Official Niners studs n duds

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My understanding is that by league decree, the back judge is no longer positioned behind the play which as we saw opens up this type of situation where the play is not seen by all angles. Too many plays of this type will bring that change into serious review or they will need to allow a post play review allowing a penalty to be called after camera review.
Yeah, that's what Chris Collinsworth said, but consider the source. DO you know of a credible source on that or was he pulling that straight from his **** as usual?

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I have had my share of ref gripes, but to not call that penalty on the Adams hit, which IMO should have been flagrant,and unsportsmanlike, and then call one of the most ticky tack roughing the passer calls on Stokes, is one of the main reasons I believe the league should consider challenges to certain calls like that
But there was a challenge to the pass that hit the ground. I thought that for sure the replay official would reverse the call, but nope….

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Lancaster seemed to be on the field more, and actually had a pretty decent night.
He actually played less this game, than the other 2, but I think he played better, so maybe that is why he seemed to be out there more.

His snap count:

Game 1 Game 2 Game 3
48%
32%
24%

Clark and Keke were above their previous 2 games and I think they played more LB's and DB's at time

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what Chris Collinsworth said, but consider the source. DO you know of a credible source on that or was he pulling that straight from his **** as usual?
Whether Collinsworth heard it correctly or not, I think it makes total sense and has to be something the league has talked about. I don't watch a lot of NFL games, but seems like there is a lot going on around and behind the line of scrimmage and just not enough eyes to see it all.

Reaction score
After the go ahead SF score Collinsworth gave up on GB
I swear I heard Collinsworth say something to the effect of “all it takes is one more sack or turnover and game over” or something like that.
While we all obviously had a lump in our throat after that last SF score, He tilted his cards hard. He’s an imposter!

Even Shannahan looked sick when he saw that time on the clock. There’s just several QB in this league you don’t want to give :37 sec to get a field goal. Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady top that list. Very reminiscent of the 2017 Dallas Divisional

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I swear I heard Collinsworth say something to the effect of “all it takes is one more sack or turnover and game over” or something like that.
While we all obviously had a lump in our throat after that last SF score, He tilted his cards hard. He’s an imposter!
I used to kind of like Collinsworth, now I am sick of his babbling and not being all that correct to boot. I really like Tony Romo, wish he wasn't with CBS or did more NFC games. Maybe we will get him for the Pittsburgh game.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Even Shannahan looked sick when he saw that time on the clock. There’s just several QB in this league you don’t want to give :37 sec to get a field goal. Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady top that list. Very reminiscent of the 2017 Dallas Divisional
After the Packers got the ball back with 37 seconds left or whatever all it would have taken was one more sack or turnover and it would have been over. You don't like Collinsworth for stating a fact?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
After the Packers got the ball back with 37 seconds left or whatever all it would have taken was one more sack or turnover and it would have been over. You don't like Collinsworth for stating a fact?
In that situation, can I hate him for stating the obvious?

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have had my share of ref gripes, but to not call that penalty on the Adams hit, which IMO should have been flagrant,and unsportsmanlike, and then call one of the most ticky tack roughing the passer calls on Stokes, is one of the main reasons I believe the league should consider challenges to certain calls like that

The thing is I don't fault the refs on the field for that one. They can't call what they can't see and because the league decided to change where that official plays no one was in a position to see it. That's why the ref in the sky needs to be able to make that call if none on the field could see it and if they don't call it the coach should be able to challenge.

Reminds me of a Basketball game I was in in high school. An opposing player stole the ball from my teammate and took off. I was chasing him but he was pulling away from me and I couldn't have done anything to stop him if I had wanted to. All of a sudden he just tripped over his own two feet. The ref called a foul on me because he couldn't believe the other guy would just trip like that. I turned around and said "I didn't touch him" and the ref replied "you must have, he didn't just trip on his own"

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And I was thinking, "Do NOT pull a Ty Montgomery here!"

Reaction score
Absolutely. You put the ball in the hands of the league MVP? Chris obviously didn’t work the Dallas Divisional game!

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy Chris discounted us because that Win felt SOOO much better than normal
didn’t anyone else feel that??!
The talking heads discounted us all week .. I guess Collinsworth saying that was the culmination of a weeks worth of arrogance. It’s almost like he wanted us to lose. Collinsworth saw Rocky down for the count and flipped his cards. Absolutely, Positively, without a doubt Chris Collinsworth wrote us off. I used to enjoy him but he’s not a Packer Backer that I’m positive on.

