Official Niners studs n duds

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd add Davante as a stud. He literally took a beating out there last night and came thru, especially those last 2 catches.

ST was only a dud on that kick return. Yesterday was an epic day for Wisconsin sports!
Oh absolutely. Can’t believe I forgot Tae. 12 receptions on the night. He was a big factor in this win!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think those announcers said anything about the obvious lack of flagging on that grounding play. :tdown:
I was wondering the same thing, maybe his arm was being hit as he threw? I'm not sure how it all works. I know they used to have "in the grass" years ago. I'd think if a QB just spikes a ball right in front of him it's grounding vs throwing and getting hit and having his arm trajectory change and it goes right in front of him. But I honestly don't know if they have anything in the rules for that anymore or not?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing, maybe his arm was being hit as he threw? I'm not sure how it all works. I know they used to have "in the grass" years ago. I'd think if a QB just spikes a ball right in front of him it's grounding vs throwing and getting hit and having his arm trajectory change and it goes right in front of him. But I honestly don't know if they have anything in the rules for that anymore or not?
I'm thinking that at least partially, it has to be a judgement call.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't think you can intentionally ground the ball like that anymore, unless your intentions were very clear, like what Rodgers did to get Crosby out on the field for the winning FG. My understanding is that if the QB is in the pocket (between Tackles), the ball has to get past the LOS and be close to an eligible receiver.

This is a pretty decent explanation.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think you can intentionally ground the ball like that anymore, unless your intentions were very clear, like what Rodgers did to get Crosby out on the field for the winning FG. My understanding is that if the QB is in the pocket (between Tackles), the ball has to get past the LOS and be close to an eligible receiver.

This is a pretty decent explanation.

oh, definitely. I didn't mean they could spike it like that anywhere, it must be intentional at the LOS like Rodgers did. I'm just meaning if you're being hit, I'd think they can determine the contact changed the trajectory of the ball and it would just be incomplete.

I do not think that's what happened in that case, I think he was being tackled and decided, **** it, i'm throwing it straight down, and got away with it. i don't remember any receiver there, but they didn't really replay it either.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I do not think that's what happened in that case, I think he was being tackled and decided, **** it, i'm throwing it straight down, and got away with it. i don't remember any receiver there, but they didn't really replay it either.
I replayed it a number of times, the beauty of YouTubeTV....it should have been flagged.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think this same crew was working last nights game! :coffee:

Attachments

• 120927015259-conflict-calls-story-top.jpg
    120927015259-conflict-calls-story-top.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 74

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just gonna say that was an awesome finish. Davante, Rodgers, MVS, Jones, Campbell, Jaire, Crosby all came to play. I think it was a bit of a monkey off our back win too, a game on the coast and not the favorite. Down late in the 4th, it took everything the team has to win that and they did. Hopefully this is a sign that this team has more guts and can dig deeper than years past. Remember, we're going to get healthier along the oline as well so this team has probably not yet hit its ceiling. Hopefully they can keep the momentum going and they're not due for a let down game next week.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just gonna say that was an awesome finish. Davante, Rodgers, MVS, Jones, Campbell, Jaire, Crosby all came to play. I think it was a bit of a monkey off our back win too, a game on the coast and not the favorite. Down late in the 4th, it took everything the team has to win that and they did. Hopefully this is a sign that this team has more guts and can dig deeper than years past. Remember, we're going to get healthier along the oline as well so this team has probably not yet hit its ceiling. Hopefully they can keep the momentum going and they're not due for a let down game next week.
It's a long time to keep momentum going but maybe we will still have a little left to peak during the playoffs.

Reaction score
I think they modified that a bit and even if they had declared it was a pass, it was thrown/fumbled backwards, making it a live ball.

BTW, in case nobody mentioned it, that "roughing the passer" call on Alexander during the 49'ers final TD drive, was complete nonsense. I have watched that play over and over and he started his tackle before Jimmy G released the ball AND he actually tried to relax his body and let up on the tackle.
Yes. Another Dud Ref call on Stokes (Pass interference) in the middle of the field for like 36 yards. Stokes barely even touched the Receiver on the shoulder pad (watched it 3X). We watch that all day long and it never gets called anywhere.

It should’ve been a “touching the shoulder pad with fingers the equivalence of FAIRY DUST!”. That play kept SF alive and nearly cost us the game. I don’t believe we ever lose the lead if the phantom interference/bribery/extortion whatever is left alone. ;)

Also stud for Amos missing the tackle at the 2 with :40 on the game clock. If he makes that tackle? Game over SF wins.
Never been so happy to see a missed tackle.

Studs: this team for proving us all wrong. That game was huge. Might define this season type huge

Stud: all these Rookies and depth players just stepping up and playing with heart.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
LaFleur had a great gameplan last night to help Nijman out. The quick game was on point. I think he only used PA like three times? Very uncharacteristic, but it worked.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LaFleur had a great gameplan last night to help Nijman out. The quick game was on point. I think he only used PA like three times? Very uncharacteristic, but it worked.

It might have been more of an adjustment
Nijman was getting abused by Bosa on the first series, not so much afterwards.
Very pleased with the three kids inside.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Went back over the majority of Garoppolo's throws, and it really stands out how well the Packers tackled.

The entire 49ers offense is about YAC. They don't throw downfield. They throw within 10 yards and get run after.

Apart from Kittle (who is always going to get his), they got almost nothing after the catch. That was huge.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No doubt the Rodgers to Adams connection is super healthy. I just hope that if Adams gets injured or teams can shut him out, Rodgers can find other receivers. I don't ever remember team stats being this lopsided in targets and catches.

Adams has more targets and catches, than all the other Packer WR's combined.

Attachments

• ouRn21f.png
    ouRn21f.png
    238.6 KB · Views: 74

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Anyone notice that Slaton was barely in the game last night? Think 2 plays is all. Injury or just decided to play other guys?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK...play action. Wow. We didn't use play action? I guess that can set up plays in the future.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget Runyon in his second start, Newman and Myers actually tied for the second most starts/experience last night in the game for us.

This Packer O-line has depth, and it seems apparent that the position coaches there are earning their pay.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
OK...play action. Wow. We didn't use play action? I guess that can set up plays in the future.

Yeah, I read that they only used play action three times, which is way off tendency for LaFleur.