2024 Salary Cap as related to Free Agency

Reaction score
We’ve come partial circle into a season where Brian has spoke to us being moderately active in FA.

I’ve seen a few estimates on our Salary Cap position and while we obviously show we are temporarily severely negative, we also have some of our biggest contracts up for negotiating. Without getting into particulars, that 7-8 players either being restructured (such as Jones) or traded or cut, such as Bak or Campbell, plus Maximizing Void years. I’m not necessarily supporting full use of Max void contracts and or push too much $$ into forward years. I’m only reiterating that it’s possible to be active in FA again, arguably to some degree.

The higher, optimistic number that came up was +$50Mil area, but I would imagine a more reasonable $cap$ number is around 50% of that neighborhood if the right player is available. It still leaves an area of near 50% of that $50mil ceiling to utilize without getting too crazy.

These are several examples I could see Gutey implement in FA if we want to be semi-aggressive and push forward getting some substantial talent from outside FA.

A. 1 high echelon player brought in
(Call it an DB, Antoine Winfield Jr signing or LB, Patrick Queen)

B. 2 Mid-tier+ tier Starters. (E.g.RB Saquon Barkley AND DB Kamren Curl)

C. A high echelon and Lower echelon FA starter Combo. E,g, a $18mil yearly +$6mil yearly deal(s)

If you had… call it, $20-$25mil yearly to spend? which position(s) or player(s) would you like to go after from outside FA??

Last edited:

Rob Crosby Music

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now we know we have our future Qback and receivers. For God's sake, don't let Aaron Jones go !
And Plllleeeaaaassse say goodbye to Bakhtiari !!!!! He's been a total waste of money. We could use more (dependable) depth on offensive line. AJ Dillon proved himself again this year. Wilson is a great 3rd running back. We're poised to go all the way this year !

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
Now we know we have our future Qback and receivers. For God's sake, don't let Aaron Jones go !
And Plllleeeaaaassse say goodbye to Bakhtiari !!!!! He's been a total waste of money. We could use more (dependable) depth on offensive line. AJ Dillon proved himself again this year. Wilson is a great 3rd running back. We're poised to go all the way this year !
Yes. :laugh:

Hopefully Wilson will be a great 4th RB. Although it’s super feasible he’s our RB3 simply due to attrition.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we're going to swing big, then I'd like to see, if available, Chris Jones, Patrick Queen, or Winfield. Perhaps an All-Pro caliber offensive lineman if available.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be fine with B or C especially in the safety position. I'd almost prefer that they build out the safety position in free agency and then tackle OL, RB, LB with the 1st 5 picks rather than having to get multiple safety bodies in the draft.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
I'd be fine with B or C especially in the safety position. I'd almost prefer that they build out the safety position in free agency and then tackle OL, RB, LB with the 1st 5 picks rather than having to get multiple safety bodies in the draft.
That’s similar to my thought also. Signing a veteran FA puts less stress on doubling down on that position from the draft.
I will say that LB is a position where you can often have good initial success inside 4 Rounds. The meat of the really good iLB in this draft seems to fall between mid Round 2 and early Rd4 area. That also nearly perfectly aligns with the volume of selections we have.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I can't agree with this more. Safety was a huge weakness for the Packers in 2023. Sure you could get lucky and spend a 1st or a 2nd round pick on one and he's an impact player right away, but the odds of that happening are low. Plus, you need 2 safeties, so the "safer" way to go after the problem is sign at least one proven, quality FA Vet safety. This and CB are going to be positions they want to improve through both the draft and free agency.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
I can't agree with this more. Safety was a huge weakness for the Packers in 2023. Sure you could get lucky and spend a 1st or a 2nd round pick on one and he's an impact player right away, but the odds of that happening are low. Plus, you need 2 safeties, so the "safer" way to go after the problem is sign at least one proven, quality FA Vet safety. This and CB are going to be positions they want to improve through both the draft and free agency.
A high caliber, veteran Safety fixes beaucoup. Then we can wait until that 3rd-5th Round area to get another Safety imo. I’m also ok with a high $$ dollar one ~$15mil neighborhood, if we think he’s a bonafide difference maker. We need our version of a Charles Woodson, veteran impact leader.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A high caliber, veteran Safety fixes beaucoup. Then we can wait until that 3rd-5th Round area to get another Safety imo. I’m also ok with a high $$ dollar one ~$15mil neighborhood, if we think he’s a bonafide difference maker. We need our version of a Charles Woodson, veteran impact leader.
That price would get us a Sneed or a Curl. I honestly have not seen enough of either of them this year to say how much of a game-changer they would be.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That price would get us a Sneed or a Curl. I honestly have not seen enough of either of them this year to say how much of a game-changer they would be.
The other important factor with Free Agent shopping is competition. I haven't a clue what the other 31 teams are needing, including how many will be seeking a quality safety. The good news for the Packers, the potential supply of decent FA Safeties could be deep this year. Obviously, some of these guys will agree to new deals with their current teams, but hopefully it will be a buyers market.

