. KC: -2
  7. TB: -23
  8. MIN: -1
  9. DEN: -5
  10. GB: -8
So the Bucs beat them big two times, and otherwise they have 8 losses of one score or less. The 8 point margin is actually tied for the 3rd biggest they've suffered on the season.

This is not to say that the Packers didn't have problems last night, because they did. Carolina exposed some tendencies on offense. Hopefully this is a positive in the long run, allowing the Packers to see and address some schematic issues before the playoffs.

But the point here is that if people were expecting a blow out, they were misinformed about the opponent.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
there was a nice close up of Rodgers and explicative, explicative Bobby after missing a block and I think Lazard only went for 2-3 instead of 8-10 or more. And we couldn't really go deeper because the oline was atrocious by that time. All of them.

Rodgers was very unhappy most of that second half with his receivers and it not only showed in his body language, but I think in his play. I'm not going to dwell on what I think is less than an adequate group of receivers 14 games into the season and #12 can't afford to either or we won't be around very long in the playoffs. I thought I heard announcers say or I read it somewhere that the Panthers basically had 2 guys on Davante most of the night, if that happens in the future, I hope MLF and Rodgers can find better ways to exploit it than what we saw last night.

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh yeah, Crosby gets a stud for the second game in a row with a 50 + yard clutch FG. @captainWIMM

True, Crosby deserves to be mentioned as a stud once again. As mentioned last week in one of my few posts lately (work hasn't allowed me to post more often, hopefully that will change starting tomorrow) he has been elite the past two seasons.

BTW Pokerbrat2000, I think it's finally time for me to accept that I have lost our bet. Looking forward to your signature suggestion.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Re-watched the offensive snaps. Lucas Patrick got his *** handed to him all night. We need Linsley back healthy for the playoffs so that everyone can get back to their normal positions on the line.

Turner wasn't good. Even Bahk had some rough moments.

On top of that, Davante drops two big passes. Not like him at all, and Lazard drops the one on the sidelines that stalled a drive when Rodgers bolted to his left on the designed bootleg.

The running game was rock solid and the defense held it together.

I know it wasn't pretty, but these are the kinds of games we just simply did not win a lot of in the McCarthy era. It's nice to know that we have another pitch besides the fastball when things aren't going well.

Rodgers wasn't perfect, but I don't think he played a bad game. He doesn't have near the speed and quickness he once had to escape some of them pressures anymore. He's still got nice legs, but they aren't what they used to be. We can't hope to get 2014 Aaron Rodgers in those situations.

For me though, this whole game started and ended with poor line play. And many times it was only 4 man pressures. That HAS to be cleaned up or this offense will not work.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
To follow up on what I said last night about the Panthers and losing close, here are their 10 losses this year:

1. LV: -4
  2. @TB: -14
  3. CHI: -7
  4. @NO: -3
  5. ATL: -8
  6. KC: -2
  7. TB: -23
  8. MIN: -1
  9. DEN: -5
  10. GB: -8
So the Bucs beat them big two times, and otherwise they have 8 losses of one score or less. The 8 point margin is actually tied for the 3rd biggest they've suffered on the season.

This is not to say that the Packers didn't have problems last night, because they did. Carolina exposed some tendencies on offense. Hopefully this is a positive in the long run, allowing the Packers to see and address some schematic issues before the playoffs.

But the point here is that if people were expecting a blow out, they were misinformed about the opponent.
I'll admit that I underestimated the Panthers, and I alluded to some of their close losses this season in the game thread leading up to last night, but I still thought the Packers should have had them outmanned just looking at the matchups.

I haven't watched a lot of Panthers games this year, but I never saw this type of unrelenting pressure in the snaps that I've been able to see. And their pressure statistics aren't good at all.

Getting out to the 21-3 lead wasn't an accident. If the offensive line holds up and gives the passing O some time, Rodgers would've picked them apart. And the running game was brilliant. That was an example of imposing its will. Which the Packers should have been able to do in the passing game.

Them boys up front just got their tails whooped for the most part.

Defensively the Packers were really good for the most part as well. Some late points were given up, but didn't give a whole lot in the game as a whole.

Like you mentioned, hopefully a lot to gain from the film.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When things aren't clicking perfectly Rodgers has to reel things in. He gets pissed and the offense flops. Find that extra gear bud.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When things aren't clicking perfectly Rodgers has to reel things in. He gets pissed and the offense flops. Find that extra gear bud.

Agree, I feel like he has a really hard time moving past the drops and sacks.

I was happy about his comments after the game being pretty ******* the team. Would have been easy to say "grinded out an ugly win against a good team" but his brutal honesty that they wouldn't win a playoff game like that was hopefully motivating.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'll admit that I underestimated the Panthers, and I alluded to some of their close losses this season in the game thread leading up to last night, but I still thought the Packers should have had them outmanned just looking at the matchups.

I think the Packers came into the game not underestimating the Panthers and it showed in the first half. Maybe going into the Locker room up 21-3 at half gave them that sense that the Panthers didn't show up and they could coast the rest of the night. Even the halftime crew was saying the game was over and the Panthers were woefully mismatched against the Packers.

The offense, especially the OL let off the gas last night and came close to getting caught with their pants around their ankles. I think we have seen this a few times under MLF and I don't know what he needs to do in the locker room before they come out for the 3rd Q, but figure it out and keep that fire lit under their collective ***es for all 4 quarters.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Week 15

In which we discover that MLF gives
the worst half-time speeches in the history of football​

The studs were the whole team in the first half. I was sitting there thinking this was the most complete half of the year and GB was on it's way to "playing their best ball at the most important time of the year", "peaking when they need to", and "the team to beat". Then:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the Packers came into the game not underestimating the Panthers and it showed in the first half. Maybe going into the Locker room up 21-3 at half gave them that sense that the Panthers didn't show up and they could coast the rest of the night. Even the halftime crew was saying the game was over and the Panthers were woefully mismatched against the Packers.