Chris Collinsworth gets a super Cali fragilistic DUD!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I used to kind of like Collinsworth, now I am sick of his babbling and not being all that correct to boot. I really like Tony Romo, wish he wasn't with CBS or did more NFC games. Maybe we will get him for the Pittsburgh game.
Funny you say that. I think Romo gives a much better game time synopsis. The guy knows his football.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Cris Collinsworth is unfortunate in that he looks and sounds like smugness personified, but I don't think he ever comes off that way if you actually listen to him. He knows the game really well, he does a good job assessing it on the fly, and can explain it well. You could do much, much worse.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
But there was a challenge to the pass that hit the ground. I thought that for sure the replay official would reverse the call, but nope….
There has got to be more accountability with the officials, they can’t be fined like players, I would consider some action

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
The thing is I don't fault the refs on the field for that one. They can't call what they can't see and because the league decided to change where that official plays no one was in a position to see it. That's why the ref in the sky needs to be able to make that call if none on the field could see it and if they don't call it the coach should be able to challenge.

Reminds me of a Basketball game I was in in high school. An opposing player stole the ball from my teammate and took off. I was chasing him but he was pulling away from me and I couldn't have done anything to stop him if I had wanted to. All of a sudden he just tripped over his own two feet. The ref called a foul on me because he couldn't believe the other guy would just trip like that. I turned around and said "I didn't touch him" and the ref replied "you must have, he didn't just trip on his own"
Wait! That was you? Lol

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watched a game recap and they pointed out something I missed, when Adams caught that last pass and the team was running up to spike the ball. Adams didn't give the ball to the ref when he got up, he placed the ball himself. I didn't know that was legal.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Cris Collinsworth is unfortunate in that he looks and sounds like smugness personified, but I don't think he ever comes off that way if you actually listen to him. He knows the game really well, he does a good job assessing it on the fly, and can explain it well. You could do much, much worse.
Here's how I see it.

Poor Al Michaels needs to retire. It's just time. I actually enjoy listening to Collinsworth though. And I think Mike Tirico is an outstanding play by play guy that will eventually be a great successor to Michaels.

My favorite play by play guy is easily Joe Buck. I've even gotten to where I like Aikman, as I think he generally does a decent job of explaining things. Only thing I don't like is that I feel he lets some of his biases get in the way sometimes.

Jim Nantz is solid, but is best at golf. Romo is really good, but I sometimes don't like his over exuberant personality. But it's clear he knows how to do the job even if it's a little unorthodox.

ESPN's Monday Night crew is a disaster. Steve Levy is absolutely terrible. I do kind of like Louis Rid**** though. But ESPN's play by play guys have been awful for a while. And most of their color choices have been awful as well. Can't get it right.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Watched a game recap and they pointed out something I missed, when Adams caught that last pass and the team was running up to spike the ball. Adams didn't give the ball to the ref when he got up, he placed the ball himself. I didn't know that was legal.
He can place it but it's up to the ref to decide if he placed it properly. I've seen players set the ball on the correct hash only to have the ref turn it so the laces are up or hold it because a defensive player "accidently" moved it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Duds
Defense

Man our defense Cant be trusted. Ive run out of things to say about that side of the ball. They are going to cost us a couple games we should have win until they add some better pieces in key spots. Like slot corner and lb

The defense actually played pretty well. If it wasn't for some phantom calls by the refs they would have given up only 14 points.

I was one of them. I immediately said, "take the 3". For me, and I know that stats can argue my point, I'm tired of the "new, young, fresh" coaches constantly going for it on 4th down. I get it occasionally, and sure, it would have put the 9ers in a huge hole. However, it was early in the game and it was off a turnover. Basically free points. Take the stinking points! To come away with nothing off a turnover just doesn't jive with me.

According to NFL Next Gen Stats MLF's worst decision was kicking the field goal to go up 27-21 instead of going for it on fourth down in that sitaution. Just saying.

I think this Crosby performance should add at least another year onto Captain having to keep his signature, which currently reads:

"@Pokerbrat2000 was right, Mason Crosby is one of the top kickers of all times. I love him, worth every penny. UDFA Kickers, what a nightmare!"

I'm definitely not getting rid of the signature anytime soon, Crosby hasn't missed a field goal since I started using it ;)

they got to midfield in a heartbeat.

True, but if the Niners started that same drive on their 25 they would have been in field goal range already.

Good signs and man the run defense was awesome against a tough match up.

While the run defense was solid it definitely helped the Niners were short of an NFL caliber running back for the game.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
According to NFL Next Gen Stats MLF's worst decision was kicking the field goal to go up 27-21 instead of going for it on fourth down in that sitaution. Just saying.
Yep, and just like I said, I know what the stats say about going for it on 4th down. Just noting I didn't like it.

Members online

Latest posts