1) Antoine Winfield Jr.
2) Xavier McKinney
3) Kamren Curl
4) Kyle Dugger
5) Geno Stone
6) Julian Blackmon
7) Jordan Whitehead
8) Jordan Fuller
9) DeShon Elliott
10) Chauncey Gardner-Johnson

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Ideally, I'd like for us to sign Winfield but the competition for him will be fierce. If somehow we got him, and our board wasn't screaming for us to take 1 particular guy available, trading 25 for 35 and 69 sounds like a nice option.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
The other important factor with Free Agent shopping is competition. I haven't a clue what the other 31 teams are needing, including how many will be seeking a quality safety. The good news for the Packers, the potential supply of decent FA Safeties could be deep this year. Obviously, some of these guys will agree to new deals with their current teams, but hopefully it will be a buyers market.

1) Antoine Winfield Jr.
2) Xavier McKinney
3) Kamren Curl
4) Kyle Dugger
5) Geno Stone
6) Julian Blackmon
7) Jordan Whitehead
8) Jordan Fuller
9) DeShon Elliott
10) Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
The other factor is $$. Our primary need is Safety and we should have the money this year. Point being some teams won’t have $17-18Mil yearly to dish out for a premier Safety. They’ll be like our past seasons. Either no significant $ to spend OR needing multiple positions in FA because they can’t expect to plug all their holes in the draft.

We have 6 top #125 selections and 3 Top #58. If we attack it right in FA we can narrow our D positional focus. Imagine having Winfield, then we can wait a little bit for that James Williams type player to back it up. Which frees up those earlier picks to go after a CB or Stellar LB to pair with Quay. Imagine
Lassiter, Stokes, Alexander, Nixon, Valentine with Winfield Jr, James Williams (Miami) Tykee Smith (Georgia) and Ford behind them. Then in the middle paring Junior Colson with Quay Walker.

This is very possible if we plug a Free Agent or 2 in the mix

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Defensive side of the ball. We need Safeties, and 4-3 ILB with experience that is how I would spend FA money

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ideally, I'd like for us to sign Winfield but the competition for him will be fierce. If somehow we got him, and our board wasn't screaming for us to take 1 particular guy available, trading 25 for 35 and 69 sounds like a nice option.
Sounds like TB is optimistic that they will resign Winfield and if not, will put the franchise tag on him. If he inks a new deal, he could end up being the highest paid safety in the NFL.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like TB is optimistic that they will resign Winfield and if not, will put the franchise tag on him. If he inks a new deal, he could end up being the highest paid safety in the NFL.

I don't necessarily see Winfield becoming a real option in FA

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Nor do I and sadly, he will probably be setting a high ceiling for what a quality S gets, which might up the price for any FA Safety that the Packers try to sign.

