Official Lions studs and duds

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The CFL allows pass interference to be reviewed, and there was a PI in this year's Grey Cup at the end of the game that was not called and after review they did call it and it helped Edmonton to win the game. Maybe if the officials were more competent then I wouldn't advocate it as much, but there seems to be so many missed calls and we now have the technology to see those missed calls. As long as the coaches are limited to how many plays they can challenge, I really don't see it slowing the game down more.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if you want replay to fix the game, why limit the challenges? If you do, then what's the number? and when they only have X number and then one more play decides the game, everyone will be screaming for X+1 reviews and when X+1 isn't enough to catch them all they'll want x+2 and we could literally find some infraction according to the letter of the rule on every single play. Beyond 12 men, I do NOT ever want to see any play penalties as reviewable calls again.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if you want replay to fix the game, why limit the challenges? If you do, then what's the number? and when they only have X number and then one more play decides the game, everyone will be screaming for X+1 reviews and when X+1 isn't enough to catch them all they'll want x+2 and we could literally find some infraction according to the letter of the rule on every single play. Beyond 12 men, I do NOT ever want to see any play penalties as reviewable calls again.

Because that would definitely slow down the game, which I don't want. I think the 2 challenges per team is sufficient, no one has been screaming for more challenges. I just don't want blatant missed calls to cost a team a game, that's all.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I got to the thread late so I did not read everything but man this post sums up Viking fans. What fan base goes to other team's message boards to whine about calls in a game that their team didn't even play. What a sad group. And it isn't just raptor who is a good enough poster it is almost the entire fan base. Everywhere I go Viking fans are whining about the call. I have never been invested enough in the Vikings to complain about how the refs give them every win. I will watch their games when I can and bicker back and forth with their fans but that is it. It even flows to the their players. Ap was on Twitter whining about the pass interference well he meant to say face mask but he is t the sharpest tool in the shed. Even their players whine

Fyi

Raptor has been here longer than some packers fans..he is also well respected here..just because he is a purple fan doesnt mean he can express his opinions.

Please dont just assume an opposing fan cant be objective...

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fyi

Raptor has been here longer than some packers fans..he is also well respected here..just because he is a purple fan doesnt mean he can express his opinions.

Please dont just assume an opposing fan cant be objective...

I know he has been here longer than me. I do question his objectivity bc he isnt objective. Just like I am not about the Vikings. No fan is objective about their rival. I never said he couldnt express his opinion, but I have the right to disagree with his opinion. I apologize if I crossed some line. My point was Viking fans spend a lot of time talking about how the Packers get all the calls and then showed how raptor had done it immediately following the game. I said he was a good enough poster and wasnt trying to call him out. I will try to be more respectful in my posting

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Illegal touching. int grounding, passing past the los. And I think there is one more.
  • Any scoring play. They automatically get looking at upstairs by the replay official.
  • Any turnover. These also are automatically looked at.
  • Receptions. This covers a wide variety of things, including whether a player caught the ball cleanly, if his feet were in bounds and if he had possession.
  • Spot of ball. If a coach wants to challenge to see if his team made a first down or simply thinks he got robbed on a bad spot, he can throw the red flag.
  • Any reviewable play which takes place in the final two minutes can't be challenged. It must be initiated by the replay official.
  • If a kick goes over or under the crossbar, or if it goes wide of an upright provided the ball is below the top of said upright.
  • If a player fumbled prior to being down by contact.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I know he has been here longer than me. I do question his objectivity bc he isnt objective. Just like I am not about the Vikings. No fan is objective about their rival. I never said he couldnt express his opinion, but I have the right to disagree with his opinion. I apologize if I crossed some line.

Its ok..

