Packers sign Guion to 3 year deal

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the "who do we resign" thread I thought 3 yr/$9Mil was the starting point for both Guion & Raji. Guion got a richer deal, but I don't think it's out of line for a starting-caliber DT. He only played 1/3 of the D snaps, but also had to sit for the first 3 games, so I'm hoping his '16 snap count is closer to 50-60% of the D snaps.

Between Guion, Daniels & Pennel the interior D line is OK, but think we're thin at DE. D. Jones, Peppers & Neal (hopefully) are OLB's opposite CM3, so TT needs to find a couple of true 3-4 DE's (6'-5"+, 305 lbs+) to mix in.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Although his numbers are some what pedestrian, I do like the fact that Guion is still only 28 and has some tread left on is tires. I just hope the contract he signed has some motivational clauses in it. Same with Raji if we resign him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Was it a contract or extension? Does this count as a free agent? Does some of it count towards this season's cap?

The Packers re-signed Guion to a contract that will kick in when the new league year starts in March. Technically he was under contract until free agency starts. I don't know about the structure of the contract but no part of it will be allowed to count against the 2015 cap.

In the "who do we resign" thread I thought 3 yr/$9Mil was the starting point for both Guion & Raji. Guion got a richer deal, but I don't think it's out of line for a starting-caliber DT. He only played 1/3 of the D snaps, but also had to sit for the first 3 games, so I'm hoping his '16 snap count is closer to 50-60% of the D snaps.

Actually Guion played only 39.1% of the defensive snaps the rest of the season after he returned in week 4.

Regarding Raji, he told Wes Hodkiewicz that the Packers haven't talked to him about re-signing him and I guess that Guion being back could mean the end of Raji's tenure in Green Bay.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Between Guion, Daniels & Pennel the interior D line is OK, but think we're thin at DE. D. Jones, Peppers & Neal (hopefully) are OLB's opposite CM3, so TT needs to find a couple of true 3-4 DE's (6'-5"+, 305 lbs+) to mix in.

3-4 DEs really only need to be 280+; Derek Wolfe for the Broncos is 285, Datone is 285, Cameron Jordan is 287, Cameron Heyward is 288, etc. Now, there are also plenty of guys that are 300+ pounds as well. Tends to be that shorter players are heavier while "longer" players can play in the 280's.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our current OLB's Peppers & D. Jones are both 285ish, so I would expect the DE's to be bigger. That's the only reason I want 300+ lb'ers at DE. CM3, Elliot, Neal, Mulumba & Perry are 255-260... so are Peppers & Jones not stout enough to be DE's?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our current OLB's Peppers & D. Jones are both 285ish, so I would expect the DE's to be bigger. That's the only reason I want 300+ lb'ers at DE. CM3, Elliot, Neal, Mulumba & Perry are 255-260... so are Peppers & Jones not stout enough to be DE's?

Peppers is primarily a pass rusher, which is more the duty of an OLB than a DE in a 3-4.

Sky King

Reaction score
Guys with drug and police problems make me uneasy. It's really hard for a guy to overcome the bad influences of a chronically poor home life, especially when drugs are part of it. When his old man raved about the dope he buys for him it certainly was a red flag for me. It's hard not to envision lots of freeloaders incessantly ******* him for hand-outs. Hopefully, if he does send them any it's via Western Union. The police in his hometown may be watching him relentlessly. One slip-up and Raji will be looking like the wiser option if it ever comes down to that. To me, he already was.

D

Deleted member 6794

Our current OLB's Peppers & D. Jones are both 285ish, so I would expect the DE's to be bigger.

While Datone played more snaps at OLB than DE during the second half of last season (52.2%) I still consider him more of a tweener.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he stays clean this is a fair re-signing for what he is to us or across the NFL for his position. If he stays clean and plays well would be considered a great re-signing.

This sets the table for Raji either way. I don't see TT paying him much more than Guion...so in a way TT is sending a message to Raji. I love our younger guys potential between Pennel, Boyd and Ringo (plus probably a draftee in a mid to late round).

D

Deleted member 6794

This sets the table for Raji either way. I don't see TT paying him much more than Guion...so in a way TT is sending a message to Raji.

Entering the offseason I expected Thompson to re-sign either Raji or Guion. With Letroy now being back on a three-year deal it wouldn´t surprise me at all to see B.J. leaving in free agency.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Entering the offseason I expected Thompson to re-sign either Raji or Guion. With Letroy now being back on a three-year deal it wouldn´t surprise me at all to see B.J. leaving in free agency.

