2024 Salary Cap as related to Free Agency

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
The Safety list gets longer…

Very good Safety. Simmons has remarkably recorded multiple INT in EVERY season since 2016!
2019,2021,22’,2023 4-time ALL-Pro
67.9 PFF grade last season. Former 3rd Rounder listed taller at 6’2.5”, 203lb. Ran an adequate 4.61 and 4.53 at his ProDay X 40 time.
Elite Explosion grades
-40” vertical
3.85 Short shuttle
6.58 3 Cone

He’s played in ALL games in 4 of his 8 seasons. Never played in less than 12 games in any of his 8 seasons so he’s very reliable. 6 of 8 seasons he played 99%-100% snaps
13/16
13/16
16/16
16/16
16/16
17/17
12/17
15/17
This is a guy I’d be very interested in legally tampering with :p

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing I’d warn against that philosophy is that I believe that growth doesn’t just happen in GB (not saying you believe that) It’s one component (and conceivably should be for us due to relative inexperience). All teams are trying to better themselves and we can’t expect the 49ers, Bucs, Vikings, Saints, Detroit … all to remain static.
Agree. And for the right price and structure of contract so can we. We have no reason to be desperate and do something stupid.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing I’d warn against that philosophy is that I believe that growth doesn’t just happen in GB (not saying you believe that) It’s one component (and conceivably should be for us due to relative inexperience). All teams are trying to better themselves and we can’t expect the 49ers, Bucs, Vikings, Saints, Detroit … all to remain static.
The Saints can't remain static. I'm not sure if any team has ever reached the depths of caphell they are currently in. It's comical. I love it. Total fools down there.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For guys like Simmons who have been released, can the Packers and others negotiate with them now or do they still have to wait till the 11th?

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
For guys like Simmons who have been released, can the Packers and others negotiate with them now or do they still have to wait till the 11th?
Not to my knowledge. They have to wait until the threshold dates but neither can anyone else so there’s no hurry either.

We can definitely be fully prepared with our contract offer though. There have been consideration and acceptance of offers inside 10 minutes. There’s also been hefty fines for teams getting jumpy

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to my knowledge. They have to wait until the threshold dates but neither can anyone else so there’s no hurry either.

We can definitely be fully prepared with our contract offer though. There have been consideration and acceptance of offers inside 10 minutes. There’s also been hefty fines for teams getting jumpy
I thought cut players could negotiate any time but I could be wrong. The reason why the others can't is because they are still under contract with their current teams as all contracts expire at midnight of the new league year. Players who have been cut are no longer under contract so they are free to do as they please. Like I said though I could he wrong.

I remember the huge D-lineman ( well I don't remember so well because I can't recall his name) who signed that first 100 million dollar contract with the Redskins. It seemed like that deal was announced a minute after midnight. Of course it's possible there was no prior contact and the Redskins called with the enormous offer at the stroke of midnight and his agent said yes immediately.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I thought cut players could negotiate any time but I could be wrong. The reason why the others can't is because they are still under contract with their current teams as all contracts expire at midnight of the new league year. Players who have been cut are no longer under contract so they are free to do as they please. Like I said though I could he wrong.

I remember the huge D-lineman ( well I don't remember so well because I can't recall his name) who signed that first 100 million dollar contract with the Redskins. It seemed like that deal was announced a minute after midnight. Of course it's possible there was no prior contact and the Redskins called with the enormous offer at the stroke of midnight and his agent said yes immediately.
You are correct. My only question is if that player has less than four accrued seasons, do they have to clear waivers first? My guess is yes, they do have to clear waivers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yikes. Chris Jones's new deal with the Chiefs just made Kenny Clark smile. I like Kenny, but no way should the Packers give him anywhere near the deal Jones got.

It is being reported that Jones is signing a five-year deal worth nearly $160 million, which includes $95 million fully guaranteed.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yikes. Chris Jones's new deal with the Chiefs just made Kenny Clark smile. I like Kenny, but no way should the Packers give him anywhere near the deal Jones got.

