Official Studs n Duds Bears

D

Deleted member 6794

The timeout I am thinking about was in the 3rd Q at the 2:55 mark. The Packers had the ball at the Bear 2 yard line, 4th and goal and up 35-27. So if he draws them offsides it doesn't get them a first down, just a potential free play or 1 yard closer. I also think with the Packers being up by 8 points, the goal was to go up by 11 there, which they did when Mason nailed the FG. ;)

Let's just say that wasn't an ideal time or situation to burn a timeout, especially if the intended purpose was just to pick up 1 more yard. I have also noticed that the Refs have become a lot less generous at giving Rodgers "Free Plays" when the defense does jump offsides, seems like they blow the play dead almost immediately when it does happen.

Also, the smarter move in that scenario, would have been to have simply taken a delay of game and pushed the ball back to the 7 and not waste the timeout.

I wasn't actually talking about a specific situation but that the Packers have lined up solely to draw defenses offside without any intention of snapping the ball in the past. That has become less frequent since MLF took over though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wasn't actually talking about a specific situation but that the Packers have lined up solely to draw defenses offside without any intention of snapping the ball in the past. That has become less frequent since MLF took over though.
Right and in most of THOSE situations, just take the 5 yard delay of game and punt the ball, don't burn a timeout to save 5 yards when punting.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So the question was asked last week when discussing Rodgers burning timeouts unnecessarily and if it ever cost us the game. Not sure how many of you were thinking about it yesterday, but had the Ravens made that 2 point conversion (or just kicked an XP), I sure would have loved those 2 timeouts back.

Yes, Rodgers is very good with clock management and on occasion wisely spends a timeout when things aren't looking good, but I think that there are times when he/Packers could also speed up the huddle a bit and give himself more time to get a snap off.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Depending on the field position the defense might even decline the penalty.
Yup and I saw that situation yesterday, can't remember which game, maybe Tom Brady and the Buccaneers just before half? By the way the Saints and Taysom Hill....awesome job of knocking off the Bucs @ home!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup and I saw that situation yesterday, can't remember which game, maybe Tom Brady and the Buccaneers just before half? By the way the Saints and Taysom Hill....awesome job of knocking off the Bucs @ home!
The Bucs loss gives the Packers a two game cushion over the Bucs and Cards. Do they own the tie breaker with the Cowboys as well? I think so.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no… the Cowboys have a better conference record.
Thanks, yeah I just read that later today. Well the Cowboys play AZ I think (although if they can't beat the Lions.....). The Packers are in good shape. They usually lose one game a year to the Vikes so that's over. They can handle the Browns at home and the Lions on the road - well as long as they don't look past the Lions.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
no… the Cowboys have a better conference record.
Yup and I think I read that it would be better for the Packers to end up in a 3 way tie with the Cowboys and Arizona, then it comes down to common opponents and head to head. I don't remember the math, just that a 3 way tie favored the Packers.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup and I think I read that it would be better for the Packers to end up in a 3 way tie with the Cowboys and Arizona, then it comes down to common opponents and head to head. I don't remember the math, just that a 3 way tie favored the Packers.
It will likely be settled during the season, as I believe Dallas and Arizona play. But yeah, if AZ, Dallas and GB were in a 3 way tie, I think GB prevails due to the win over AZ, the first tiebreaker. I think.......

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It will likely be settled during the season, as I believe Dallas and Arizona play. But yeah, if AZ, Dallas and GB were in a 3 way tie, I think GB prevails due to the win over AZ, the first tiebreaker. I think.......
If Dallas beats Arizona and there occurs a ********* with those 3 teams, Arizona is out and GB-Dallas two team tiebreakers are in play.

D

Deleted member 6794

By the way the Saints and Taysom Hill....awesome job of knocking off the Bucs @ home!

Taysom Hill is probably one of the last one on the Saints deserving any credit for their win against the Bucs.

The Packers would win a three-way tie breaker with the Bucs and Cardinals at 13-4. As Dallas and Arizona still have to play each other they would have to lose another two games for there to be a chance to end up in a tie with both of them.

The head-to-head tie breaker only applies to a three way tie if either one of those teams has beaten both opponents or one of them lost to both.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taysom Hill is probably one of the last one on the Saints deserving any credit for their win against the Bucs.

The Packers would win a three-way tie breaker with the Bucs and Cardinals at 13-4. As Dallas and Arizona still have to play each other they would have to lose another two games for there to be a chance to end up in a tie with both of them.

The head-to-head tie breaker only applies to a three way tie if either one of those teams has beaten both opponents or one of them lost to both.
So a 3 way tie between GB, AZ, and Dallas would likely go to Dallas, right? I don't think Dallas is gonna lose two more games. Packers "just" need to win out.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So a 3 way tie between GB, AZ, and Dallas would likely go to Dallas, right? I don't think Dallas is gonna lose two more games. Packers "just" need to win out.
Dallas doesn’t need to lose 2 more.. Green Bay already leads them by 1 game… so if Dallas loses one more … Green Bay could afford to lose 1 and still finish ahead of Dallas. That being said… Yes I prefer that they just win out and guarantee it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dallas doesn’t need to lose 2 more.. Green Bay already leads them by 1 game… so if Dallas loses one more … Green Bay could afford to lose 1 and still finish ahead of Dallas. That being said… Yes I prefer that they just win out and guarantee it.
It would be nice if AZ can beat Dallas. I'm really not that worried about Dallas. GB has a better coach and a much better QB. Dak doesn't seem to be the same since the broken leg. Dallas may have a slightly better D, but I like GB's chances if they have to play.

D

Deleted member 6794

As mentioned above a three way time between the Packers, Cowboys and Cardinals is only possible at 12-5 at best. Therefore the Packers would need to lose two games for that to happen.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As mentioned above a three way time between the Packers, Cowboys and Cardinals is only possible at 12-5 at best. Therefore the Packers would need to lose two games for that to happen.
Got it. That's extremely unlikely. I'm not sure why I care anyway. It's easier to wait until the end of the season, especially when the Packers control things by winning. I'm always a little nervous about the Vikings, especially when they're still in the hunt for a playoff spot, or at least I think they are.