2024 Salary Cap as related to Free Agency

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that the Packers would bring in Hyde, a guy that would be entering his 12th year in the league, and is going to turn 34 years old before the end of the season. This team is in a youth movement, and has 1 guy over 30 on the roster (Preston Smith, 31) Hyde's last two seasons, he had a PFF grade of 68.4 in 2022, and it dropped to 64.4 last year. In comparison, Savage had a better PFF last year, and ya'll wanted his head on a platter.
I said “like” Hyde. Not “only” Hyde
There’s a host of FA Safeties available to plug a hole on a 1yr deal. I’m also ok with drafting a Safety in that top 25-91 area to pair with Xavier. No objection there. If there’s a surplus at a position take advantage of the cheap 1 yr deal

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I was reading this article today (linked below) and was reminded just how young the Packers team is and how they have gotten even younger by releasing Bahk, Jones and Campbell.

With this youth movement comes a roster that is a lot cheaper than carrying a lot of overpaid Vets. This was a really striking statement and it is talking about after the 2024 season and going into 2025:

"It's the final year with the 2022 draft class under rookie contracts. The heavy free agency class will include linebacker Quay Walker, defensive tackle Devonte Wyatt, wide receivers Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs, along with offensive linemen Sean Rhyan, Zach Tom and Rasheed Walker. The combined cap hit in 2025 for those starters will only reach around $16.4 million."

That is just phenomenal. 7 players in Gutes 2022 draft that for the most part were starting quality in 2023, their 2nd season and in 2025 will add up to a cap hit of $16.4M! Also, that draft class included Kingsley Enagbare and Toure, 2 players that have seen quite a few snaps between them. I think if Enagbare can come back from his torn ACL, he will see even more snaps in the future.

Now toss in the 2023 draft class and well its rainbows, sunshine and unicorns for the Packers. Maybe a bit too early to declare that class a huge success, but hard not to.

Anyone who thought Gute should be fired, please step forward and raise your hand.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I was reading this article today (linked below) and was reminded just how young the Packers team is and how they have gotten even younger by releasing Bahk, Jones and Campbell.

With this youth movement comes a roster that is a lot cheaper than carrying a lot of overpaid Vets. This was a really striking statement and it is talking about after the 2024 season and going into 2025:

"It's the final year with the 2022 draft class under rookie contracts. The heavy free agency class will include linebacker Quay Walker, defensive tackle Devonte Wyatt, wide receivers Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs, along with offensive linemen Sean Rhyan, Zach Tom and Rasheed Walker. The combined cap hit in 2025 for those starters will only reach around $16.4 million."

That is just phenomenal. 7 players in Gutes 2022 draft that for the most part were starting quality in 2023, their 2nd season and in 2025 will add up to a cap hit of $16.4M! Also, that draft class included Kingsley Enagbare and Toure, 2 players that have seen quite a few snaps between them. I think if Enagbare can come back from his torn ACL, he will see even more snaps in the future.

Now toss in the 2023 draft class and well its rainbows, sunshine and unicorns for the Packers. Maybe a bit too early to declare that class a huge success, but hard not to.

Anyone who thought Gute should be fired, please step forward and raise your hand.

The only thing we'll see or hear is crickets chirping.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
After the free agent signings, the Packers are in pretty decent shape Cap wise.

According to Over The Cap, the Packers have $24.56 million in cap space, the 11th-most in the NFL.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

According to Over The Cap, the Packers have $24.56 million in cap space, the 11th-most in the NFL.

Shaping up extremely well in my opinion.
We get some nice improvements from our 2nd and 3rd year guys with 11 draft picks coming and hoped for back to normal levels from Jenkins and Gary who are now a full season removed from serious injury. I really can't think of one single reason to be anything less than very optimistic. We are on a fantastic trajectory imo.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I saw thatg earlier today also, and I was shocked. I hadn't been trying to keep close track of the cap, but I was doing some mental math and trying to keep a running total using some of the info from the start of last week, and didn't think it was anywhere near that.

I'm sure some of that is earmarked for Love, and maybe frontloading contracts for a couple other young players (and of course, you still have a draft class to sign next month, and you need some for in-season free agents), but it sounds like we may be able to add a linebacker or another safety after all.

Plus, we get another $10.5M back on June 1 when Campbell is off the books, and we're projected to be $60,000,000 under in 2025. Obviously Love will get a lot of that, but still - I don't know how Gute did this, but damn. I'm impressed.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that estimation is counting Campbell savings now and not post June. No?

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that estimation is counting Campbell savings now and not post June. No?
Yes, supposedly it is. So we would still get another 10.5 June 1.

There does appear to be one error, though - it seems to be pre-Nixon contract. OTC has updated the table, and we're now at 21.9 (13th in the league).

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said “like” Hyde. Not “only” Hyde
There’s a host of FA Safeties available to plug a hole on a 1yr deal. I’m also ok with drafting a Safety in that top 25-91 area to pair with Xavier. No objection there. If there’s a surplus at a position take advantage of the cheap 1 yr deal

Justin Simmons is still out there. He could provide leadership, production, and experience.

There is a connection with Simmons, an alumni out of Boston College, and Hafley former HC of Boston College to facilitate a 1 year deal.

Never sniffing the playoffs has to be a motivating factor as well.

Grooming a safety drafted in the 2-3 round, would solidify the back-end of the secondary.

This would help GB's lack of elite pass rushers to get to the opposing QB, raising the % of coverage sacks.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Justin Simmons is still out there. He could provide leadership, production, and experience.

There is a connection with Simmons, an alumni out of Boston College, and Hafley former HC of Boston College to facilitate a 1 year deal.