I have seen fans here blast raptor before and just wanted to make it clear rap isnt a troll

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because that would definitely slow down the game, which I don't want. I think the 2 challenges per team is sufficient, no one has been screaming for more challenges. I just don't want blatant missed calls to cost a team a game, that's all.
We didn't have replay, then we had replay, then we didn't and then they reinstated with limits and restrictions on what could be reviewed. I don't think it's done much to quell controversy at all. Every week there is controversy. And now we automatically review turnovers and all scoring. The booth reviews everything inside 2 min and coaches get challenges. We've been adding reviews since its bee reinstated and we have as much controversy as ever.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slowmo shows it wasn't a face mask penalty. It did show a horse collar, which should have been called. Can't get everything right.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ARTICLE 4. REVIEWABLE PLAYS. The Replay System will cover the following play situations only:
(a) Plays involving possession, including:
(1) Whether a pass was complete, incomplete, intercepted in the field of play, at sideline, goal line, end zone, and end
line
(2) Whether a loose ball was recovered in the field of play, at sideline, goal line, end zone, and end line
(3) Whether a player (passer) fumbled or threw a pass
(4) Whether a pass has been thrown forward or backward
(5) Whether there has been an illegal forward handoff
(6) Whether a runner fumbled or was down by contact
(b) Plays involving touching, including:
(1) Whether a forward pass has been touched by any player
(2) Whether a runner is down by defensive contact
(3) Whether a loose ball has been touched by a player
(4) Whether the ball has touched a pylon
(5) Whether a kick has been touched
(6) Whether a loose ball in play has struck a video board, guide wire, Skycam, or any other object
(c) Plays governed by the goal line, including:
(1) Scoring plays, including the ball breaking the plane of the goal line
(a) Whether a Field Goal or Try attempt has crossed below or above the crossbar, inside or outside the uprights
when it is lower than the top of the uprights, or has touched anything
(2) Whether there has been a touchback, when the on-field ruling involves a runner’s momentum
(d) Plays governed by the sidelines, including:
(1) Whether a runner/receiver is in or out of bounds
(2) Whether a loose ball touches a boundary line or anything on or outside such line
(e) Plays governed by the end lines, including:
(1) Whether a runner/receiver is in or out of bounds
(2) Whether a loose ball is in or out of bounds
(f) Plays governed by the line of scrimmage, including:
(1) Whether a forward pass has been thrown from beyond or behind the line of scrimmage
(2) Whether a forward pass has been thrown from behind the line of scrimmage after the ball has been beyond the line
(g) Other
(1) The position of the ball with respect to a first down
(2) Whether more than 11 players were on the field at the snap
Notes:
(1) If an on-field ruling of a dead ball (down by contact, out of bounds, or incomplete forward pass) is changed, the
ball belongs to the recovering player at the spot of the recovery, and any advance is nullified. If the ball goes out
of bounds in an end zone, the result of the play will be either a touchback or a safety.
(2) If the on-field ruling is a dead ball, any recovery must occur in the continuing action following the loss of
possession.
(3) If the Referee does not have indisputable visual evidence as to which player recovered the loose ball, or that the
ball went out of bounds, the ruling on the field will stand.
(3) The game clock, in situations in which time is deemed to have expired during or after the last play of the first
or second half, or of an overtime period in the preseason or regular season, or of an overtime half in the
postseason. Time shall be put back on the game clock if there has been an error in the operation of the
game clock. In the first half, time shall be restored only if the additional play will be a snap from scrimmage.
In the second half, time shall be restored only if it is a one-score game (eight points or less), and the
additional play will be a snap from scrimmage by the team that is behind in the score, or by either team if the
score is tied.
Notes:
(1) A timing error is defined as having occurred only when the visual evidence demonstrates that more than
one second should be put on the clock.
(2) A correction of a timing error for a team timeout may be made only if there is visual evidence of an
official’s signal.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  • Any scoring play. They automatically get looking at upstairs by the replay official.
  • Any turnover. These also are automatically looked at.
  • Receptions. This covers a wide variety of things, including whether a player caught the ball cleanly, if his feet were in bounds and if he had possession.
  • Spot of ball. If a coach wants to challenge to see if his team made a first down or simply thinks he got robbed on a bad spot, he can throw the red flag.
  • Any reviewable play which takes place in the final two minutes can't be challenged. It must be initiated by the replay official.
  • If a kick goes over or under the crossbar, or if it goes wide of an upright provided the ball is below the top of said upright.
  • If a player fumbled prior to being down by contact.

