2024 Salary Cap as related to Free Agency

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Extremely good defensive tackles are very hard to find. Imo, they are going to be one of the more impactful players in the league.
While I agree that the top player at every position is hard to find, my point is, are they worth having to pay them top money? Also, I don't consider Kenny C to be a top 10 NFL player at his position. Probably not even top 20. Add to that, he will be 28 in October and already has 8 NFL seasons on his body. His game is probably trending down, rather than up. I would prefer to steer clear of any big long term contracts with him. Keep him around, but only if the numbers make sense and an exit strategy is there, if his abilities take a nose dive.

I am a big Davante Adams fan, but I am glad that the Packers didn't get tied into his new contract. I believe their current receiving room, including TE's makes less than Davante. Great player, but tying up that kind of money on 1 guy, other than a QB? No thanks.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
While I agree that the top player at every position is hard to find, my point is, are they worth having to pay them top money? Also, I don't consider Kenny C to be a top 10 NFL player at his position. Probably not even top 20. Add to that, he will be 28 in October and already has 8 NFL seasons on his body. His game is probably trending down, rather than up. I would prefer to steer clear of any big long term contracts with him. Keep him around, but only if the numbers make sense and an exit strategy is there, if his abilities take a nose dive.

I am a big Davante Adams fan, but I am glad that the Packers didn't get tied into his new contract. I believe their current receiving room, including TE's makes less than Davante. Great player, but tying up that kind of money on 1 guy, other than a QB? No thanks.
Yes. For me anyway, It’s called the old Eggs in a Basket. If I can get 3-4 players for the price of 1 Big contract I’m going that route. There are a few exceptions such as an Aaron Donald type player at his prime. The issue with these guys isn’t assumed impact as much as projected reliability. If Davante Adams isn’t on the field for 1/2 season it’s a colossal loss of value imo. Give me a WR who is 90% of him at $18Mil. Another 2 WR’s that are solid WR2-3 types at $4-8Mil. There’s my $29 Mil but if one goes down? I like my chances better than if Davante goes down.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes. For me anyway, It’s called the old Eggs in a Basket. If I can get 3-4 players for the price of 1 Big contract I’m going that route. There are a few exceptions such as an Aaron Donald type player at his prime. The issue with these guys isn’t assumed impact as much as projected reliability. If Davante Adams isn’t on the field for 1/2 season it’s a colossal loss of value imo. Give me a WR who is 90% of him at $18Mil. Another 2 WR’s that are solid WR2-3 types at $4-8Mil. There’s my $29 Mil but if one goes down? I like my chances better than if Davante goes down.
Spot on.

A good cautionary tale is Bahk and to some extent, Rodgers. With the NFL contracts shifting to a ton up guaranteed money for top players, signing one can really put a stranglehold on your cap. As you correctly point out, might be better to spread that risk/investment over several players.

Jaire is a guy that may and I hope proves me wrong, but making him the top CB in the league, never sat well with me. Second contracts for big money are a little bit easier to stomach, at least you have a guy that physically, is still in his prime.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree that the top player at every position is hard to find, my point is, are they worth having to pay them top money? Also, I don't consider Kenny C to be a top 10 NFL player at his position. Probably not even top 20. Add to that, he will be 28 in October...
Don't want to perpetuate an error as we discuss Clark... his B-day is 10/04/1995 which has him turning 29 yrs old by game 6 this year.

Imho, let him play out this year, move on in '25, & we'll take the '26 4th or 5th Rnd comp pick. I love Clark, but fear a bigger 3yr deal & then an injury screws the cap, again.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't want to perpetuate an error as we discuss Clark... his B-day is 10/04/1995 which has him turning 29 yrs old by game 6 this year.

Imho, let him play out this year, move on in '25, & we'll take the '26 4th or 5th Rnd comp pick. I love Clark, but fear a bigger 3yr deal & then an injury screws the cap, again.
We better start picking some big fast interior Linemen if we plan to let Clark go.... This year and next year. Clark is a great player, and has earned a reasonable extension imo.

Whether or not he wants to be reasonable? That's a different question.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
We better start picking some big fast interior Linemen if we plan to let Clark go.... This year and next year. Clark is a great player, and has earned a reasonable extension imo.

Yeah. It’s not as much about Clark’s ability as it is about how much ability you can buy elsewhere is we retain mega contract $$$ + the bonus he likely nets us a 4th Rounder bonus. It’s not uncommon at all to get into a ZaDarius Smith fiasco if we’re not careful.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

My thinking as well. This is why I fully expect two DL to get drafted and I hope 1 is in the first three rounds.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. It’s not as much about Clark’s ability as it is about how much ability you can buy elsewhere is we retain mega contract $$$ + the bonus he likely nets us a 4th Rounder bonus. It’s not uncommon at all to get into a ZaDarius Smith fiasco if we’re not careful.

Clark leaving in FA, could be a legit contender for a third round comp

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Zadarius leaving in FA, could be a legit contender for a third round comp
Packers cut Za'darius, thus nothing towards a compensatory pick. Maybe you meant if Clark left via FA? No doubt he would be a 3rd, 4th at worst. That is, if the Packers don't sign someone that offsets it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers cut Za'darius, thus nothing towards a compensatory pick. Maybe you meant if Clark left via FA? No doubt he would be a 3rd, 4th at worst. That is, if the Packers don't sign someone that offsets it.
Apologies zero clue why my fingers typed that, Meant Clark.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless Gutey trades up, it could be a late night for Packer fans.

Up to ten minutes per pick. If every team took those 10 minutes, Gutey would be on the clock at 11pm CST.
And just like in fantasy drafts it seems that everyone likes to take the maximum allotted time. I'm just glad those are usually limited to a couple of minutes or less.