Never sniffing the playoffs has to be a motivating factor as well.

Grooming a safety drafted in the 2-3 round, would solidify the back-end of the secondary.

This would help GB's lack of elite pass rushers to get to the opposing QB, raising the % of coverage sacks.
I think Gutekunst would love to get Simmons, but not at the list price. At age 30, he probaby wants one more really good contract - like 2 years, $10M per. Nobody's paid him that yet, and I doubt Gutekunst would even consider it, but the longer he dangles out there, the more he may come down on price. I'm not sure what Gute's sweet spot would be for him, but somewhere in between there's a number they can both agree on. I'd be happy if they find it.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
I think Gutekunst would love to get Simmons, but not at the list price. At age 30, he probaby wants one more really good contract - like 2 years, $10M per. Nobody's paid him that yet, and I doubt Gutekunst would even consider it, but the longer he dangles out there, the more he may come down on price. I'm not sure what Gute's sweet spot would be for him, but somewhere in between there's a number they can both agree on. I'd be happy if they find it.
Yes. Sometimes the best deals are worth waiting and generally speaking, their prices are falling $30,000+ daily on their overall contract. Wait a few weeks and we’d likely get a good player much cheaper. We do have 11 picks which I think is one of the most in the league. I’d be patient and grab one more deal around the draft give or take.
As a backup? There will be a few good players anxious to get on a roster post draft. Also there will be trade deadline options at prorated amounts. We should hold our $ for a lower priced, but starter capable option

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
According to Pete Daugherty, as of today the Packers are $23Mil under salary cap.
That should still give us room for a couple smaller level signings IF the price is right.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
According to Pete Daugherty, as of today the Packers are $23Mil under salary cap.
That should still give us room for a couple smaller level signings IF the price is right.
Also keep in mind that Jordan's current contract is a $12.7M hit on the cap. If they give him a new deal and wanted to, they could reduce that hit in 2024. Should they reduce it, keep it the same or maybe push less forward and take more of the hit in 2024? I guess that depends on what they want to do this season and the next few with their cap.

While I want to think that this team is ready to compete for a Super Bowl in 2024, I wouldn't want them putting all their eggs in that basket. Key injuries, stunted development, etc. can change things fast, so they should keep some bullets in the chamber for 2025 and beyond.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
While I want to think that this team is ready to compete for a Super Bowl in 2024, I wouldn't want them putting all their eggs in that basket. Key injuries, stunted development, etc. can change things fast, so they should keep some bullets in the chamber for 2025 and beyond.
For myself, This was the perfect message theme for this week.

I can also relate to the part about stunted development! ..thank you for the reminders!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Still sitting pretty darn good on the Cap, as well as what the Packers are currently due to spend on their 2024 roster (3rd lowest in the NFL). Obviously, as the article points out, Jordan Love's new contract will greatly impact things. Still though, a young team with some budding stars, 11 draft picks, things are looking up for the Packers.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers currently have almost $22mil cap space. After 6/01 Campbell's cut frees up another $10mil. The rookie pool (with current picks) stands at $12mil...leaving GB with roughly $20mil left in early June.

An extension of Clark could free up a nice chunk of cap ($7-$10mil from his current $27mil cap hit). Extending Love to a massive contract could use up substantial amount unless Gute chooses to push cap well into the future.

Regardless, there should be decent $ available to plug depth holes as GB kicks off another extended SB run.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
An extension of Clark could free up a nice chunk of cap ($7-$10mil from his current $27mil cap hit).
I'm on the fence with Clark. No doubt he is a very good player, but a DL player getting paid $30M/year is too much to tie up in the cap for me. He would have to be someone who is totally destructive and impactful and I just don't see that out of Clark on a consistent basis. I won't be surprised to see Gute go after his replacement in the draft.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm on the fence with Clark. No doubt he is a very good player, but a DL player getting paid $30M/year is too much to tie up in the cap for me. He would have to be someone who is totally destructive and impactful and I just don't see that out of Clark on a consistent basis. I won't be surprised to see Gute go after his replacement in the draft.
Agreed. Clark already counts $13.747mil dead money in '25 IF they don't extend him so not sure how much Gute should add to that for a 29 yr old DT? May be time to move on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agreed. Clark already counts $13.747mil dead money in '25 IF they don't extend him so not sure how much Gute should add to that for a 29 yr old DT? May be time to move on.
I'm really thinking Kenny is going to want Chris Jones like money:
$30M signing bonus, $95M guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $31.750M.

Honestly, if the Chiefs offered Jones up in a trade, I wouldn't want him on that contract. Nor would I want the Packers to keep Kenny, if it was around that much to do so.

I might even think about trading him now, if they could get a top 25 pick for him in this draft or even a 2025 first rounder from one of the perennial door matt teams.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score

Honestly, if the Chiefs offered Jones up in a trade, I wouldn't want him on that contract. Nor would I want the Packers to keep Kenny, if it was around that much to do so.

I might even think about trading him now, if they could get a top 25 pick for him in this draft or even a 2025 first rounder from one of the perennial door matt teams.
If there is a DT along the lines of
J. Newton or the Longhorns Byron Murphy II (I fully realize I’m wishing) I’d seriously consider using that #25 on them. It would allow us to not get pigeon holed with limited option concerning Clark. I think he’s a very good iDL. No where close to $30mil though

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Extremely good defensive tackles are very hard to find. Imo, they are going to be one of the more impactful players in the league. A big bad tackle can screw up opposing offenses run and pass games. Imo, the best are worth $30M per year. They are worth infinitely more than some WR2 imo. Some of those guys are now making way too much money for their 65 catches a year.