Packers tried to trade for Jonathan Taylor

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with trading for Taylor is there isn't a world I think you have him and Jones here past this season.....you have to sign Taylor long term and eat Jones money next year most likely is also a cost.

Taylor is gonna cost a team $10-$14M a year range.....you don't ever want to tie up that much money in one back field if you tried to keep Jones too....

I think Jones is gone after this season unfortunately...well actually after looking at the numbers maybe not. Jones had a cap number of 17.7 M his dead cap is 12.3 M. They only save 5 M by releasing him

Maybe they sign him to an extension, he does seem like a guy who genuinely wants to be in GB. If Jones was willing to.take a deal commiserate with his advancing age, which I think he would be considering he took a pay cut to stay in GB for 2023. I think an extension for him would be awesome

Dillon is likely gone and or its clear hes not a number 2 back. So they'll need to get someone. Youre probably right, a high draft pick is probably the better way to go

OP
OP
S

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillon will get signed. Whether it is the Packers or another team, he has some value. Now what he gets signed for is probably a bit more than the Packers value him at, but he might be paid more by a team that feels he would make a good feature back.
At this point I can't imagine any team seeing AJ Dillon, who has seen his yards per attempt and yards after contact decline every season since his rookie year. There was a reason a lot of people thought he was a reach in the second round and it's playing out before our eyes. I could see him getting a Gus Edwards deal from a team to be the short yardage back but I can't imagine even a desperate team offering more than $2-$3 million a season (unless he turns into Derick Henry).

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
At this point I can't imagine any team seeing AJ Dillon, who has seen his yards per attempt and yards after contact decline every season since his rookie year. There was a reason a lot of people thought he was a reach in the second round and it's playing out before our eyes. I could see him getting a Gus Edwards deal from a team to be the short yardage back but I can't imagine even a desperate team offering more than $2-$3 million a season (unless he turns into Derick Henry).
Personally, I think that's an overreach of a statement, based on using a tiny data set. I guess we will see what happens in the next 14 games.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dillon will get signed. Whether it is the Packers or another team, he has some value. Now what he gets signed for is probably a bit more than the Packers value him at, but he might be paid more by a team that feels he would make a good feature back.
Wont be here

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillon is definitely not getting resigned, unless he elevates his game. If he's lucky, maybe A-Rodg can get him a spot with the Jets.
But seriously, I like Dillon allot but the Packers are better off bringing in new talent at that position. I remember when Dillon almost appeared to be a better back than Jones!
Actually, some were just thinking that. I think mainly they did not realize how good Jones actually is. And they were enamored with Dillon's size.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, some were just thinking that. I think mainly they did not realize how good Jones actually is. And they were enamored with Dillon's size.
I think the faithful were hoping for someone with Eddie Lacy power before he got out of shape. This is not the first year Jones showed what he could do. The Lions know that very well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
*shakes my head*

While I agree that AJ Dillon would not be a great choice for a featured starting RB, I think people aren't giving the guy enough credit as a #2. Two things have changed for Dillon in the past 2 games. The left side of the OL and no complimentary back (Aaron Jones). I think when both go back to "normal", you will see different results for Dillon. Again, not saying the guy is a top 25 RB in the NFL, but right now, all the negativity on the guy is a bit of an over reaction IMO.

Career stats
Year
Year
Team
Team
ATT
Rushing attempts
YDS
Rushing yards
AVG
Average yards per carry
TD
Rushing touchdowns
REC
Total receptions
2023Packers391072.703
2022Packers1867704.1728
2021Packers1878034.3534
2020Packers462425.322
Career4581,9224.21467

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*shakes my head*

While I agree that AJ Dillon would not be a great choice for a featured starting RB, I think people aren't giving the guy enough credit as a #2. Two things have changed for Dillon in the past 2 games. The left side of the OL and no complimentary back (Aaron Jones). I think when both go back to "normal", you will see different results for Dillon. Again, not saying the guy is a top 25 RB in the NFL, but right now, all the negativity on the guy is a bit of an over reaction IMO.

Career stats
Year
Year
Team
Team
ATT
Rushing attempts
YDS
Rushing yards
AVG
Average yards per carry
TD
Rushing touchdowns
REC
Total receptions
2023Packers391072.703
2022Packers1867704.1728
2021Packers1878034.3534
2020Packers462425.322
Career4581,9224.21467

Absolutely - folks that are clamoring there isn't going to be a decent FA market for him are nuts and kidding themselves. That type of production as a RB2 is about as good or high as you could hope for in a perfect backfield #2 and as we know MANY teams don't run a pure feature back anymore - preferring that 60/40 give or take split of carries between their #1 and their 2 and 3.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My sample size is 48 games. I'll take that sample size over 14 games.
Well good at least you are willing to look at all 48 games that Dillon has played in. Tell me what you don't like about his career stats?

