Official Studs n Duds Bears

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
STs is at a position where the best we can expect is no mistakes. That means being very safe, fair catch punts, kick the ball out of the end zone or through it, get guys to stay in their lanes (I have no idea why this is so hard) - and looking ahead, think about drafting a replacement for Crosby. I love the guy, he's had a lot more good years than bad, but he's losing leg strength (welcome to aging) and accuracy and worst of all - he's letting it all get to him. Time to retire.

And fix the coaching problem by going outside. Start over, replace everyone in the off season.

Sunday's game was laughably bad and will likely never happen again. But some of this has to be fixed before the playoffs. GB won't be playing the Bears again. And the next four games are important now that AZ lost. They can't afford another comedy of errors with any of these teams. Yes, even the Lions.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah,
dud...wasting a time out when they should have just kicked the field goal anyway which would have put them up by two scores. Not to mention, saving 5 yards down there is not worth the time out.
Time Out management under MM was really bad, and it's not a whole lot better under MLF. I'd rather lose a down than a TO. Rodgers will call TOs if he doesn't like the look of the D, and he really shouldn't do this unless it's 3rd down. The Packers rarely go into the last 5 minutes of each half with all of their TOs available.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't necessarily like it, but what are you going to do, tell Rodgers not to do what he does? Seriously, that's like teling Favre not to fire it in there. It's what he does, it's him, his style, it's what makes him so good. He analyzes and beats defenses. If he doesn't see something he likes, he's usually going to win on the next one.

I'll take Rodgers and 30 seconds at the end of a half and no timeouts VS pretty much every other QB in the league with 30 seconds and 3 timeouts.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't necessarily like it, but what are you going to do, tell Rodgers not to do what he does? Seriously, that's like teling Favre not to fire it in there. It's what he does, it's him, his style, it's what makes him so good. He analyzes and beats defenses. If he doesn't see something he likes, he's usually going to win on the next one.

I'll take Rodgers and 30 seconds at the end of a half and no timeouts VS pretty much every other QB in the league with 30 seconds and 3 timeouts.

Sometimes it seems like there is no play called and in the huddle Rodgers just says "OK, we'll just go line up and I'll call what I like when I see how they line up. Be ready for anything." and when he doesn't see what he like he calls the TO. It is frustrating when it happens but you really can't argue with the success Rodgers has had in doing it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For me, not saying I would cut him for it. But I think it is a dud and he should think more clearly about time outs. Sometimes he will take one when he just should not.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes it seems like there is no play called and in the huddle Rodgers just says "OK, we'll just go line up and I'll call what I like when I see how they line up. Be ready for anything." and when he doesn't see what he like he calls the TO. It is frustrating when it happens but you really can't argue with the success Rodgers has had in doing it.
If he actually did not call a play in the huddle; he should have more time at the line of scrimmage before he calls a time out.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Time Out management under MM was really bad, and it's not a whole lot better under MLF. I'd rather lose a down than a TO. Rodgers will call TOs if he doesn't like the look of the D, and he really shouldn't do this unless it's 3rd down. The Packers rarely go into the last 5 minutes of each half with all of their TOs available.
This is easily Rodgers' biggest weakness and it absolutely makes me crazy.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

I tend to agree, but sometimes those timeouts make the difference in whether or not Rodgers even gets the ball back in the first place. That's my biggest point of contention.

Reaction score
STs is at a position where the best we can expect is no mistakes. That means being very safe, fair catch punts, kick the ball out of the end zone or through it, get guys to stay in their lanes (I have no idea why this is so hard) - and looking ahead, think about drafting a replacement for Crosby. I love the guy, he's had a lot more good years than bad, but he's losing leg strength (welcome to aging) and accuracy and worst of all - he's letting it all get to him. Time to retire.

And fix the coaching problem by going outside. Start over, replace everyone in the off season.

Sunday's game was laughably bad and will likely never happen again. But some of this has to be fixed before the playoffs. GB won't be playing the Bears again. And the next four games are important now that AZ lost. They can't afford another comedy of errors with any of these teams. Yes, even the Lions.
I know this is unlikely. But the way our O has been moving the ball of late. Why even try to return Kickoffs? 90% of the time we’d start at the 25. How many times do we net a - because we tried to run it out and not make the 25. How many + yards past the 25 would we need to erase just 1 Redzone fumble? Or worse yet.. Opposing team TD? Just let the Dang kick go already. Take the 25 and never turn the ball over, I’m totally ok with that.

Occasionally we can try a Montgomery if it’s near sideline. Step out and reach for it while out of bounds OR let it roll out before the pylon! That gets it at the 40! Taylor gave up 35 yards and I said it BEFORE the announcer! If a casual fan understands that principle? Why doesn’t a professional KR not get it? There’s no reason to return a kickoff unless it lands outside the 15+ yard line where it could potentially roll to the 5 area. NEVER touch a ball ball landing inside the 10. Let the momentum take it before risking a fumble there.

