2023 Free Agents around the league, news and signings.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So…………$52M a year.

Can everyone that told me I was crazy that Lamar is an elite QB, and would be paid like it….apologize.

Everyone that told me the league was sending a message he wasn’t worth it…..apologize

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So…………$52M a year.

Can everyone that told me I was crazy that Lamar is an elite QB, and would be paid like it….apologize.

Everyone that told me the league was sending a message he wasn’t worth it…..apologize
I wasn't one of THOSE people, but glad to see he got a deal done. A-Rod is going to want at least $55+ now.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So…………$52M a year.

If we're to believe the reported contract he turned down of 200M in guarantees and then was allowed to negotiate with the rest of the league, and then signed for 15M less than what he turned down back in March I'd say he got some sort of message.

I don't think anybody said he was chopped liver.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we're to believe the reported contract he turned down of 200M in guarantees and then was allowed to negotiate with the rest of the league, and then signed for 15M less than what he turned down back in March I'd say he got some sort of message.

I don't think anybody said he was chopped liver.

Capt said he wasn’t a top QB and teams proved it with this whole thing. He is top 5 all day everyday right this moment…now contract supports it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Capt said he wasn’t a top QB and teams proved it with this whole thing. He is top 5 all day everyday right this moment…now contract supports it.
The deal is worth $260 million over five years with $185 million guaranteed, according to CBS Sports NFL insider Josina Anderson. This makes Jackson the league's highest-paid player with an average annual salary of $52 million.

I can't see many teams wanting to give up 2 first rounds picks AND that kind of money to any QB. Good way to get fired if you are the GM pulling that deal off.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Borderline top 5. Definitely not consensus. IMO clearly better than him are Mahomes, Burrow, Allen & Hurts. Both now and when you consider age. Arguably better than him if you are only speaking of now is the Jets QB. If you add age to the equation I would take Herbert and Lawrence over him and drop Rodgers out. IMO.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$185KK guaranteed. That's a lot and if he gets hurt it will not have been worth it. And he has more of a chance of getting hurt than other QBs imho. I've seen him throw some really good balls but I'm not convinced in that area yet. We'll see what happens this year.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So…………$52M a year.

I'll give you one more tidbit to add to your Lamar folder. The guy did all this without an agent. Probably saved himself a cool $7-8M by doing so. That has to be getting agents/agencies nervous. I'm just throwing this out there, not a fact, no evidence, just saying it....but it wouldn't surprise me that players negotiating contracts without agents, get some cold shoulders from the league, as well as who knows what agents are saying behind closed doors to attempt to sabotage guys that try to do it on their own.

There is a ton of money made on professional contracts and it isn't just the players making it. Not saying that an agent won't potentially make them more money, but if you have the chops to market and negotiate for yourself, in a very limited market, a good contract lawyer might be all you need.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He's a top QB--until he gets hurt. And he will. Again and again. He will have the NFL lifespan of a RB.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So…………$52M a year.

We apologize. Forgot to account for the 8.7% inflation rate.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Can't find anything that supports this happening.

Is it just Antonio Brown being....Antonio Brown?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

So…………$52M a year.

I don't see any reason to apologize but I was obviously wrong about the Ravens not seeing Lamar as an elite quarterback. I was absolutely stunned when I saw the numbers for his contract. I'm convinced Baltimore will end up regretting that deal.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see any reason to apologize but I was obviously wrong about the Ravens not seeing Lamar as an elite quarterback. I was absolutely stunned when I saw the numbers for his contract. I'm convinced Baltimore will end up regretting that deal.

Lol you’re good, this was half poking at some of you not truly thinking apologies needed for an opinion.

I was also shocked truthfully. I figured it’d be top 5 but not this.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lamar is talking about throwing for 6000 yards. His best season he threw for about half that (~3100 yards). Maybe try throwing for 4000 yards first.
Did he forget they need to run the ball at least part of the time?

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's a dart throw. Possible jet sweep gadget guy Lynn Bowden.

Bowden has played in only a single game since the 2020 season. I guess there are more productive players out there if the Packers feel the need to add another receiver.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the crazy thing to go off of what I posted about Coutee snap counts....some of the concensus "best WR" free agents out there right now and their snapcounts last season and last two seasons:

Golladay - 198 / 666
Julio Jones - 351 / 393
Jarvis Landry - 301 / 533
Rashard Higgins - 9 / 509
N'Keal Harry - 159 / 326
Demarcus Robinson - 588 / 696
Breshad Perriman - 197 / 153
Byron Pringle - 257 / 586

Christian Watson played 507 snaps in 2022...Doubs 529

There are barely any WRs with as many snaps last season out there...and many haven't done that in the past couple seasons. While yes we are incredibly young at WR...the WR landscape as it sits right now just to me isn't wroth going after. Now I will say if we felt slot was a need Landry is worth talking about a one year deal...Demarcus Robinson I can also see value in as I think he is going to come cheap but middle of the road experienced cat still trying to maybe get a few more years.

TY Hilton is the only veteran on the landscape that I think offers potential contribution if needed (hope not needed), would embrace possibly that veteran role and IMO would not withhold growth of our top two Watson/Doubs and in the slot Reed. HOWEVER, I think what you're seeing Green Bay do is the absolute right call....a guy like T.Y. is probably still gonna be there even entering week 1...Julio could as well be there waiting for injuries and the right call...adding any of these other "vets" merely to have vets when you've clearly chosen to go young I think is counter-intuitive at this moment.

