Official Lions studs and duds

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there is a time limit it needs to be enforced better IMO. Also the combination of the time limit and eliminating slow motion reviews would result in fewer overturned calls which IMO would make officials more decisive.

No sense talking about taking slow motion out of replay since that is never gonna happen.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For example, the ability to review any passing play to see if a holding penalty occurred that wasn’t called would be impractical. No one is calling for that

If no one is calling for that then why are they saying all plays should be reviewable? I know what you mean and even the people who say "all call should be reviewable" will back pedal and say "well yeah, obviously not all plays" but they still say all plays.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
No sense talking about taking slow motion out of replay since that is never gonna happen.
I didn't post it would happen, it's something I'd like to see happen. But speaking of things that won't happen:
I would also be in favor of changing the current rule where in the last 2 minutes of each half only the replay booth can challenge a play.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dez Bryant catch that was ruled a no catch proves that replay is not guaranteed to be correct. Same with the horrible call wiping out the winning td by the badgers against northwestern. Years ago one of the owners opposed to replay said it simply allowed one person with poor judgement to overrule another. There's lots of truth in this. Especially involving a catch, which no one seems to understand.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point - but do you really think the NFL is going to eliminate slow motion replays?
What do I think the NFL is going to do? expand it, they can slice it a million different ways, but i think they're going to add to it, not take anything away. Now what do I want to happen? Get officials with a keen eye, a love for the game, a feel for the flow and the balls to make a call when they see it and live by it. That's what I want.

Instead I'm sure the day where every loose ball will be called a fumble, for the "just in case" and let replay decide it, but then it won't be obvious and a call that the ref had a good angle, but err'd on the side of replay, didn't make the call, and there will be no angle to show anything obvious, and teams will be screwed that way.

It's not going to stop people from being screwed, it's going to screw them from different ways.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dez Bryant catch that was ruled a no catch proves that replay is not guaranteed to be correct. Same with the horrible call wiping out the winning td by the badgers against northwestern. Years ago one of the owners opposed to replay said it simply allowed one person with poor judgement to overrule another. There's lots of truth in this. Especially involving a catch, which no one seems to understand.

The damn definition is too complicated that's why. A normal person can look at replay regardless of a "football move" or going to the ground stuff and say to themselves... "Did he catch the ball?" It's not rocket science.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree that replay does not guarantee that every play they review will be called correctly - since there will always be a human element to it. But I would say that replay helps in correcting a lot more incorrect calls than not, and that having replay is better than none at all.

Members online

Latest posts