Packers sign Guion to 3 year deal

D

Deleted member 6794

Adam Caplan is reporting the Packers and Guion have agreed to the deal.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Would you rather pay Guion for his good play towards the end of the season, or Raji for his good play at the beginning of the season? And Guion is the cheaper of the two. Here's part of what McGinn had to say about Guion:
He looked more like a weight-lifter than a football player. Starting with Game 14, he turned his season around and now has to be under consideration for another contract. Guion's pass rush was a major disappointment, especially considering he moved outside from NT last year. His pressure total crashed from 16 to 3 1/2. However, Guion finished second on the unit in tackles per snap (one every 8.3), and some of his play in goal-line and short-yardage was stunning. Grade: C-plus.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...eport-card-defense-b99656529z1-366332901.html

If he plays like he did toward the end of the year and stays out of jail this off season, I don't think they overpaid him. I wonder how much of the $11.25M is third year compensation?

[Dripping sarcasm] Thank goodness they conducted that magic ceremony which converts "problem players" into "Packer people". They should televise that. [/sarcasm]

Reaction score

I think it also is a tad expensive especially with what he played for last year. Would have rathered keep it under 10M but I love the signing for the reason that it helps us not worry about DT or NT early in the draft. We can focus on our other two big spots ILB and TE. I hear DL is deep this year and we could maybe catch a TT late round magic. I am assuming this means Raji was also asking over the 5m mark

D

Deleted member 6794

Would you rather pay Guion for his good play towards the end of the season, or Raji for his good play at the beginning of the season? And Guion is the cheaper of the two. Here's part of what

Well, there´s no doubt Guion´s play improved at the end of the season. I hope paying him an average of $3.75 million per season based on five good games doesn´t backfire though.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A tad bit expensive, but if this deal gets Guion to step up, I'm all for it. You also have to think the Packers probably structured the deal in their favor to cut their losses if he can't stay out of trouble too.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, there´s no doubt Guion´s play improved at the end of the season. I hope paying him an average of $3.75 million per season based on five good games doesn´t backfire though.
Agreed but what is his compensation for the first two years? And what incentives are in the contract?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I'd need details, but i don't think it's out of line, especially with the message and direction of the team. To sign away another FA of similar quality will probably take the same money, so is it "really" out of line? and he was on a prove it type deal, and I think he played pretty well. He's not a super star, but he's not making super star money either. Our FO is consistent with how they deal with and pay players relatively speaking when you look around the rest of the league.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That's a lot of weed! :coffee:

But I do like the signing. IMO, the Packers could not afford to loose both Guion and Raji, so this puts a bit less pressure on locking up Raji.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if nothing else, at least we know that one of our DT's will be back. More depth etc. Remember, Guion got off to a slow start this past year. He was suspended for the first 4 games wasn't he? Or 2? But yeah, he didn't exactly get off to a great start. Things happen.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barring specifics of the deal, kind of reminds me of the Brad Jones contract extension. A bit of a head-scratching move IMO.
what about it don't you like? I mean, I'm not a huge Guion supporter, but i don't think the contract amount is outlandish for the production we've gotten. He's started slow each of the past 2 seasons, one because of injury and he made the team without even practicing and last year because of suspension, but I thought he was an above average player on that line after a couple weeks of playing time.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like a very reasonable deal to me, and I'm glad at least one of our big fellas is definitely coming back.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The other part of this signing that might be in play for TT is that by signing Guion ahead of Raji, it sets the stage for what they are willing to pay BJ, which I assume won't be a lot more then what Guion is getting. Had they let Guion go, Raji's value to the Packers probably goes up quite a bit.

What will it take to keep Raji in peoples opinions?

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what about it don't you like? I mean, I'm not a huge Guion supporter, but i don't think the contract amount is outlandish for the production we've gotten. He's started slow each of the past 2 seasons, one because of injury and he made the team without even practicing and last year because of suspension, but I thought he was an above average player on that line after a couple weeks of playing time.
Well before he signed here two years ago, he was never much more than an average player, and for the most part last year he actually graded out as below average according to PFF.

I understand it's good to bring back some D-Line depth and he probably did come at a relative discount for similar numbers this past year when compared to Raji. It's just signing a guy like this who's always been seemingly kind of "just hanging on" in the NFL to a multi-year contract extension makes me wonder how much is guaranteed in years two and three of the deal.

Giving $12 million to any player is probably nevery going to be a terrible signing, but I think it's fair to question if the money could be spent better elsewhere.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That's a lot of weed! :coffee:
But according to his father, he only buys the best stuff so... :D

Seriously, if Guion goes back inside "full time" with Pennel they're somewhat covered at NT. As to Raji, once again that's a difficult choice. Paying the early season Raji would make sense if you believed he'll stay motivated. Paying the later season Raji what he's probably looking for is dicey and concern about his motivation over a multi-year contract is a constant. Here's McGinn grade for Raji and his rationale:
Started out like gangbusters as if it were 2010 all over again, dominating the Seahawks' interior in Game 2. Suffered a groin injury in Game 5, returned in Game 7 and just kind of held the fort until he began feeling and moving better in December. Started at NT in base and played some early downs in sub. Finished with six pressures, just 1 1/2 fewer than the last time he played (2013) but a far cry from '10, when he posted 33 1/2 in astronomical 85% play time. He's a consistent, smart, committed anchor against the run. He'll be unrestricted come March. Grade: B-minus.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...eport-card-defense-b99656529z1-366332901.html

If the team could be assured Raji would remain a "consistent, smart, committed anchor against the run", it'd make the decision much easier.

BTW, the Packers have Datone, Daniels, Guion, Pennel, and Boyd signed for 2016. They also have 6’5”, 330 pound William Campbell who has been kicking around the NFL since 2013. The Packers list him as DT which he played at Michigan but was switched to OL as an NFL rookie. I have zero expectations for him, just thought I'd mention him.

Last edited:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like more money than I would have thought but not by much. I would have guessed 3 years for 8-10. Over the length of the deal that really isnt a huge difference. It is nice to get one of the two signed early.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Was it a contract or extension? Does this count as a free agent? Does some of it count towards this season's cap? Does it mean he's learned to carry his cash and herbs separate?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he plays like he did toward the end of the year and stays out of jail
Huge "ifs" imo. The Packers should know more about his character than anyone, but he appears to be a crime scene in waiting.

Members online

Latest posts