OFFICIAL Mike McCarthy Took Back Play callin

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A coach has to put his team in a position to win even before they do win. That is the Jimmy V philosophy. He also needs to sometimes think a little like Woody Hayes.
When you pass the ball 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad.
Michigan botched its punt at the end vs. Michigan State. The Browns had their FG blocked at the end of the Ravens game. Both teams turned sure victory into defeat. However, when you look at distance, weather, and turf in this case, a punt has the greater chance of success. 10 points vs. 13 points is still a 2 score game.

Even with a Brady, Manning, or Brees in that situation most coaches do not throw even if the receiver is Jerry Rice. It's just not sound football. It's trying to be cute.

When the Packers ran the ball late in the NFC Championship, they were called too conservative. If Rodgers throws a TD instead of an INT vs the Raiders, there's no discussing the play call. Execution is more important than the call.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb has QB experience in college. I would really like to see him throw a pass on an end around. Think this would be a great call and give defenses something else to worry about.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the Packers ran the ball late in the NFC Championship, they were called too conservative. If Rodgers throws a TD instead of an INT vs the Raiders, there's no discussing the play call. Execution is more important than the call.
Big difference. It was two fold. In the championship game we were on our side of the 50 ( due to someone deciding to go down instead of returning the INT ) and were up against not only a great defense but a potent offense with Russell Wilson. We needed a first down or two in order to use more clock or set up a FG to give us a 22-7 lead. Worst case scenario we get to their 45 and Mastay could pin them deep instead of at the 28.

In the Raiders game we were already in chip shot range and a 33-20 lead would force them to drive in the rain for 2 quick TDs. And Carr is not Wilson when it comes to escaping a pass rush. Always know who your opponent is and what is their strength and weakness.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big difference. It was two fold. In the championship game we were on our side of the 50 ( due to someone deciding to go down instead of returning the INT ) and were up against not only a great defense but a potent offense with Russell Wilson. We needed a first down or two in order to use more clock or set up a FG to give us a 22-7 lead. Worst case scenario we get to their 45 and Mastay could pin them deep instead of at the 28.

In the Raiders game we were already in chip shot range and a 33-20 lead would force them to drive in the rain for 2 quick TDs. And Carr is not Wilson when it comes to escaping a pass rush. Always know who your opponent is and what is their strength and weakness.

Worst case scenario we move the ball to the 45 and pin them deep? How did you determine that? First of all, there's no guarantee Masthay pins them deep. Secondly, if a pass was called and Rodgers tossed a bad pick like against the Raiders, it would have been a much worse scenario.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Cobb has QB experience in college. I would really like to see him throw a pass on an end around. Think this would be a great call and give defenses something else to worry about.

I think you may see that in playoffs..

I think reason why Cobb is being used so much back there now is to set up for the playoffs..

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worst case scenario we move the ball to the 45 and pin them deep? How did you determine that? First of all, there's no guarantee Masthay pins them deep. Secondly, if a pass was called and Rodgers tossed a bad pick like against the Raiders, it would have been a much worse scenario.
I suspect MM was cautious because of Rodgers' leg injury at the time. But it was do or die for Seattle at that time. They put 9 in the box. There was no way you were going to get a 1st down by handing off even if Adrian Peterson is in your backfield. We played right into their hands. We also had Jordy Nelson on the field then with an injured Richard Sherman trying to cover him with one arm. We had play action success that afternoon underneath. A play fake and toss to a FB or TE could get us across midfield so Seattle does not sell out completely on the run. If not Sherman has to cover Nelson going deep or running a quick sideline post. Rodgers even affirmed that the strategy we took was a formula for not winning. 3 handoffs for -8. Belichick and Brady would have handled the situation much differently. I guess that gives us an idea why the new SB champion dethroned the previous one.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect MM was cautious because of Rodgers' leg injury at the time. But it was do or die for Seattle at that time. They put 9 in the box. There was no way you were going to get a 1st down by handing off even if Adrian Peterson is in your backfield. We played right into their hands. We also had Jordy Nelson on the field then with an injured Richard Sherman trying to cover him with one arm. We had play action success that afternoon underneath. A play fake and toss to a FB or TE could get us across midfield so Seattle does not sell out completely on the run. If not Sherman has to cover Nelson going deep or running a quick sideline post. Rodgers even affirmed that the strategy we took was a formula for not winning. 3 handoffs for -8. Belichick and Brady would have handled the situation much differently. I guess that gives us an idea why the new SB champion dethroned the previous one.
DON'T hijack this thread into another NFCCG fiasco rehash.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much what we expected. Pack are not in the same class as Arizona. But then only a few teams are. Should have taken Rodgers out sooner. Dude could have gotten killed.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Very seriously yes. And let me just say, there are several things to note:

Was the O perfect today? No, obviously we should have come away with a TD on the opening drive, there were a few 3 and outs, some head scratchers in the 3rd quarter, and obviously Rodgers's broken play scramble in the 4th ultimately is what got us the final blows.

