Packers tried to trade for Jonathan Taylor

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillon has changed. He definitely lost his burst. Not sure what happened. Out of shape? Nagging injury? It's his last season if it doesn't get it back.

Adams coming back? Doubtful. Too expensive. Getting Taylor? Yeah, I think it could happen. Although Aaron Jones has been amazing so far, his injury is concerning and splitting carries would benefit him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Trouble with Dillon is that (even prior to this season, which thus far has been a noticeable step back) he’s seemingly been trending in the wrong direction. It’d be one thing if you looked at his career averages and then season-by-season and saw him looking rather steady or improving, but i don’t think that’s really the case.

I like the guy and it’s not like nobody’s gonna give him a job if he leaves us, but at the same time I think at this point his impact/production/etc for us would not be particularly difficult to replace.

You also should recognize that 2 things have changed for the good part of this season.

1. New QB. Rodgers was ALWAYS a threat to defenses to pass. I think defenses thus far are less concerned about defending against Love's arm, then they are against the run.

2. Aaron Jones injury. Dillon is not a feature back, no doubt there. However, he profited from having Aaron Jones playing ahead of him.

While I understand some of the hand wringing over Dillon lately, I also think fans are really over reacting to a couple of games where Dillon wasn't super productive. Jones has had that happen as well. Give it time.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I understand some of the hand wringing over Dillon lately, I also think fans are really over reacting to a couple of games where Dillon wasn't super productive. Jones has had that happen as well. Give it time.
It's not just the results. It's watching him play. There was a play where he had a lane on the edge and he just couldn't take advantage. Jones would have broke into the secondary and picked up 20+ yards, but AJ managed just 3.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's not just the results. It's watching him play. There was a play where he had a lane on the edge and he just couldn't take advantage. Jones would have broke into the secondary and picked up 20+ yards, but AJ managed just 3.
Like I have been saying, people tend to only remember the most recent things. Dillon also made a nice shoe string catch and turned it into a nice gain on Sunday.

Dillon may not be playing his best ball right now, but I am not concerned at this point.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I have been saying, people tend to only remember the most recent things. Dillon also made a nice shoe string catch and turned it into a nice gain on Sunday.

Dillon may not be playing his best ball right now, but I am not concerned at this point.

Neither is our offensive line....which has been more autrocious our run blocking or the Bears overall? It is a much closer discussion than it should be.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taylor without question. I think he could be had slightly less, we would be in the control of future contract.

Adams you inherit that contract, tell our WR room everyone get ready for less and would IMO cost more to get.

I can't see it happening, but Adams in a trade is a more-affordable contract that it looks.

The Raiders are on the hook for the signing bonus and his contract has no additional bonus money (roster, for example) that would spread over the remaining years.

His 2023 cap hit, for us, would be 11/17 * 6.03M assuming he's on our roster for 11 games.

His 2024 cap hit would be 16.8M, which while a big number, it's honestly middling for a top flight WR.

Similarly, as we are not on the hook for any existing bonus money, we could easy offer him a different contract with more bonus money instead of his 35M base salaries in 2025 and 2026. If anything, I suspect Adams expects to get cut or restructured after 2024. The balloon salary implies that is the plan.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You also should recognize that 2 things have changed for the good part of this season.

1. New QB. Rodgers was ALWAYS a threat to defenses to pass. I think defenses thus far are less concerned about defending against Love's arm, then they are against the run.

2. Aaron Jones injury. Dillon is not a feature back, no doubt there. However, he profited from having Aaron Jones playing ahead of him.

These things are both true but do note that I specifically said *prior to this season*. This year in particular has looked much worse, though when we consider the aforementioned circumstances and the limited sample size I’m not sure it’s enough to draw many meaningful conclusions from. Still, that aside, I think you could also make an argument that he looked appreciably worse in 2022 than he was in 2021, so it’s not particularly encouraging to see the direction things seem to be pointed at the moment.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see it happening, but Adams in a trade is a more-affordable contract that it looks.

The Raiders are on the hook for the signing bonus and his contract has no additional bonus money (roster, for example) that would spread over the remaining years.

His 2023 cap hit, for us, would be 11/17 * 6.03M assuming he's on our roster for 11 games.

His 2024 cap hit would be 16.8M, which while a big number, it's honestly middling for a top flight WR.

Similarly, as we are not on the hook for any existing bonus money, we could easy offer him a different contract with more bonus money instead of his 35M base salaries in 2025 and 2026. If anything, I suspect Adams expects to get cut or restructured after 2024. The balloon salary implies that is the plan.
IIRC, wasn’t it also claimed that we were willing to make Taylor the highest-paid RB in the league, too? Of course “highest-paid” can mean a couple of different things, but in any case right now you’ve got Henry with a ~16m cap hit and Chubb around ~15m. So if Davante’s got a hit if ~17m and we were willing to make Taylor the highest-paid RB I suspect they probably wouldn’t be radically different with regards to cost, at least.

I’m not really convinced there’s any substance to the Davante-return rumors (if I had to guess, Taylor seems far more likely) and I don’t know which would be better for us, but just worth considering.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You are correct. The Raiders took the big hit on his current contract, but as you correctly point out, the $35M base salary for 2025 and 2026 would probably be untenantable. So sure, if Gute feels Davante is a great fit for the current team and he can negotiate a decent NEW contract, than it would come down to what it cost in draft picks/players.