As far as punts? Why is there only 1 guy by himself there? What if he fumbles it like Cobb did?? Why on earth would we allow a live ball to be fielded by 1 Packer and 4 Defenders at our Goaline? In our our Redzone? We wouldn’t even think of sending 1 receiver on a Hail Mary! and the ball is DEAD upon touching the ground at THEIR ENDZONE
While On a kick or punt (especially) it touches our player it’s a live FUMBLE! AT OUR ENDZONE!! I can’t be the only fan that sees that imbalance of equity! I’d have our players on either side of the returner just BEHIND him and getting a running start at blocking his flanks to either side. That still allows 8 blockers in front.
Those flankers can also aid in preventing the kicking team from getting underneath OUR punt return and downing it at the 1. It gives our return guy first shot at picking up the ball and at least scrambling outside the 5 yard line where we can fall down safely and not jeopardize a Safety on the next play.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Kick offs- as soon as the Pack started doing that teams would kick the ball to the 5 yard line.
2. Punts- I am just trying to decide if teams would run fake punts 50 or 75% of the time against your proposed alignment and if there success rate would be 80 or 90 %.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So who is going to have a better career? Fields or Love? Whom is in a better position to succeed in the NFL? Which one of the 2 would you rather have on your roster?
Asking for a relative.
Thanks in advance.
Easy. Fields. He might not even be as talented, but he's a baller.
This is easily Rodgers' biggest weakness and it absolutely makes me crazy.
Yeah and it doesn't make sense. He's got an uncanny sense of what is going on in the game, but he'll call TO on a 1st or 2nd down if he doesn't like the defensive alignment. Crazy.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I consider it to be a pretty smart idea to not cut Rodgers because of his excessive use of timeouts.

Ummm, yeah I think that's probably a weakness we can all live with in his game.... If it really is a weakness. I don't like calling TOs on 1st and 2nd downs just because the D doesn't look right. 3rd down is a different story and a TO may needed to preserve a drive.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Easy. Fields. He might not even be as talented, but he's a baller.
Just a straight baller:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Or a turnover machine. About the same.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a straight baller:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Or a turnover machine. About the same.
It was a comparison between Love and Fields, right? I'm not crazy about either one. I just like Fields' aggression compared to Love. I hope the TOs decline as he gets more pro experience. But even at that, he's not showing any near term Pro Bowl potential. So far, just a guy. Same with Love. Returns are still early.

Krabs

Reaction score
It was a comparison between Love and Fields, right? I'm not crazy about either one. I just like Fields' aggression compared to Love. I hope the TOs decline as he gets more pro experience. But even at that, he's not showing any near term Pro Bowl potential. So far, just a guy. Same with Love. Returns are still early.
I took the "baller" part as though Fields was good. I think Fields will be better than Love, but at a very low level. Love's game reminds me a lot of Kizer. Fields reminds me of every other high profile QB out of Ohio St.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I took the "baller" part as though Fields was good. I think Fields will be better than Love, but at a very low level. Love's game reminds me a lot of Kizer. Fields reminds me of every other high profile QB out of Ohio St.
I think we're in agreement. Seems the Big 10 produces better linemen than QBs or other skill players. They've had sone decent CBs go pro. But yeah, I can't think of the last OSU QB who did really well in the NFL.
Oops, I forgot about Russell Wilson. Now there's an elite NFL QB from, of all places, Wisconsin. He wasn't high profile coming out of the draft. I think Seattle took him in the 3rd round, but I could be mistaken. (And thanks for the correction. "Baller" should mean a really good player, in football, basketball, maybe even baseball.)

Krabs

Reaction score
Oops, I forgot about Russell Wilson. Now there's an elite NFL QB from, of all places, Wisconsin.
Well, Wilson only played one year at Wisconsin. He played most of his college career at NC State. It was a fun year when we had him, but for me I consider him more of a NC State guys. Regardless, the B1G is known for defense and running the ball. Either way, Fields was not a stud during the Packers vs Bears game. Like I said before, I'll give him that he has escapability. That only gets a QB so far in the NFL.

Reaction score
I consider it to be a pretty smart idea to not cut Rodgers because of his excessive use of timeouts.
There’s that sense of humor, I just knew it was in there somewhere! :roflmao:There’s an old saying. “The End justifies the Means”. As long as our QB is winning games and firing on all cylinders he can use the other teams Timeouts for all i care! :whistling: Wait?! That didn’t make a lick of sense!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah and it doesn't make sense. He's got an uncanny sense of what is going on in the game, but he'll call TO on a 1st or 2nd down if he doesn't like the defensive alignment. Crazy.

I'm fine with Rodgers taking a timeout instead of running a terrible play.

I definitely hope Fields produces even more turnovers moving forward.

Krabs

Reaction score
I'm fine with Rodgers taking a timeout instead of running a terrible play.
There should not be blanket statements about all the time outs. It depends on various factors.
I'm curious if anyone can name a game that the Packers lost due to not having timeouts from Rodgers burning them on an expiring play clock. I will give an example from just this season where the Packers had zero timeouts, were losing, had only 30 seconds let, and still won. That would be the game where the 49ers were the opponent. I'm not saying a dwindling time clock doesn't drive me nuts. It does. At this point I just trust Rodgers to do his thing and let them worry about the timeouts. It doesn't really seem to cost us games.

Members online

Latest posts