Official Niners studs n duds

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collinsworth is good, and until Romo came along, he was probably the best color commentator. That said, I think Michaels/Collinsworth are getting old. My guess is NBC will replace Michaels with Tirico in the next few years. They'd probably replace Collinsworth at the same time.
I thought there was quite an age difference between Michaels and Collinsworth

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collinsworth isn't going anywhere for quite a while unless he just wants to be done

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collinsworth isn't going anywhere for quite a while unless he just wants to be done
He still seems to enjoy it. I'm just wondering if they, for example whacked Michaels and put in Tirico, if Tirico would want his own color guy. Or whoever they would replace Michaels with. It's that adage, better to let someone go a year early than a year late. His age is showing, and geez, he's been around forever. He's also very good and I'd miss him.

Reaction score
I'm a weird one that actually thinks Collinsworth is one of the better announcers out there.
Oh he’s fine overall. I was just busting his chops on this one game is all. He doesn’t bother me normally. I’m wondering if Rodgers off-season antics were the catalyst for his tone. Either that or his best friend lives in SF :sneaky:

He seems like an alright guy I’m not writing him off over 1 game anymore than anyone else. He’s in the top 1/3 of announcers imo. It’s nothing personal, 1 game is petty stuff. Just please no more of the.. “well.. I wonder (WISH) if that TD will finally put this game away?” talk. I like guys that can remain objective in those situations. He showed me a peak at his cards and ate crow, that’s good enough for me. :tup:

I Like Romo, he’s pretty a pretty good WI kid. I liked when Dungy did games he’s a cool cat. I liked Gifford back in the day. Of course Howard Cosell, who can best Howard. I’m thankful I can say I watched him live tv. With a shirt Hanger snd Tin foil antennae, I mastered the RCA tv horizontal slap when Howard was around

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
A bar in Pennsylvania held a weekly raffle in which the winner was afforded the honor of destroying a broken TV with a single shotgun blast upon Cosell's first word on the MNF broadcast.
Classic. There was no in-between with Cosell. You either loved him or hated him.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Went back over the majority of Garoppolo's throws, and it really stands out how well the Packers tackled.

The entire 49ers offense is about YAC. They don't throw downfield. They throw within 10 yards and get run after.

Apart from Kittle (who is always going to get his), they got almost nothing after the catch. That was huge.
Though the 49ers are a better YAC team than the Steelers, this is going to be very key tomorrow afternoon as well.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they modified that a bit and even if they had declared it was a pass, it was thrown/fumbled backwards, making it a live ball.

BTW, in case nobody mentioned it, that "roughing the passer" call on Alexander during the 49'ers final TD drive, was complete nonsense. I have watched that play over and over and he started his tackle before Jimmy G released the ball AND he actually tried to relax his body and let up on the tackle.
A homer call. We have had a few of them over the years. But certainly not last Sunday.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A homer call. We have had a few of them over the years. But certainly not last Sunday.
Overall, the officiating seemed lousy. Especially on PI calls on both SF and GB. They need to let these guys play. I understand it can be a fine line but that's why professional, experienced officials are used. Anyway, I can't say bad officiating cost the niners the game, or would have cost the Packers the game had they lost. It was just uniformly bad IMO.

And apparently in hindsight that knockout punch on Adams wasn't PI/PF. It sure looked like he took a hard, hard hit to the side of his facemask. I'm just glad he came back to help win the game.

D

Deleted member 6794

Overall, the officiating seemed lousy. Especially on PI calls on both SF and GB. They need to let these guys play. I understand it can be a fine line but that's why professional, experienced officials are used.

In my opinion the NFL needs to finally have all of their crews being full-time employees by the league to improve the officiating.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In my opinion the NFL needs to finally have all of their crews being full-time employees by the league to improve the officiating.
I couldn't find a follow up to this...but it sounds like that was the plan back in 2017. After reading it, I was trying to figure out what these people would be doing for the other 36 hrs of the 26 or so weeks of football and then the 40 hrs during the weeks when there is no Football. I always had this picture of some Ford CEO jumping on a lear jet to ref the Sunday game and then back to the office on Monday. However, the requirements and experience needed is much more stringent.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would have to pay them more with more benefits. Think the owners would buy into it?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Would have to pay them more with more benefits. Think the owners would buy into it?