Now sure if we see Watson or Doubs get an injury in pre-season or even Reed or Toure....then calling up a Hilton, a Julio or a veteran that might get cut even in cut downs makes absolute sense as that stop gap guy that at a minimum comes in and doesn't force you to ask Wicks or Dubose or another rookie to swim in the deep end right away.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Here's the crazy thing to go off of what I posted about Coutee snap counts....some of the concensus "best WR" free agents out there right now and their snapcounts last season and last two seasons:

Golladay - 198 / 666
Julio Jones - 351 / 393
Jarvis Landry - 301 / 533
Rashard Higgins - 9 / 509
N'Keal Harry - 159 / 326
Demarcus Robinson - 588 / 696
Breshad Perriman - 197 / 153
Byron Pringle - 257 / 586

Christian Watson played 507 snaps in 2022...Doubs 529

There are barely any WRs with as many snaps last season out there...and many haven't done that in the past couple seasons. While yes we are incredibly young at WR...the WR landscape as it sits right now just to me isn't wroth going after. Now I will say if we felt slot was a need Landry is worth talking about a one year deal...Demarcus Robinson I can also see value in as I think he is going to come cheap but middle of the road experienced cat still trying to maybe get a few more years.

TY Hilton is the only veteran on the landscape that I think offers potential contribution if needed (hope not needed), would embrace possibly that veteran role and IMO would not withhold growth of our top two Watson/Doubs and in the slot Reed. HOWEVER, I think what you're seeing Green Bay do is the absolute right call....a guy like T.Y. is probably still gonna be there even entering week 1...Julio could as well be there waiting for injuries and the right call...adding any of these other "vets" merely to have vets when you've clearly chosen to go young I think is counter-intuitive at this moment.

Now sure if we see Watson or Doubs get an injury in pre-season or even Reed or Toure....then calling up a Hilton, a Julio or a veteran that might get cut even in cut downs makes absolute sense as that stop gap guy that at a minimum comes in and doesn't force you to ask Wicks or Dubose or another rookie to swim in the deep end right away.
I just don't really see the need to sign a FA Vet WR at this point. I would rather bank the money and give all the snaps to the guys that currently make up the WR room and will most likely be with the Packers for at least through 2025. Bottom line, I don't think signing a vet WR improves this roster enough to make a difference in 2023.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't really see the need to sign a FA Vet WR at this point. I would rather bank the money and give all the snaps to the guys that currently make up the WR room and will most likely be with the Packers for at least through 2025. Bottom line, I don't think signing a vet WR improves this roster enough to make a difference in 2023.

Like I expounded on, the time you sign a veteran is if issues arises and have to say thrust Dubose and Wicks into full time rolls right away...at that point I could easily see the value of bringing in a mid to low level veteran allows the youngsters a chance to breathe a touch, but also not in any way making a hurdle once guys get back either. Sometimes adding a veteran can be about not letting youngsters drown so they can swim in the future.

All of this of course would be only known if you had intimate knowledge of how the WR is feeling and if they are swimming but merely need a life jacket or if they're in the deep end, exhausted and no life jacket....

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Like I expounded on, the time you sign a veteran is if issues arises and have to say thrust Dubose and Wicks into full time rolls right away...at that point I could easily see the value of bringing in a mid to low level veteran allows the youngsters a chance to breathe a touch, but also not in any way making a hurdle once guys get back either. Sometimes adding a veteran can be about not letting youngsters drown so they can swim in the future.

All of this of course would be only known if you had intimate knowledge of how the WR is feeling and if they are swimming but merely need a life jacket or if they're in the deep end, exhausted and no life jacket....
I think we are on the same page. Go through camp and the preseason and assess the need after final cutdowns and who else is out there.

I'd be all over signing a FA vet WR right now, if Rodgers was the QB and the Packers were Super Bowl contenders, but I just don't see that. Love is a first year starter, with a good knowledge of the playbook, but in need of a lot of game time experience. I feel the same about our 3 sophomore WR's. Besides the 2 RB's, Bahk and Jenkins, this is going to be a very young offense. IF the current top 6 WR's (Watson, Doubs, Reed, Toure, Wicks, DuBose) make it to the final 53 healthy, there shouldn't be a need to bring in a vet WR. There will be plenty of time to mix in Toure, Dubose and Wicks, without the need to bring in a vet who has no familiarity with the Packers offense or with Jordan Love.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we are on the same page. Go through camp and the preseason and assess the need after final cutdowns and who else is out there.

I'd be all over signing a FA vet WR right now, if Rodgers was the QB and the Packers were Super Bowl contenders, but I just don't see that. Love is a first year starter, with a good knowledge of the playbook, but in need of a lot of game time experience. I feel the same about our 3 sophomore WR's. Besides the 2 RB's, Bahk and Jenkins, this is going to be a very young offense. IF the current top 6 WR's (Watson, Doubs, Reed, Toure, Wicks, DuBose) make it to the final 53 healthy, there shouldn't be a need to bring in a vet WR. There will be plenty of time to mix in Toure, Dubose and Wicks, without the need to bring in a vet who has no familiarity with the Packers offense and Love.

I would REALLY love to see a locker room taken over by Clark / Gary / Smith / Jaire as far as who makes certain this team is always focused and attention to detail.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From that list, Robinson and Pringle are interesting to me.
1. They shouldn't cost much.
2. They wouldn't threaten Watson, Doubs, Reed development.
3. They both played with Mahomes.
IMO for Love to be successful he needs to play more like Mahomes than Rodgers or Favre.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts