Official Lions studs and duds

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is, people will, for the rest of the year talk about how the Packers were "given" a game by the refs. You will hear over and over again. It won't go away. Just like the Fail mary in Seattle.

Short or selective memory over there in Minisota. How about this game from 2008: the difference between 0-16 and 1-15 for Detroit. And a division title and playoffs or second place and done for the Queens. http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=281012016

Sky King

Reaction score
Barclay got smoked on the last play of the game and Rodgers quite nearly got sacked on a three-man rush. Then, Barclay recovered enough to barely miss getting penalized for blocking in the back. He struggled all game long. He's struggled all season long. Disappointing.

This one puzzles me. He played well enough that season he subbed for Bulaga that he looked to have a bright future ahead of him. Then he injured his knee. Since he has returned from that injury he has not looked at all like the same player, now performing somewhere between serviceable and (leaning somewhat more) towards being a liability. His football instincts and experience are not counter-balancing his lack of health or limited talent. That's the part that's puzzling me. Is it still the knee or what?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barclay was always a limited guy, at best a career backup that you don't want on the field too much.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds. The Refs. The poor penalty calling is getting to be to much. If they don't do something about it soon people are going to stop watching. Don't take this the wrong way. But when a bad penalty called or un-called ends up deciding the outcome of a game it's a problem.

I got to the thread late so I did not read everything but man this post sums up Viking fans. What fan base goes to other team's message boards to whine about calls in a game that their team didn't even play. What a sad group. And it isn't just raptor who is a good enough poster it is almost the entire fan base. Everywhere I go Viking fans are whining about the call. I have never been invested enough in the Vikings to complain about how the refs give them every win. I will watch their games when I can and bicker back and forth with their fans but that is it. It even flows to the their players. Ap was on Twitter whining about the pass interference well he meant to say face mask but he is t the sharpest tool in the shed. Even their players whine

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But back-ups are still paid professionals. They should be able to step in when necessary and keep the team working.
That's correct. Check out the Patriots' injury list. 11 on IR; best TE in the game out; their best WR out; another WR out; etc. Belichek, whom I can't stand, expects the next man up to do the job--and they do; time after time, year after year. And it isn't as if our starting offensive linemen were dominating the LOS this year. If we didn't have one of the most mobile QBs in the league he'd be killed by now by the other teams' 4 man rushes.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Short or selective memory over there in Minisota. How about this game from 2008: the difference between 0-16 and 1-15 for Detroit. And a division title and playoffs or second place and done for the Queens. http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=281012016
A couple of things about that game. First, the penalty happened at the 2:22 mark. The FG was kicked with 12 seconds left. The Vikings ran 6 plays after the penalty. And you think that compares to what happened the other night? That was also the Lions 5th game of the season. They had 11 more chances to win a game. To claim that one play is the difference between 0-16 an 1-15 is disingenuous and stretch by any means. Just how long did it take you to find it?

And as to the playoffs. The Vikings held the tiebreaker over the Bears in common games, which is were it would have fallen to if the Lions had won that game. So they would have won the division anyway.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I got to the thread late so I did not read everything but man this post sums up Viking fans. What fan base goes to other team's message boards to whine about calls in a game that their team didn't even play. What a sad group. And it isn't just raptor who is a good enough poster it is almost the entire fan base. Everywhere I go Viking fans are whining about the call. I have never been invested enough in the Vikings to complain about how the refs give them every win. I will watch their games when I can and bicker back and forth with their fans but that is it. It even flows to the their players. Ap was on Twitter whining about the pass interference well he meant to say face mask but he is t the sharpest tool in the shed. Even their players whine
First, I didn't come here. I am always here. More so than a lot of Packer fans. Second, I am not whining. Funny anytime a fan of another teams makes a comment about something that happened in Packer game it's whining. Get over it. I understand why the penalty was called. It would be called 99% of the time. Does not mean it's right or wrong. I was simply pointing out that in my opinion it was a bad call. As far as a being such a sad group, I'll take that with a grain of salt. After all, if I am not a Packer fan, I must be an idiot.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, I didn't come here. I am always here. More so than a lot of Packer fans. Second, I am not whining. Funny anytime a fan of another teams makes a comment about something that happened in Packer game it's whining. Get over it. I understand why the penalty was called. It would be called 99% of the time. Does not mean it's right or wrong. I was simply pointing out that in my opinion it was a bad call. As far as a being such a sad group, I'll take that with a grain of salt. After all, if I am not a Packer fan, I must be an idiot.

Never said you were an idiot. Said you were a good enough poster. Ok next time you come here and post about how the Packers were the poor end of the call then I will take back my comments. Have never seen a Viking fan do that for the Packers...ever. Not after the fail mary, the arizona playoff game, and on. Every team gets hosed by calls and every team is the beneficiary of calls. Happens every week. It is just that Viking fans (and this is going off a thread on a Viking board) think they never get the calls and the Packers get all of them. Many seriously believe there is an NFL bias for the Packers. They need to take the tin foil hats off

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Never said you were an idiot. Said you were a good enough poster. Ok next time you come here and post about how the Packers were the poor end of the call then I will take back my comments. Have never seen a Viking fan do that for the Packers...ever. Not after the fail mary, the arizona playoff game, and on. Every team gets hosed by calls and every team is the beneficiary of calls. Happens every week. It is just that Viking fans (and this is going off a thread on a Viking board) think they never get the calls and the Packers get all of them. Many seriously believe there is an NFL bias for the Packers. They need to take the tin foil hats off
Many believe there is a bias toward certain QB's. And yes I do as well. Certain QB's "seem" to get better calls than others. I don't know if it's true or not. All I know is I see non-elite QB's getting hit in the head all the time and it's hardly ever called.