I haven't read enough to be fully sure, but I think the NFL has seen a bit of a change on officiating over the last 40 or so years. It used to be that these guys were judges, CEO's, etc. Basically, older guys that had proved they were ahead of the pack in brains and work ethics via the business world. They also had a passion for football and serving as a ref not only massaged their ego's but was something they enjoyed. Officiating was kind of a hobby for the well to do. Now with instant replay, home recordings, etc., there comes the need for the job being done precisely and with as much accuracy as we at home can do it frame by frame. Refs are required to have more training and are more scrutinized then ever before.

So while it may not be a full time job in the sense of 40 hour weeks, I think both the men and women that are doing it are much better trained then 40 years ago.

Should they be paid like Football players? No way. But they also have an important enough job, in an industry that makes billions, so the owners have to balance supply and demand with quality and pay.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't read enough to be fully sure, but I think the NFL has seen a bit of a change on officiating over the last 40 or so years. It used to be that these guys were judges, CEO's, etc. Basically, older guys that had proved they were ahead of the pack in brains and work ethics via the business world. They also had a passion for football and serving as a ref not only massaged their ego's but was something they enjoyed. Officiating was kind of a hobby for the well to do. Now with instant replay, home recordings, etc., there comes the need for the job being done precisely and with as much accuracy as we at home can do it frame by frame. Refs are required to have more training and are more scrutinized then ever before.

So while it may not be a full time job in the sense of 40 hour weeks, I think both the men and women that are doing it are much better trained then 40 years ago.

Should they be paid like Football players? No way. But they also have an important enough job, in an industry that makes billions, so the owners have to balance supply and demand with quality and pay.
Certainly we never want to see what happened in 2012 recur. I never so many fans and players so happy to see the real zebras back on the field.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I know ever since Ed Hochuli retired I don't tune in just to watch the officials any more.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know ever since Ed Hochuli retired I don't tune in just to watch the officials any more.
You should, his son Shawn is an official now, but he isn't nearly as pumped up as his Dad was.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I thought they were paid well enough that they didn't have to do other work unless they chose to. Many of them are young, mid-career age and probably want to pursue other careers. But I think what you're saying is get rid of these people, only include full-time officials. There is no reason why they couldn't or shouldn't be part of owners' meetings, rules committees. Maybe they are already. Seems to make sense to have them involved beyond just the games.

But I don't want someone officiating an early game wondering if he or she is gonna make an evening flight for another job come Monday morning.

And maybe I'm reading too much into it. I just thought the officiating for the GB/SF game was uniformly bad.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pretty good point Poker about how scrutinized officials are. And then technology, from cameras everywhere to ultra slow motion - a benefit not available to the human eye. Pretty stressful job and the pay should reflect it.

I would actually prefer if the red flags were eliminated. The maximum number of plays that can be challenged is four. The players are human and do great things and make mistakes. The officials are human and actually do a pretty damn good job. They make mistakes too. The red flags interrupt the flow of the game and I question their worth to the game. Just my opinion. There are good arguments either way.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would actually prefer if the red flags were eliminated.
I doubt they are ever eliminated, unless replaced with something like what the NCAA uses and that is an official (of 3 people) in the booth. I prefer the college process of reviews over what the NFL does. I don't think an NFL team should be limited to a set number of reviews, if the officials got it wrong, why penalize the team by reducing the number of challenges left to them?

Eliminating reviews of any type all together? Never will happen, people now see how bad calls can influence games, but also how they can be corrected.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt they are ever eliminated, unless replaced with something like what the NCAA uses and that is an official (of 3 people) in the booth. I prefer the college process of reviews over what the NFL does. I don't think an NFL team should be limited to a set number of reviews, if the officials got it wrong, why penalize the team by reducing the number of challenges left to them?

Eliminating reviews of any type all together? Never will happen, people now see how bad calls can influence games, but also how they can be corrected.
I guess in the NFL they've tried to find the middle ground. No challenges = not acceptable. Unlimited challenges = not feasible (the games would be constantly interrupted). 2 calls per team with a TO penalty for an incorrect challenge = the middle ground, sort of.

Technology was the driver behind this. With most plays having video from multiple angles, it's easier to get a call correct. And maybe a little quicker. If I were to change anything it would be to not penalize a team for an incorrect challenge. If they only have two challenges, the coaches will be careful anyway in throwing the red flag.

Members online

Latest posts