What I wouldn't be in favor of is trading away a #1 pick, as well as a contract that makes Davante the highest paid WR in the NFL. In that situation, I would much rather the Packers stay the course they are on and develop the current group of young promising WR's.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not want to break up the chemistry we seemingly have. Maybe an O lineman.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are correct. The Raiders took the big hit on his current contract, but as you correctly point out, the $35M base salary for 2025 and 2026 would probably be untenantable. So sure, if Gute feels Davante is a great fit for the current team and he can negotiate a decent NEW contract, than it would come down to what it cost in draft picks/players.

What I wouldn't be in favor of is trading away a #1 pick, as well as a contract that makes Davante the highest paid WR in the NFL. In that situation, I would much rather the Packers stay the course they are on and develop the current group of young promising WR's.

Again, giant flashing sign, I don't think the trade will happen.

An important distinction is that the Packers don't have to give him a new deal. I'm not aware of Adams being money-upset. And he's gotten all his bonus money. Playing for any team in 2023 is the exact same money amount for him. He is a vested veteran that was on a roster week 1, his base salary is guaranteed.

Were this trade to happen, we have 2 years to decide what the future holds. If Adams is looking terrible, we cut him after 2024 and suffer zero cap penalty. We could even treat 2023 as a one year rental if he suddenly hits the wall in week 15.

On the flip side, if 2023 looks great and we see a potential for 3 more years, I doubt he'd turn down more bonus/guaranteed money.

I would not like to trade a number 1 for Adams either, irrespective of him wanting a new contract. He's getting older. That said, the Raiders will take a relative large cap penalty/dead cap hit if they move him this early. A high pick might required to soothe that burn. Potentially offer 2 2nds? Phrase the trade to be something like "the next two 2nd round picks the Packers have rights to" and then they'd get our 2nd and the Jets 2nd in one shot. Such weasel words are probably required since technically we don't know we're getting the Jets 1 or 2 next year.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams coming back? Doubtful. Too expensive. Getting Taylor? Yeah, I think it could happen. Although Aaron Jones has been amazing so far, his injury is concerning and splitting carries would benefit him.
Jones is 28. He needs to share the load with someone otherwise he's going to be done very soon.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not want to break up the chemistry we seemingly have. Maybe an O lineman.
Absolutely. I would not want Adams back under any circumstances. Right now, this is Jordan's team, period. You bring Adams back, suddenly it becomes Adams' team.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Just good/bad water cooler chatter.

I've stopped reading what the guy at "Wisconsin Sports Heriocs" writes. All he does is over sensationalize his headlines, of articles about nothing. I notice WSH seems to be pushing the Davante to Packers narrative.

This was from @MattLombardoNFL

Just put Packers on a list of 6 possible destinations for Adams...as it seems its a forgone conclusion that he'll be dealt before the deadline.

I wouldnt doubt Adams has demanded a trade behind the scenes and ironically listed the Packers as a team he'd be willing to go to

I agree I dont see the Packers doing it but on some level he seems like more of a sure bet if youre giving up significant compensation and taking on a big contract. Than Jonathan Taylor

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely. I would not want Adams back under any circumstances. Right now, this is Jordan's team, period. You bring Adams back, suddenly it becomes Adams' team.

Idk about that, I think Adams would make it even more Jordan's team becas he would make it a lot easier for Love to succeed

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Idk about that, I think Adams would make it even more Jordan's team becas he would make it a lot easier for Love to succeed
Or he could also complain that he isn't getting enough touches and demand to be the focus of the offense like he was with Rodgers. I much prefer the ball being spread around. Look, his receivers all look up to him as a leader. Would Adams do that as well? Seems unlikely.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Adams will never be a Packer again. He will someday latch on to a SB contender kind of as a late career depth move. Like Randy Moss.

Outsider99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams is great route runner and it would be nice to have a veteran in the receiver room. But without protection, I think Love won't have much success. A solid running game would help more than a great receiver.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Jones is not your run of the mill average NFL back. Dillon is built for between the tackles running plays. Very few backs in the NFL have Jones' skills and abilities. All backs need decent run blocking and the Packers have been doing a poor job of that the last three games.

Reaction score
The problem with trading for Taylor is there isn't a world I think you have him and Jones here past this season.....you have to sign Taylor long term and eat Jones money next year most likely is also a cost.

Taylor is gonna cost a team $10-$14M a year range.....you don't ever want to tie up that much money in one back field if you tried to keep Jones too....
Exactly. We committed to Jones through 2024 once we raised his guaranteed. Which is fine because he’s still a formidable RB and those don’t grow on trees. I can’t imagine a scenario where we’d want to overlap RB’s and both getting RB1 $$ compensation. It’s a fun thought having Taylor, but it’s not a fiscally sound move and it’s pretty much contrary to the way we operate

Reaction score
Jones is not your run of the mill average NFL back. Dillon is built for between the tackles running plays. Very few backs in the NFL have Jones' skills and abilities. All backs need decent run blocking and the Packers have been doing a poor job of that the last three games.
That’s the other thing. If we’re going to spend double digit millions on a position we’d better start with OL.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With the restructure of Jones contract, they pushed almost $6.5M to spread across 3 void years (2025-27). If they did want to trade for Taylor and pair him up with Jones, it would be a great combo, but a very expensive one. I'm sure they could make the cap numbers work, but at what future cap cost and more importantly, opportunity cost at other positions of need? A nice dream to have those 2 guys paired up, but probably not smart structurally or financially. Jones has proven himself in this offense. While I love Jonathan Taylor, it would be both a huge draft and money investment, thus, probably one that a rebuilding team should not do.

Members online

Latest posts