And yes, I have talked about the Packers getting the short end on calls. I call them as I see them.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many believe there is a bias toward certain QB's. And yes I do as well. Certain QB's "seem" to get better calls than others. I don't know if it's true or not. All I know is I see non-elite QB's getting hit in the head all the time and it's hardly ever called.

And yes, I have talked about the Packers getting the short end on calls. I call them as I see them.

Over the past 3 years Rodgers has got two more roughing calls than Vikings qbs. Brady has got the same as Viking qbs. With how much more those two pass compared to the Vikings I would say it is a wash. Rodgers is right at the league average. I think Jacksonville has the most so the refs must love bortles

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's correct. Check out the Patriots' injury list. 11 on IR; best TE in the game out; their best WR out; another WR out; etc. Belichek, whom I can't stand, expects the next man up to do the job--and they do; time after time, year after year. And it isn't as if our starting offensive linemen were dominating the LOS this year. If we didn't have one of the most mobile QBs in the league he'd be killed by now by the other teams' 4 man rushes.

It's worth noting that in the game that Gronk went out they ended up losing.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Over the past 3 years Rodgers has got two more roughing calls than Vikings qbs. Brady has got the same as Viking qbs. With how much more those two pass compared to the Vikings I would say it is a wash. Rodgers is right at the league average. I think Jacksonville has the most so the refs must love bortles
And do you have the number of times they have been hit to go with that? A QB that gets hit 50 times a year with 5 calls is doing better than one that is hit 100 times a year an getting 6 calls.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And do you have the number of times they have been hit to go with that? A QB that gets hit 50 times a year with 5 calls is doing better than one that is hit 100 times a year an getting 6 calls.

Rodgers was sacked the 2nd most times in the league in 2012. In 2013 he was sacked the 9th most times. And then last year he bumped up and was sacked less than half of the other qbs. Those first two years he was sacked more than Minnesota qb while getting almost identical roughing calls. Last year it changes. However it is pretty obvious Rodgers gets hit more than the average qb and gets roughing calls at the normal rate. It is the conspiracy theorist in us that makes us think it is different. The stats are quite clear but when we build a theory in our mind stats probably won't suffice.

I am not saying you are different than most fans. In the NBA if someone showed me stats that said Michael Jordan wasn't fouled any more frequently than other guards who drove to the rim as much as him I still probably would think he got all the calls. Why? Because I grew up hating the Bulls. Just like I don't expect stats to change you or any Viking fan's about Rodgers not getting calls even when the stats challenge the narrative

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Rodgers was sacked the 2nd most times in the league in 2012. In 2013 he was sacked the 9th most times. And then last year he bumped up and was sacked less than half of the other qbs. Those first two years he was sacked more than Minnesota qb while getting almost identical roughing calls. Last year it changes. However it is pretty obvious Rodgers gets hit more than the average qb and gets roughing calls at the normal rate. It is the conspiracy theorist in us that makes us think it is different. The stats are quite clear but when we build a theory in our mind stats probably won't suffice.

I am not saying you are different than most fans. In the NBA if someone showed me stats that said Michael Jordan wasn't fouled any more frequently than other guards who drove to the rim as much as him I still probably would think he got all the calls. Why? Because I grew up hating the Bulls. Just like I don't expect stats to change you or any Viking fan's about Rodgers not getting calls even when the stats challenge the narrative
I would like to know were you are getting your numbers from. BTW, Jordan traveled all the damn time and was very rarely called for it.

I would like to see a number were they use the number of hits, not just sacks. Because a QB can be hit 15 times a game and not sacked once. Most roughing the passer plays are after the QB gets rid of the ball, so sacks is not good figure to use in my eyes.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of things about that game. First, the penalty happened at the 2:22 mark. The FG was kicked with 12 seconds left. The Vikings ran 6 plays after the penalty. And you think that compares to what happened the other night? That was also the Lions 5th game of the season. They had 11 more chances to win a game. To claim that one play is the difference between 0-16 an 1-15 is disingenuous and stretch by any means. Just how long did it take you to find it?

And as to the playoffs. The Vikings held the tiebreaker over the Bears in common games, which is were it would have fallen to if the Lions had won that game. So they would have won the division anyway.

Your point, I believe, was that the officials gave the game Thursday night to the Packers. I was just wondering why you weren't even when it came to a game the officiating gave to the Vikes. But I will say your side has a unique way of handling things when an official does blow a game for your club.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to know were you are getting your numbers from. BTW, Jordan traveled all the damn time and was very rarely called for it.

I would like to see a number were they use the number of hits, not just sacks. Because a QB can be hit 15 times a game and not sacked once. Most roughing the passer plays are after the QB gets rid of the ball, so sacks is not good figure to use in my eyes.

If a QB is getting sacked a lot he is probably get hit a lot. Not a perfect correlation but one that does help to disprove the notion brady and rodgers get so many calls. Seriously if it is 2 to 4 a year it isn't a lot no matter what.

Here is one of the sites I used. http://www.nflpenalties.com

I won't debate this anymore bc I don't think there is a single stat I could show you that would change your mind

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not sure why number of hits or even sacks would be a factor in determining whether or not certain qbs get preferential treatment. IMO, it should be the number of borderline roughing the passer calls a qb gets that really determines that. And yes, I realize borderline calls are also subjective.

Members online

Latest posts