The offense, especially the OL let off the gas last night and came close to getting caught with their pants around their ankles. I think we have seen this a few times under MLF and I don't know what he needs to do in the locker room before they come out for the 3rd Q, but figure it out and keep that fire lit under their collective ***es for all 4 quarters.

Let off the gas?? I hear this a lot, if they ran 6 and passed 13? How is that letting off the gas?

I think it was more they Didn’t execute properly.. Lazard and Adams had the dropsies

To me the online performed as bad as they have all year, resulted in sacks, pressures and it affected everything on the offense

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let off the gas?? I hear this a lot, if they ran 6 and passed 13? How is that letting off the gas?

I think it was more they Didn’t execute properly.. Lazard and Adams had the dropsies

To me the online performed as bad as they have all year, resulted in sacks, pressures and it affected everything on the offense
Lazard dropping that sideline pass. I could not believe it. It was exactly into his hands. He caught everything else but that was really bad.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That nearly blocked punt was a result of 3rd round pick Oren Burks completely whiffing on blocking his man. What an utter disappointment and failure Burks has been!
Truly that was a terrible almost block by him. I wonder if Mennenga will even mention it.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it is because MLF doesn't like him. I'm wondering if they are limiting his play because he is recovering from COVID. They say it takes a while to get your strength back and Dillon was out for a few weeks.

Well even before then LaFleur really didn't give him the kind of chance I felt he deserved on short yardage.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Z Smith gets a dud for the 4th down offsides at the end. Not for the offsides but standing and yelling to the ref while the play is ongoing. I am tired of players giving up on a play to lobby the refs.

Last season would have caused an int if the DPI did not get called. Lazard I think.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
A 4-10 team shut down the #1 offense other teams that are much better playoff bound teams are probably looking at a Packers squad who can’t deal with 4 qtrs of football, Rodgers holds the ball way to long he still has some wheels under him and would be better getting 3 to 4 yards instead of a hit that will knock him out the game, let’s face it no Rodgers, no chance, wide receivers coach, a little more practice with your receivers wouldn’t hurt, if they can shut down the # 1 receiver in football and the others only make cameo appearances, than I guess we’ll be going back to why didn’t we draft a WR in the 1st round, putting up 40 puts sounds like a safe bet to win instead of 30imao

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It's such a luxury as a fan to be so disgusted with a game, and still win. It could be worse.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all I agree that the defense did a good job limiting the Panthers to 16 points. Furthermore, the offense was not good from the end of the 2nd quarter on. However, one of the things I don’t like about this bend don’t break defense is the amount of clock it uses up. While it’s true that that would appear to be beneficial to the team with the lead, it also limits the number of offensive possessions we get..
especially when the offense is struggling to get things going. Sometimes the offense needs a few more chances to get it figured out, but when we allow the other team to march all the way down the field before finally stiffening up, the defense gets tired and the offense has less opportunity to get things going.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Truly that was a terrible almost block by him. I wonder if Mennenga will even mention it.

It's going to be hard not to mention it when it shows up on the film. If Mennenga doesn't mention it, he should be fired on the spot. Burks can be considered a veteran now and if he can't be a contributor on defense, then his only hope is on special teams. This is the second major screw up I have seen from him, the other one I think was on a long punt return where he took a terrible angle and totally whiffed on a diving tackle. I think most of us were high on Burks or at least hopeful, he has been a major disappointment. Actually, with the exception of Alexander, Gutes first draft is overall pretty disappointing.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

In this case "taking your foot off the gas" isn't just about play calls. It is about the intensity level and effort put out by each player. I honestly think the OL got lazy and not nearly as sharp. As did Rodgers and his receiving Corp. So while the play calling may not have "let up on the gas", the level of play and enthusiasm of the players sure did. I think the offense thought this one was in the bag and the 2nd half was going to just be like the first.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
In this case "taking your foot off the gas" isn't just about play calls. It is about the intensity level and effort put out by each player. I honestly think the OL got lazy and not nearly as sharp. As did Rodgers and his receiving Corp. So while the play calling may not have "let up on the gas", the level of play and enthusiasm of the players sure did. I think the offense thought this one was in the bag and the 2nd half was going to just be like the first.
Ok, I could agree with that

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to be hard not to mention it when it shows up on the film. If Mennenga doesn't mention it, he should be fired on the spot. Burks can be considered a veteran now and if he can't be a contributor on defense, then his only hope is on special teams. This is the second major screw up I have seen from him, the other one I think was on a long punt return where he took a terrible angle and totally whiffed on a diving tackle. I think most of us were high on Burks or at least hopeful, he has been a major disappointment. Actually, with the exception of Alexander, Gutes first draft is overall pretty disappointing.
I am typically very optimistic about draft picks because I assume that the team’s scouts and GM know a lot more than I do. That being said, I have been skeptical about Burks since the night he was drafted. Trading up to get back into the 3rd round and then selecting him has always been a head scratcher to me. His college tape certainly didn’t make me go wow the way you would expect from a highlight reel.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am typically very optimistic about draft picks because I assume that the team’s scouts and GM know a lot more than I do. That being said, I have been skeptical about Burks since the night he was drafted. Trading up to get back into the 3rd round and then selecting him has always been a head scratcher to me. His college tape certainly didn’t make me go wow the way you would expect from a highlight reel.

Agreed. I think my "optimism" was based on what we heard from the coaches coming out of camp. Also, going a few years in desperation mode at ILB, I was optimistic that Gute must have seen something to trade up and grab Burks in the 3rd. Let's hope he hasn't made the same mistake with Love. :D

Members online

Latest posts