I concur, I could see a scenario though where if Raji takes the same deal TT says "sure"....but this signing and the staff's believe in the youngblood should have Raji thinking it is time to re-invigorate his career.

I think he is a player that a change in venue could make a big difference for...and while frustrated he never lived up to his hype from his first years with us, I wish him well. The big teddy bear wiggle is something we will never see again I have a feeling.

D

Deleted member 6794

I concur, I could see a scenario though where if Raji takes the same deal TT says "sure"....but this signing and the staff's believe in the youngblood should have Raji thinking it is time to re-invigorate his career.

I think he is a player that a change in venue could make a big difference for...and while frustrated he never lived up to his hype from his first years with us, I wish him well.

After watching Raji struggle to stay motivated during a contract year in 2013 I expect a lot of teams being extremely reluctant to offer him a lucrative long-term deal. While it´s possible a team will overpay for him I would be nervous if the Packers would do it.

The big teddy bear wiggle is something we will never see again I have a feeling.

Absolutely loved his dance in the Bears end zone.

H

HardRightEdge

Raji would be the 4th. best D-Linemen on this squad. There's Daniels, of course. Then there's Pennel, who outplayed Raji throughout the year, and Guion once he got into the swing of things. Then there's Ringo who was a scout team captain...the brain trust must think he's got some game. Whether "some" is enough remains to be seen. Boyd is "just a guy" and might not get a contract.

Capers declared early last season that Datone Jones isn't strong enough to go against anybody but OTs (if anybody actually needed to be told that) which makes him an OLB in the Peppers mold in terms of size and range, if not ability, as he was played last season. There's no reason to believe he's anything but that.

Raji as a 4th. D-Lineman in rotation at a repeat of his $2.5 mil, maybe $5 mil over 2 years, I suppose my reaction would be a yawn. And that's assuming the Packers make him any offer at all, which should be in doubt.

One might surmise that Raji will take the highest bid given his past history of turning down an $8 mil per year extension...no stay-at-home discount here. Among those other 31 teams, there's surely one or two in need of a 3-4 NT for run downs that might pay him enough to move, which is Raji's remaining utility. His play at DE or at 3-tech in nickel has been abysmal going back to before the lost season. Pennel and Guion can handle NT as well or better.

This team does not need Raji. What this team needs on the D-Line is a 5 tech/3 tech DE who's at least adequate against the run and can rush the passer in nickel. In other words, a Daniels bookend.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Boyd is "just a guy" and might not get a contract.

Once again I agree with most of your post but Boyd is under contract for the 2016 season. That doesn´t assure he makes the team though as releasing him would only result in $36,140 of dead money.

H

HardRightEdge

Once again I agree with most of your post but Boyd is under contract for the 2016 season. That doesn´t assure he makes the team though as releasing him would only result in $36,140 of dead money.
Right again! Whether Boyd "gets a contract" or "keeps his contract" amounts to the same thing as a tiny rounding error.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Maybe if TT trades back into high 2nd round he'd consider DE Sheldon Rankins...
http://nfldraftreport.sportsblog.co...ill-find-on-louisville-s-sheldon-rankins.html
I didn't catch the all-star games this year so I won't start to get particularly interested in potential draftees until the Combine. Judging from your link alone, Rankins' vertical and broad jumps are a little ridiculous for a short big man. Short, very athletic judging from this little information, and in the Daniels mold I suppose. I'd like to see more length in a Daniels bookend, though I'd not consider it a deal breaker.

In any event, I have a hard time seeing the Packers taking a D-Linemen with their first pick, be it in the first round or a trade back to second. There are more pressing needs elsewhere.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Ryan04, captainWIMM's link is a better breakdown of Guion's contract:
IMO this is a very good deal for the Packers. Guion has to keep his nose clean in each of the off seasons with $250K bonuses due in May and August of this year and $400K bonuses in May of 2017 and another at the beginning of the new league year. If Guion is caught delivering pot to, or smoking it with his father (or gets arrested for anything else) in the next couple of months the Packers can waive him and it’ll cost them $500K and a $500K cap hit this season. The $50K for every game he’s on the active roster throughout the contract provides some injury insurance. It’s not an incentive contract based upon production (which is rare) but it provides exactly the kind of insurance the Packers need. It’s unusual for a potential $11M contract to provide a team with the ability to cut the player loose right from the beginning with relatively small cap consequences. And of course Guion has no one but himself to blame for that.

Staff online

Latest posts