Speaking of TB Free Agents, would the Packers even think about giving up on Anders and trying to sign FA Kicker, Chase McLaughlin? Chase was a perfect 33 of 33 on XP's and 29 of 31 on FG's during the 2023 regular season. His 2 misses were blocked. Committing the kind of money that it would take to sign him, unless it wasn't a fully guaranteed deal, would basically end Carlson's career in GB.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
I believe spending top FA money at LB would be improper use of funds this year. Only position I'd welcome big money in would be safety personally.
That makes sense. I like the idea of being smart about the $$. We’d probably be better off spending a Day2 pick there.

Do you think we’ll go after a Safety or try to retain Savage? I personally don’t think he’s worth more than $5Mil or so from a value standpoint. Although I suppose that depends on who’s available at what cost.
Darnell is a bit too complacent for me and he only shows up sporadically in a few games yearly.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That makes sense. I like the idea of being smart about the $$. We’d probably be better off spending a Day2 pick there.

Do you think we’ll go after a Safety or try to retain Savage? I personally don’t think he’s worth more than $5Mil or so from a value standpoint. Although I suppose that depends on who’s available at what cost.
Darnell is a bit too complacent for me and he only shows up sporadically in a few games yearly.

I strongly think Gute will do Gute and assume a couple veterans will get signed into that Safety room before the draft...that could include one or two of our past guys in Ford/Owens/Savage or could be a veteran cap cut like a Quandre Diggs from Seattle or someone else.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
I strongly think Gute will do Gute and assume a couple veterans will get signed into that Safety room before the draft...that could include one or two of our past guys in Ford/Owens/Savage or could be a veteran cap cut like a Quandre Diggs from Seattle or someone else.
Gotcha I was just curious your thoughts thanks.

From my perspective. I liked what we saw from Anthony Johnson in his Rookie season. I’d prefer we keep Ford or Owens and go find a definitive UPGRADE for Savage outside. That takes pressure off from using one of our first few draft picks at Safety or even at all. Do that and take a stab at Safety in Day3 (if one has good value) where there’s a sizable clump of choices. That’s such an important position and we’ve not put emphasis on it since Amos departed imo. I’d prefer one that participated in Run stop and doesn’t hide like Savage. lol
I’m sorry but it’s true he often waits for someone to make a play. Big disappointment for a Day1 Safety. We get about $3-4Mil in plays from Savage yearly and I’m feeling overly generous today. I’ll take my chances elsewhere. Clinton Dix was a better relative disappointment :laugh:

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not for the 5/$18M I've seen suggested. I think it would be foolish; we can't afford to buy the best safety in the entire solar system. We'd have the highest paid safety in the NFL, and the highest paid cornerback. I feel that's putting a disproportianate percentage of our salary cap on basically one unit.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotcha I was just curious your thoughts thanks.

From my perspective. I liked what we saw from Anthony Johnson in his Rookie season. I’d prefer we keep Ford or Owens and go find a definitive UPGRADE for Savage outside. That takes pressure off from using one of our first few draft picks at Safety or even at all. Do that and take a stab at Safety in Day3 (if one has good value) where there’s a sizable clump of choices. That’s such an important position and we’ve not put emphasis on it since Amos departed imo. I’d prefer one that participated in Run stop and doesn’t hide like Savage. lol
I’m sorry but it’s true he often waits for someone to make a play. Big disappointment for a Day1 Safety. We get about $3-4Mil in plays from Savage yearly and I’m feeling overly generous today. I’ll take my chances elsewhere. Clinton Dix was a better relative disappointment :laugh:

Savage would be a home run had he been a Day3 still, his problem is as progression never really hit.

The issue though is was it system we ran and it restricted what he does best or did he the player just never grow?

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Savage would be a home run had he been a Day3 still, his problem is as progression never really hit.

The issue though is was it system we ran and it restricted what he does best or did he the player just never grow?
And is that a question we can ever really be sure we have the answer to before we have to make the call on paying him or letting him go?

Is this a case where a "prove-it" deal would be appropriate to see what Hafley can do with him, or do we even have any leverage in this circumstance to ask him to consider such a deal? He's only 26, and has shown a number of flashes over the years. Seems he wouldn't have much trouble finding a team that's willing to go 3 years with him.