The question was about what types of penalties are reviewable, not the ones you posted.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Slowmo shows it wasn't a face mask penalty. It did show a horse collar, which should have been called. Can't get everything right.

Horse collar cant be inside tackle box and inside a pocket and by a runner...rodgers was a runner at that point as he wasnt inside a pocket..

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Horse collar cant be inside tackle box and inside a pocket and by a runner...rodgers was a runner at that point as he wasnt inside a pocket..

Not really sure what your point is. Are you saying it should or should not have been a horse collar? Rodgers was a runner at that point, but once a play goes outside the tackle box, which it did in this case, then the 'inside the tackle box' rule no longer applies, even if a runner comes back inside the original tackle box so a horse collar could have been called.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like illegal formation can also be reviewed as NO just challenged that. I guess actually it is still 12 men on the field is what they were challenging.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not really sure what your point is. Are you saying it should or should not have been a horse collar? Rodgers was a runner at that point, but once a play goes outside the tackle box, which it did in this case, then the 'inside the tackle box' rule no longer applies, even if a runner comes back inside the original tackle box so a horse collar could have been called.

Typing on my phone in grocery line at the time, guess it was confusing.

I dont think it was even in the area of jersey that could be horse collar...that is what I 1st thought then looked into the rule...Hard to find a rule for this..but found this...

So I am pretty sure it couldnt have been a horse collar at all for the spot of the grab and the actual area Rodgers was on the field.

From the 2009 NFL Rulebook

Section 12, Section 2 Personal Fouls,

Article 1:

All players are prohibited from:

(d) grabbing the inside collar of the back of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling down the runner. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.

When ball was snapped, it was between the hash marks...Then after the ball was lateraled a few times and he got it back, he was inside the hash marks, and there wasnt a clear pocket for him anymore...

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I think once a play leaves the tackle box then the tackle box is no longer a factor, even if a runner would happen to come back inside where the tackle box originally was. I could be wrong, but I just don't believe a ref would not throw flag for a horse collar in that case. Plus, where Rodgers was tackled was 5 yards beyond the original LOS and that would not be in the tackle box (as the tackle box goes back from the LOS, not forward).

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
But I think once a play leaves the tackle box then the tackle box is no longer a factor, even if a runner would happen to come back inside where the tackle box originally was. I could be wrong, but I just don't believe a ref would not throw flag for a horse collar in that case. Plus, where Rodgers was tackled was 5 yards beyond the original LOS and that would not be in the tackle box (as the tackle box goes back from the LOS, not forward).

Yup I agree 100 %

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup I agree 100 %

But I thought you said "So I am pretty sure it couldnt have been a horse collar at all for the spot of the grab and the actual area Rodgers was on the field."

I'm saying it could have been a horse collar and I thought you were saying that it couldn't. Then you say you agree with me 100% - you've got me confused. :)

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
But I thought you said "So I am pretty sure it couldnt have been a horse collar at all for the spot of the grab and the actual area Rodgers was on the field."

I'm saying it could have been a horse collar and I thought you were saying that it couldn't. Then you say you agree with me 100% - you've got me confused. :)

sigh

i dont think it would have even been a horse collar at all---where he was grabbed on the jersey couldnt have been called..

and the spot on field..by definition of rule I read, I recall him being tackled at the 24---los was at 21..So he wasnt in a pocket. Only a runner..

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also worth noting it was their first.

Yes it was, but your post said they've won without Gronk, which they have not done.

EDIT: Upon reading his first post, it doesn't say they've won without him. It does talk about him being out and the Patriots still doing well though. They have not won without him.

Last edited:

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sigh

i dont think it would have even been a horse collar at all---where he was grabbed on the jersey couldnt have been called..

and the spot on field..by definition of rule I read, I recall him being tackled at the 24---los was at 21..So he wasnt in a pocket. Only a runner..

Ok, I understand you now. I thought you were saying it couldn't have been called a horse collar not only because where he grabbed the jersey but also because of the spot on the field where it happened (you did use 'and' which is what confused me). A runner can not be horse collared either if he is in the tackle box which is what I thought you were saying.

Members online