It is being reported that Jones is signing a five-year deal worth nearly $160 million, which includes $95 million fully guaranteed.
Wow. Jones is not a young guy either. 2027 and 2028 are going to be quite the challenge for KC management when Jones has nothing in the tank but still is eating 20M in dead cap.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Campbell being released

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240310_195522_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20240310_195522_X.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 24

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So now, theoretically, the Packers have an option to actually hold on to Bakhtiari if they choose and wait to see if any trade offers roll in between now and the October trade deadline. This is working under the assumption that they are not interested in participating in free agency before April 1. They've still got guys like Orzech, Newman and Toure that could possibly be jettisoned.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So now, theoretically, the Packers have an option to actually hold on to Bakhtiari if they choose and wait to see if any trade offers roll in between now and the October trade deadline. This is working under the assumption that they are not interested in participating in free agency before April 1. They've still got guys like Orzech, Newman and Toure that could possibly be jettisoned.
Bak's gone too.

Spring housecleaning day, apparently. They may have a FA signing in mind.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
Bak's gone too.

Spring housecleaning day, apparently. They may have a FA signing in mind.
Yeah. Sad story the way he ended with us. He seems like a good dude,
I wish him the very best.

This was just the right move unless he was going to sign near minimum on a prove it deal. Nothing personal at all but we don’t need distractions right now and this has become a distraction for 3 seasons. I’ll take my chances

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. Sad story the way he ended with us. He seems like a good dude,
I wish him the very best.

This was just the right move unless he was going to sign near minimum on a prove it deal. Nothing personal at all but we don’t need distractions right now and this has become ayou distraction for 3 seasons. I’ll take my chances
I don't know ifyou had audio on when you looked at his goodbye tweet, but the background music was Frank Sinatra's "My Way." Makes me wonder if he andthe Packers already have a heads-up that the knee is not going according to plan, and his next step will be to announce his retirement

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He said he plans on playing in '24. I don't see it. Didn't gutey say he was further away from playing than they thought

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
I’d still like to grab one more lower priced FA Safety (Micah area).
That would allow the Packers to hone in at LB early in this draft, plus another premier Defender such as a CB to shore up the secondary. If we had DeJean and Hyde come aboard, plus added a LB like Cooper? We’d have 3 players added that I believe could start Week 1.

Last edited:

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that the Packers would bring in Hyde, a guy that would be entering his 12th year in the league, and is going to turn 34 years old before the end of the season. This team is in a youth movement, and has 1 guy over 30 on the roster (Preston Smith, 31) Hyde's last two seasons, he had a PFF grade of 68.4 in 2022, and it dropped to 64.4 last year. In comparison, Savage had a better PFF last year, and ya'll wanted his head on a platter.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that the Packers would bring in Hyde, a guy that would be entering his 12th year in the league, and is going to turn 34 years old before the end of the season. This team is in a youth movement, and has 1 guy over 30 on the roster (Preston Smith, 31) Hyde's last two seasons, he had a PFF grade of 68.4 in 2022, and it dropped to 64.4 last year. In comparison, Savage had a better PFF last year, and ya'll wanted his head on a platter.
Ok. How about Tracy Walker on a low priced 1-2 yr prove it

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Ok. How about Tracy Walker on a low priced 1-2 yr prove it
He's 4 years younger than Hyde (29), but his PFF has been worse. Since 2019, Walker hasn't had a PFF over 64, aside for 2022 when he only played 3 games. Now PFF isn't the be all, end all, but it does have it's uses, and trends say a lot.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's 4 years younger than Hyde (29), but his PFF has been worse. Since 2019, Walker hasn't had a PFF over 64, aside for 2022 when he only played 3 games. Now PFF isn't the be all, end all, but it does have it's uses, and trends say a lot.

My very limited information on PFF is that while their methods may be flawed it seems they treat everyone equally. So while you may not agree that Person A deserves the grade they got you can't really complain about his comparison to player B. Now I admit I may be completely off on this. I've never been on their site and I've never seen their methods. I just see numbers that other people post.