Games Carries Yards Ave./carry Lng TD's

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Absolutely - folks that are clamoring there isn't going to be a decent FA market for him are nuts and kidding themselves. That type of production as a RB2 is about as good or high as you could hope for in a perfect backfield #2 and as we know MANY teams don't run a pure feature back anymore - preferring that 60/40 give or take split of carries between their #1 and their 2 and 3.
It's easier for some just to ***** and moan over a few less than average games that Dillon had. I guess we can take that as a good sign, that posters like him aren't finding major flaws in the Packers. There are a few posters here that just love to always be the squeaky wheel and ooze negativity. The OP of "Dillon sucks" hated the Love pick, he hasn't said much about Love since the season started, I wonder why?

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL is a productivity-based league, and Dillon plays the most replaceable position in the draft. He is not with the team next year if he can't get his YPC way up. We don't have run blocking maulers on the O-line, so we need more finesse and speed than power, IMO. Look at the Phins with Mostert and Achane.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still personally think with him and Deguara both seeing their contracts ending....Gute may consider keeping Dillon as that FB/H Back role type that Deguara provides WHILE also being there and can also provide depth at RB too, and has done so until this year quite well in a back up role....at times even lead and doing well.

He's vision of lanes is where I think Dillon is failing the most right now having rewatched some of his film...what makes Jones so deadly is that he is very quick sometimes at reading the lane - not the play if that makes sense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I still personally think with him and Deguara both seeing their contracts ending....Gute may consider keeping Dillon as that FB/H Back role type that Deguara provides WHILE also being there and can also provide depth at RB too, and has done so until this year quite well in a back up role....at times even lead and doing well.

He's vision of lanes is where I think Dillon is failing the most right now having rewatched some of his film...what makes Jones so deadly is that he is very quick sometimes at reading the lane - not the play if that makes sense.
Agree

I may be mistaken but pretty sure when Jones was healthy, there were times when both he and Dillon were in. I like that idea, better than Deguara only really being TE, playing as a FB.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillon is adequate. One on one he can drive a tackler or pike. But for the running game to gel to a better level the back has to have quick feet and the ability to shift. McCaffrey is an example of both. He is not the fastest nor the strongest. But he steals yards. You give him an inch and he takes a mile. Paul Hornung had those qualities both as a runner and a receiver. Dillon is string enough to handle 25-30 carries a game. But he is likely to get stopped for losses more than he will break one for 20.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Exactly. And a back has to do that quickly. An instant in the NFL and that space is gone.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So...chatter is starting to heat up about Davantae Adams returning to the Packers...If Gutes gonna make a move at the deadline for one if the two, who would you guys rather have, Adams or Jonathan Taylor?

Id 100% rather have Adams back personally, however knowing the Packers I have doubts that theyd want to bring in a player like Adams becas they would view it as stunting the growth of their young wrs

One thing is for sure, adding Adams back to this offense would be a enormous coup for Jordan Love and it would immediately give the Packers the strongest group of pass catchers in the NFL

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So...chatter is starting to heat up about Davantae Adams returning to the Packers...If Gutes gonna make a move at the deadline for one if the two, who would you guys rather have, Adams or Jonathan Taylor?

Id 100% rather have Adams back personally, however knowing the Packers I have doubts that theyd want to bring in a player like Adams becas they would view it as stunting the growth of their young wrs

One thing is for sure, adding Adams back to this offense would be a enormous coup for Jordan Love and it would immediately give the Packers the strongest group of pass catchers in the NFL

Taylor without question. I think he could be had slightly less, we would be in the control of future contract.

Adams you inherit that contract, tell our WR room everyone get ready for less and would IMO cost more to get.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair tho, relative to their respective positions they are both freaking dynamite players at their positions and arguably top 5 when playing.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not going to happen.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not going to happen.
I agree. Just good/bad water cooler chatter.

I've stopped reading what the guy at "Wisconsin Sports Heriocs" writes. All he does is over sensationalize his headlines, of articles about nothing. I notice WSH seems to be pushing the Davante to Packers narrative.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Just good/bad water cooler chatter.

I've stopped reading what the guy at "Wisconsin Sports Heriocs" writes. All he does is over sensationalize his headlines, of articles about nothing. I notice WSH seems to be pushing the Davante to Packers narrative.
Yeah, some of these article headlines are pitiful. They suck you in a couple times and then you realize they are totally full of it. The sad thing is that it's true about "real" news these days also. A real lack of content and they don't give a ****.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trouble with Dillon is that (even prior to this season, which thus far has been a noticeable step back) he’s seemingly been trending in the wrong direction. It’d be one thing if you looked at his career averages and then season-by-season and saw him looking rather steady or improving, but i don’t think that’s really the case.

I like the guy and it’s not like nobody’s gonna give him a job if he leaves us, but at the same time I think at this point his impact/production/etc for us would not be particularly difficult to replace.

Members online

Latest posts