But think about something else. Throw out the offense's numbers for now, obviously the big story is what happened with Lacy and the running game. But for now I'm not looking at the offense's numbers as the telling story.

I'm looking more at the fact that even despite any struggles they might have had, there just seemed to be this cohesion, fluidity, and continuity that returned to the offense that really didn't seem to be there apart from maybe week 3 or a little before that. Rodgers wasn't perfect but he seemed to be more decisive, not as confused, it seemed like in this game his receivers for the most part were where he expected them to be, there didn't seem to be as much confusion with the O-line, and whatever they did, somehow they got Randall Cobb and even James Jones to a certain degree, looking like the Randall Cobb we all know. Now I didn't always see the Dallas D, maybe they backed off and didn't play nearly as much cover 0 as some others have, but at the same time it seemed like MM was calling stuff or doing stuff that got them open.

Now there could be multiple things going on. Maybe there was a little more individual effort today than usual, maybe Richard Rodgers's miracle catch did light a little bit of a fire under Cobb, Lacy, or even Adams a little, or even the O-line. Maybe they saw Dallas play Monday and did take them a bit more seriously.

But I gotta think when you see almost a whole new different-looking offense playing a pretty good defense, and the only thing that changed was the play caller? It obviously did something.

Still think the play calling is better?

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still think the play calling is better?

Maybe, maybe not, but something had to be done to try and get this thing going right, and obviously there wasn't going to be a big personnel change at this point in the season, so MM did what he thought might help.

Obviously the issue is rooted deeper than just play calling, a lot in personnel, and Rodgers simply not making the decisions or having the confidence of the old Aaron that we've become accustomed to seeing. Doesn't mean though that it wasn't worth the shot of switching play callers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
in fact---anyone that thought it was Clements should be very
Maybe, maybe not, but something had to be done to try and get this thing going right, and obviously there wasn't going to be a big personnel change at this point in the season, so MM did what he thought might help.

Obviously the issue is rooted deeper than just play calling, a lot in personnel, and Rodgers simply not making the decisions or having the confidence of the old Aaron that we've become accustomed to seeing. Doesn't mean though that it wasn't worth the shot of switching play callers.

Yup worth a shot

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy told Tom Pelissero of USA Today that he will never give up play-calling duties again.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ing-aaron-rodgers-offense-green-bay/88267466/

Well, that could be good or not as good. From reviewing the season and from what's been discussed post-mortem, I've been willing to agree that the wrong issue may not have been that he passed off the play calling, but more so that he moved Clements and Bennett around and essentially left the QB/RB and more so the WR positions uncoached, and that contributed to the decline in production in all those phases.

Having said all that, I've always thought MM was a superb play caller against all the naysayers opinions that have run on this forum. But he did admit to his own fault, that in that 2014 NFC Championship game he had gotten a little too engrossed in the playcalling he missed Richard Sherman's injury, or something. Hopefully though, he will get these receivers routes back to the hot read blitz beating patterns that got the O jumpstarted back in his early days coaching here.

D

Deleted member 6794

From reviewing the season and from what's been discussed post-mortem, I've been willing to agree that the wrong issue may not have been that he passed off the play calling, but more so that he moved Clements and Bennett around and essentially left the QB/RB and more so the WR positions uncoached, and that contributed to the decline in production in all those phases.

The Packers had a designated running back coach in Sam Gash last season. Alex Van Pelt being responsible for both the quarterbacks and wide receivers was a huge mistake though.

Another reason the offense struggled was the lack of combination routes to get WRs open.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that could be good or not as good. From reviewing the season and from what's been discussed post-mortem, I've been willing to agree that the wrong issue may not have been that he passed off the play calling, but more so that he moved Clements and Bennett around and essentially left the QB/RB and more so the WR positions uncoached, and that contributed to the decline in production in all those phases.

Having said all that, I've always thought MM was a superb play caller against all the naysayers opinions that have run on this forum. But he did admit to his own fault, that in that 2014 NFC Championship game he had gotten a little too engrossed in the playcalling he missed Richard Sherman's injury, or something. Hopefully though, he will get these receivers routes back to the hot read blitz beating patterns that got the O jumpstarted back in his early days coaching here.

U don't go 6-0 and him being mvp caliber to 4-6 and him looking average because play calling and wr sucked

No one will ever admit his knee injury during the charger game was the start of the spiral.

No one has to believe me, but remember I was 1st to announce eddy was drinking to much..

Members online

Latest posts